Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Asshole! 
Post Re: Asshole!
Ken wrote:
(In fact, The Day After Tomorrow compounds the felony by taking something that's actually a valid concern--climate change due to human activity--and heavily inflates the implausible doomsday scenarios while giving absolutely zero time to the plausible, scientific side.

Oh, but The Day After Tomorrow was one of the only Emmerich films I've liked since I turned 15 :(

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:50 am
Ken wrote:
And it's yet another thing to systematically do so, time after time, movie after movie. The synopses for his movies read almost as though he chose from a list of bunk scenarios that somehow manage to cling to our popular discourse in spite of having no merit at all.

You're absolutely correct if by "time after time, movie after movie" you meant all of two movies. I'd be with you if you said that he likes to blow up the White House but I don't exactly see the same trend as you do in his filmography.

Thing is, I don't particularly like Roland Emmerich. His best films are little better than average. His bad films (like 10,000 BC) count among the worst I've seen. However, I do think that movies like Stargate and, yes, both The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 have their charms. The last two made me laugh. Perhaps that wasn't intentional (I'm not so sure) but that doesn't matter. All meet my minimum requirement for fun.

I feel a little dirty defending the guy, but am still convinced that he's better than the directors he's often compared to.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 am
Yeah, and at least Emmerich doesn't have a massive ego like Shyamalan does.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
You're absolutely correct if by "time after time, movie after movie" you meant all of two movies. I'd be with you if you said that he likes to blow up the White House but I don't exactly see the same trend as you do in his filmography.
There's nothing wrong with incorporating elements of fear into a fictional story, but Emmerich has made at least three (that I can think of) that directly pander to the kinds of things I've been talking about. These are films that have no other merit than the sensationalistic claims that lie at their core. Three multimillion dollar budgets, three multimillion dollar ad campaigns, three powerfully marketed opportunities for the public to see A-list stars embroiled in fringe science and paranormal-type scenarios. Never forget that countless real people subscribe to those scenarios, and that there are countless more whose minds are open but don't have the tools to effectively ferret out what is plausible from what isn't. Many of those people are seeing those movies and, if the research is any indication, having their beliefs subconsciously reinforced.

I think that movies can legitimately be made about most any subject, but that doesn't mean that artists and entertainers are exempt from a certain level of social responsibility for their work. Repeatedly damaging the public's ability to make sense of all the bullshit that gets pumped at them day by day is immoral. It's no more okay when Emmerich does it than when political thugs like Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly do it. If they're assholes for doing what they do, then so is Emmerich.

And while he might be a more technically proficient director than his fellow schlockmeisters, that's damning with faint praise. Being at the higher end of mediocrity is still mediocrity.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:54 pm
Ken wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
There's nothing wrong with incorporating elements of fear into a fictional story, but Emmerich has made at least three (that I can think of) that directly pander to the kinds of things I've been talking about. These are films that have no other merit than the sensationalistic claims that lie at their core. Three multimillion dollar budgets, three multimillion dollar ad campaigns, three powerfully marketed opportunities for the public to see A-list stars embroiled in fringe science and paranormal-type scenarios. Never forget that countless real people subscribe to those scenarios, and that there are countless more whose minds are open but don't have the tools to effectively ferret out what is plausible from what isn't. Many of those people are seeing those movies and, if the research is any indication, having their beliefs subconsciously reinforced.

I think that movies can legitimately be made about most any subject, but that doesn't mean that artists and entertainers are exempt from a certain level of social responsibility for their work. Repeatedly damaging the public's ability to make sense of all the bullshit that gets pumped at them day by day is immoral. It's no more okay when Emmerich does it than when political thugs like Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly do it. If they're assholes for doing what they do, then so is Emmerich.

And while he might be a more technically proficient director than his fellow schlockmeisters, that's damning with faint praise. Being at the higher end of mediocrity is still mediocrity.

I think at this point we're just spinning the wheels. Neither of us seems inclined to share the other opinion. I'm genuinely curious as to what you're counting as the third film though. 2012 and The Day After Tomorrow are obviously two. What's the other? Independence Day? If so, that's not really fair and a case could be made that others such as Steven Spielberg are guilty of the same.

Emmerich's Filmography:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 am
Can't forget the asshole with the moustache, Geraldo Rivera.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:01 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Can't forget the asshole with the moustache, Geraldo Rivera.

Do you think he'd be less of an asshole if he shaved his moustache?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 am
Just in time for the upcoming midterm elections...

Michael Savage, in "journalism"

Horrible Carly Fiorina and her spooky anti-environment stance. Like so many in the backward Republican klan, she uses the talking points of "social progress" by phoning in a candidacy from the Dust Bowl. A true symbol if there ever was that the GOP is currently pimping 0 new ideas while falling back on the standard national security and "ridiculous deficit" threat.

