Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Official Questions For Rob Holloway Thread 
Post Re: Official Questions For Rob Holloway Thread
TunaFanForever wrote:
Rob-I have a question for you...

When I surfed rec.arts.movies.current-films in the 90's, there was a Robert Holloway who posted there every now and then in the late 90's. Was that you?

Hi there Tuna Fan Forever

I used to be involved in usenet and made many posts.

I'm not sure where, as it was a long time ago.

So in answer to your question - maybe :-)

Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi there Tuna Fan Forever

I used to be involved in usenet and made many posts.

I'm not sure where, as it was a long time ago.

So in answer to your question - maybe :-)

Rob

Once upon a time ago, usenet was an excellent source for communities of all interests to get together and have alot of very rational discussions...UNTIL...

Since the '00 election, all the political trolls slowly but surely hijacked most of those non-political ngs and started shoving their garbage down everyone's throats. Too bad usenet isn't moderated.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:46 am
ive got 2 questions for you mate.

1) is that kid really you in the picture? when is it from?

2) why do you use the most disgusting word in the english language - "sawker"?????? the americans using it, i get. they're born into it. but a brit?? and dont say its to avoid confusion.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:38 am
I would like to ask Rob if he has the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am
aameen wrote:

2) why do you use the most disgusting word in the english language - "sawker"?????? the americans using it, i get. they're born into it. but a brit?? and dont say its to avoid confusion.

Number one's already been answered, it is him from 1963

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 am
aameen wrote:

May I be a smartass and point out, that the term "soccer" is originally British? It's an abbreviation of "association football" originating from British public schools just as "rugger" stands for "rugby football". Nevermind.

I have a question for Rob as an enthusiast for Hammer horror films. Recently, I saw a 1960ies "Dr. Fu Manchu"-Film on TV (well, some of it). From the look of it, I would've thought it was a Hammer studios production and it also featured Christopher Lee. However, most of the actors were actually German. Was there a collaboration between Hammer studios and some German producers or did Hammer studios tailor films for the German market?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:22 pm
Unke wrote:
May I be a smartass and point out, that the term "soccer" is originally British? It's an abbreviation of "association football" originating from British public schools just as "rugger" stands for "rugby football". Nevermind.

well, you just made me look like a thorough idiot, didn't you? eh.. i feel like one too.
teaches me to think before i type. HA! :oops:

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:04 pm
aameen wrote:
Unke wrote:

well, you just made me look like a thorough idiot, didn't you? eh.. i feel like one too.

Sorry, aameen, I didn't mean to cause any embaressment. I actually heard this fact (hope it's true), when I tried to argue (for arguing's sake) that (soccer) football should be called "football" rather than American football, because American football is mostly played with the hands. Now that made me look like an idiot!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:55 pm
Unke wrote:
aameen wrote:
Unke wrote:

Sorry, aameen, I didn't mean to cause any embaressment. I actually heard this fact (hope it's true), when I tried to argue (for arguing's sake) that (soccer) football should be called "football" rather than American football, because American football is mostly played with the hands. Now that made me look like an idiot!

no that makes you a good debater. not letting honest opinions come in the way of a good discussion.

and no problem actually, as i was kinda joking too, cuz now that i think of it i think my original argument stands because i dont think etymology has got anything to do with what the word is now and how its used. so your first post is idiotic. and i think im an idiot for posting the original "idiot" sentence.

just kidding, oliver.

or am i??
haha. all in good fun.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm
aameen wrote:

Hi Aamen

It was me from the early sixties. I was fortunate that my mother and family collected photographs and I was able to get my hands on them and scan them at hi res. There is something rather wonderful about photos of your family dating back to 1900 and 1910.

I don't normally use the word soccer. However, it is actually the correct word. When I was at private school in the sixties we had association football and rugby football. They were both abbreviated and this one was soccer.

