Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
My Life 
Cinematographer

Post Re: My Life
JamesKunz wrote:
Damn John. How do you sit in coach on an airplane?

Nothing pisses me off more than when some 5 foot 2 inch bastard gets to the Exit Row before I can. Once when flying to Rome, British Airways bumped me up to business class (with the seats that fold flat in little sleeping cubicles) because, in the words of the ticket agent, I "deserved it". That embarrassed me and my midwestern values (the notion that I "deserved" anything), but at the end of the day I had a mighty nice rest fully sprawled out on the flight out.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 pm
Producer

Congrats on the news, Jonny.

You brave bastard!

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:04 am
Second Unit Director

Nice work Johnny. Babies are a great way to start people.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:21 pm
Second Unit Director

So, early 2012 I thought it would be cool to use a screen in my local cineplex as a jukebox and arrange a special showing of a bicycling movie. We got the stunning documentary "Bicycle Dreams" by Stephen Auerbach. It was a pretty successful showing (117 patrons) and I tried to make sure that ALL evidence (other than concession sales :-D ) of our showing was cleared. The theater owner was pleased and we enjoyed working together. -I even bought all the extra DVD's that were unsold myself. Now I've become the bike club's "movie guy" and am working on another showing for February '13. This is on top of other bike club activities: trail development proposals, municipalty agreements, land manager meetings, etc.

Man-oh-man, if you have a hobby or group that you belong to that persues a sport or activity, and you get the chance to work with a promoter and theater owner to arrange a movie showing within your special topical interest, DO IT!! Seeing the details of theater operations, projections and promotions from the inside is a whole different world from simply looking at the screen and its moving pictures.

I've been too busy to post much here about movie thoughts, but it has been a really freakin' good kind of busy!

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm
Cinematographer

I turned in my final project for graduate school over the weekend and it was accepted this morning. So I have now officially completed everything I need, with distinction, for my Masters degree, which I'll receive in early August.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I'm a little rusty on my Blonde Almond e-stalking. What's your concentration?

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I'm a little rusty on my Blonde Almond e-stalking. What's your concentration?

It's a Master of Arts in English with a concentration in Professional Writing, mainly technical writing for either business or government organizations. If anything, the degree gives me some more flexibility for different types of positions (my undergrad degree in Film and Media Studies didn't exactly set me up all that well for the workplace).

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Haha, my BA was in Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures with a concentration in Professional Writing. Cool.

And I almost majored in film direction... had almost an AA's worth of credits before I changed.

I'll ask you what all my relatives ask me: So, you're going to be a journalist or an English teacher or something?

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Haha, my BA was in Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures with a concentration in Professional Writing. Cool.

And I almost majored in film direction... had almost an AA's worth of credits before I changed.

I'll ask you what all my relatives ask me: So, you're going to be a journalist or an English teacher or something?

I switched majors as an undergrad too, from Film Production to Film and Media Studies. Not that big of a switch admittedly; I had a good amount of the classes done for the former, but wasn't really satisfied with what I was getting out of the program and the classes were spaced out in a strange way so that it would have taken me an extra year and a half to finish everything.

I get that same question from relatives all the time too, and to be honest I'm still not 100% sure. My internship right now has me rewriting website content and manuals for a small company, and while journalism or teaching would probably fit me better, I might go down the business road first. We'll see.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Oh man. Guess who's going to meet Adam West on Monday.

He's signing autographs and giving a talk on campus. I know that a lot of dweebs are going to show up to see the Mayor of Quahog, but we all know who he really is. And, if I can find it, I'm going to have him sign the first Batman comic I ever owned.

I know it sounds corny, and I know his goofy-as-shit Batman doesn't fly for the current generation, but his Batman was just as much a part of my childhood as the 1989 film or the animated series.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am
Cinematographer

Cool that you'll get to meet Adam West. The old Batman show was highly entertaining when viewed with the right mindset and his steady and stoic take on the role was perfect for playing off the zany villains on the show. The tone of the show was a great contrast to all of the social issues boiling at the time. There was some underlying social commentary, but for the most part it was just pure 60's style fun. I'd go out of my way to meet him if he came to this area.