And, in a less-than-side note, this November deserves to have some betting -- the fearful sweep of a '94 GOP isn't going to happen.

EDIT:

This was not posted to anger anyone. Truly. I don't believe all Republicans are assholes (although the ones that get voted into office always seem to be -- not that the Dems are worlds superior) and I don't believe that voting Republican is tantamount to signing up with the KKK. I dislike, greatly, the talking points the GOP have been using but believe that the public will do the correct thing come November and only seat a few more GOPers rather than take over the senate and house. Either way, the forum isn't really the best place to yack politics and so will leave it to better people than myself to keep it on the subject of movies.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
Just in time for the upcoming midterm elections...

Michael Savage, in "journalism"

Horrible Carly Fiorina and her spooky anti-environment stance. Like so many in the backward Republican klan, she uses the talking points of "social progress" by phoning in a candidacy from the Dust Bowl. A true symbol if there ever was that the GOP is currently pimping 0 new ideas while falling back on the standard national security and "ridiculous deficit" threat.

And, in a less-than-side note, this November deserves to have some betting -- the fearful sweep of a '94 GOP isn't going to happen.

EDIT:

This was not posted to anger anyone. Truly. I don't believe all Republicans are assholes (although the ones that get voted into office always seem to be -- not that the Dems are worlds superior) and I don't believe that voting Republican is tantamount to signing up with the KKK. I dislike, greatly, the talking points the GOP have been using but believe that the public will do the correct thing come November and only seat a few more GOPers rather than take over the senate and house. Either way, the forum isn't really the best place to yack politics and so will leave it to better people than myself to keep it on the subject of movies.

The GOP will almost certainly take the House but there's probably only a 20% chance or so that they will gain control of the Senate (dismissing the possibility of a Democrat switching parties, which I think Ben Nelson could do).

Anyway, I say Lars von Trier. Along with being an obnoxious and ignorant person, his films are, more often than not, terrible. He's the definitive pseudo-intelligent blowhard.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Larry Ellison, for trying to kill Android :x

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Lindsay Lohan's father Michael, I could write an essay on how horrible of a person he is, just Google him and you'll see what I mean, with him for a father it's no wonder that Lindsay got into drugs(hell I woudn't be the least bit surprised if he was the one who introduced her to drugs in the first place!)hell if that cockscuker was my dad I probably would've done the same thing, or killed him.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 pm
Goatse.

Thats an asshole!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:25 pm
Oh, I can think of a few...

As previously mentioned, James Cameron. I won't argue that he's a damn good director, a good storyteller and a visual artist (Avatar floored me). But yes, he comes off as arrogant and egotistical.

Kanye West. An asshole. With a lot of money.

Sean Penn. Humourless asshole. Seriously, does this guy ever laugh? Again, nothing to do with his career cause he's a great actor, but, still... douche.

Andy Dick. Complete asshole and a waste of space.

Dave Mustaine. I'm a huge Megadeth fan, but yeah, he's another arrogant prick.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 am
Director

Nancy Grace

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:49 am
Profile YIM
I agree about Sean Penn, he makes me ashamed to be a liberal with the way he acts, also agree about West, another major asshole in the music biz is Axl Rose, calling him an egotistical prick is putting it lightly, can't say I care about him much though as I always found Guns N Roses pretty overrated.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:11 pm
Vexer wrote:
I agree about Sean Penn, he makes me ashamed to be a liberal with the way he acts, also agree about West, another major asshole in the music biz is Axl Rose, calling him an egotistical prick is putting it lightly, can't say I care about him much though as I always found Guns N Roses pretty overrated.

Agree completely. He's so awful and arrogant that the best we can hope for are people associating his politics with those of only Sean Penn, not the left. A total brat.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:16 pm
Just thought of someone else who's a major dick-Kirk Cameron, words cannot decribe how much of a dumbfuck he is, almost everything he says is an embarassament to religion in general. I got news for you Cameron, if anyone's gonna get "left behind" it's you! :twisted:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Just thought of someone else who's a major dick-Kirk Cameron, words cannot decribe how much of a dumbfuck he is, almost everything he says is an embarassament to religion in general. I got news for you Cameron, if anyone's gonna get "left behind" it's you! :twisted:

"Left Behind." :lol: Perfect. That movie was utter trash.
He and some weird Austraina guy is on some video taking about how the banana is the "Athiest's nightmare."

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile YIM
Vexer wrote:

How would you describe his namesake, James Cameron?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:

How would you describe his namesake, James Cameron?

Well there have been plenty of horror stories about how hard he worked the cast and crew of his films(Ed Harris refused to work with him ever again after Cameron nearly drowned him)

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next