Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 121  Next
I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But... 
Author Message
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Nah, if you see another thread where we post, me and Dunkin Dan can co-exist. I wouldn't expect any peson to take an e-argument personally.

I'm not sure if I'm that cool with the NBA refs, either, who are the most useless of any sport. I always see them make terrible calls, and if they don't make it in the game, they'll wait two weeks just so they can go and strip a triple double away from a player or something really pointless like that. How is Ed Hochuli being riduculed yet these guys avoid being publically flagellated?

As for Gil, well, I think he's proven to be one of those players, like Vince Carter, who are talented on paper and can put up numbers, but through hell or high water, they always find a way to obscure their abilities. Maybe it's just bad luck. Regardless, although I acknowledge him as a good, he seems like a shaky proposition to me. The T-Mash comparison is harsh, though, I'll admit. Grady should get sued by the Rockets for his garbage attitude towards that organization. What balls you have to have to pull this over on a team paying you that kind of money.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:34 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Nah, if you see another thread where we post, me and Dunkin Dan can co-exist. I wouldn't expect any peson to take an e-argument personally.

I'm not sure if I'm that cool with the NBA refs, either, who are the most useless of any sport. I always see them make terrible calls, and if they don't make it in the game, they'll wait two weeks just so they can go and strip a triple double away from a player or something really pointless like that. How is Ed Hochuli being riduculed yet these guys avoid being publically flagellated?

As for Gil, well, I think he's proven to be one of those players, like Vince Carter, who are talented on paper and can put up numbers, but through hell or high water, they always find a way to obscure their abilities. Maybe it's just bad luck. Regardless, although I acknowledge him as a good, he seems like a shaky proposition to me. The T-Mash comparison is harsh, though, I'll admit. Grady should get sued by the Rockets for his garbage attitude towards that organization. What balls you have to have to pull this over on a team paying you that kind of money.


T-Mac is the same guy who said "Man, it feels good to be getting to the second round" when the Magic were up 3-1 against the Pistons, only to see the Pistons come back and hand it to them. I felt for T-Mac when he couldn't get outta the 1st round in Houston, where he was in tears saying basically "what else I can do". That sucks. But to give up NOW, that's cowardly, especially when you can still play.

In other news, I'll be the one to report that the Spurs lost to the Thunder at home tonight. For a while, I've been excusing some piss-poor losses on their part because for the most part they looked alright. This is unacceptable though, they were at home, fully healthy. It just comes down to Pop and his stubborness, playing Matt Bonner in crucial moments instead of the much more reliable Drew Gooden. And randomly benching George Hill (major WTF), and instead playing the always undepedable Jacque Vaughn. I'm not going to lie, I'm pissed, I'm not concerned when they're losing to decent-good teams, it happens, but losing to pathetic teams (although I will admit, the Thunder have been good as of late, but come on...) at this point of the season, at home no less, shouldn't be happening. Oh well, gotta walk what I preach though, can't get too worked up about one game, as long as they end the regular season on a winning note (still have 9 games left), I'll be able to look on this post and laugh. Does this mean I'm concerned about their overall championship chances? No. Again, they have that extra switch they pull when the playoffs hit.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Denver is #2 right now? That is weird. I never thought they had a prayer, even though, it's still tentative. I stand by my post from earlier - the #2 seed is not an inevitability for the Spurs. They are technically no different than the #4 seed right now. This has to be at least troubling (although I'm not going to say the word 'apocalypse'). Know what the difference is between a #2 seed and #7 seed in the West? A road trip. Sad, but true.

To be fair to the Spurs, the Thunder have actually been nearly .500 since the advent of '09. It's not like they lost to the Grizzlies or Clips. The Thunder are winning 20-25 more games next year (maybe even a little more if they didn't foolishly cancel the Chandler trade). I really like how competitive they are, how freakishly good Kevin Durant is, how underrated Westbrook is, and how close every game they play is, no matter who the opponent is. If they somehow aquired a key player like Al Jefferson in the offseason, tell me how that's not the beginning of something beautiful. Maybe not 'championship' beautiful, but definitely 'worth recording games on TBS' beautiful.


Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 am
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
I'm just going to reply to you guys in one post instead of quoting a hundred separate lines and replying in a hundred posts.

