Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 pm

College Football!!! 
Post Re: College Football!!!
I still watch my alma mater's games with some interest but they've never been a particularly solid team. They're part of Conference USA's west division but that is a recent switch; they were WAC in my time and that's when I watched them lose so many of their games. We were better at College Baseball!!! but that's for another thread.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 pm
My alma mater is Ohio State. I was there for the dual embarrassments of Florida and LSU.

The SEC has obviously put the Big Ten to shame recently (Ohio State in particular). In 2006, I think Ohio State was a much better team than we showed in the championship game. I'm not saying we were better than Florida, but I think we got caught up in our own hype and believed we'd roll them. The fear on campus was getting a rematch with Michigan, because we believed they were the better team. I think there was a lot of arrogance and disbelief that Florida was good enough to be there. That turned out well.

Ohio State deserves a little defense for the 2007 championship. There was no reason for us to be in that game. We all believed that to be a rebuilding year, and we basically backed into the title game via the absurdity of the BCS system. (I don't care how much the Big Ten benefits from the BCS; it sucks, and it makes college football less interesting. We lost to unranked Illinois - at home - in the second-to-last game!)

As for this year, we're #2 and have a de facto bid to the championship game if we go undefeated, and there's a solid chance we will. I certainly fear another blowout if the game ends up being Alabama vs. Ohio State, but I believe it would be a better game than either 2006 or 2007. I wouldn't mind someone taking out Alabama. But it has also become precedent in recent years that the SEC champion has a de facto bid to the championship game, as well, and one loss obviously doesn't rule a team out anymore.

As for Boise State, I am curious what people think (although the argument changes somewhat now that Oregon has jumped over them to #3). How would poll voters approach the situation if, at year's end, Boise State is the only unbeaten team in the championship discussion? As I've indicated, I believe the SEC champion is in, regardless of other factors. But for the other spot, I'm not sure. Would a 12-0 Boise State supplant an 11-1 Ohio State? And what about an 11-1 Oregon? I have a feeling that, until something drastic in the BCS changes, voters will always pick a team from a BCS conference over a team from a non-BCS conference if there is any argument to be made for it. I believe Boise State's high ranking in the polls is mainly an illusion. They need catastrophic events to reach the championship game.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. I will wait to see if I receive Ohio State scorn.. it wouldn't be the first time.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:14 pm
alexvanv wrote:
My alma mater is Ohio State. I was there for the dual embarrassments of Florida and LSU.

The SEC has obviously put the Big Ten to shame recently (Ohio State in particular). In 2006, I think Ohio State was a much better team than we showed in the championship game. I'm not saying we were better than Florida, but I think we got caught up in our own hype and believed we'd roll them. The fear on campus was getting a rematch with Michigan, because we believed they were the better team. I think there was a lot of arrogance and disbelief that Florida was good enough to be there. That turned out well.

Ohio State deserves a little defense for the 2007 championship. There was no reason for us to be in that game. We all believed that to be a rebuilding year, and we basically backed into the title game via the absurdity of the BCS system. (I don't care how much the Big Ten benefits from the BCS; it sucks, and it makes college football less interesting. We lost to unranked Illinois - at home - in the second-to-last game!)

As for this year, we're #2 and have a de facto bid to the championship game if we go undefeated, and there's a solid chance we will. I certainly fear another blowout if the game ends up being Alabama vs. Ohio State, but I believe it would be a better game than either 2006 or 2007. I wouldn't mind someone taking out Alabama. But it has also become precedent in recent years that the SEC champion has a de facto bid to the championship game, as well, and one loss obviously doesn't rule a team out anymore.

As for Boise State, I am curious what people think (although the argument changes somewhat now that Oregon has jumped over them to #3). How would poll voters approach the situation if, at year's end, Boise State is the only unbeaten team in the championship discussion? As I've indicated, I believe the SEC champion is in, regardless of other factors. But for the other spot, I'm not sure. Would a 12-0 Boise State supplant an 11-1 Ohio State? And what about an 11-1 Oregon? I have a feeling that, until something drastic in the BCS changes, voters will always pick a team from a BCS conference over a team from a non-BCS conference if there is any argument to be made for it. I believe Boise State's high ranking in the polls is mainly an illusion. They need catastrophic events to reach the championship game.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. I will wait to see if I receive Ohio State scorn.. it wouldn't be the first time.

Ohio State, the quintessential I'm always the best football team, huh?!?! Nah, I'm joking, that has been Alabama of late..BUT....No More!!! Thank you South Carolina.

Anyway, Terrelle Pryor is a beast; he and my quarterback Cam Newton actually compare pretty well. As for the rest of the the conferences, this year could get extremely nasty. I think Oregon doesn't lose a game all the way to the national championship. Ohio State is looking strong right now, though they still have to play Penn St., Michigan, and one more decent opponent. They could be ranked very high at season's end.