It is a little frustrating that it's called soccer over in the US. However, I've lived in california for 13 years and had time to get over this. there are worse things to deal with :-) The reality is that if I tell someone I was watching football on the TV they will naturally think it is of the gridiron variety.

Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:49 pm
you are quite a gracious man, robert. seriously, its admirable.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I would like to ask Rob if he has the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything?

Hi Ed

This is a simple question with a more complex answer that needs to be in multiple parts to match your question.

The meaning of life
I can answer this from two points - as it's movie forum it has been dealt with extremely accurately by Monty Python in their seminal study from 1983. This added to the philosophical genius of the closing song of Life of Brian. If in doubt about this try the true answer which is 42.

Personally this is also very simple - the meaning of life is to eliminate suffering and find true happiness. That is harder to achieve than it may seem upon first reading.

The Universe
I am a creationist. But not like you may immediately think. I have read Stephen Hawking's great book several times and tried to go deeper but with difficulty. The simple answer is that I don't know - yet. But I have an email into Keanununu

Everything
Back to 42 I'm afraid :-)
or was it 23

Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:10 pm
Unke wrote:
aameen wrote:

I have a question for Rob as an enthusiast for Hammer horror films. Recently, I saw a 1960ies "Dr. Fu Manchu"-Film on TV (well, some of it). From the look of it, I would've thought it was a Hammer studios production and it also featured Christopher Lee. However, most of the actors were actually German. Was there a collaboration between Hammer studios and some German producers or did Hammer studios tailor films for the German market?

Ooops I missed this next comment, so my earlier answer is redundant. I remember well as a young boy talking about soccer and rugger. Very British I'm afraid :-)

Fu manchu - I sometimes think that Christopher Lee has played every character in history :-). According to my book on Hammer films, Fu manchu was not a Hammer production. That said, the film was made in the late sixties and by them there were a host of companies imitating Hammer and using their talent.

Hammer did have a collaboration with Shaw Brothers in Honk Kong. I'm not aware of anything with Germany. The Carreras family who started Hammer were actually of Spanish descent!

Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 pm
aameen wrote:

teaches me to think before i type. HA! :oops:[/quote][/quote]

Nobody is looking like an idiot here.
I have that skill all to myself :-)
Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 pm
aameen wrote:
you are quite a gracious man, robert. seriously, its admirable.

Much graciousness on this forum. Quite unusual on this interweb thingamajig :-)
it is actually you who deserve the plaudits!
Rob

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:30 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Everything
or was it 23

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob, you sound like a pretty deep lad.

If you're a Hitchhiker's Guide fan then 42 sounds about right. ;)

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Everything
or was it 23

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob, you sound like a pretty deep lad.

If you're a Hitchhiker's Guide fan then 42 sounds about right. ;)

Lad, laddie?

What have we here, laddie? Mysterious scribblings? A secret code? No! Poems, no less! Poems, everybody!

The laddie reckons himself a poet!

Rob

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm
Fine, if the well is dry, is it up to threadmaker to fill it back up again :ugeek:

Michael Caine, Terence Stamp, Kenneth Branagh and Richard Burton (raised from the dead) enter a steel cage. Only one may leave.

Who lives?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:34 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Michael Caine, Terence Stamp, Kenneth Branagh and Richard Burton (raised from the dead) enter a steel cage. Only one may leave.

Who lives?

I know this question isn't for me, but hopefully Rob won't mind if I throw in my two cents.

This question intrigues me, because three out of four of these guys are decidedly timid dudes. Burton is the exception, but he's not really violent, just crazy, talented, bisexual, angry, smoked for 50 years (!), and just was never really totally together. Since you are raising him from the dead, does everyone get to be in their physical prime? Or everyone at their current age, and Burton at his oldest?

I suppose it doesn't matter -- Burton takes this easily. He's the toughest in the most pure sense (Stamp has the look but is actually a pretty chill guy). Plus, Burton had no fear of death -- which is the essential quality for something like this, right?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am
Rob,

What do you think of Scientology?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:39 pm