I'm not sure about Mason's exact average while Gil was out last year, but I was telling everyone I knew all last season that this guy can play and he's turned himself into a quality player through nothing but hard work. He can shoot the lights out and is a great compliment to the team the Spurs have. He's a solid, hard working defender too. He definitely earned himself a nice contract, unfortunately the Wiz were unwilling to pay him. I guess the logic was we had Gil coming back and still had Daniels (since traded) to be the backup. I don't think they wanted to pay Roger what he got to be a backup, when they already had over $100 million invested in a PG. I didn't agree, but I could at least understand the logic. I still root for the guy and wish him the best. He was one of my favorite Wizards and I'll always root for him.

I had no clue Maggette said that after signing with the Warriors. That's one of the most insulting statements a basketball player can make. Makes me hate him even more.

As for Gil? Those are perfectly acceptable criticisms, I just personally hope they prove to be false. Next year will be a huge one in determining what the Wizards get from him in the future. I don't really know what's worse, becoming a VC clone and putting up hollow numbers, or turning into Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. Hopefully Gil ends up being neither.

The Kings-Lakers game is something I remember vividly. I hate the Lakers and was a HUGE Kings fan (mostly out of spite) that summer. I was livid at the way that game was called. I still will never understand how Bibby didn't continue playing like that. He came up ridiculously huge for the Kings that year. He should have turned into a superstar then, and didn't for some reason.

The Thunder are on the verge of something special. If they can convince KD, who is from the great state of Maryland, to stick around, they'll win a title within 5 years. I'm convinced. Green is the perfect compliment to KD, and Westbrook looks like he's going to be really good. They also have 5 first round picks in the next 2 drafts, one of which will be lottery (this year). If the Wiz don't land Blake Griffin, hopefully the Thunder do. They have the room to trade for stars or draft quality guys. They have the opportunity to build a dynasty. Durant is one of the best pure basketball players I've ever seen (at 20 years old!). He's never going to put up 30, 8, and 8 like Lebron, but I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped 35, 8, and 4 a night in a few years. He's amazing to watch. Evenflow nailed it for next year though. They are a must see for how entertaining they'll be.


Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:25 am
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
I just wanted to point out that my Wizards beat Cleveland last night to even the season series at 2-2. Record be damned, that was a great win. Gilbert shot terribly again (3-11) but he had 10 more assists and 6 rebounds. He has 20 assists and 1 turnover since coming back. Once his shots start falling, he'll be back to his old self (for better or worse). Hopefully he keeps distributing the ball, even when he can score at will. Anyway, splitting the season series with Cleveland is going to be the highlight of this season, which is something I'll take in this dreadful year.


Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:22 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Wow, I went from feeling confident in the midst of losses that the Spurs still had a fighting chance against the Lakers, now after seeing this team play the last week, I'm very discouraged. This is the time of the year that you're starting to play your best basketball headed into the playoffs. In my fourteen years as a Spurs fan, this is not the usual second half of the season charge I'm used to, it looks more like an old man on his way to dying. This saddens me too, it's been a great era for this team, four championships, great players, great coach, overall great luck. Now it looks like they'll be lucky to (I hate you Evenflow) get out of the first round at this point. I'm frankly stunned, a loss to the Cavs is acceptable, but by 20 points when your at full-strength (although there are rumors circulating that TD has bum knees, reason why he missed quite a few games the second half of the season), I don't find that acceptable. Oh well, as said, it's been a great era, and it sucks having to look at the fact that this team is done, they surely look like a beaten old man right now. I knew we should've traded for Vince Carter, stupid economy....

Couldn't blame me at the time though, usually the Spurs go into the playoffs looking mighty strong. Now they look very fragile and not able to hit a thing (why Pop is continuing to play a one-dimensional player like Micheal Finley instead of starting Bruce Bowen or developing Malik Hairston, I'll never know. Roger Mason has also gone sour cold this second half of the season).I was confident when at full-strength they would be able to make a charge and look strong going into the playoffs, for once in the last decade or so, that doesn't look to be the case.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Now it looks like they'll be lucky to (I hate you Evenflow) get out of the first round at this point.



