Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Dan, I'm really sorry to do this to you, but I used the word wary, not worry. :lol: I tend to keep a watch-out for my grammar, as I think it's not really all that taxing. I don't see why some people think it is.

Well, what can I say, Dan, I tried to post something unrelated to you and I about the playoffs and let the pan off the burner, and you end up coming back to me being a 'Celtics fan' who is 'in denial'. The 'five year old' comment was in poor taste, but it was a cause-and-effect scenario. Now I think I'm better than everyone in this thread (!). I actually think you've gone the other side of the coin and taken this argument 'personally', which is unfortunate. I hope this isn't true, but it looks that way.

Regardless, it is becoming more like two-person spam. If you want to continue this discussion via PM, fine, but I think this is becoming completely off-topic. For everyone (including me), this thread should be made more civil, or at least, more related to NBA stats, and less to concepts and accused hipocrisies, like it (believe it or not) used to be. Again, if you want to say that I'm copping out, this is your prerogative. I'm still willing to argue my points, but in another venue, as I think this isn't a sports thread anymore.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Dan, I'm really sorry to do this to you, but I used the word wary, not worry. :lol: I tend to keep a watch-out for my grammar, as I think it's not really all that taxing. I don't see why some people think it is.

Well, what can I say, Dan, I tried to post something unrelated to you and I about the playoffs and let the pan off the burner, and you end up coming back to me being a 'Celtics fan' who is 'in denial'. The 'five year old' comment was in poor taste, but it was a cause-and-effect scenario. Now I think I'm better than everyone in this thread (!). I actually think you've gone the other side of the coin and taken this argument 'personally', which is unfortunate. I hope this isn't true, but it looks that way.

Regardless, it is becoming more like two-person spam. If you want to continue this discussion via PM, fine, but I think this is becoming completely off-topic. For everyone (including me), this thread should be made more civil, or at least, more related to NBA stats, and less to concepts and accused hipocrisies, like it (believe it or not) used to be. Again, if you want to say that I'm copping out, this is your prerogative. I'm still willing to argue my points, but in another venue, as I think this isn't a sports thread anymore.

Sorry to do what to me? You still spelled it wrong, "worry" or "wary", you said "wory", but hey, whatever. I'm not taking this personally at all, I'm posting arguments, some of which you reply too, others of which you completely ignore (while on purpose or by accident, who knows). If you want to back out, so be it. We're arguing but at the same time, sports is still the issue, so I don't really see what the problem is. My point is that I'm biased because I'm a Spurs fan, you on the other hand claim to be objective, but your posts clearly indicate that you are a Celtics fan (for now). You haven't posted anything concrete to deny it either, but hey, whatever.

By the way, it's spelled "hypocrisies". :).

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Hope the PM cleared things up, Dan :)

I don't know why, but even when I knew L.A. was likely going to cruise, this spanking is getting nasty. Okur (probably) couldn't make up the difference, either, so this is bad.

One quick question for all concerned: Does Kobe have a chance in hell of actually winning MVP at this point, or did we bury this already? It seems like everyone stopped asking, and with the furor over it less than a month ago, that is odd.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Hope the PM cleared things up, Dan :)

I don't know why, but even when I knew L.A. was likely going to cruise, this spanking is getting nasty. Okur (probably) couldn't make up the difference, either, so this is bad.

One quick question for all concerned: Does Kobe have a chance in hell of actually winning MVP at this point, or did we bury this already? It seems like everyone stopped asking, and with the furor over it less than a month ago, that is odd.

Okur being out definitely hurt. He's one of the best shooting big men from outside the 3 and he'd force Bynum to respect his range, too bad he's not fully healthy.

It doesn't help that the referees were once again pathetic, Derek Fisher flopping around and getting fouls on Paul Millsap and invisible "contact" being called on the Jazz. There was one play when Carlos Boozer packed the life out of Andrew Bynum's shot but they called it a foul. They showed a stat that LA had 9 blocks to Utah's 0, that's because whenever Utah got a "block" it was automatically a foul. I hate referees, especially in L.A., where its rumored that after the games they take photos with the popular celebrities in the tunnel. That's professional.

