Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
My Life 
Post Re: My Life
firefly wrote:
I watched some badminton during the last Olympics. It was actually kind of enjoyable to watch, in a weird way. Maybe I'll get my kids trained to be Olympic Badminton athletes--the competition base has to be one of the lower of Olympic sports.

Don't do it! Those kids will get their butts handed to them by anyone from the Asian continent. Chinese in particular. They take the game very seriously in those parts and absolutely dominate.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:39 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
firefly wrote:
I watched some badminton during the last Olympics. It was actually kind of enjoyable to watch, in a weird way. Maybe I'll get my kids trained to be Olympic Badminton athletes--the competition base has to be one of the lower of Olympic sports.

Don't do it! Those kids will get their butts handed to them by anyone from the Asian continent. Chinese in particular. They take the game very seriously in those parts and absolutely dominate.

I think I saw, amongst other teams, the Korean team, totally kicking butt. It's ok to get beat, though--getting to the Olympics would be sweet. Even if it's a sport where people are like, "Oh, they have that in the Olympics? :shock: :? "

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 pm
Debating starting the p90x program. If anyone has any information or feedback on p90x let me know.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm back with my girlfriend who I've been with for a year before we split up. We've sorted everything that happened and are going away this weekend for a nice romantic break. Blackpool isn't the most romantic of places, but we're more into theme parks, amusements, fish and chips and walks on beaches; perfect for us. I'm officially a happy guy again.

In other news:

I've got a temporary promotion at work for the next 3/4 months whilst someone is off sick. I will be in charge of a team and have loads of other responsibilities. I look forward to starting on Monday. The downside of that is the 7am start.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 am
Arron wrote:
I've got a temporary promotion at work for the next 3/4 months whilst someone is off sick. I will be in charge of a team and have loads of other responsibilities. I look forward to starting on Monday. The downside of that is the 7am start.

I bet you didn't get a temporary pay rise to go with it...

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:45 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
I recently got back from vacationing in Costa Rica for a few weeks. I highly recommend Costa Rica as a vacation spot for anyone. I would be a second semester sophomore but I'm taking the semester off and in April I'm going to Bangkok to volunteer for 6 weeks. There I'll be teaching conversational english to little Thai kids.

Hey Spence...I have to ask what parts of Costa Rica you managed to hit up? My wife's Costa Rican and we try to do the yearly trip with the family down there. I effing love it...

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:43 pm
ram1312 wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:
I recently got back from vacationing in Costa Rica for a few weeks. I highly recommend Costa Rica as a vacation spot for anyone. I would be a second semester sophomore but I'm taking the semester off and in April I'm going to Bangkok to volunteer for 6 weeks. There I'll be teaching conversational english to little Thai kids.

Hey Spence...I have to ask what parts of Costa Rica you managed to hit up? My wife's Costa Rican and we try to do the yearly trip with the family down there. I effing love it...

I was in Nosara, or near the bottom of the Pacific Peninsula. My Aunt and Uncle own an amazing vacation home there. I hope to go back there annually because everything about the trip was truly amazing.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Debating starting the p90x program. If anyone has any information or feedback on p90x let me know.

p90x is great if you want to build muscle. But if you just want to get toned and fit, Insanity is a lot more fun and achievable, I think. I support both programs, and neither is really easier or harder because they are so different, but if you're not doing it to prepare for an athletic event of some sort, I think Insanity offers more and better options.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 am
Shade wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:

p90x is great if you want to build muscle. But if you just want to get toned and fit, Insanity is a lot more fun and achievable, I think. I support both programs, and neither is really easier or harder because they are so different, but if you're not doing it to prepare for an athletic event of some sort, I think Insanity offers more and better options.

Thanks Shade. If I'm not fat or anything but just sort of out of shape, would I be able to really do both of these programs? From what I've read, p90x is probably slightly easier than Insanity.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Shade wrote:
spencerworth34 wrote:

Thanks Shade. If I'm not fat or anything but just sort of out of shape, would I be able to really do both of these programs? From what I've read, p90x is probably slightly easier than Insanity.

I would definitely NOT try to do both at the same time.

I don't know that one is harder than the other...Insanity really pushes you; it's like it says: 16 minutes of Insanity. Whereas p90x is a little slower paced but equally hard if you do it correctly.

You know this and I know why this can be weird, but I can't recommend highly enough that you find someone to do it with you every day. It doesn't even have to be someone who's as in/out of shape as you are, just someone willing to do it. Especially if you do Insanity, it's easier to push each other to finish.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 pm
Alrighty I officially ordered P90X!!!!!! Time to get ripped.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:57 pm
I got a drawing tablet a little while ago and I'm starting to figure out how it works.

(Stupidly hi-res version here.)