Looking at it, flatly, every team in the West other than The Lakers will be lucky to get out of the first round in less than 7 games. I'm still surprised by how dominant the Nuggets are being right now. This is attention-grabbing basketball. I thought they were at best sixth seed fodder, and now it looks like they have the two-seed wrapped up.


Regardless, another story has emerged - in my opinion, a crazy one - is Dallas' possible upset of L.A. in the first round. What do you guys think?


Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:37 am
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
I just wanted to point out that my Wizards beat Cleveland last night to even the season series at 2-2. Record be damned, that was a great win. Gilbert shot terribly again (3-11) but he had 10 more assists and 6 rebounds. He has 20 assists and 1 turnover since coming back. Once his shots start falling, he'll be back to his old self (for better or worse). Hopefully he keeps distributing the ball, even when he can score at will. Anyway, splitting the season series with Cleveland is going to be the highlight of this season, which is something I'll take in this dreadful year.

That was embarrassing.

Apparently the first time a team that bad has beaten a team that good (record-wise).


Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:38 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Now it looks like they'll be lucky to (I hate you Evenflow) get out of the first round at this point.



Regardless, another story has emerged - in my opinion, a crazy one - is Dallas' possible upset of L.A. in the first round. What do you guys think?


Typically I would be excited for this matchup, but because the Mavs have always been a team full of idiots, they basically ruined their chances two weeks ago or so when Ryan Hollins (who?) and J.J. Barea said the Lakers were scared to play them and Kobe was selfish. You don't say that before the playoffs, hell, the regular season is over. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from a Mark Cuban run team.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Now it looks like they'll be lucky to (I hate you Evenflow) get out of the first round at this point.



Regardless, another story has emerged - in my opinion, a crazy one - is Dallas' possible upset of L.A. in the first round. What do you guys think?


Typically I would be excited for this matchup, but because the Mavs have always been a team full of idiots, they basically ruined their chances two weeks ago or so when Ryan Hollins (who?) and J.J. Barea said the Lakers were scared to play them and Kobe was selfish. You don't say that before the playoffs, hell, the regular season is over. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Then again, I'd expect nothing less from a Mark Cuban run team.


The Mavs do matchup well with LA. Dirk is a lot better than Gasol or Odom, and will pretty much do whatever he wants against either of them. If Howard and Terry are both playing well, the Mavs are tough to beat. That said, I think they've played 3 times this year, with the Lakers winning all 3. I don't see this upset happening, especially not after the Mavs scrubs lit a fire under Kobe and the boys (seriously, how dumb can you be?). The Mavs ruined themselves with the Kidd trade. Giving up 2 first rounders and one of the best young PGs in the NBA for a then 35 year old on his last legs was one of the dumbest trades in recent memory. It was a knee-jerk reaction to the Lakers getting Gasol and has completely backfired. They basically went all-in for last year and this year and it hasn't worked. By the time they're ready to contend again, Dirk, Terry, and Howard will all be past their primes. The Mavs had a nice run, but it's just about over.

I know DunkinDan is in utter dispair today after the news of Manu being out for the season. Tough break for a team that looks terrible right now. His body seems to be breaking down from his reckless style of play. He's great, but I don't know if you can count on him for the playoffs anymore at this point in his career. Maybe Parker and Duncan can carry them to a first round victory, but without Manu, I don't see much more than that now.


Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:


I know DunkinDan is in utter dispair today after the news of Manu being out for the season. Tough break for a team that looks terrible right now. His body seems to be breaking down from his reckless style of play. He's great, but I don't know if you can count on him for the playoffs anymore at this point in his career. Maybe Parker and Duncan can carry them to a first round victory, but without Manu, I don't see much more than that now.


You know it. He's my second favorite player (Duncan being the first), I feel for him. I know he wants to be out there on the court, but the way this season has gone, this move makes sense. I will be extremely happy if they even get through the first round, we aren't winning a championship without Manu, plain and simple. As far as what the offseason holds, I really hope we resign Drew Gooden who has been incredible off the bench. Then just wait for 2010 and mad cap room to throw at the Bosh/Wade/James trio. This has been a tough season for the Spurs, despite their record, injuries have been a huge problem for some reason this season.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
1. L.A. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Houston
4. Portland
5. San Antonio
6. New Orleans
7. Dallas/Utah

Playoff seedings right now. A few points.


