Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
This might be the single most interesting postseason I've ever seen in any sport, by the way. It certainly has the best collection of stories, moral confusion, and intriguing subplots I've seen on TV since The Wire went off the air. And yes, I consider 'Pete's possible mental collapse at the prospect of Nick Young being the high scorer for more Clippers games than anyone else on their team in the playoffs' (just like, yes, last night) one of the Top 10. And if they win out while that happens (not that I'm saying it will, but who knows!) - I'm honestly afraid of what happens next. We're 1/10th of the way to seeing a real-life Deer Hunter with Pete playing Nick (already close with the name) and Shade playing Michael, after Nick Young (see the connection? getting closer!) wins the Finals with one shot ("One shot, Nick" - closer!) and Shade screaming "Petey, NOOOOOO!" through a horrible faux-DeNiro anteater beard. Oh, and Pete's favorite team (and Nick Young's former team) only used to be named THE BULLETS (aaand we have arrived!). Admit it, Pete, somewhere deep down inside, I just made you scared for your life and sanity.

Haha, this just made my day. Well done, Phil. Seriously though, I live on the 5th floor of an apartment building, and I just might jump off my balcony if Nick Young turns into the second coming of Jason Terry (or the third coming of Joe Dumars) this postseason. I don't want to live in a world where that happens.

Instead of quoting you gents, I'm just going to go series by series and comment on what you've said and what I think:

Spurs-Jazz: The Jazz have the 2 big guys to exploit San Antonio's weaknesses, but they don't have the perimeter guys to slow down Parker and Ginobili. I actually think Parker deserves Second Team All-NBA this year (behind CP3, of course). He's been brilliant all season and I think that will continue all postseason, as it did in Game 1. I think the top 4 seeds in the West all have a decent shot of making the Finals, so I don't have an issue with someone touting the Spurs as a favorite. OKC (more on them in a second) faltered towards the end of the year and haven't exactly played inspiring ball to start the postseason.

Thunder-Mavs: I think Barkley said it best last night after the game. He said something to the effect of, "Dallas can make games competitive with the Thunder, but they can't beat them." Dirk's still doing the heavy lifting, and Terry is still Terry, but after those 2 there's a really sharp decline. Their crunch time lineup last night was Dirk, Marion, Carter, Terry, and Kidd. There's just no way that team is winning a playoff series. Dirk is still Dirk, however.

As for OKC, I agree with both Phil and Shade. The jury is still completely out on Westbrook as a clutch postseason scorer, and their roster is very flawed. These things can be overcome if they get hot, but they aren't right now. Their end of game offense consists of Westbrook or Durant taking a jumper. That's just not good. They essentially do the same shit Wade and Lebron do at the end of games, and we (rightfully) kill them for it all the time. James Harden seems to be the only one interested in taking the ball to the basket at the end of games. It's ridiculous how they play at the end of games, and it's made all the more ridiculous when you think about how easy it should be for a team with those 3 on the court at the same time to get a good shot. They can't win a ring playing like this.

Also, how terrible would it be to see an OKC-Miami Finals with Westbrook, Durant, Lebron, and Wade taking turns shooting long, contested jumpers for the last 4 minutes of every game? I mean, it would be a rating bonanza, but the quality of play would be awful.

Lakers-Nuggets: The Lakers are a very scary team right now. I said it a while ago, but it's worth repeating: Kobe knows how to play postseason basketball. Sure, he scored 31 the other night, but most of that was late in the game when the Lakers had already established a large lead. For most of that game, they played through Bynum and Gasol. They're incredibly tough to beat when they do that, and Kobe knows it. He wants to score tons of points in the regular season and win rings in June. He's got as good of a shot as anyone in the West right now as long as he keeps playing through his bigs (which I guarantee he will).

The Nuggets kind of suck. I just don't care about them at all.

Grizz-Clips: I would have said Memphis in 5 before the series began, but I'll change it to 6 now since the Clips stole Game 1. I just can't see the Clippers doing that 3 more times. I still think Memphis is a lot better than they are. Any team that has to rely on the heroics of Reggie Evans and Nick Young is doomed from the outset. Obviously, Memphis must win Game 2 tonight. We'll see what kind of mental toughness this teams has, and it's always nice to learn things about teams in the postseason. I think they'll win fairly convincingly, but obviously if they can't win a must-win game at home against an inferior team, they aren't anywhere near as good as we thought.

