Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next
My Life 
Post Re: My Life
Great day today.

I do volunteer work at the weekends and we successfully put 8 German Shepherds into great homes today.

They are dogs who have either been given up or abandoned and have reached the end of their road.

We take them out of pounds, foster them and find them homes.

Gorgeous animals, mistreated by humans given a 2nd chance

Makes me happy.
Rob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:24 pm
Cinematographer

I actually got to catch up on a couple of classics I never managed to see. The wife and son went on an overnight field trip leaving me and my daughter at home. With two TVs in the house, I seldom get time on one of them; which is just as well since I rarely have time left over to indulge. Fired up the Netflix and watch Vampyr and Yojimbo. I never watched Yojimbo because I have loved A Fistful of Dollars since childhood and didn't want to revisit the story even after I learned that Yojimbo was the original. What a shame. I like the story Yojimbo better without all the juiced up flourishes that Leone added later.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:44 am
CasualDad wrote:
I actually got to catch up on a couple of classics I never managed to see. The wife and son went on an overnight field trip leaving me and my daughter at home. With two TVs in the house, I seldom get time on one of them; which is just as well since I rarely have time left over to indulge. Fired up the Netflix and watch Vampyr and Yojimbo. I never watched Yojimbo because I have loved A Fistful of Dollars since childhood and didn't want to revisit the story even after I learned that Yojimbo was the original. What a shame. I like the story Yojimbo better without all the juiced up flourishes that Leone added later.

Nice double feature. You'd probably get more response in the "Last Movie you Watched" thread but small matter. I like Yojimbo a lot too and agree that it's better than A Fistful. Do check out Sanjuro too when you get around to it. It's the sequel to Yojimbo and might even be a little better. It's certainly funnier.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:32 am
Cinematographer

Thanks Ed. I actually have seen Sanjuro, but its been many, many years. I need to revisit that one for sure. I know I should've put it in the last movie watched area, but figured these were so old and well known that I'd leave them out of there. It has been nice to have some time to calm down with half of the family out for a day. All will be back to the hectic and happy normal in a couple of hours.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 pm
Since this seems to be the de facto feedback thread...

This is a short story I wrote. It's a little long so I won't be surprised if nobody reads it, but it's partial to me because I got an A+ and got it published in my school's creative journal even though I wrote it the night before it was due. If anyone actually reads it, let me know what you think!

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:47 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Since this seems to be the de facto feedback thread...

This is a short story I wrote. It's a little long so I won't be surprised if nobody reads it, but it's partial to me because I got an A+ and got it published in my school's creative journal even though I wrote it the night before it was due. If anyone actually reads it, let me know what you think!

WOW!

I loved this. When I started reading I was thinking that I'd check it out and probably not finish. I was transfixed.

I'm still thinking
Rob

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:47 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
WOW!

I loved this. When I started reading I was thinking that I'd check it out and probably not finish. I was transfixed.

I'm still thinking
Rob

I'm just glad somebody actually read (and enjoyed) it!

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
WOW!

I'm still thinking
Rob

I'm just glad somebody actually read (and enjoyed) it!

Didn't enjoy, really loved it. Will likely reread in a few days
Thanks so much. An awesome 10 minutes
Rob

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 am
Thanks Rob :D

Most of my friends told me they'd "read it later," which translates as "too long, not going to read this but I don't want to hurt your feelings by saying that, so I'll lie instead" so your response is both welcome and appreciated. So again, thank you for giving a writer that warm, fuzzy feeling he gets when he finds an audience, even if my audience only includes you and my english teacher (and the people who read it from my school's publication, but I don't get feedback from them so they don't count) :lol:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:11 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Thanks Rob :D

Most of my friends told me they'd "read it later," which translates as "too long, not going to read this but I don't want to hurt your feelings by saying that, so I'll lie instead" so your response is both welcome and appreciated. So again, thank you for giving a writer that warm, fuzzy feeling he gets when he finds an audience, even if my audience only includes you and my english teacher (and the people who read it from my school's publication, but I don't get feedback from them so they don't count) :lol:

You're welcome. It was nice to read something rather than always watching.
Rob

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:28 am
Not to be an attention whore or anything, but I was praying on the strength of Rob's recommendation that I'd get at least one other response...at this point even harsh, unjust and un-constructive criticism would be welcome, so long as the person read it.

Maybe I should write rap songs or something mainstream and easily accessible :lol:

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 pm
Timmy,

I'm not sure my recommendation will help your page views :-)
Seriously though, this is a wonderful 10 minute diversion that made em think
Fot that I thank you

Rob

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:50 am
Cinematographer

Good story Timmy. I'm not much into emotional discourse (Francisco is my hero in this tale), but I enjoyed it. Almost has a Hemingway feel at some points. Absolutely amazing considering it is straight off the pen with no editing.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 pm
Obama just won the 2012 election.

Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
Obama just won the 2012 election.

Nope, people have ADSD - this will be forgotten within 4 weeks
You're talking over a year
Of course, I hope you're wrong, not even knowing who will run for the Republicans
To think of it, they should have kept this secret for 16 months :-)
Rob

Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 am
CasualDad wrote:
Good story Timmy. I'm not much into emotional discourse (Francisco is my hero in this tale), but I enjoyed it. Almost has a Hemingway feel at some points. Absolutely amazing considering it is straight off the pen with no editing.

Woah, that's higher praise than I ever could have hope for (being compared to Hemingway). :shock:

Thanks for reading it, it's truly appreciated. Glad you liked Francisco, though I'm not sure the actual Francisco de Orellana was that likable, lol.

Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 pm
I'm off to the UK tonight to see my mom for 2 weeks.
She has no internet so keeping in touch is though the cell phone network at $10 per GB :-(
Have fun
Rob

Tue May 03, 2011 10:39 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Welcome back to the UK! The weather has been very nice.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 am
Arron wrote:
Welcome back to the UK! The weather has been very nice.

Thanks, it's rained almost solidly the last two years i was over
Guess the wet days start tomorrow :-(
Rob

Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Well, I've got two kids at home with the Chicken Pox. The older one (6) may have them again at some point in her life, as she has the most mild case I've ever seen or heard of. I think she may have about a half dozen or eight pox. The younger one (4), well, she's just a horror show. It makes me itch and squirm just looking at her. Poor kid.

Thu May 05, 2011 1:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next