1. San Antonio... #5. Ok, this is a bit much for me. I didn't think it would get this ugly, really. Nevertheless, they either face Houston or Portland in the first round - both of whom beat them in their last games against. By the way, I'm listening to Staind's 14 Shades Of Grey...

2. Dallas, wow. They really shocked me here. Either the West's top 8 is really that inconsistent... or these guys have snapped out of it and are showing up. It's hard to tell, but they just made the playoffs a hell of alot more interesting.

3. The Lakers are going to the Finals. End.


Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:06 am
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
1. L.A. Lakers
2. Denver
3. Houston
4. Portland
5. San Antonio
6. New Orleans
7. Dallas/Utah

Playoff seedings right now. A few points.


1. San Antonio... #5. Ok, this is a bit much for me. I didn't think it would get this ugly, really. Nevertheless, they either face Houston or Portland in the first round - both of whom beat them in their last games against. By the way, I'm listening to Staind's 14 Shades Of Grey...

2. Dallas, wow. They really shocked me here. Either the West's top 8 is really that inconsistent... or these guys have snapped out of it and are showing up. It's hard to tell, but they just made the playoffs a hell of alot more interesting.

3. The Lakers are going to the Finals. End.


It's going to be really interesting to watch these next few games play out. The Lakers obviously have clinched the 1 seed. Denver has a 1 1/2 game lead with only 2 games left, one of which is against Sacramento. They should end with the 2 seed. Houston, Portland, and San Antonio will finish in the 3, 4, and 5 seeds, in some order. The 3 seed is obviously what you want because you get to avoid the Lakers in round 2. The 4-5 matchup is going to go 6-7 games, and the reward will be to get fed to LA. The 6, 7, and 8 seeds are going to be really interesting to watch. The Hornets are a game up on Utah and Dallas, but they have 4 games left. Of those 4 games, 2 are against Dallas, one against Houston, and one against the Spurs. Tough. They could easily drop into the 8 seed. The Jazz are at San Antonio tonight, and finish with the Warriors and Clippers at home and the Lakers on the road. I'm no longer a believer in the Hornets, simply because Chris Paul is all they have. That team is not good without him. If they Mavs or Jazz get the 6 seed, they could make a serious run to the conference finals. Denver has been playing very well, but for some reason I'm just not convinced of them being a legit playoff contender. There is no reason to think the Mavs or Jazz can't beat them (assuming they get the 6 seed and win in the first round).


As for the East....wake me up when the Celtics and Cavs are in the conference finals. Until then, who cares?


Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:20 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
If the Spurs have any sort of a shot of being competitive in the playoffs coming up, it's going to be because Drew Gooden is offsetting Manu's bench production. Drew put up 20 points and 15 boards last night (yes, against the Warriors, but he had another 20 point game earlier and has been solid ever since he became part of the rotation). I think if Mason can hit 2-3 3 balls a game and Udoka and Gooden give good bench production, they will still be a tough team to beat. That's just me though.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Playoff thoughts fellas?

The East is going to go according to schedule and I hate the thought of Cleveland being in the Finals. I'm fairly certain it will happen though. Without KG at 100%, I don't think they can beat the Cavs. He is no where near 100% either.

The West is going to be very fun to watch. I know Dan doesn't want to hear this, but the Mavs are playing very well right now and have a real shot at upsetting his injured Spurs team. I think every series in the West is going to be exciting, especially after the first round. The first round series will be good, but the second round and conference finals are going to be great. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds. Also, the Wiz need the ping pong balls to bounce in their favor so we can land Blake.


Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:12 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
PeachyPete wrote:
Playoff thoughts fellas?

The East is going to go according to schedule and I hate the thought of Cleveland being in the Finals. I'm fairly certain it will happen though. Without KG at 100%, I don't think they can beat the Cavs. He is no where near 100% either.

The West is going to be very fun to watch. I know Dan doesn't want to hear this, but the Mavs are playing very well right now and have a real shot at upsetting his injured Spurs team. I think every series in the West is going to be exciting, especially after the first round. The first round series will be good, but the second round and conference finals are going to be great. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds. Also, the Wiz need the ping pong balls to bounce in their favor so we can land Blake.