Now that Alabama has one loss, it is going to be difficult for them to make the big show, even if they remain undefeated. Now, LSU and Auburn, could still go undefeated in the SEC, but that is a BIG "COULD STILL." They each have some rough games in the coming weeks. The Big 12 also looks like it could have a contender in Oklahoma or Nebraska as well.

As far as Boise St. and TCU, for that matter, being from not BCS conferences, I don't think that matters this year. They are media darlings, and if they are the only two teams left that are undefeated, I think they play for the Trophy. They will not be jumped by a one loss team. (EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE SUCKS AND THEY DEFINITELY SHOULD BE JUMPED, BY EVEN A TWO LOSS MAJOR CONFERENCE CHAMPION)

The ACC is way down this year, but FSU did look mighty good this weekend.

Now Imagine this scenario and tell me what happens, because I can't see a solution...(other than some teams get screwed and the BCS is finally changed to a playoff system next year!):

What happens when Oregon, Oklahoma or Nebraska, Ohio State (or Michigan St.), Boise St., TCU, and an SEC team all go undefeated. I mean seriously, this year is that actual dreaded scenario that every BCS guy has feared and every playoff guy has been waiting to see happen. If it will ever happen, this is the year.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:33 pm
Director

I'm an Ohio State fan as well, and am watching this season with subdued anticipation. With the exception of Miami (FL), their schedule was front loaded with weaker teams (Ohio/Indiana/Illinois) and now we hit the meat of the year. At Wisconsin during prime time is the first real step towrads a national title. They also finish up with Iowa on the road and Michigan at home. There's still a long way to go, but that goes for every team, especially in the SEC where everyone beats each other up. I love this game, minus the BCS.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 am
I will be an ASU graduate in the very near future. With that said, I have never attended a college football game during my four and a half years on campus (I went to one in my early years of high school). However, I usually tune in to the games when they're on TV. To be honest, I've never been one to show tremendous amounts of school spirit. ASU's football team has been awful for the last several years now, but I have a hard time working up the effort to care. Currently we have a formerly great head coach in Dennis Erickson who now only cares about his big paycheck. It's hurting our team, and after this year, in which the Sun Devils are on their way to another sub-.500 season, there's going to be some new blood in the organization.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm
It looks my team Auburn is becoming the most hated team in America right now.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:00 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

With good reason.

It's unfathomable that Newton's being allowed to play -- especially in light of what happened with Reggie Bush. I don't think Newton is a bad kid, but this should be the clearest example of a situation that forces the NCAA to rule someone ineligible. By handling it this way, the NCAA is essentially saying that it's fine to sell a kid to a University as long as the kid (allegedly) doesn't know about it.

On another topic...can Ohio State really claim the "Big Conference!" argument when their strength of schedule is virtually the same as Boise's and TCU's?

Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 am
Shade wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

With good reason.

It's unfathomable that Newton's being allowed to play -- especially in light of what happened with Reggie Bush. I don't think Newton is a bad kid, but this should be the clearest example of a situation that forces the NCAA to rule someone ineligible. By handling it this way, the NCAA is essentially saying that it's fine to sell a kid to a University as long as the kid (allegedly) doesn't know about it.

On another topic...can Ohio State really claim the "Big Conference!" argument when their strength of schedule is virtually the same as Boise's and TCU's?

This is not like Reggie Bush. Evidence was found that his family actually took money. There is absolutely no evidence that Cam or his dad took money for him to play at Auburn. There was evidence that Cam was shopped to Miss. St., buuuttt he didn't play at Miss. st. did he? He decided to come to Auburn. Oh, let's not forget about the Heisman he just won either!!

Anyway, this has been one hell of a season, and since I have been at every game this year, there is no way in hell I'm not going to be in Glendale on Jan. 10, to watch my team try for it's 1st BCS National Championship, and second national championship since 1957!!!!!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:48 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

College football seems to become a monster that needs to be put on a leash. Colleges can't seem to function without a good college football team. My college football team is UVA. UVA football will always suck. Every so often they will pull out a good year. They claim to recruit the best in virginia. But the best in virginia isn't the best nation wide. Also UVA is only good at baseball, soccer, lacrosse, swimming.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm
Assistant Director

Big_Mike wrote:
Colleges can't seem to function without a good college football team.

If you like, I can come up with a list of schools that function perfectly well without a good college football team.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

If you like, I can come up with a list of schools that function perfectly well without a good college football team.

Name them. Because you can't.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 am
Director

Big_Mike wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

I go to a school that has a so-so team (we haven't been to a bowl game in decades), and we function very well.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:11 pm
Assistant Director

Big_Mike wrote:
Mark III wrote:
Big_Mike wrote:

Oh come on. I don't really believe that you really believe that. There are how many dozens (and more) schools that don't have football teams placed front and center? Case Western, University of Chicago, Washington University... they have teams but they're not exactly tearing it up like they're Big 12. That's three. And there schools that function perfectly well without any football team whatsoever: Boston University, Swarthmore, Hofstra and on and so forth. What about those little satellite state schools, even? The University of Missouri might bring to mind the Tigers but what about their campuses in St. Louis and elsewhere?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:49 am