Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
My Life 
Post Re: My Life
Animaniac wrote:
I'm a recently separated (getting divorced) father of 3. I'm 35 and back to living with my parents. :( I work in the accounting department of a health insurance company and working part-time cleaning. When I'm not watching movies or vegging in front of the TV, I'm spending time with my kids, playing poker or PC games, and watching baseball.

An official welcome to the forums, Animaniac. May I ask about your username? Fan of "The Animaniacs" or just a fan of animated fare?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:57 pm
Gaffer

ed_metal_head wrote:
Animaniac wrote:
I'm a recently separated (getting divorced) father of 3. I'm 35 and back to living with my parents. :( I work in the accounting department of a health insurance company and working part-time cleaning. When I'm not watching movies or vegging in front of the TV, I'm spending time with my kids, playing poker or PC games, and watching baseball.

An official welcome to the forums, Animaniac. May I ask about your username? Fan of "The Animaniacs" or just a fan of animated fare?

Oooh. I love Animaniacs. Started watching it in high school and into college. I love that it has both jokes for adults and children. I've gotten my kids interested in it.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:19 pm
I have to confess, O Reelviews Forum...

I have had a terrible fucking streak for about the last four months. I cannot get through a fucking film without dozing off at home. Does not matter the quality of the film, I wake up to the damn DVD title screen music looping over and over again. Or if it's not the DVD, I'm watching infomercials cuz the DVR timed out. It fucking sucks. The only time I find time to watch something seems to be after 9pm when the kids are in bed and I am drained out of my mind. It seems I can only get through films in parts which completely destroys the impact of whatever film I'm watching.

Most recent attempted viewings include Modern Times (I've had the fucking disc for over a month and a half), Jeanne Dielman (I feel it will take me the remainder of the year to watch this at my pace), Little Ceasar (O.G's. can't save narcolepsy), Spellbound (Greg Peck's gorgeousness can't even keep me awake), M (that film was started last fucking year!), and an episode of Wipeout.

What the fuck guys?! I'm getting thoroughly frustrated here.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:29 am
I've also been finding it hard to start and finish films lately. i just feel quite ADD

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 am
Soon enough I'll be on my way to a new temporary home in Greenwood and the day after tomorrow I start my new job. Excited I am

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I have to confess, O Reelviews Forum...

I have had a terrible fucking streak for about the last four months. I cannot get through a fucking film without dozing off at home. Does not matter the quality of the film, I wake up to the damn DVD title screen music looping over and over again. Or if it's not the DVD, I'm watching infomercials cuz the DVR timed out. It fucking sucks. The only time I find time to watch something seems to be after 9pm when the kids are in bed and I am drained out of my mind. It seems I can only get through films in parts which completely destroys the impact of whatever film I'm watching.

Most recent attempted viewings include Modern Times (I've had the fucking disc for over a month and a half), Jeanne Dielman (I feel it will take me the remainder of the year to watch this at my pace), Little Ceasar (O.G's. can't save narcolepsy), Spellbound (Greg Peck's gorgeousness can't even keep me awake), M (that film was started last fucking year!), and an episode of Wipeout.

What the fuck guys?! I'm getting thoroughly frustrated here.

I'd suggest skipping movies entirely for a while in favour of getting more sleep. Either that or consume copious amounts of caffeine. Although you'd probably need to install a television near the toilet for that one.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 pm
Woot I might actually have a chance at seeing Agalloch live. I just have to forego a night of studying in the middle of a busy week -_-

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:50 pm
Director

This month I will be taking a total of three trips--Athens, GA; Tempe, AZ; Tallahassee, FL. Warm weather and political science departments, ahoy!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm
Last week, I started talking to this girl in my American Literature class. We seemed to hit it off; we walked around a bit after class and I ended up giving her a ride home. I wasn't sure if I fucked up, but I went into yesterday's class thinking I had a legitimate chance at asking her out. Well, one way or another I don't think that's going to happen. I was really nervous and mealy-mouthed, and in general I didn't know what to say to her. She seemed to want to avoid me, though she was kind enough to give me a ride to my car.

So that's my life right now: a big pile of girl troubles. I was really down about this yesterday (like, really down) and in fact I'm still down, but the earthquake in Japan struck last night. I know people over there; some have responded but others haven't. I'm worried. My problems seem really minor in comparison and I should take advantage of what I have. Right? Right.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:37 pm
Pedro wrote:
Last week, I started talking to this girl in my American Literature class. We seemed to hit it off; we walked around a bit after class and I ended up giving her a ride home. I wasn't sure if I fucked up, but I went into yesterday's class thinking I had a legitimate chance at asking her out. Well, one way or another I don't think that's going to happen. I was really nervous and mealy-mouthed, and in general I didn't know what to say to her. She seemed to want to avoid me, though she was kind enough to give me a ride to my car.

So that's my life right now: a big pile of girl troubles. I was really down about this yesterday (like, really down) and in fact I'm still down, but the earthquake in Japan struck last night. I know people over there; some have responded but others haven't. I'm worried. My problems seem really minor in comparison and I should take advantage of what I have. Right? Right.

Dont' feel so bad, honestly I myself never pay much attention to major disasters and don't read articles about them(hell 9/11 was pretty much a normal day for me, I wasn't tramautized by it or anything) because that's just not something like to think about or dwell on, and that dosen't make me a bad person, I just have other things on my mind, after all obsessing over tragic events certainly isn't going to get my next assignment for my night class finished.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 pm
Vexer wrote:
Dont' feel so bad, honestly I myself never pay much attention to major disasters and don't read articles about them(hell 9/11 was pretty much a normal day for me, I wasn't tramautized by it or anything) because that's just not something like to think about or dwell on, and that dosen't make me a bad person, I just have other things on my mind, after all obsessing over tragic events certainly isn't going to get my next assignment for my night class finished.