The Celtics aren't looking good without KG.

Being the optimist I am about the Spurs, I think they will beat Dallas in 7 games. They've already proven they can beat Dallas with Ginobili (and Duncan for that matter, they beat the Mavs without those two guys). Drew Gooden is doing a good job offsetting what Manu usually gives off the bench from a statistical standpoint. I actually think the Spurs can get as far as the Western Conference Finals, but when they run into the Lakers, that's another story.

I think the big upset out West could be NO over Denver. Now that they're healthy again, they're looking dangerous, David West has an insanely accurate mid-range J. The East is pretty weak this year. In round one I have:

Cleveland vs. Detroit (Cleveland in 5)
Boston vs. Chicago (Boston in 6)
Orlando vs. Philadelphia (Orlando in 5)
Miami vs. Atlanta (Miami in 7)

Los Angeles vs. Utah (LA in 5)
Denver vs. New Orleans (NO in 7)
San Antonio vs. Dallas (SA in 7)
Portland vs. Houston (Portland in 6)

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Without Garnett, Celtics finished #2 in the Eastern conference - in no small part thanks to the Nets beating Orlando. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul, huh?

Dallas has a MUCH better shot of beating San Antonio than I originally would have said less than a week ago. Not only is San Antonio now reliant on consistent play from people who weren't even in their original lineup when the season started, but the Mavs have looked amazing lately. They have legitimately (and silently) amassed 50 wins, and went from being close to being oustered to actually being only a few rungs below San Antonio in terms of record. Their sixth seed ascension is the most interesting story of the past few weeks by far.

Definites:
- LA makes the Finals.
- Orlando makes it no father than (what?) third place overall in the East. Some surprise.
- LeBron wins MVP. It might be close statistically, maybe, but the decision has been made.
- Marc Stein is an L.A. groupie. What a biased shill. Just wanted to fit this in.

Interesting Points:
- The Cavs went from looking unbeatable at home to losing the LAST GAME. Don't say it's unimportant, don't even bother mentioning LeBron didn't play. It was a loss on their home court, and all it takes is one to make the immaculate record look illusory (although it was actually two). This game is going to rear it's head in the playoffs, mark my words.
- Nuggets. Billups. Win. Playoffs? Is the fact that I'm saying 'maybe' a yes?
- Celtics with KG = Finals contenders. I stand by this, through and through.
- If Lakers DO win, will Gasol or Kobe be Finals MVP?


Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Without Garnett, Celtics finished #2 in the Eastern conference - in no small part thanks to the Nets beating Orlando. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul, huh?

Dallas has a MUCH better shot of beating San Antonio than I originally would have said less than a week ago. Not only is San Antonio now reliant on consistent play from people who weren't even in their original lineup when the season started, but the Mavs have looked amazing lately. They have legitimately (and silently) amassed 50 wins, and went from being close to being oustered to actually being only a few rungs below San Antonio in terms of record. Their sixth seed ascension is the most interesting story of the past few weeks by far.



Um, Bonner, Finley, and Mason Jr. have all been in the starting lineup since the beginning of the year. The Spurs have always been reliant on consistent play from TD and Tony, that's how they've won three titles this decade. The Mavs are hot, but the Spurs are also riding in to the playoffs on a high note after last night's thrilling win over New Orleans. Not to mention Ime Udoka has found his three point shot, Drew Gooden has been incredibly consistent, and Tony is still playing his best ball. The Mavs just don't have the defensive prowess to topple the Spurs, that's always been their weakness. I still say it goes seven, I think Gooden is a great extra big body to throw in Dirk's direction, and Jason Kidd can't keep up with Tony Parker for a grueling 7 game series. Even without Manu they still found a way to nab the third seed. I think what they did this past season is pretty remarkable in terms of playing without Tony, Tim, and Manu through stretches of the season (long ones), and still being able to capture the Southwest Division Crown.

About your Marc Stein comments, what the hell are you talking about? He's probably one of the more objective basketball analysts I know. You want to talk about biased, try Jon Barry, whose hatred for some teams and players shines through big time, what a dick. Stein has always been fair and never has appeared to take the side of LA unlike all the other ESPN "experts" who hug the nuts of the big market teams because that's what ESPN wants them to do.