Kobe doesn't have a chance at MVP at this point. If I'm not mistaken, his numbers are the lowest in the last five years. That just serves as a testament to how good that Laker team is. I think Bron has it down, he deserves it IMO.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Watching the Denver-New Orleans game, is there a more tool of a player than Kenyon Martin? Screams after every easy dunk he makes courtesy of a great Billups pass, then when he destroys CP3 on a drive, he slaps Marks hand away when he's trying to split up a potential ugly situation. Being a Spurs fan, I'll never forget his quote earlier in the season when Duncan struggled against him, and he said, and I paraphrase "I didn't let Tim do what he wanted. I never let Tim do what he wants." Umm, Pretty sure he had a near quadruple-double on you in Game 6 of the Finals in 2003 K-Mart, a game in which you shot 4-23, just saying. I've never liked this guy, he's been entirely exposed since going to Denver as a beneficiary of the system when he was with New Jersey, as well as the point guard at that time (Jason Kidd). You're starting to see it now with Shawn Marion, now that he's out of Phoenix and he's no longer by the side of Steve Nash, he's pretty much garbage. I just get tired of Martin's tough-guy act, he's really proven nothing in this league other than that he's a sub-par former #1 pick who thinks he's a lot better than he really is.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Man, I leave for a few days and I miss....THAT. Seriously, what the hell? I feel that I must attempt to bring a sense of normalcy to this thread. First of all, stop correcting each other's grammar and spelling. This isn't English class, and as long as you get the gist of what someone is trying to say, I say that's good enough. I enjoy the debating, but that stuff is awful. Second, it's obvious to me that you two just approach the way you view the game differently. Dan is intensely loyal to the Spurs, while Evenflow seems to enjoy watching quality basketball played by anyone. That isn't to say Evenflow can't like certain teams or that Dan doesn't like quality basketball, I'm just pointing out why you guys continue to butt heads.

Anyway, on to the playoffs and all the Game 1s. Philly absolutely SHOCKED Orlando, but I don't think it will prove to matter much. I say the Magic realize they have to close games out and win this series in 6 games. Cleveland is going to sweep the Pistons. That one is over. The Celtics are in serious trouble, but I think they manage to get past the Bulls. They won't make it out of Round 2 against the Magic without KG though. I honestly have no idea what to think of the Hawks-Heat series. I'll pick the Hawks just because they looked so dominant the other night, but who knows?

In the West, New Orleans really let me down last night. If Chauncey continues shooting like that, they are going to sweep the Hornets. Carmelo didnt even show up, that won't continue to happen. I like the Nuggets in 5 (I can't believe I just typed that). I think the Mavs are going to take Dan's Spurs down in 6. The Spurs look too beaten down. They have no one to stop Josh Howard on the wing. Without Manu, and with Bowen being too old, they just can't stop him. Dirk and Duncan will duel, and Parker will get the better of Kidd, but Howard is going to be too much for them to handle. Lakers in 5, that's all that needs to be said about that one. I think Portland is too young to beat Houston. Houston isn't great, and shouldn't be going to the second round, but they got a favorable matchup. The Blazers are a year or 2 away from being a contender. Also, it will be too perfect if Houston makes it out of the first round the year McGrady gets "injured". More proof that he's the worst "superstar" in NBA history.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 pm
Well, I have to admit, K-Mart was effective playing with the NJ trifecta. In that context, he was amazing, even if it was still obvious that a.) he was one-dimensional, and b.) Jason Kidd was the necessary part of the equation. Jason Kidd is one of the best team players/catalysts I can recall. Man could score ten points and you wouldn't be able to judge him on it, because he ended up contributing anywhere up to 30-40 points on assists/steals/rebounds. K-Mart has never been a true superstar, and his 'shtint' in Denver is proof of that. No comment on RJ, by the way.

