Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:46 am

Loosing Weight. 
Post Re: Loosing Weight.
Nothing is wrong with Firefly's weight. If BMI is to believed (it's not always the greatest metric) then Firefly's BMI of 19.8 is still comfortably in the "Normal" range. Underweight starts from 18.4 so he'd have to drop to 128 pounds to have a low BMI or to start being considered as underweight.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm
I have just gone below 14 Stone.
I have started training for a half marathon in May.
i am currently running 6.3 km in 46 mins

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am
That's great 604!

What's a stone where you are?

(-To me, it's like saying 'about as long as a piece of rope'.)

By my math you're holding 5.1 miles per hour or about 8.2kph. I'll have to think about that next time my sad-ass climbs on the treadmill.

Workouts have been intensifying on my end as well. I've started doing hill-sprints on the mountain bike for power and spin-ups for cardio. I've got a small hill near my house, but will hit some larger ones as the weather breaks warmer. We've still got over a foot of snow in most places, so I've been sticking with pavement for now.
I finally saw my weight fall below 170 this week. Definitely makes pushups easier.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
That's great 604!

What's a stone where you are?

(-To me, it's like saying 'about as long as a piece of rope'.)

By my math you're holding 5.1 miles per hour or about 8.2kph. I'll have to think about that next time my sad-ass climbs on the treadmill.

Workouts have been intensifying on my end as well. I've started doing hill-sprints on the mountain bike for power and spin-ups for cardio. I've got a small hill near my house, but will hit some larger ones as the weather breaks warmer. We've still got over a foot of snow in most places, so I've been sticking with pavement for now.
I finally saw my weight fall below 170 this week. Definitely makes pushups easier.

I think a stone's about 14 pounds or 14 kilos

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:00 pm
1 stone = 14 pounds, about 6.3 kilos

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 pm
Cinematographer

I stalled out around the 200 lb. mark for awhile. Now at 197 and like others I'm trying to up my workout level. Have started to alternate short runs within my walks. Hoping to build up to 2 mile runs in a month or so. Then I'll be able to complete my two miles in half the time it takes to walk and can use that extra time for weights or other cardio.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:24 pm
Director

This Monday, I'm planning on starting a cardio based workout. Would someone give me an idea of how long a person to jog to begin a workout.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile YIM
http://running.about.com/od/getstartedw ... sguide.htm

Lots of good info here. /\

I don't know your starting fitness level, but I'd suggest 'cycling'. Carry a watch or timer. Walk for about 5 minutes and then run for 20-30 seconds. Walk again. Repeat. Do this for a few days and gradually increase running by 15 second intervals over the course of a few weeks, subtracting time from your walking. Go for duration, not distance.

-Be sure you're burning good fuel, and rebuilding properly after a good workout.

Look through some old copies of "Runner's World" at your library, if you can find them. They almost always have 'the basics" type articles. I've found those intensely useful. I'm not running yet, but will be when our snow is gone.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am
I ran a 7.7 route last night at 51 min 30 secs.
I have come to the conclusion that the best way to loose weight from exercise is to leave the gym and run outside.
in the last 2 - 3 weeks I have much better results than going to the gym.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:44 pm
It shouldn't be about the numbers, guys. It's about burning fat and gaining muscle. Shouldn't really care what the scale says.

That being said, I don't need to lose any weight (I'm 150 lbs, 5 foot 10), but I would like some more definition/tone, mostly in the abdominal region. God damn my Irish blood...my arms and muscly and sexy but I have a pseudo-beer gut...

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:
It shouldn't be about the numbers, guys. It's about burning fat and gaining muscle. Shouldn't really care what the scale says.

That being said, I don't need to lose any weight (I'm 150 lbs, 5 foot 10), but I would like some more definition/tone, mostly in the abdominal region. God damn my Irish blood...my arms and muscly and sexy but I have a pseudo-beer gut...

Those are pretty much my numbers too, Timmy. Except I have have no claim to muscly and sexy arms. So it goes.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:41 pm
my claim to sexy arms is by default. I didn't actually do anything to get them this way...they just are. Although I do play the drums and that probably has a little bit more to do with it than my belief that it's just my Irish disposition. Suffice to say, I'd rather have lanky, skinnier arms in exchange for some abs.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:22 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
my claim to sexy arms is by default. I didn't actually do anything to get them this way...they just are. Although I do play the drums and that probably has a little bit more to do with it than my belief that it's just my Irish disposition. Suffice to say, I'd rather have lanky, skinnier arms in exchange for some abs.

Simply flip the pedals on your bass and top hat to be 'lifters' instead of pushers. Use your abs to scissors them and each session becomes an ab-workout. -Presto! :lol:

It's going to be about toning/shaping muscle.

As far as gaining muscle, unless you're doing some uber hard-core, supplimented body-building, you can only gain about 1-1.5lbs of muscle per month for about the first 6 months. After that, it is going to be about around 1/2 -3/4lb. If you're beyond 40 years of age, you have to work to maintain muscle mass as you will be losing a percentage of existing each year.
according to:
The Fat-Free Truth: Real Answers to the Fitness and Weight-Loss Questions You Wonder About Most
Suzanne Schlosberg (Author)
Liz Neporent (Author)
and also:
Ride Your Way Lean: The Ultimate Plan for Burning Fat and Getting Fit on a Bike
Selene Yeager, and the Bicycling Magazine Editors

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 am
So, it would appear that I've lost my ass. Literally. Shit.

I've found it quite easy to stay on course with our (New Year's Resolutions) lifestyle changes and commensurate dietary changes, and I have lost about 25lbs. I still have about 15 more to go to reach the goal I've set for myself and a weight that is more ideal for my frame, but I digress...
The wife made a comment a couple of days ago that gave me pause. Sometime later, I verified in a mirror, and it would appear that I have no ass. My backside looks like someone stood up a frog and slid some denim onto it.
I'm reasonably certain that my cycling shorts won't fit properly anymore, as I've punched two additional holes in the belt that I wear with pants. So that's a bummer. Those were expensive.

Unintended consequences are a bitch.

I thought you all might enjoy a laugh at my* expense.

* or is it?? -raises one eyebrow...

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 pm
What, what, in the butt?

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:35 pm
I have completed my first half marathon.
13 miles completed in 2 hr 42 minutes.
The time was slow but I got there in the end.
I might try a 10k run in June

Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 am
I'm in England with my mom for 2 weeks
She seems to be on a mission to make me fatter!
Constant food, sweets, drinks....

Rob

Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 am