And I just decided I'm not doing the East. I mean, why? With all the injuries, the Heat are being gift wrapped a trip to the Finals. Boston, please come back and beat Atlanta. You're our only Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 am
Scottie Pippen's open letter to the Bulls-- http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/scottie-p ... bulls.html

This will be posted in the locker room.

Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 am
MunichMan wrote:
Scottie Pippen's open letter to the Bulls-- http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/scottie-p ... bulls.html

This will be posted in the locker room.

I think they forgot to include his postscript, where he said "However, if you feel Thibs draws up a play for someone else when he should have drawn one up for you, take yourself out of the damn game no matter the situation."

Kidding, mostly, and the letter is cool and I do think this Chicago squad will dig deep and win at least a round.

Tue May 01, 2012 11:03 am
The best thing I've heard about the whole Amare fiasco, from an unknown person on Twitter, relayed to me by a friend: "Amare Stoudemire finally decides to attack the glass".

Hilarious.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:12 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
The best thing I've heard about the whole Amare fiasco, from an unknown person on Twitter, relayed to me by a friend: "Amare Stoudemire finally decides to attack the glass".

Hilarious.

Now that's funny.

Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Hilarious.

......Bahahahahahahahaha. Oh dear Lord. It's a testament to Stoudemire that Melo hasn't been raked over the coals more for the last season and a hal as harshly, mostly since people agree uniformly that Melo is better at what he does in his sleep than Amare is at anything while conscious at this point in their careers.

P.S. - CELTICS! Again, proof that Pierce is still an amazing floor manager and elite scorer (for his age - sorry, Paul!).

Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
P.S. - CELTICS! Again, proof that Pierce is still an amazing floor manager and elite scorer (for his age - sorry, Paul!).

Pierce was fantastic last night, and the injury to Josh Smith certainly didn't help the Hawks, but we should also be commending Doc for leaving his starters in against the Hawks' bench in the third quarter. That's when the C's came back and made it a game. It was a huge gamble, but the right call since it was a game they absolutely had to have.

To me, this series is over. I just can't see the Hawks beating the C's in Boston without Horford or Smith and with Rondo, and possibly Allen, returning. Atlanta might be able to win Game 5 at home, but I think this one goes 6 games, max. My gut tells me 5 because I don't trust the Hawks to not completely roll over in Game 5 if they're down 3-1.

As for the other games, the Bulls are obviously in trouble. A letdown after losing Rose should be expected. I still think they'll beat Philly, but I don't think they can go any further.

The Lakers? They still look good, but call me when they're in the next round. We can't really gauge just how good they are against a slightly better than average Denver team.

Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am
Serious question...who is beating the Spurs?

Seriously, who?

This point has been made by others, and Petey and I discussed it last night, but the Spurs just aren't going to blink against anyone. You aren't rattling them. They're not scared of anyone and they shouldn't be. Is this the best team of the Duncan era? Some believe so. I think it's close, but I still feel that I'd rather have a Duncan in his prime with less of a supporting cast than this squad. That said, they're very very good...and if they'd stayed healthy last year, they could have made a very Mavs-esque run to the title. They'r obviously ignored by most people, but they're really not boring anymore, and Parker is at the height of his powers.

So if they get to the Finals, who makes the best opponent?

I say Boston. Yes, I'm a Boston guy. But the storylines would be amazing: KG vs Duncan one last time, Manu vs Pierce, Rondo vs Parker, and excellent role players young and old on both sides, and two of the best coaches in the game, ever (not putting Doc on Pop's level at this point, but in terms of managing star-laden teams, Doc is top-notch). At least 6 Hall of Famers (with Ray-Ray and Parker being the only two not guaranteed first-ballot, although they could make it). As Petey said last night, it's a true basketball fan's dream, if a bit of a ratings nightmare.

Certainly, I believe the Spurs have a much better chance -- and are indeed the favorites -- to come out of their conference. The C's have a long road, and it's disconcerting that they didn't close last night (I love how the Spurs took care of business in 4). But if Indy (even in a sweep) can wear down Miami at all, I like the C's chances. Whether they should believe this is up for debate, but they sincerely believe that if Rondo doesn't go down, they beat the Heat last year.

