Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Official Questions For Rob Holloway Thread 
Post Official Questions For Rob Holloway Thread
No, really.

I say we could all benefit from picking this man's brain for wisdom.

If I may, I would like to start: what was the film that got you started on, well, film?

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 pm
Post Re: Official Questions For Rob Holloway Thread
I'm trying to clear the clutter of this thread and I seem to be unable to delete the second Evenflow post...sorry.

But I do have a question for Rob: Why do you sign your posts?

EDIT: Looks like the clutter's been cleared...ignore the first sentence now.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm
Got any good BBQ recipes?

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
No, really.

I say we could all benefit from picking this man's brain for wisdom.

If I may, I would like to start: what was the film that got you started on, well, film?

Hi Evanflow8112

I'm a little embarrassed by this as I don't think that there is that much in here.

But I'll give it a shot.

I think the best way to describe my early film life was confused. I doubt that many of us can really remember the first film that got us into this terrible addiction. i can more remember types of film and occasional moments.

Every Saturday morning my parents would drop me off at the cinema for the film club. This involved a hundred or so screaming kids, cartoons (my love of animation) and cliff hanger serials. There was always something vaguely science fiction, but it's hard to be too specific from 45 years ago. I remember being in awe of these visits.

I say confused because I was brought up on a diet of Hammer Horror and Fred Astaire. I am 50 years old and British. When I was a kid the BBC showed endless Fred Astaire movies and I simply loved them. I don't know why, but he was so graceful and the music was lovely and the dancing was nice and there was a pretty girl and... that was probably the level of my understanding. I stared at the screen in wonder. My girlfriend is convinced that there is a feminine side lurking in here!

My love of film really kicked in with Hammer Horror. If I had been good, I was allowed to stay up on a Friday night and watch the horror movie. I think I was about 8 or 9 years old. My first memory was The Mummy which featured Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Then there was Dracula (Horror of Dracula over here). They even worked their way through the entire Frankenstein saga. A few months later the local librarian was surprised when a snotty little boy asked her if she had any books on horror movies. I discovered a film year book that showed all the horror movies and I started to write them down. I bought a pile of 5x3 record cards and started to write down every film I'd seen. A few years later I thought I had the definitive guide to all things Hammer. I have seen every Hammer horror movie ever made and just about every other film from that studio as well. I've been recording films I have seen for far too many years. Sad moment - as a teenager I thought I was cool and decided to chuck those record cards away. I really regret that.

My first film at the theater was a double bill of Goldfinger and Dr.No. How a 5/6 year old sat through over 4 hours of movies is quite beyond me. My vivid memory was that hellish fire breathing dragon creature from Dr.No. I was terrified.

So I admit it, I'm screwed up - but aren't we all?
Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:16 pm
Patrick wrote:

Same reason I use my real name. If I am not prepared to say it you personally I wouldn't write it here. It's a courtesy thing.

I guess that I see posts as little hand written letters.
I'd sign those :-)

Is it not considered forum etiquette - I dunno?

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm
Talisker wrote:
Got any good BBQ recipes?

Tee hee - I was a veggie for 12 years
My girlfriend is a foodie and I'm now her sous-chef

Go see the following - you'll learn far more :-)

Babette's Feast
Mostly Martha
Tampopo
Ratatouille

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:25 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Same reason I use my real name. If I am not prepared to say it you personally I wouldn't write it here. It's a courtesy thing.

I guess that I see posts as little hand written letters.
I'd sign those :-)

Is it not considered forum etiquette - I dunno?

Rob

It's a pet peeve of mine, we know who you are. Why are you reminding us!

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:29 pm
We all have our pet peeves, but to be frank, I think it just displays how much more attention goes into his posts than the average poster, who occasionally won't even specify what they're posting about or are content to be entirely impersonal and rely on the anonymity of the internet to get away with thier acidic barbs.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm
Hi there,

I'm sorry you have a pet peeve about the way I sign my posts. I guess this answers my original question and that it is most definitely not Forum Etiquette to sign your your message with your name.

I personally find that a little sad. But if it's irritating you. I'll stop.

Maybe I should rename myself "Costello" and start again?

Nah... :-)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:18 pm
Rob,

I actually don't mind that you sign your post. That, combined with your post count, is what got me familiar with your presence. It definitely isn't forum etiquette, but it made you stand out. You were (and are) probably the first one I could name who frequented the forums a lot. So I say keep doing it!

I do have a question (and maybe it's been answered before, though not in this thread). Is that a picture of you or your kid in your profile picture?