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 pm
Good job, Ken. If I practised for years I still would not be able to draw as well as your first attempt. So...how'd you decide on the Man of Steel's package size? There's been some debate of that in the movies. Stories of digital alterations and all that.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:45 pm
I used a photo reference of Christopher Reeve in costume to accurately capture some of the... features.

Of course, the costume designers had to hash it out for themselves, but I'm happy to let them fuss over it.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
So...how'd you decide on the Man of Steel's package size?

Good. I'm not the only one thinking it.

And majoraphasia ain't even around.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm
There's a production featurette on the special edition DVD, in which Margot Kidder discusses the various sized codpieces that they'd have Christopher Reeve in on any given day. Her, imitating Ilya Salkind's voice: "Eezer he haz ze beeg one, or he haz nozzing!"

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm
ram1312 wrote:

I can't be the only one who notices that he goes on these breaks ever so often. My working theory is that being so creative all the time is draining and he burns out every couple of months. Give him a week or two. I'm sure he'll come back swinging. Hopefully not at Josh's head.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

I can't be the only one who notices that he goes on these breaks ever so often. My working theory is that being so creative all the time is draining and he burns out every couple of months. Give him a week or two. I'm sure he'll come back swinging. Hopefully not at Josh's head.

The swinging will re-commence when some tsuris clears up. Lots going on in the non-electronic universe.

DELETED A PARAGRAPH. YOU WON'T MISS IT. I WON'T MISS IT. NOBODY'LL MISS IT. IT DESERVED TO BE DELETED.

Lastly: I do get burned out. My movie-watching dries up whenever I'm away from the forum so it's self-perpetuating. Also: I'm a twitchy, anxiety-fueled person that can be a baby. I like taking breaks from the forum now and again but they always seem to be the result of little tantrums. I'm still working on 1983-1985 with my shrink but will hopefully cover my Forum Life when we reach 2009-2011. Also: he's pretty insistent on drugs. Also: I don't want to take an anti-depressant. Do you take one? Did it work? Also: is it really all from childhood? He says "where else would the anxiety come from?" but... I mean... there are actual IMMEDIATE pressures. Also: Psychiatrists are expensive! Also: the entire relationship is basically predicated on my being at least somewhat nutty (which is fair) and him being at least twice as sane as I. If that's true than why did he go into psychiatry? Someone should kick his ass. You?

And to Josh: I'm never permanently irritated with anyone. Just the totally un-interactable Pimpbot called Evenflow8112. He's not a person, though.

Last edited by majoraphasia on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

The swinging will re-commence when some tsuris clears up. Lots going on in the non-electronic universe.

I was pretty irritated with Josh about what I thought were empty promises. I know I've done the same thing with any number of my didn't-plan-but-turned-out-empty promises but (theoretically) a lot of people had watched Modern Times and there was this refrain of "it's coming" and "almost done" and "up ASAP" that I thought totally fucked up the club's reboot. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll post the whole write-up for Metropolis when I'm at my home PC (if I had the latest version of Windows I could access it from HERE!) but I faded on that, obviously. Still will get posted.

Lastly: I do get burned out. My movie-watching dries up whenever I'm away from the forum so it's self-perpetuating. Also: I'm a twitchy, anxiety-fueled person that can be a baby. I like taking breaks from the forum now and again but they always seem to be the result of little tantrums. I'm still working on 1983-1985 with my shrink but will hopefully cover my Forum Life when we reach 2009-2011. Also: he's pretty insistent on drugs. Also: I don't want to take an anti-depressant. Do you take one? Did it work? Also: is it really all from childhood? He says "where else would the anxiety come from?" but... I mean... there are actual IMMEDIATE pressures. Also: Psychiatrists are expensive! Also: the entire relationship is basically predicated on my being at least somewhat nutty (which is fair) and him being at least twice as sane as I. If that's true than why did he go into psychiatry? Someone should kick his ass. You?

And to Josh: I'm never permanently irritated with anyone. Just the totally un-interactable Pimpbot called Evenflow8112. He's not a person, though.

Taking anti-depressants makes me sad. Buy a motorcycle. You never see a motorcycle outside a shrink's office -unless the shrink rides one...

I've been waiting for "Metropolis" comments as well.

Wish me luck! I'm off to teach a college course this afternoon. I am not a college prof, but I've been "guest-lecturer" a few times now. The pay sucks (= or < zero) but the adrenaline rush is better than bungee-jumping.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:27 pm
Gaffer

I'm a recently separated (getting divorced) father of 3. I'm 35 and back to living with my parents. :( I work in the accounting department of a health insurance company and working part-time cleaning. When I'm not watching movies or vegging in front of the TV, I'm spending time with my kids, playing poker or PC games, and watching baseball.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next