As for other teams...Memphis/Clips has been a great and entertaining series, but not well-played by people not named Chris Paul. Whoever wins is going down to the Spurs and I honestly don't think SA's having much trouble. OKC impressed me by closing out the Mavs, and Harden impresses me more and more each game. They are dangerous, certainly. They should beat the Lake Show, if it gets there (of the remaining 1st-round matchups, Memphis has to be considered the most likely to come back and win), but they are not incapable of losing to the Lake Show either. Yes they have size, but have you seen Blake Griffin try to make a post move recently? It's just...weird. You want to turn away because it's so awkward. And he still doesn't play D. Bynum is a tool, no doubt, but is he capable of destroying the Clippers front line 4 out of 7 games? You betcha.

Chicago is capable of winning the 1st round still, yeah. But overall, I'm just rooting for Boston-San Antonio at this point. And so should you.

Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 pm
Director

Shade wrote:

Seriously, who?

This point has been made by others, and Petey and I discussed it last night, but the Spurs just aren't going to blink against anyone. You aren't rattling them. They're not scared of anyone and they shouldn't be. Is this the best team of the Duncan era? Some believe so. I think it's close, but I still feel that I'd rather have a Duncan in his prime with less of a supporting cast than this squad. That said, they're very very good...and if they'd stayed healthy last year, they could have made a very Mavs-esque run to the title. They'r obviously ignored by most people, but they're really not boring anymore, and Parker is at the height of his powers.

So if they get to the Finals, who makes the best opponent?

I say Boston. Yes, I'm a Boston guy. But the storylines would be amazing: KG vs Duncan one last time, Manu vs Pierce, Rondo vs Parker, and excellent role players young and old on both sides, and two of the best coaches in the game, ever (not putting Doc on Pop's level at this point, but in terms of managing star-laden teams, Doc is top-notch). At least 6 Hall of Famers (with Ray-Ray and Parker being the only two not guaranteed first-ballot, although they could make it). As Petey said last night, it's a true basketball fan's dream, if a bit of a ratings nightmare.

Certainly, I believe the Spurs have a much better chance -- and are indeed the favorites -- to come out of their conference. The C's have a long road, and it's disconcerting that they didn't close last night (I love how the Spurs took care of business in 4). But if Indy (even in a sweep) can wear down Miami at all, I like the C's chances. Whether they should believe this is up for debate, but they sincerely believe that if Rondo doesn't go down, they beat the Heat last year.

As for other teams...Memphis/Clips has been a great and entertaining series, but not well-played by people not named Chris Paul. Whoever wins is going down to the Spurs and I honestly don't think SA's having much trouble. OKC impressed me by closing out the Mavs, and Harden impresses me more and more each game. They are dangerous, certainly. They should beat the Lake Show, if it gets there (of the remaining 1st-round matchups, Memphis has to be considered the most likely to come back and win), but they are not incapable of losing to the Lake Show either. Yes they have size, but have you seen Blake Griffin try to make a post move recently? It's just...weird. You want to turn away because it's so awkward. And he still doesn't play D. Bynum is a tool, no doubt, but is he capable of destroying the Clippers front line 4 out of 7 games? You betcha.

Chicago is capable of winning the 1st round still, yeah. But overall, I'm just rooting for Boston-San Antonio at this point. And so should you.

*Comes out of bushes*

^^^^what he said!!!!!

*goes back into bushes*

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
*Comes out of bushes*

^^^^what he said!!!!!

*goes back into bushes*

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Wed May 09, 2012 1:42 pm
Director

My serious thoughts:

My Spurs (I say that because I own the team) look really, really good. I don't even mind them almost blowing a 21 point lead in Game 4. Pop has a reason to keep them on their toes for the next opponent.

I'd much rather play L.A. than Memphis. Everyone knows the Spurs biggest weakness is size, and Memphis is the over-the-back, hacking champs of the league that get branded as "physical", aka another word for "they foul a lot, but somehow get away with it".

To me it's simple. If the Clips get to the second round, their season is a success. Essentially, beating an up-and-coming Memphis team is their championship.

By the way, as much crap as I have gotten being a Spurs fan with Manu being a flopper, why are people NOW starting to come around to the fact that Chris Paul flops terribly? He was doing this back in 2008, folks. Griffin isn't far behind him.

The Thunder remain the most over-rated team in the league. Tell me, who is going to score in the post for them, ever? Serge Ibaka has a nice mid-range shot but he has no junk in his game down low that you need to have. You need at least one guy that can get you a bucket in the paint, back to the basket style. The Thunder have no players that can do that. They also have the best "look like a fish" point guard duo in Russell Westbrook and Derek Fisher. I just can't take them seriously. Jason Bateman's lookalike is their coach. They're going to blue themselves at some point.