If you're taking the Cavs home loss to the SIXERS seriously, your worse off than I thought. I know your a Boston Celtics fan (kind of?), but are you kidding me? The Cavs played without LeBron, Mo Williams, Joe Smith, and Delonte West AND STILL ALMOST WON THE GAME against the sixth seeded Sixers (that's a mouthful). If anything, that just proves how great of a team they are, that their reserves can almost beat a playoff team out East.

Don't act like your statement about "KG on the Celtics makes them a Finals contender" is a bold one, that's pretty obvious. Sounds more like a desperate attempt to rely on "what ifs" since you know without KG the Celtics championship hopes are diminished. With Manu Ginobili the San Antonio Spurs are championship contenders. It's kind've a "duh" statement. But the Spurs don't have Ginobili, and the Celtics are looking like they won't have KG, both teams still have a chance in my opinion, just not a great one.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
'With Manu Ginobili the San Antonio Spurs are championship contenders.'

No, they're not. Regardless, this isn't the reality. I believe you and I (eerie) nailed this one down with 'they will be lucky to get past the first round'. They were at full strength for some of those regular season losses, too, but I digress.

'Um, Bonner, Finley, and Mason Jr. have all been in the starting lineup since the beginning of the year.'

I was talking about Gooden, and I would assume he would need to consistently perform in order for the Spurs to have a shot. It's like saying if Marbury scores extra for the Celts, they'll forget about KG or it will make up for it. Whatever.

'About your Marc Stein comments, what the hell are you talking about? He's probably one of the more objective basketball analysts I know.'

Over almost the entirety of the second half of the season The Lakers have been on top of his list for all but one week recently, and that's when he was basically forced to act because of the Cavs' late-season dominance. He then proceeded to place the Lakers on top again to end the season, like a fat kid clutching to a melting ice cream sandwich in the summer heat. It takes a world of effort for him to move the Lakers down, and a win or loss here or there for him to put them right back onto their perch. It was alot like how the NFL Power Rankings were with the Titans. He leaned so hard on them that it was almost harrassment.

'Even without Manu they still found a way to nab the third seed.'

This was, once, 'Even with Manu they're number 2.' Next month, wait for; 'Even without Manu, they brought Dallas to seven games.'

It's amazing how you gave up all hope on the team earlier - when they still HAD the two-seed, and on a loss to Cleveland nevertheless - to coming right back with little to no encouragement and jumping back on the Spurs chariot.

'If you're taking the Cavs home loss to the SIXERS seriously, your worse off than I thought. I know your a Boston Celtics fan (kind of?), but are you kidding me? The Cavs played without LeBron, Mo Williams, Joe Smith, and Delonte West AND STILL ALMOST WON THE GAME against the sixth seeded Sixers (that's a mouthful). If anything, that just proves how great of a team they are, that their reserves can almost beat a playoff team out East.'

Logic, haha. I don't believe in sports and logic. I believe in momentum. I believe in a team exiting the playoffs with momentum having a better chance than a team with 5 more wins than them. I believe in the underdog over the undefeated team. I believe that, like us, athletes run on emotions and magnetic pulls. THAT'S why I think the Cavs suffered because of the loss. Not because it makes sense - but because it's another loss at home. This is de-moralizing. This is just how sports are. I am saying that this loss, this concession, will affect them later on. Disagree if you want, but let's see who knows what when they lose 2 or 3 home playoff games earlier than you think.


Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: I Don't Know How Many Basketball Fans We Have Here, But...
Evenflow8112 wrote:
'With Manu Ginobili the San Antonio Spurs are championship contenders.'

No, they're not. Regardless, this isn't the reality. I believe you and I (eerie) nailed this one down with 'they will be lucky to get past the first round'. They were at full strength for some of those regular season losses, too, but I digress.

'Um, Bonner, Finley, and Mason Jr. have all been in the starting lineup since the beginning of the year.'

I was talking about Gooden, and I would assume he would need to consistently perform in order for the Spurs to have a shot. It's like saying if Marbury scores extra for the Celts, they'll forget about KG or it will make up for it. Whatever.

'About your Marc Stein comments, what the hell are you talking about? He's probably one of the more objective basketball analysts I know.'

