Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:39 am

Serial 
Second Unit Director

Post Serial
Anybody else listening to this podcast? It has weekly installments investigating a true-crime story where the wrong man may have been found guilty. It's number one on iTunes and is getting compared by some publications to prestige television. I find it extremely interesting, and recommend that you all check it out during your commute or whenever else you have some downtime. You can listen to or download episodes here. http://serialpodcast.org/

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Post Re: Serial
Steven wrote:
Anybody else listening to this podcast? It has weekly installments investigating a true-crime story where the wrong man may have been found guilty. It's number one on iTunes and is getting compared by some publications to prestige television. I find it extremely interesting, and recommend that you all check it out during your commute or whenever else you have some downtime. You can listen to or download episodes here. http://serialpodcast.org/

And I would compare those "some publications" to a mentally challenged milk cow. The serial style podcast isn't something new... it's as damned old as radio. Radio has done this for, what?, about 100 years? The popular "We're Alive!" podcast dared go the way of prestige television some years ago by doing a serial-style story about a zombie problem. Has lasted 143 episodes, too.

Anyhow. I've been listening to this and have found it pretty good although I'll admit some of my interest has tarnished thanks to every other podcast out there promoting it. Also: that fourth or fifth installment was like really boring prestige television what with the long, uninformative interview with the lawyer who basically attempts to exonerate Adnan for the entire episode. Looks like it was the seventh episode, after checking the list.

Understand, Steven, it isn't you who I'm poking fun at. It's the comparison of radio to prestige television. It's embarrassing to read something like that and even more embarrassing that this is 2014's benchmark of "quality". Those "some publications" should get recycled.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
I've been listening to this and have found it pretty good although I'll admit some of my interest has tarnished thanks to every other podcast out there promoting it. Also: that fourth or fifth installment was like really boring prestige television what with the long, uninformative interview with the lawyer who basically attempts to exonerate Adnan for the entire episode. Looks like it was the seventh episode, after checking the list.

That 7th episode was the worst. THE WORST. It was the kind of purely filler episode that made me wonder if they have a complete story here and aren't just stringing us along while they make it up as they go. I might have given up on the whole thing, but, I mean, I don't really have anything else good to listen to during my morning and afternoon commutes. And it is good, even if I hated that episode and despite how the exploration of just how unreliable first-hand accounts can be (especially 15 years later!) feels a bit more gimmicky and less convincing each week. I just finished up the most recent episode this morning, and the podcast has definitely mastered the weekly hook many TV shows leave you with to force you to turn in the following week. Speaking of which, do either of you, or anyone else reading, now how many episodes the season is supposed to have?

It also doesn't hurt that I live about 45 minutes from Baltimore and have friends within walking distance of the park where the body was discovered. They should probably move.

Also: Hey Mark!

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:58 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Speaking of which, do either of you, or anyone else reading, now how many episodes the season is supposed to have?

From what I understand, there's supposed to be approximately a dozen episodes, but there isn't a number set in stone.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Mark III wrote:
I've been listening to this and have found it pretty good although I'll admit some of my interest has tarnished thanks to every other podcast out there promoting it. Also: that fourth or fifth installment was like really boring prestige television what with the long, uninformative interview with the lawyer who basically attempts to exonerate Adnan for the entire episode. Looks like it was the seventh episode, after checking the list.

That 7th episode was the worst. THE WORST. It was the kind of purely filler episode that made me wonder if they have a complete story here and aren't just stringing us along while they make it up as they go. I might have given up on the whole thing, but, I mean, I don't really have anything else good to listen to during my morning and afternoon commutes. And it is good, even if I hated that episode and despite how the exploration of just how unreliable first-hand accounts can be (especially 15 years later!) feels a bit more gimmicky and less convincing each week. I just finished up the most recent episode this morning, and the podcast has definitely mastered the weekly hook many TV shows leave you with to force you to turn in the following week. Speaking of which, do either of you, or anyone else reading, now how many episodes the season is supposed to have?

It also doesn't hurt that I live about 45 minutes from Baltimore and have friends within walking distance of the park where the body was discovered. They should probably move.

Also: Hey Mark!

Well well well. We all swim upstream to get back home, don't we?

I've read a couple of interviews with Sarah Koenig and she's of the line "it'll end when it ends". Given that the Maryland Court of Appeals will be making a decision in January, it's safe to assume that Steven is in the right ballpark with his "12 episodes and that's it" understanding. Fourteen maybe? Fifteen? They'll eventually have to enter a dark room and attempt to contact the spirit of Christina Gutierrez if they want to keep it going past 20.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:40 pm
Cinematographer

It appears you're both correct. I just finished the last episode, "Rumors", which surprisingly isn't just 45 minutes interviewing Stevie Nicks about her cocaine habits from the 70s, and at the end Koenig mentions next week is the last episode. So, 12 episodes. And there will be a season 2. Not sure how I feel about that.

As for this episode, it felt a lot like the joke Mark made about contacting the dead lawyer's spirit. I mean, almost the entire episode is just Koenig going through various rumors pertaining to Adnan she's heard while making the show, as if that's a valid journalistic tactic. They're rumors! And NOTHING comes of any of it. It's complete filler and, considering it's the second to last episode and nothing of value outside of a letter from Adnan that gives some insight into his psyche, it's an awful way to set up the finale.

The whole thing is really running out of steam. So bring on season 2!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 pm
Cinematographer

Either of you gents listen to the finale yet?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:41 am
Assistant Director

Negative on the finale. Since it's clear that there will be no resolution (of a sort) until the January appeal, I'm sure there'll be a revisit in a month or so. Episode 13 may be short but it'll be a more than another recapitulation of information and themes that every listener knows like the back of their hand. Or so one may hope. Even if not I ask the question that the guys on "How To Do Everything" ask every week: and what did we learn? We learned that the truth is sticky and mutable in equal measure, that the personal may outweigh the fair. It's almost a little bit like that one movie. You know the one? The one with Faye Dunaway and Peter Finch and Duvall and William Holden? The one about the UBS television network? What was that one called? Voyage of the Damned, I think it was called.

So Serial ends (and I'm basing this on an educated guess) as a good but redundant and possibly drowned in hype podcast. It was, for a time, the middlebrow thing to do with one's Thursday commute. I'm still interested in a second season and look forward to the producers learning from their mistakes.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:07 am
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
So Serial ends (and I'm basing this on an educated guess) as a good but redundant and possibly drowned in hype podcast.

Your educated guess is spot on, as far as I'm concerned. There was no resolution to the finale, although Koenig at least didn't completely cop out and gave her opinion on the case:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
She thinks Adnan is innocent, which shouldn't really surprise anyone, as that's been fairly clear throughout.

One thing about the finale really, really bugged me, though:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
They introduce the possibility of a serial rapist committing the murder. The man was accidentally released around that time in Baltimore, and that's literally all the evidence they have that he could have committed the crime. A serial rapist was in the Baltimore area at the time this young Asian girl was murdered. He was caught and is now dead, so he can't answer any questions, either. It's a HUGE stretch that borders on irresponsible journalism, and feels like a cheap tactic used to manipulate the audience into leaving the show thinking Adnan was innocent. Which he very well may be, but we don't need to make up some fucking Zodiac killer to convince people.

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:20 pm