Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 am

Wife turns down $974 million divorce settlement... 
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Wife turns down $974 million divorce settlement...
Harold Hamm's wife has just turned down a divorce settlement worth $974 MILLION fucking dollars...She just wants more.

Jesus Christ. I would get gang banged by a gaggle of silverback gorillas for the halftime show at the Super Bowl for that much money. I would douse myself in blood and swim to seal island in South Africa and back for that much money. I would get paper cuts all over my body, and try to survive naked in the Amazon for a month for that much money....get what I'm saying?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/07/angry-divorcee-refuses-74m-check-from-billionaire-oil-tycoon/

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm
Director

Post Re: Wife turns down $974 million divorce settlement...
CruJones wrote:
I would get gang banged by a gaggle of silverback gorillas for the halftime show at the Super Bowl for that much money.

Ah, but here's the real question. How much of that money would you have to spend on therapy to heal the physical and emotional wounds of an experience like that?

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:24 pm

KWRoss wrote:
CruJones wrote:
I would get gang banged by a gaggle of silverback gorillas for the halftime show at the Super Bowl for that much money.

Ah, but here's the real question. How much of that money would you have to spend on therapy to heal the physical and emotional wounds of an experience like that?

I don't know...But I would have the money to fly the therapists out to my private yacht, moored at my private island, on my private Gulf Stream jet. So I could make it work.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 pm
Director

Greed has been humanity's Achilles Heel since the dawn of time.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:25 pm

H.I. McDonough wrote:
Greed has been humanity's Achilles Heel since the dawn of time.

"Greed, for a lack of a better word, is good."

;)

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 pm
Director

CruJones wrote:
"Greed, for a lack of a better word, is good..."

... at slowing human progress. :P

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:23 pm
Second Unit Director

I would rather be poor my entire life than have that much money. History tells us quite clearly that it's not a source of happiness or stability in life. No thanks.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:10 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
I would rather be poor my entire life than have that much money. History tells us quite clearly that it's not a source of happiness or stability in life. No thanks.

For some people maybe, but it's not a fact that that's the case for everybody, personally i'd jump at the chance for that kind of money, there's no way in hell i'd ever turn it down(unless it was for something illegal of course).

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:37 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

For some people maybe, but it's not a fact that that's the case for everybody, personally i'd jump at the chance for that kind of money, there's no way in hell i'd ever turn it down(unless it was for something illegal of course).

If money is your source of happiness, you'll never really be happy. If the things that money can provide, like giving and taking care of those around you and those you love can make you happy, you can make it work. But in particularly in the idiocy of Western culture, it's still mo' money mo' problems.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:07 pm
Auteur

Shade2 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

If money is your source of happiness, you'll never really be happy. If the things that money can provide, like giving and taking care of those around you and those you love can make you happy, you can make it work. But in particularly in the idiocy of Western culture, it's still mo' money mo' problems.

You can be happy and have money without money being the only source of happiness, not every human being is corrupted by having a lot of money.

It is only western culture which has people obsessed with money, it's also a big problem in places like India(which has an even bigger gap between the rich and the poor then the U.S. does).

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 am

Shade2 wrote:

Every heard of a guy named Dan Bilzerian? He looks like the happiest guy in the world.

http://instagram.com/danbilzerian

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 pm
Second Unit Director

CruJones wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

Every heard of a guy named Dan Bilzerian? He looks like the happiest guy in the world.

Are you joking? A guy that pays for friends/"hot" women to hang around with him? Hasn't accomplished a single worthwhile thing in his life? He abuses women (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 89252.html) and is so pathetic that he has to pay people to let them be in a movie (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ers-616876). What exactly is so appealing about him? He's wasting his life away on pointless and unsatisfying things. I feel bad for him more than I envy him. He's a child.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Shade2 wrote:
CruJones wrote:
Shade2 wrote:

Are you joking? A guy that pays for friends/"hot" women to hang around with him? Hasn't accomplished a single worthwhile thing in his life? He abuses women (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 89252.html) and is so pathetic that he has to pay people to let them be in a movie (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ers-616876). What exactly is so appealing about him? He's wasting his life away on pointless and unsatisfying things. I feel bad for him more than I envy him. He's a child.

