Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 am

Loosing Weight. 
Post Loosing Weight.
I saw there that Awf Hand has put a topic called "For 2011 I resolve to:".
Most people including myself put down LOOSE WEIGHT.
So I thought that i would this thread to encourage everyone who posted to Auf Hand's thread to do so .
So going forward Can I suggest that if you posted that you wanted to loose weight then in this thread tell us how much you weigh now, how much you would like to weigh, what methods you have been using.
Perhaps if we all combine our knowledge of loosing weight we might be more successfull.
Therefotre I will start the ball roling.
I currently weigh 93 Kilograms ( around 14 3/4 stone)
I would like to weigh 83 Kilograms (around 13 stone)
I am going to Gym 2 twice a week ad am hoping to burn between 1300 and 1500 calories per visit.
I have cut back on sweet and fatty takeaways.
I have given my self a deadline of 10/5/11.
There is a triathalon going on I am hoping tio enter it.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 am
Post Re: Loosing Weight.
Ahem, "LOSE WEIGHT".

:geek:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 am
As of January 1st, I weighed around 193lb or 87.5kg. I had pushed over 190 through the Christmas season and NY eve. My goal is 160, but I'll be happy with a maintainable 165lb or around 75kg. The wife is doing this with me as well. We have to work as a team because if one of us is telling the other to move the exercise bike so he/she can see the TV and snack, this WILL fail for both.*

In our house, we've had to undergo a complete dietary transformation, as a "diet" was not going to work. Changing eating habits JUST to lose weight... then what? The weight is lost...the goal is reached... do we go back to eating "normally" again?? Bullshit! The foods that we eat have had to change.
We're using portion control, along with higher protein, higher dietary fiber, lower fat, and massively lower refined sugars. This involves more whole grains, more lean meats, more leafy -or colorful- vegetables, and a lot more legumes. It also removes or minimizes starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes and many breads. So far it has not felt like deprivation, it has simply been a shift in ingredient content. Also, I no longer view a donut (or whatever) as a treat, but as a barrier standing between me and my goals. FU donut.

We've also boosted activity in our house and will start doing the Wii EA Sports Active training (again) next week. We both started out strong, but also both suffered injury-setbacks by overdoing or improperly doing the exercises. I'm cleared for activity again and have been on the stationary bike (TriCycle DVD with Mindy Mylrea = Awesome!) and the wife is cleared for a next week start. Jan 31 we'll be up at 6am to work out before the day begins and each morning following. That is when the work will begin (again) and special attention will be paid to eliminate injury.

The diet is the biggest change, and as the wife works for a health and wellness company she will become her own testimonial. My goal awaits in June, with several cycling goals to follow.

Results?
3 weeks in, I'm at 185, or about 8lbs down from Jan 1. Realistically, I'm only counting about 5lbs of loss, as my notes are unclear as to clothing weight at my initial. My energy level is great. I take the stairs or the-long-way and will walk to the store when it's not 20 below @#$%ing zero. Losing weight too fast is (to me) false accomplishment. Easy come, easy go. This is a transformation and will take time. After last night's session on the exercise bike, I realized that I am where I was last May in my riding season prep, and still have 4 months room for training. This year I've got some training benchmarks that I've NEVER set/met before. Not in my teens. Not ever. I've got to work a bit more slowly to get there, as I seem more injury prone at age 40 than I was at age 15, but I will be there.

*My cinematic journey was put on hold, as the wife lost enjoyment with my film choices. Those of you who are married know what can happen. This journey will resume, but will be dependent on her work schedule -no more 4-5 movies a week- and my training schedule.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 am
Awf Hand wrote:
In our house, we've had to undergo a complete dietary transformation, as a "diet" was not going to work. Changing eating habits JUST to lose weight... then what? The weight is lost...the goal is reached... do we go back to eating "normally" again?? Bullshit! The foods that we eat have had to change.

We're using portion control, along with higher protein, higher dietary fiber, lower fat, and massively lower refined sugars. This involves more whole grains, more lean meats, more leafy -or colorful- vegetables, and a lot more legumes. It also removes or minimizes starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes and many breads.

Sound advice. No diet ever works, you simply have to change your diet. I lost over 30 pounds over a few years just by making a few small changes: eliminated all carbonated sodas (just water, tea & 100% juice now) and restricted the amount of "white" carbs in my diet (switched to whole wheat wherever possible).