New Orleans, truth be told, has one of my favorite players in Chris Paul, but that is not a good way to break into the playoffs. This either means a.) it was a useless game 1, b.) the Nuggets are serious, or c.) the Hornets are limping at the wrong time. As for the Heat-Hawks game, wow. What an embarassmnt. The Heat are now officially obligated to hand over their Finals trophy. I haven't seen a beatdown that bad since Cleveland made the Mavericks a 70-point team.

As for the Celtics and KG.... I think Bill Simmons put this best: "The Celtics controlled the information about Garnett's situation as masterfully as anything I've ever seen. For two solid months, they had everyone (fans, media members, experts paid to objectively cover this stuff) convinced that the man was coming back. " I found this out a week ago, but this line says it all. Yes, Cleveland is the team to beat in the East (I still don't expect Orlando to have a clear path like the Cavs do, even assuming they play perfect), and yes I will change my mind if KG does end up coming back later, which is being postulated (and if they win every series in 7, they just might). I'll be realistic, though, this doesn't look like it's going to happen, and more or less, the situation is circumstantial. I still expect them in all likeliness to meet Cleveland, although that is looking like their ceiling right now, unless that series moves to 7 games... right?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
In the West, New Orleans really let me down last night. If Chauncey continues shooting like that, they are going to sweep the Hornets. Carmelo didnt even show up, that won't continue to happen. I like the Nuggets in 5 (I can't believe I just typed that). I think the Mavs are going to take Dan's Spurs down in 6. The Spurs look too beaten down. They have no one to stop Josh Howard on the wing. Without Manu, and with Bowen being too old, they just can't stop him. Dirk and Duncan will duel, and Parker will get the better of Kidd, but Howard is going to be too much for them to handle. Lakers in 5, that's all that needs to be said about that one. I think Portland is too young to beat Houston. Houston isn't great, and shouldn't be going to the second round, but they got a favorable matchup. The Blazers are a year or 2 away from being a contender. Also, it will be too perfect if Houston makes it out of the first round the year McGrady gets "injured". More proof that he's the worst "superstar" in NBA history.

Man, I wanted to disagree with you, for argument's sake, but that is it right there. Worst 'superstar' in NBA history. What's his peak, all-time team of 2003, or something (although I'll be shocked if Vince Carter didn't give you at least a momentary pause)? As for the Blazers, well, they got spanked the first game, no lies, but I want to see Brandon Roy continue to flower. If he starts his engines a-pumping for the entire series, well, Houston, we have a problem. That being said, I disagree with you only in that they are 2 years away from getting to the second round, maybe. I just don't trust Portland. Not going to start right now. Nothing scientific, I just don't.

L.A. migth sweep. I don't actually visualize Utah winning against anyone. It's difficult. Without Okur, it's actually a challenge to even consider it. The Spurs are still competitive, but this series will probably be the coda, at the very least to this season. I'm going to throw this out there, though; if Dallas can make this kind of comeback, anything is possible. I repeat, a n y t h i n g is possible. They have officially damaged by doubting capabilities.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Watching the Denver-New Orleans game, is there a more tool of a player than Kenyon Martin? Screams after every easy dunk he makes courtesy of a great Billups pass, then when he destroys CP3 on a drive, he slaps Marks hand away when he's trying to split up a potential ugly situation.

Maybe my least favorite player in the league.

Also the unfortunate recipient of the worst nickname to come out of the whole first letter of first name/first syllable of last name bonanza.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:49 pm
Director

Trevor wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Watching the Denver-New Orleans game, is there a more tool of a player than Kenyon Martin? Screams after every easy dunk he makes courtesy of a great Billups pass, then when he destroys CP3 on a drive, he slaps Marks hand away when he's trying to split up a potential ugly situation.

Maybe my least favorite player in the league.