Too bad for the Bulls about all the injuries. Living close to Philly, still nobody cares about the Sixers. Nobody. It's sad, really, since I consider the Sixers to be my second favorite team next to SA, yet I would still consider myself more loyal to them then about 80 percent of people who say the Sixers are their #1 squad. They could easily go to the Conference Finals at this point (they play Boston well) and then Philly would probably hop back on board. Yugh.

I did have it SA-Chicago Finals before the Rose injury. Now I have it SA-Miami. I would rather not play Miami, I would much rather play Boston. We shall see...

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
The Thunder remain the most over-rated team in the league. Tell me, who is going to score in the post for them, ever? Serge Ibaka has a nice mid-range shot but he has no junk in his game down low that you need to have. You need at least one guy that can get you a bucket in the paint, back to the basket style. The Thunder have no players that can do that. They also have the best "look like a fish" point guard duo in Russell Westbrook and Derek Fisher. I just can't take them seriously. Jason Bateman's lookalike is their coach. They're going to blue themselves at some point.

To be fair, the Mavs didn't have a post presence either. I am mostly with you, but that close-out game against the Mavs at least opens the door to the possibility that they can close. I do think they are as flawed as Miami late in close games and they get even worse shots (Brooks is indeed a terrible coach). Harden is the difference maker...he simply looked like their best player in the 4th quarter of that last Mavs game. Regardless, I'm with you that they're deeply flawed and overrated.

Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm
Shade wrote:

Seriously, who?

I agree. I know I went on about their offense and depth not being able to carry them in the playoffs, but their defense seems to be catching up. They're really dangerous right now and easily look like the best team in the playoffs so far. I'm hoping we get them and OKC in the Western Finals at this point because it will be an excellent series.

Speaking of that series, I know the Spurs have Jacko and Leonard, but if Durant doesn't average 30+ a game in the series, he's not the guy we thought we was. He'll be their biggest advantage in that series, and he'll have to carry them. That's exciting.

Shade wrote:

The individual matchups with Boston, and the historical significance that would accompany that series give it my vote. That said, if the Lebrons made it, it would be entertaining. Say what you want about him and his team (and we certainly do), they're a polarizing bunch. They make for some pretty riveting TV. Still, I'd rather see Boston.

Good point about what Boston believes versus what probably would have happened anyway. It made me think - isn't part of the value of experience and know-how the stubborness and refusal to believe that you can't do it anymore that inevitably comes with it? It becomes a problem when you see a 40 year old Jordan suiting up for a bad Wizards team, but it can mean a whole lot for a team like Boston (or San Antonio, although they're still closer to their prime and have some legitimately good young talent) this time of year. Boston's going to go into a series against the Heat knowing they're the better team regardless of if they are or not. Watch how the Pacers play the Heat in this next series, and then watch how Boston does. I think we'll see a pretty drastic difference. That doesn't mean Boston will beat them, of course.

Shade wrote:

Memphis is relying on Gay entirely too much. He gets shots and isos like he's a superstar, but he's only a borderline All-Star. Their strength is playing team ball, both offensively and defensively. Giving the ball to Rudy on the wing, and having their offense come to a sreeching halt, is a terrible way to play. Kobe can do that, Wade and Lebron can do that, Durant can do that, Dirk can do that, CP3 can do that...Rudy fucking Gay can't. Aside from the comebacks by the Clips, their hot shooting, and Memphis' inability to block out on free throws, that's the biggest thing in this series. Memphis is just too Gay.

The Lakers-Thunder series is going to be great for all kinds of reasons. I'm really looking forward to that. I was even before The Elbow Heard Round the World.

Wed May 09, 2012 2:05 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
My serious thoughts:

My Spurs (I say that because I own the team) look really, really good. I don't even mind them almost blowing a 21 point lead in Game 4. Pop has a reason to keep them on their toes for the next opponent.

I'd much rather play L.A. than Memphis. Everyone knows the Spurs biggest weakness is size, and Memphis is the over-the-back, hacking champs of the league that get branded as "physical", aka another word for "they foul a lot, but somehow get away with it".

To me it's simple. If the Clips get to the second round, their season is a success. Essentially, beating an up-and-coming Memphis team is their championship.

By the way, as much crap as I have gotten being a Spurs fan with Manu being a flopper, why are people NOW starting to come around to the fact that Chris Paul flops terribly? He was doing this back in 2008, folks. Griffin isn't far behind him.