Or he's just doing what he wants to do because he can....because he has A LOT of money, and can literally tell almost anyone to fuck off. Money means you don't have to succumb to anyone or anything. It means you aren't dependent and can do whatever you want to do when you want to do it...the rest of the world be damned.

Can you say fuck you to your job, you aren't working anymore, then buy a private gulfstream and take your family to the Maldives for the next two months? Or can you give millions to cancer research tomorrow morning because you feel it is the right thing to do? Or can you go buy your wife a new Ferrari? Can you purchase tickets for you and a significant other to attend the oscars this year? If you like to play golf can you fly yourself and your friends out to Pebble Beach next week just for a guy's getaway?

Money lets you do all of those things. Materialism aside, if you like traveling around the world and actually changing people's lives, money would let you quit your job and do that too.

In my head I don't see a single bad thing that can come from acquiring a lot of money.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:15 pm
Second Unit Director

CruJones wrote:
Or he's just doing what he wants to do because he can

You're certainly right, but what he wants to do is abuse women and waste his money. I don't respect him or his choices in the slightest.

CruJones wrote:
Money means you don't have to succumb to anyone or anything. It means you aren't dependent and can do whatever you want to do when you want to do it...the rest of the world be damned.

And you can live and die lonely and alone. Way to go. Is that what you're after? Is your goal really to tell people to fuck off? Why?

CruJones wrote:
Can you say fuck you to your job, you aren't working anymore, then buy a private gulfstream and take your family to the Maldives for the next two months? Or can you give millions to cancer research tomorrow morning because you feel it is the right thing to do? Or can you go buy your wife a new Ferrari? Can you purchase tickets for you and a significant other to attend the oscars this year? If you like to play golf can you fly yourself and your friends out to Pebble Beach next week just for a guy's getaway?

Sure, if spent with people who you care about and who care about you, all those things are great. I'd take most of them. But my life isn't in any way lacking, and my happiness isn't in any way lessened, by the absence of those things. If you can't be happy with your current financial state no financial state will actually make you truly happy.

CruJones wrote:
In my head I don't see a single bad thing that can come from acquiring a lot of money.

Really? Nothing can come from getting a lot of money? I feel like you're actively trolling now. Roastbeef, is it?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Quote:
Really? Nothing can come from getting a lot of money? I feel like you're actively trolling now. Roastbeef, is it?

What?

My original thread was I cant believe how someone could turn down almost $1 billion.

You come on here saying how you would rather be poor than have that much money.

I'm trying to understand why? If anyone is trolling, you are. You would have to be crazy to turn down that much money.

And I said in my mind nothing BAD can come from it. What bad could come...actual bad, not little problems like people constantly asking you for money?

My point is, money equals freedom. The more you have, the more free you are to do what ever it is you like to do, plain and simple.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 pm
Second Unit Director

CruJones wrote:
My original thread was I cant believe how someone could turn down almost $1 billion.

You come on here saying how you would rather be poor than have that much money.

Umm, yes? Isn't that the point of a discussion thread? Did you post it for everyone to agree?

CruJones wrote:
I'm trying to understand why? If anyone is trolling, you are. You would have to be crazy to turn down that much money.

Oh, I guess you did. Sorry I don't. I've made my reasoning clear. You don't have to agree.

CruJones wrote:
And I said in my mind nothing BAD can come from it. What bad could come...actual bad, not little problems like people constantly asking you for money?

Money -- particularly coming into a lot of money -- has torn families apart, led to people murdering family members to secure it, being a bigger target of criminals, etc etc... I'm not saying those things are inevitable or need to influence your opinion, but to say NOTHING bad can come from it is just objectively inaccurate.

CruJones wrote:
My point is, money equals freedom. The more you have, the more free you are to do what ever it is you like to do, plain and simple.