Also the unfortunate recipient of the worst nickname to come out of the whole first letter of first name/first syllable of last name bonanza.

He deserves it, I really don't like him. Speaking of the Nuggets, Chris Andersen is one of my favorite players to watch in the NBA. He's loads of fun.

Loved the Spurs beatdown tonight over the Mavericks. Tony Parker had 33 points in 3 quarters, finished with 38 for the game. With all due respect to TD, this is Tony's team now. He is unstoppable, the Mavs can't stop him in the paint, and when the attempt to, there's an open Bonner or Mason on the wing. Gotta take Game 3 now, the Mavs are going to be pissed just like the Spurs were after Game 1. Shutting down Josh Howard is the key to winning this series for the Spurs, if they do that, I think they'll come out winners.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Man, I wanted to disagree with you, for argument's sake, but that is it right there. Worst 'superstar' in NBA history. What's his peak, all-time team of 2003, or something (although I'll be shocked if Vince Carter didn't give you at least a momentary pause)? As for the Blazers, well, they got spanked the first game, no lies, but I want to see Brandon Roy continue to flower. If he starts his engines a-pumping for the entire series, well, Houston, we have a problem. That being said, I disagree with you only in that they are 2 years away from getting to the second round, maybe. I just don't trust Portland. Not going to start right now. Nothing scientific, I just don't.

Yeah, it must be genetic considering they are cousins. They must have a "lazy, quit on my team" gene. I'd also like to see Portland win that series, but like you, for whatever reason I just don't trust them. I do love Roy's game. That kid can play. Now, if they had drafted Durant over Oden? Yeah, they'd be ready for a serious run right now. Can't blame the logic, it just looks like that's going to end up being a HUGE mistake.

Trevor wrote:

Haha, now that's funny. I dislike his on court demeanor as well.

DunkinDan89 wrote:
Loved the Spurs beatdown tonight over the Mavericks. Tony Parker had 33 points in 3 quarters, finished with 38 for the game. With all due respect to TD, this is Tony's team now. He is unstoppable, the Mavs can't stop him in the paint, and when the attempt to, there's an open Bonner or Mason on the wing. Gotta take Game 3 now, the Mavs are going to be pissed just like the Spurs were after Game 1. Shutting down Josh Howard is the key to winning this series for the Spurs, if they do that, I think they'll come out winners.

Toilet Paper looked great last night. I turned the game off and went to bed after the third quarter, but he dominated. You're right, it is his team. Timmy is still a monster, but TP is the guy they go to for big buckets now. If they do manage to win the series, he's going to be the reason why. He's showing Kidd why he should start thinking about joining the AARP. You nailed it with the Mason and Bonner comments. With those 2 stretching the Mavs' D, TP can go by Kidd whenever he wants and decide what he wants to do. Like we have both said, Josh Howard is the key to the series. They did a great job on him last night. Game 3 should be fantastic. All that being said, it's typical playoff basketball for the road team to lie down like the Mavs did last night in a Game 2 on the road after they already won on the road in Game 1, so beware. This brings me to my next point....The Bulls. Wow. They lost, but I'm impressed. I was thinking they just played above their heads in Game 1, but now I'm thinking they have a legit shot at winning this series. That was a great game last night. I can't say enough about the way guys like Rondo, Allen, Gorden, Rose, and Noah are playing. If the first 2 games are any indication, we're in for an amazing series. I still think the Celtics pull it out, but I'm not longer considering it a foregone conclusion.

Tonight's games aren't all that intriguing, aside from the Houston-Portland matchup. I'm in the process of moving and don't currently have NBA TV so I can't watch it. So, I'll be skipping the games tonight and assuming the #1 seeds win. I'll probably go see Crank 2 or State of Play.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am
Director

It's also extremely satisfying to see Mark Cuban take out his anger on an innocent Gatorade cooler. I can't decide which is funnier, that, or the Dirk takedown of the exercise bike after the Mavs Game 5 (choke-job) loss to the Heat.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
'As for the Blazers, well, they got spanked the first game, no lies, but I want to see Brandon Roy continue to flower. If he starts his engines a-pumping for the entire series, well, Houston, we have a problem.'