Too bad for the Bulls about all the injuries. Living close to Philly, still nobody cares about the Sixers. Nobody. It's sad, really, since I consider the Sixers to be my second favorite team next to SA, yet I would still consider myself more loyal to them then about 80 percent of people who say the Sixers are their #1 squad. They could easily go to the Conference Finals at this point (they play Boston well) and then Philly would probably hop back on board. Yugh.

I did have it SA-Chicago Finals before the Rose injury. Now I have it SA-Miami. I would rather not play Miami, I would much rather play Boston. We shall see...

Dan made a real post! Oh boy I'm excited! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I like what you say about the Clips. This series is their season. They should fire Del Negro either way. Who plays their entire second unit all at once in the playoffs!?!? He's just so...bad.

The Parker-CP3 matchup in the second round series will be fantastic to watch. The rest of that series might not be. If Paul can make the Clips run, run, and run some more they might make it competitive. That said, San Antonio is deep enough to withstand that. That's a 5 game series to me.

At this juncture, the Lakers are the only team I can see beating the Spurs, and that's only if Bynum and Gasol rip them apart. Still, I think San Antonio would beat them in a series.

Wed May 09, 2012 2:25 pm
If LeBron James explodes, I love the Celtic's chances to win.

Otherwise, what we saw last night (an Atlanta team so fearless of Rondo's shooting ability that they literally played a simple cover on him and made him run out his own team's clock for the last possession) is probably not enough to beat the Heat. That being said, Atlanta has a few things that Miami does not, like good centers, power forwards, and closers (Joe Johnson can close if he needs to - seriously, guys!), so let's see. I can't conceptualize the C's not wrapping things up in Boston tomorrow night. It's inconceivable.

Wed May 09, 2012 4:43 pm
Shade wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

To be fair, the Mavs didn't have a post presence either.

Shade! You're killing me here. Dirk spent all his time facing the basket back in 06, but by last year he had a very refined post game. He may not have been Shaq, but I do think I'm being impartial when I say that Dirk turned into one of the 10 best post players in the league. Of course, he did still spend a lot of time facing the basket but it's false to say that the Mavs had as little a post presence as the Thunder. Dirk could play there whenever he wanted. OKC doesn't have that option at all.

I wouldn't mind if the Thunder win it all though. Harden has been amazing. I know why they keep bringing him off the bench, but he could be their #2 guy if he started or got 5 more minutes per game.

Dan rightly calls the Griz physical, but the Clips haven't been softies. In fact, Hollins has spent most of the time complaining about the Clippers' physicality particularly Reggie Evans who does seem to get away with some dirty plays. Playoff basketball, I suppose.

I hate Andrew Bynum on the court. That guy is a thug. But...do you guys know that he spends his free time reading Tolstoy? I'm not kidding. I can't hate that guy. I'll just keep hating court-Bynum.

Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Shade! You're killing me here.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

ed_metal_head wrote:
Dirk spent all his time facing the basket back in 06, but by last year he had a very refined post game. He may not have been Shaq, but I do think I'm being impartial when I say that Dirk turned into one of the 10 best post players in the league. Of course, he did still spend a lot of time facing the basket but it's false to say that the Mavs had as little a post presence as the Thunder. Dirk could play there whenever he wanted. OKC doesn't have that option at all.

You're right, I overspoke. Still, I don't think Dirk played back-to-the-basket and then made a move toward the basket very often. I think you could say they had as little post presence as any champ in the last decade at least. I guess I just mean post play in that they get the ball in the post and it gets scored from there. I agree that Dirk is as good as anyone playing in the post, but I would not say he has a lot of post moves that don't involve fading away from the basket.

Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm
Nobody is beating the Heat. Quote me.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:06 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
Nobody is beating the Heat. Quote me.

There. You've been quoted. Thanks for the insightful post.

On to last night's games:

You can't really say enough about how great KG was last night. He was all over the court and looked 10 years younger than he is. I think he's too old to play like that every night, but if he can give them that kind of game 2-3 times against Miami, they have a real shot. I think they'll beat Philly easily, despite losing the regular season series to them. For one, neither Hawes nor Brand can guard KG and he can guard either guy. Hawes is a jump shooting big man, and KG is good enough defensively to guard the pick and pop. Pierce and Iggy should be a good matchup to watch. Iggy was also great last night in closing out the Bulls. Rondo will have his way with Philly's PGs, and I think that'll be the difference in the series. I say Boston in 5, maybe 6.

Do you think the Bulls missed Rose and Noah last night!?!? Geez, what an end game debacle. CJ Watson's a good backup, but you just have to know game situations when the season is on the line. You can't pass to a 44% free throw shooter with under 10 seconds left when the Sixers have to foul. Especially when you shoot over 80%! I don't care if he had an open layup or if that would be the right play at any other time in the game. It was a mental error that likely cost Chicago their season. That and the decision by their guards (of which Watson was one) to crash the boards on Asik's second missed free throw which led to Iggy one on one with Asik. Again, a ridiculous mental error. It isn't Asik's fault he fouled, it was their guards who put him in that position in the first place. There's just something almost fitting about the 2 guys that replaced Rose and Noah blowing that game for the Bulls.

Bynum and Gasol are punks. Step up when Kobe has the flu! They'll go home and likely win game 7, but this series should be over. However, if those 2 don't play well and the game doesn't go through them, they will lose. Denver's only shot this series was for the Lakers' big men to either not be involved or not play well. Last night both happened and they got run out of the building. Denver will give Kobe 30-40 if the other guys are struggling to hit double digits.

Memphis-Clippers tonight in LA. Paul and Blake are game-time decisions. I think we all expect both guys to play, but how effective will they be? If Paul isn't himself, the Clippers have virtually no shot against anyone. If he can play well, they can close it out tonight. Who do you guys got?

Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 am
PeachyPete wrote:
You can't really say enough about how great KG was last night. He was all over the court and looked 10 years younger than he is. I think he's too old to play like that every night, but if he can give them that kind of game 2-3 times against Miami, they have a real shot. I think they'll beat Philly easily, despite losing the regular season series to them. For one, neither Hawes nor Brand can guard KG and he can guard either guy. Hawes is a jump shooting big man, and KG is good enough defensively to guard the pick and pop. Pierce and Iggy should be a good matchup to watch. Iggy was also great last night in closing out the Bulls. Rondo will have his way with Philly's PGs, and I think that'll be the difference in the series. I say Boston in 5, maybe 6.

I'd genuinely and seriously wager that I'm as big a KG fan as anyone in the world... and I don't know if I've ever seen him play better than last night. Obviously he's had better statistical games (the famous game 7 against the Kings; the 2-blocks short of a quadruple double when he didn't play in the 4th against the Sonics)... but I'm not sure he influenced the game more in those games than he did last night. Impressive stuff. Can he keep it up? On D, certainly. And looking at the next opponent, he should be a huge offensive asset again. And if it's then the MoHeatos in the ECF... I mean, Chris Bosh isn't slowing him down. I mean, let's be frank: If KG plays like he did in all aspects last night for the rest of the playoffs, the Celtics can without question beat anyone in a series. The question of course is if his body will hold up. As a fan, I sure hope so.

And then there's this: will he walk away after this season? If they win, I think he certainly does. If not, he becomes a free agent. He loves Boston and they love him, but Walter Ray is almost certainly leaving, and who knows after that. Would he follow Ray Ray to OKC? Go home to Chicago? Or (my goodness) joins up with Miami? Okay, I can't think about that anymore.

PeachyPete wrote:
Bynum and Gasol are punks. Step up when Kobe has the flu! They'll go home and likely win game 7, but this series should be over. However, if those 2 don't play well and the game doesn't go through them, they will lose. Denver's only shot this series was for the Lakers' big men to either not be involved or not play well. Last night both happened and they got run out of the building. Denver will give Kobe 30-40 if the other guys are struggling to hit double digits.

Pathetic. Gasol and Bynum were pathetic. Disgraceful. Disgusting. Gasol made zero effort, and Bynum not much more. And it must not be forgotten...they are a full head taller than everyone on the Nuggets. And much as we hate on Dwight Howard, at least he tries all the time. Can't say that about these chumps. What a joke. People are making jokes now that the Lakers lost on purpose so they can have Metta for the whole OKC series, but it's crap. It's one game and anything can happen. Lakers will probably win because they're at home and Kobe will impose his will on a game, but man oh man does this take away from the notion that the Lakers can totally compete.

PeachyPete wrote:
If Paul isn't himself, the Clippers have virtually no shot against anyone. If he can play well, they can close it out tonight. Who do you guys got?

The bolded part, no question. Clips go as Paul goes. If he plays and is 75%? I still think they lose. Memphis is very good, if very flawed, and I think they push the series the whole way.

Fri May 11, 2012 3:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next