Pedro

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm
Ain't nothing wrong with signing your posts. I don't generally do it myself, but it's a nice personal touch.

Patrick

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:35 pm
Pedro wrote:
Rob,

I actually don't mind that you sign your post. That, combined with your post count, is what got me familiar with your presence. It definitely isn't forum etiquette, but it made you stand out. You were (and are) probably the first one I could name who frequented the forums a lot. So I say keep doing it!

I do have a question (and maybe it's been answered before, though not in this thread). Is that a picture of you or your kid in your profile picture?

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Thanks, I appreciate the comment from the guy with the coolest signature on the forum.

I am a keen photographer and took the trouble to scan all the images of my family I could find going right back to the early part of the last century. It's a treasure trove and now the family really enjoy it. The shot is me at 5 in 1963 - nasty little creep that I was. I try and use personal shots on forums as I think it brings people to life more than shots of movie stars etc.

I realize that at the moment I have the most posts. I'm looking forward to someone going past my total. I am a bit embarrassed by this thread though. I think we have a great forum with many very smart people on here with great opinions. Sort of a tribute to James really. It's good to have a place for some interesting discussion on a topic we all love. I hope we can have lively civilized discussions about stuff we care about. I think we will all learn a lot from this group of fans.

I'm going back to my name. The hell with it :-)
Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm
Yeah Rob, maybe you should stop posting for a couple days and let me be #1 :lol:

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:23 pm
Let alone me. XD You guys would need to stop posting for a week or two lol.

I don't really think you look like a nasty little creep at the age of five, though maybe that's because I looked somewhat similar at that age. XD I have to admit: I was cute at that age. It's all gone now, but I was cute then!

I might change my signature soon, to my top 11-20. I'd have to edit my entire top 100 because it's been some time since I last looked at it. It's devoid of The Dark Knight, to give you an idea of when I last worked on it. XD I'm almost like James, who updates once a year.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Good man! :)

Pedro

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:27 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sort of a tribute to James really. It's good to have a place for some interesting discussion on a topic we all love. I hope we can have lively civilized discussions about stuff we care about. I think we will all learn a lot from this group of fans.

Rob

Good for you Rob!

Cheers,

Wade

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 am
Commodorefirst wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sort of a tribute to James really. It's good to have a place for some interesting discussion on a topic we all love. I hope we can have lively civilized discussions about stuff we care about. I think we will all learn a lot from this group of fans.

Rob

Good for you Rob!

Cheers,

Wade

Thanks Wade

As fellow enthusiastic photographers....

I saw one great film about photography this year. It was called War Photographer. A documentary about the legendary James Nachtwey who dodges bullets to take breath taking images. I've seen other great photographical based movies. I'd start with Born Into Brothels. A film where Indian kids are handed cameras to document their days. And finally BlowUp.

Any thoughts?
Rob

PS - I'll be out with my 300 f2.8L IS tomorrow - heaven :-)

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 am
Rob,

I did see Brothels, a great film/documentary, didn't know about War Photographer. Blow up, Antonin?sp? I think? from your side of the lake? I saw in college, and don't remember a thing. need to watch again. Need to search this too!

I was out yesterday evening for a few hours, with my big guns, (heaven sent 500 f4 VR and 200-400 f4 VR) and I am contemplating a long haul to take a pic of a snowy owl on Saturday,

Of course there is One hour Photo and Memento in a way. City of God too!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:30 pm
Commodorefirst wrote:
Rob,

I did see Brothels, a great film/documentary, didn't know about War Photographer. Blow up, Antonin?sp? I think? from your side of the lake? I saw in college, and don't remember a thing. need to watch again. Need to search this too!

I was out yesterday evening for a few hours, with my big guns, (heaven sent 500 f4 VR and 200-400 f4 VR) and I am contemplating a long haul to take a pic of a snowy owl on Saturday,

Of course there is One hour Photo and Memento in a way. City of God too!

You owe it to yourself to see War Photographer. This guy is simply amazing!

Blow Up is with David Hemmings and was directed by.... Antonioni
Photo shoots in studios in the sixties !

Off topic

I don't do birds (don't have the canon 500/4) . So for sports I use a 300/2.8L IS. the Canon 1.4TC works seemlessly with it and creates dreamy bokeh at 420/4. I run a website for my kids baseball team and the parents love it :-)

Rob

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:36 pm
Rob-I have a question for you...

When I surfed rec.arts.movies.current-films in the 90's, there was a Robert Holloway who posted there every now and then in the late 90's. Was that you?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:25 am