Over almost the entirety of the second half of the season The Lakers have been on top of his list for all but one week recently, and that's when he was basically forced to act because of the Cavs' late-season dominance. He then proceeded to place the Lakers on top again to end the season, like a fat kid clutching to a melting ice cream sandwich in the summer heat. It takes a world of effort for him to move the Lakers down, and a win or loss here or there for him to put them right back onto their perch. It was alot like how the NFL Power Rankings were with the Titans. He leaned so hard on them that it was almost harrassment.

'Even without Manu they still found a way to nab the third seed.'

This was, once, 'Even with Manu they're number 2.' Next month, wait for; 'Even without Manu, they brought Dallas to seven games.'

It's amazing how you gave up all hope on the team earlier - when they still HAD the two-seed, and on a loss to Cleveland nevertheless - to coming right back with little to no encouragement and jumping back on the Spurs chariot.

'If you're taking the Cavs home loss to the SIXERS seriously, your worse off than I thought. I know your a Boston Celtics fan (kind of?), but are you kidding me? The Cavs played without LeBron, Mo Williams, Joe Smith, and Delonte West AND STILL ALMOST WON THE GAME against the sixth seeded Sixers (that's a mouthful). If anything, that just proves how great of a team they are, that their reserves can almost beat a playoff team out East.'

Logic, haha. I don't believe in sports and logic. I believe in momentum. I believe in a team exiting the playoffs with momentum having a better chance than a team with 5 more wins than them. I believe in the underdog over the undefeated team. I believe that, like us, athletes run on emotions and magnetic pulls. THAT'S why I think the Cavs suffered because of the loss. Not because it makes sense - but because it's another loss at home. This is de-moralizing. This is just how sports are. I am saying that this loss, this concession, will affect them later on. Disagree if you want, but let's see who knows what when they lose 2 or 3 home playoff games earlier than you think.


Your are an expert at twisting words. When did I ever say with Manu Ginobili the Spurs weren't a championship contender. Answer? I never said that. I said without him, they aren't, and I still believe that unless they keep improving. I said earlier they weren't "looking" like they were in good shape, and by the way they were playing, it looked like they were due for a first round exit. Since another disappointing loss to Portland, they've caught fire. What's wrong with relying in mid-season acquisitions? The Lakers relied on Pau Gasol last year when they acquired him midway through the season, the Spurs rely on Gooden's production seeing now Ginobili is out. Its funny you accuse me of essentially bandwagoning on the Spurs again. I've been a fan of them since I was five years old. You on the other hand "in a perfect world" would be a Nets fan, but, as we already established, since they "suck" (which they don't, in two years you'll be all over them again), your a Celtics "fan".

Its hilarious how you go out of your way to bash the contenders (like the Spurs, Cavs), basically anyone but the shoe-in Lakers (because its obvious they're destined for the Finals). You think anyone outside of the Lakers can't match up with Boston's greatness. Now your relying on "if the Celtics had KG" arguments. Um, there's no way of knowing even if the Celtics had KG that they would be able to topple the Cavs. They're a contender with KG or without KG, I think the most important part of that team is Paul Pierce. Still, even with the Big 3 intact, the Cavs have proven to be the better team out East, but, as I've said before, the playoffs are a new season, so we'll see.

Getting back to the Spurs, you say with Ginobili they aren't even a "contender"? Your insane. Even though the Lakers would still obviously be the favorite out West, the Spurs have won three rings in six years with Ginobili. I think that says something.

Funny you believe in "logic", "logic" tells me that if you keep 4/5 of your starting lineup out a game, you're probably going to lose, like the Cavs did to Philly. Yet you act like it was such an embarrassment to lose to a playoff team on their home floor (by one). Your jealousy of the Cavs dominance in the Eastern Conference is laughable.

Stein is entitled to his opinion on the Lakers, you can't blame him, they have the best team in the league. Your really expecting him to put the Celtics? I mean I used to be disappointed when the ESPN "experts" didn't put the Spurs #1 all the time when they were awesome, but that was when I was like in the 9th grade.

You're really going to call me out because the Spurs finished #3 instead of #2? What happened to "they'll finish #5". Looks like I was less wrong than you :).

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 121  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr