Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Asshole! 
Post Re: Asshole!
mailedbypostman wrote:
Glenn Beck.

Agree,and add to that everyone involved with Fox news, so, once again, cruelly exposed tonight by Jon Stewart.

Rob

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:56 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
Glenn Beck.

Agree,and add to that everyone involved with Fox news, so, once again, cruelly exposed tonight by Jon Stewart.

Rob

...And everyone involved with MSNBC news. See how the partisan game is played with "blanket" statements?

I like John Stewart and I think he's very creative with what he does, but what I find disturbing is that a significant % of people "get their news" from The Daily Show as their only news source. It's not a news show; it's a commentary on the news for entertainment purposes. I similarly would be disappointed by people who only got their news solely from The O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, Hannity or Countdown. I only occasionally check in with these shows, but I try and get news from multiple and, if possible, independent sources. I'll watch Real Time With Bill Maher regularly, though I don't agree with him on much.

Sorry...back to the Assholes thread. Any/all leadership in Iran starting with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I like how they officially call themselves a "republic"...I don't think they know what the word means.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 am
To contribute to the range of descriptive words to apply to people mentioned in this thread, I submit IGNORANUS - Someone who is both stupid AND an asshole.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am
Roland Emmerich. His movies are pretty much exactly what you'd expect if Glenn Beck ever sat down in the director's chair.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm
James Cameron sounds like a real asshole as well, he's second only to Shyamalan in terms of his ego and his poor treatment of his actors digusts me, