Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Blu-Ray...worth the fuss? 
Post Re: Blu-Ray...worth the fuss?
Blu Ray is worth it but its not as good as the ads make it out to be.

Some movies look a lot better than their DVD counterparts. However these movies usually have bad DVD transfers to begin with. The Dark Knight is an example.

Some movies look slightly better and sharper, but not a million times better.

And some movies, usually when the DVD already had a great transfer to begin with, there is no difference at all. I tried the Blu Ray of I,Robot and the DVD on a different component and switched between them. They look pretty much the same. Batman Begins was another example.

Not to mention audio quality, no difference at all.

Blu Ray is better but its not as good as the ads make it seem. The ads make it seem Blu ray is amazingly better and DVD's are all blurry and crappy. Not true.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm
No. I've seen Blu Ray and could not tell a difference between it and DVD, and I say you have to play the XBOX in high definition. Stick with standerd DVD.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:39 pm
I have a 32" LCD and I can instantly tell the difference between standard DVD and Blu-ray. Movies like Wanted, The Prestige, and Transformers look astounding. That said, its all about the transfer. I was incredibly disappointed in the transfer for Layer Cake on Blu-ray. It looks identical to the DVD and I could have saved myself 10 bucks. The grain filter on 28 Days later is also kind of annoying, especially when they take it off towards the end of the movie and you actually see how good the movie looks without it.

Luckily for me I didn't start buying movies until 2 years ago when Blu-ray was just getting kick started so all of the movies I have I've bought on blu-ray, except for the few that released on HD DVD and haven't been released on Blu-ray yet (looking at Atonement and Pride & Prejudice, which I bought standard versions of). I always look out for sales and such. Amazon is my best friend when it comes to buying Blu-ray movies. They are always cheaper than places like Wal-Mart and Best Buy. I normally buy from sellers on there instead of Amazon and out of about 30 transactions only one has ended in me getting a refund. I normally spend 15-19 bucks on a Blu-ray movie, which is a great price.

All this said though, I rent my movies from my local library and they don't carry Blu-ray like other places do, so all the movies I rent are standard DVD's. They still look very good. I use Netflix for my Blu-ray renting (the increased pricing is really annoying though).

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 pm
millinniummany3k wrote:
No. I've seen Blu Ray and could not tell a difference between it and DVD, and I say you have to play the XBOX in high definition. Stick with standerd DVD.

I have seen Blu ray in multiple locations and I think the size of the benefit directly relates to the size of your screen.

I have a PS# feeding into an HDMI switcher that enables me to feed signal to multiple displays.

On a 24" Dell monitor the Blu Ray looks good close up, but at normal room viewing distances it's of dubious benefit

On my sons 32' LCD screen it's slightly improved towards Blu ray, but still not a a huge difference. he certainly does not care.

On our 120" projection setup in 1080p it's no contest

If you are at 50" and beyond you'll see a huge difference at normal viewing distances (not pixel peeping with your face 12" from the screen), under 50' it's an upgrade but not critical.

Rob

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 pm