Not necessarily. A lack of money hasn't limited me in my choices to do what I want to do. Sure, if Dan Bilzerian is your model of the perfect life, you need money. But I don't buy that that's making him happy or makes anyone happy. At some point you have to look in the mirror and decide if you've spent your time in any worthwhile way.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Shade2 wrote:
Not necessarily. A lack of money hasn't limited me in my choices to do what I want to do. Sure, if Dan Bilzerian is your model of the perfect life, you need money. But I don't buy that that's making him happy or makes anyone happy. At some point you have to look in the mirror and decide if you've spent your time in any worthwhile way.

Dan Bilzerian isn't my model but I do envy his freedom. He likes to party and be around hot women all of the time. If that's his choice then so be it. He has the money to make it happen so who am I to judge? Tomorrow if he invited me on one of his yachts with 50 models...would I go? Bet your ass.

You say money hasn't limited you in your choices...so what do you love to do? You don't need money to do it?

You know that philosophical question one gets asked when growing up? What do you love to do...and whatever you say, that is what you are supposed to do in life? Also, that famous saying "If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."

If I could tomorrow, I would dedicate the next several years to the following: I would learn how to fly a plane, and get certified in all areas. I would obtain my captains vessel license and become a very proficient sailor. I would become a scratch golfer, and play the world's best courses. I would travel the world and experience different cultures.

How am I supposed to do that stuff without money?

In the movie the Bucket List...how could they have possibly accomplished any of that, without having one of them with almost an unlimited check book? Not to base the real world on a movie, but If I made my on bucket list...I would need a lot of money to scratch everything off of the list.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:28 pm
Cinematographer

CruJones wrote:
Harold Hamm's wife has just turned down a divorce settlement worth $974 MILLION fucking dollars...She just wants more.

Jesus Christ. I would get gang banged by a gaggle of silverback gorillas for the halftime show at the Super Bowl for that much money. I would douse myself in blood and swim to seal island in South Africa and back for that much money. I would get paper cuts all over my body, and try to survive naked in the Amazon for a month for that much money....get what I'm saying?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/07/angry-divorcee-refuses-74m-check-from-billionaire-oil-tycoon/

I wonder how much cheaper it would be for Hamm to have his wife disappear? I bet it would be a lot less than close to a billion dollars- just saying...

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm
Gaffer

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the thought of refusing $974 million is pretty insane and I could see why she's being called a greedy bitch and worse. Then again, maybe she truly feels she's entitled to more through the law (which I'm clueless about and not gonna comment on). Does that necessarily make her a greedy bitch? I'm not so sure. If I won the Powerball lottery and was supposed to get a lump sum of $150 million and the check says $50 million, I'd be upset and ask the government what the hell happened. $50 million would be an amount of money far beyond what I could realistically hope to make in my life. Does that make me a horrible person? Eh, I'd like to think it wouldn't. I don't know. What about a free agent athlete who turns down a $160 million contract for a $200 million one? Or a company founder who turns down a $5 billion buyout offer because he feels there's a very good chance he can get an offer of $10 billion from someone else?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:25 pm

prahsk87 wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the thought of refusing $974 million is pretty insane and I could see why she's being called a greedy bitch and worse. Then again, maybe she truly feels she's entitled to more through the law (which I'm clueless about and not gonna comment on). Does that necessarily make her a greedy bitch? I'm not so sure. If I won the Powerball lottery and was supposed to get a lump sum of $150 million and the check says $50 million, I'd be upset and ask the government what the hell happened. $50 million would be an amount of money far beyond what I could realistically hope to make in my life. Does that make me a horrible person? Eh, I'd like to think it wouldn't. I don't know. What about a free agent athlete who turns down a $160 million contract for a $200 million one? Or a company founder who turns down a $5 billion buyout offer because he feels there's a very good chance he can get an offer of $10 billion from someone else?

No, I perfectly understand. It's just crazy to think about turning down $1 billion in settlement money.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:55 pm