Ok, that's just scary. I'm totally with you, Pete, on Durant. If the Blazers had him with Roy, they would probably be my pick right now (Portland worries aside) to at least challenge L.A. for Western dominance.

I know that the number one seeds almost always win those first-rounders, but I'm still disappointed here. Detroit is trying, bless them, but them succeeding won't even be good enough to guarantee winning a game. This is looking ugly. The Jazz haven't lost game 2 yet, but they are on their way. I almost bought that pre-game 'Let's keep Kobe down' talk, everybody from NBA to ESPN was pushing that. I don't see any difference. Maybe that Mavs-Warrior series spoiled me, but I always have that 'Well, crazier things have happened' outlook when #1 meets #8 because of it.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 am
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
'As for the Blazers, well, they got spanked the first game, no lies, but I want to see Brandon Roy continue to flower. If he starts his engines a-pumping for the entire series, well, Houston, we have a problem.'

Ok, that's just scary. I'm totally with you, Pete, on Durant. If the Blazers had him with Roy, they would probably be my pick right now (Portland worries aside) to at least challenge L.A. for Western dominance.

I know that the number one seeds almost always win those first-rounders, but I'm still disappointed here. Detroit is trying, bless them, but them succeeding won't even be good enough to guarantee winning a game. This is looking ugly. The Jazz haven't lost game 2 yet, but they are on their way. I almost bought that pre-game 'Let's keep Kobe down' talk, everybody from NBA to ESPN was pushing that. I don't see any difference. Maybe that Mavs-Warrior series spoiled me, but I always have that 'Well, crazier things have happened' outlook when #1 meets #8 because of it.

I'm with you on the Jazz-Lakers matchup. It's too bad the Jazz don't have Okur, I'd really, REALLY love that matchup if they were fully healthy. Too bad Jarron Collins is a completely useless replacement. I actually got kind of ticked off when Kobe was talking after game one about the Jazz, saying "they'll be fine they have a good coach, etc.", acting like they're a rebuilding team or something. This series isn't over, although L.A. has been dominant, but quit talking like they're the Wizards or something. He followed those comments by taking a shot at Smush Parker. Oh Kobe, I want to like you, seemingly everyone in the media wants to have your babies, but why must you consistently take shots at your former/current teammates?

Remember the Andrew Bynum slam a few years ago when he said they should've traded him for Jason Kidd!? Now he acts like he was right behind him all along! What a tremendous hypocrite. He's right behind K-Mart as my least favorite player in the league. Tell me when he starts acting like an adult for a change.

Mavs-Spurs Game 3 is on NBATV?! I don't get NBATV :(.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 am
Profile WWW
To an extent I feel your pain, Dan. I wish I hadn't missed Roy's 42 point explosion last night, but there is nothing I could do. However, I can't imagine being a fan and having to miss my team's playoff game because I didn't have the channel. The NBA really needs to do something about that. They definitely can't put a Spurs-Mavs game on NBA TV. That's insane. Of course, they are up against the Celtics early, and the Lakers late, so I understand the NBA wanting to get the marquee teams on TV. I just think they should put the other games on actual cable channels, not their channel that you have to subscribe to. I remember a while ago TBS would have NBA playoff games, why did that stop? TNT and TBS are owned by the same company, why didn't this continue to happen?