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm
Cinematographer

At the beginning of Sept. I weighed 236 lbs. When posting in awf's thread I weighed 206 lbs. I now weighed 202 lbs. I eliminated most of the fat from my diet. I'm walking 2 miles each weekday when the weather is reasonable, or do 45 minutes of moderate work on a machine (eliptical, stationary bike, treadmill) when it is not. My goal is 175 lbs and may be re-evaluated after reaching that point.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 pm
CasualDad wrote:
At the beginning of Sept. I weighed 236 lbs. When posting in awf's thread I weighed 206 lbs. I now weighed 202 lbs. I eliminated most of the fat from my diet. I'm walking 2 miles each weekday when the weather is reasonable, or do 45 minutes of moderate work on a machine (eliptical, stationary bike, treadmill) when it is not. My goal is 175 lbs and may be re-evaluated after reaching that point.

Good for you! Losing weight isn't an easy thing, but it improves both your physical and mental health when you do.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:22 pm
In about the last year and a half I've lost 70 pounds. The way I did it was I became neurotic about my weight. I weigh myself multiple times a day. I always know exactly what I weigh. I worked out a little bit and didn't follow any particular diet, I just ate less then I used to. All that matters is that you don't take in more than you lose. Just take it slow. A pound a week isn't difficult.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:16 pm
I was supposed to go to the gym tonight but I had to work.
I will hopefully get to it tomorrow.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm
I almost feel like a bad person for smiling at the fact you misspelt lose twice.

Anyways, towards the end of last year I decided I was going to lose a whole lot of weight. It's pretty rare that I actually weigh myself, but at my worst I was around 102kg (224lb). My plan; exercise like freakin crazy, eat smaller portions and cut out most of the junk. Truth be told, I've never been that bad when it comes to junk food, but I do snack a bit too often and I do like big meals.

The result, after about 4 months is a loss of about 15kg (33lbs). My goal at the moment is to be around 80kg, but really I just want to keep it up until I'm happy with the way I look. Once the weight is off, I'll reduce the amount of cardio I'm doing (which is pretty crazy at the moment) and work on building up muscle instead.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 pm
Gone from 206 on Dec 7th to 196 today

Long term goal is back to 186 and at 6' 1" that's a good weight

BMI is of course the key.

Rob

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm
[quote="AJR"]I almost feel like a bad person for smiling at the fact you misspelt lose twice.

quote]
I stand corrected.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:00 am
I used to eat a lot. I'm not going to reveal my weight, but since August, I've lost 32 lbs. Not from not eating, but from not eating as much as I used to, as well as walking around a lot carrying my absurdly heavy laptop.

Go check out my thread if you want the full story on that.

I recommend V8 Fusion and Muscle Milk. They helped me a LOT on my dietary changes. And also start drinking two or three 20 oz bottles of soda per week, and switch to plain water for the rest of your liquids. If you don't like plain water, I recommend getting flavoring packets. I particularly like the Snapple Diet Peach kind, or the Crystal Light in any flavor.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 pm
Director

I went from being 195 or so (likely a little more) at age 21 to being 138 or so today (4 years later), on a roughly 5'10 frame. Just reducing calories, exercising etc.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:21 pm
I went to the Gym today.
Burnt 1530 calories.
did 35 mins oni the treadmill
35 mins on the bike
35 min on thr cross trainer
15 min on the rowing machine
I will weigh myself to night to see where I am weight wise

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:48 pm
P604 and others:

Have a plan for what happens after you've succeeded and have met your weight loss goals. Make sure that what you are doing is sustainable.

-A "secret" that I've learned is to NOT use food as a reward. So many times I hear people say, "I'm going to let myself have a 'treat' once I lose X lbs." If we think of being fat equal to being sick, that would be like saying, "geez, if I get through this round of chemo-therapy, I'm going to have a smoke". Don't return to what made you sick.

Start eating better before you start eating less. Have a 'reward' for when you reach a goal, but make it a non-food item, like a DVD, Blue Ray, (trip?) or other such treat.

I've got a nice article of riding clothing picked out for my -25lb goal..

Best of -oh, I almost said 'luck'- efforts to you all.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:00 pm
I have been trying to get to the gym this week, but I have failed.
I am hoping to get to it today.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 am
Burnt 1504 calories in the gym.
Weighed myself tonight.
I am now between 141/2 and 14 1/4 stone.
14 stone is coming around the corner.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:27 pm
Last April I went to Sri Lanka on business for 10 days and was sick for a week. I lost 7 kilos (about 15 pounds) and have managed to keep it off and have held steady at around 85 kilos (just under 190lbs) since then without any significant change in habits. 6'0, 187 seem like good numbers.

Not exactly the recommended course of action, but glad it worked for me!

Last edited by MunichMan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 am
firefly wrote:
I went from being 195 or so (likely a little more) at age 21 to being 138 or so today (4 years later), on a roughly 5'10 frame. Just reducing calories, exercising etc.

Firefly, 5'10 and 138 seems awfully skinny to me, especially coming from your starting weight. Don't overdo it!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:47 am
firefly wrote:

Holy crap - that is seriously low BMI
Rob

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 am