Blonde and Ken,

Your education and knowledge are very well reflected in your writings. I hope you can forgive the poorly formatted ramblings from an aging engineer. I admire yours skills.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 am
Producer

Oh man.

I am totally going to a theatrical screening of Superman tonight.

Oh man.

You guys.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:56 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Oh man.

I am totally going to a theatrical screening of Superman tonight.

Oh man.

You guys.

Certainly one of the greatest movies to view in a communal gathering before the big screen! Have fun.

I'll be watching the kids while my wife is out playing with her girl friends.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 am
Critic

I'm showing Master and Commander to my 8th graders on Monday/Tuesday. That'll be a blast. Always is

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 pm
Director

My country is currently living through a violent, political Rashomon right now. Protestors from two sides. One of them used force to shut down our telecommunication server for a few hours, and now there is at least one dead body about half an hour from where I live, and both sides point to the other side, with conflicting report all around.

Some of my fellow countrymen have been saying before that no, we wouldn't become like Egypt or Israel. But now we're skirting too close to becoming half of that. Are we humans incapable of spiraling towards our own destruction?

This is why things like The Act of Killing or Catching Fire are resonating here. One side even compare that they have symbols like Mockingjay pins; in this case they are whistles, to symbolize the waking the country up. Ppft, that side sure uses their symbols to harass those who don't take sides too often.

Rambling on a bit here, but this is where I can vent freely. Internet talk about Thai politics have become too nonsensical and immature. Your thread about Obamacare, and comments under US politics articles, looked like casual conversation by comparison. If you just said one thing that even mildly conflicts someone's thoughts, 80% of the time it went to "Oh, so you are on (the other side)". People, man..

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:47 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
My country is currently living through a violent, political Rashomon right now. Protestors from two sides. One of them used force to shut down our telecommunication server for a few hours, and now there is at least one dead body about half an hour from where I live, and both sides point to the other side, with conflicting report all around.

Some of my fellow countrymen have been saying before that no, we wouldn't become like Egypt or Israel. But now we're skirting too close to becoming half of that. Are we humans incapable of spiraling towards our own destruction?

This is why things like The Act of Killing or Catching Fire are resonating here. One side even compare that they have symbols like Mockingjay pins; in this case they are whistles, to symbolize the waking the country up. Ppft, that side sure uses their symbols to harass those who don't take sides too often.

Rambling on a bit here, but this is where I can vent freely. Internet talk about Thai politics have become too nonsensical and immature. Your thread about Obamacare, and comments under US politics articles, looked like casual conversation by comparison. If you just said one thing that even mildly conflicts someone's thoughts, 80% of the time it went to "Oh, so you are on (the other side)". People, man..

I feel your pain
Hopefully it will pass quickly for you.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:13 pm
Director

Ha! I almost forgot I wrote this. Shouldn't have mixed politics with alcohol :) .

Thanks for the kind words. The situations have escalated since, but thankfully not too much in term of violence.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:19 pm
Second Unit Director

My 1996 Geo with 183k on it will be leaving the fleet. My wife bought this thing in 1999 (before we were married) and with 14 years of service to us, it is a little sad to see it go. The kids call it the "purple car of wonder"; (They are really freaking upset about this) it's not a Barney purple, but more of a deep concord. The heat no longer works consistently and, with the other symptoms it's showing, it likely needs a head gasket. A 5-speed, it has never had the clutch replaced (works fine, but...damn) Also, it will soon be due for another timing belt. The lower sills are completely rusted off with the rear fenders not far behind. The windshield cracked in the upper right corner, having had no noted impact, resulting, I think from the unibody changing shape due to rust. This has been a great car. I think the only non-wear-related failings it ever had were 1 (one) light bulb, an O2 sensor and a seatbelt retractor. Hell, the front brakes lasted over 100k!
I'm looking at replacing it with a '99 Buick (with the 3.8 V6), but may have to get an old guy hat to wear when driving. :(
The upside to this is that I'd be that much more motivated to ride my bike... 8-)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 pm
Cinematographer

Got a job. A technical writer position at a home loan business. Not the most glamorous position in the world, but I'll certainly take it for now.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm going to see It's A Wonderful Life screened theatrically on Tuesday night. Super excited doesn't begin to describe how I feel about that.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next