I didn't see one second of the NBA playoffs last night, by choice. Watching #1 seeds in the first round is almost pointless. We've been spolied the past few years (Mavs-Warriors, Celtics-Hawks) with some good 1-8 matchups, but usually they all suck. This year, normalcy has returned and the Lakers and Cavs are handling their business. I went and saw Crank 2 last night, although I probably would have enjoyed the 1-8 games more.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:09 am
Well, I'll never be truly able to dislike Kobe, because, as the Joker says to Batman '...you're just too much fun'. He is not almost-wholly useless like K-Mart. He makes thing FAR more intersting then, at times, they have any right to be. That's worth some praise. Of all the players in 2009, though, I don't know who lost more, well, everything, from me than Iverson did. The Nuggets are winning playoff games without him, the Sixers are winning playoff games without him, the Pistons made the playoffs without him, and in fact had their best winning streak of the season RIGHT after he went down. Don't tell me all of that doesn't burn somewhere.

As for the Nuggets, holy s^&*, Batman (see how I tied that together?). I'm getting close to (not at, but close to) saying they are a serious playoff team. Perhaps my Chauncey comments will be vindicated after all. Stay tuned.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 pm
Evenflow's cleverness knows no bounds. Although, Shaq did dub himself as Batman and Kobe as Robin. Which means Kobe used to guzzle Shaq's man juice. Homos. The funniest thing about Kobe is that his middle name is Bean. Yup, Kobe Bean Bryant. I find it hilarious to refer to him as simply, The Bean.

In all seriousness he is a compelling guy to watch on the court. He is definitely an awful teammate, but he's so freaking good that he can will his teams to be successful for long periods. If it's him and Lebron in the finals, as a Wizards fan, I have to pick the lesser of 2 evils and pull for the Lakers. I'd rather be stuffed in a woodchipper Fargo style than root for Lebron James to win an NBA title. I had a hard enough time rooting for the Redeem Team because he was on it (I completely ignored the fact that he was a member during the Olympics).

I vaguely remember someone arguing with Evenflow about Chauncey vs AI. It's not even close. Chauncey is a proven winner, and AI a proven loser. AI may be a better individual player over the course of their careers, but there is no question that Chauncey gives a team a better chance to win. I'd take Chauncey in a heartbeat over AI.

Boston-Chicago will hopefully be epic tonight. At this point, I'm not even rooting for either team, I just want to see how it plays out. Bill Simmons wrote a great article about how he thinks this could go down as one of the greatest first round series ever over on espn. Blatant Boston homerism aside, I think he might be right. We'll see what this year's Celtics are all about tonight. In order to win this game, they'll have to show they have nuts the size of grapefruits.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 pm
Director

Well I'm glad the game wasn't on TV tonight, what a disgrace. Oh well, now we have our one blowout game (always happens to the Mavs seemingly) as well as our Joey Crawford game (why does he keep reffing Spurs games after what happened....I don't get it...oh wait, David Stern is a terrible commissioner, now it makes sense) out of the way. If the Spurs lose Game 4, it's pretty much over, but if they win, the momentum is right back in their favor. We got our blowout game, they got their's, now let's actually hope for a good, contested game for a change.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Not gonna lie, I wasn't totally sold on Chicago-Boston being a classic, although a kernel of doubt existed. Bill Simmons is a fantastic writer, but I don't ever take his predictions to heart (any man who goes 0-4 on an NFL playoff weekend can't be thinking straight). The Bulls fought hard in game 2, and lost, which meant to me they could easily go down, hard, their next game. Just how athletes are. They get de-moralized by everything. THIS is how the C's should be playing. If they maintain that pace, this is over.

I'm not really surprised that the Mavs got an extra kick at home, although I thought game 2 meant San Antonio had things kind of under control. Still, 2-1 isn't frightening. 3-1 and I start at least questioning how deep the Mavs go next round. Not sold on Dallas dying one night and exploding the other, however. Doesn't seem like consistent basketball to me.

By the way, in regard the ongoing Utah Jazz game, yeah, Kobe might want to work on his post-game talks. The Jazz are looking good out there right now. Though, it also means that if the Jazz lose this one, they are hopeless.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:17 am
If I´m allowed to be picky, it always bug me when the commentators (I think it´s Marv Albert) say "The Lakers with 90-86 lead." That´s not the lead, that´s the SCORE! The lead is 4 points!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 121  Next