"A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle."

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:20 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I never said I only cared about myself, I certainly do care about other people, I just don't like to dwell on major tragedies, I help out by making the occasional donation to local charities.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I wonder if perhaps that quote could be applied to myself. *sigh*

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm
Pedro wrote:

And what if an earthquake strikes San Fran tomorrow and crushes both your Pedros? Ask her out, man. Tell her you enjoyed the first talk and wanted to ask her out. Say your shyness made you nervous the second time.

Go in thinking that she'll reject you. Actually, hope for the rejection. Think of all the money you'll save by staying single. If she says yes then that might be cool too. Or just invite her to your birthday party. Other folks will be there and she'll get the chance to see a weird ass movie. You'll have fun if she shows or if she doesn't.

Look, I'm shitty at giving out advice and I know rejection hurts, but at least you won't waste time wondering what might have been.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm
Director

Quote:
She seemed to want to avoid me, though she was kind enough to give me a ride to my car.

Maybe she was shy, too? Ask her out. Now. Otherwise you'll regret not doing it and may feign being happy for her if she's with some other guy down the road.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 pm
Pedro wrote:

I'll echo what everyone else said. Just ask her out or ask her to your party. Just don't read too much into situations until you give yourself a reason not to do something. Like has been said, maybe she was also shy. Maybe she even thought it was cute you were nervous (a lot of girls do). Who knows? Who cares? There's a million things to read into, but it doesn't solve anything. Don't just wait until you know the girl will go for you. Be ambitious! Go for the girl you want! If she rejects you, then punch her in the head. Ok, don't do that, but you have to be willing to put yourself out there to connect with someone. That sounds horribly cliche and mushy, but it's true.

Do it Pedro, and thank Reelviews forum later for this pep talk.

Pedro wrote:

Of course you're right. Any individual's problems are minor in comparison to the catastrophe in Japan. I hope everyone you know is alright. That said, it doesn't make you feel any better about yourself to tell yourself that you're silly for having your problems. They're still problems whether the earthquake hit Japan or not. You owe it to yourself to solve them, not to push them aside because they don't compare to a major world catastrophe. It doesn't make you any less sympathetic towards Japan, or any lesser of a person.

Cheer up, Pedro. You're a swell guy. Take this lady to one of the cool movies they seem to always be showing out there. Show off your abundance of film knowledge. That's who you are. Even if she doesn't care, if she's in to you she'll think it's cool that you're passionate about something.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:59 pm
Pedro wrote:

Pedro,
I've given your situation some thought and, while I hate hearing or saying 'This is what you gotta do...', that's what I'm going to say.

The band-aid needs to come off quick. Don't break the ice by applying slow steady pressure. Hit it hard.
You like this girl, right? Don't dwell on that, you're putting emotional stock in a teetering corporation. Put it out of your head. Craft a situation where you meet with her and start a conversation that you know should last longer than a couple of minutes; a hallway walk to classroom or whatever. Then, Pedro, you're in a rush. You've got somewhere to be 2 minutes ago.
You say "Hey" could we finish this conversation over coffee (-while appearing to fumble through your mental rolodex- insert time and date here), cause I gotta run". You now have thrown her a hot potato that she's either going to hold or drop. If she drops it, you slip back to cordial conversations. She'll pick it up again later if the feeling is there. If she holds it, you're in. You mash that potato.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:08 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Awf Hand wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Pedro,
I've given your situation some thought and, while I hate hearing or saying 'This is what you gotta do...', that's what I'm going to say.

The band-aid needs to come off quick. Don't break the ice by applying slow steady pressure. Hit it hard.
You like this girl, right? Don't dwell on that, you're putting emotional stock in a teetering corporation. Put it out of your head. Craft a situation where you meet with her and start a conversation that you know should last longer than a couple of minutes; a hallway walk to classroom or whatever. Then, Pedro, you're in a rush. You've got somewhere to be 2 minutes ago.
You say "Hey" could we finish this conversation over coffee (-while appearing to fumble through your mental rolodex- insert time and date here), cause I gotta run". You now have thrown her a hot potato that she's either going to hold or drop. If she drops it, you slip back to cordial conversations. She'll pick it up again later if the feeling is there. If she holds it, you're in. You mash that potato.

THIS. be smart, make her work for what YOU want. make her feel as though she's unimportant and wonder WHY you're not clamouring to ask her out before finally asking her out, she'll be falling over herself to accept. if she doesn't, go watch your favourite movies, listen to your favourite songs and order pizza, and then go find someone else.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 am
Profile WWW
I have to go to work in a little while, but thanks everyone for the helpful comments. (I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic because I mean it.) I tend to lapse into periods of self-doubt and self-flagellation and it's none too attractive when this occurs. I'm sure it's a defense mechanism; I probably have less problems than I like to think I do.

We'll see what happens next week. I like the hot potato idea, though I probably won't actually ask her anything unless I feel like we've had a successful conversation. At the very least, if I feel like I'm coming off like a bother, I don't want her to give me a ride to my car.

"Think of all the money you'll save by staying single." This is also enticing. :lol:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 am
[quote="Pedro"]...I probably won't actually ask her anything unless I feel like we've had a successful conversation. At the very least, if I feel like I'm coming off like a bother, I don't want her to give me a ride to my car.
quote]

If you're really quick on your feet conversationally, you can analyze this "successful" interaction in your head while its occuring. I remember how I was when I still cared what people thought about me, and I would analyze things to death. "What I should've said" came to me some time after. I lost some good opportunities while thinking about them.
It's okay to show interest -aloof only sells on TV/movies- but make it direct. The guy kicking the can down the sidewalk will be doing that for awhile.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next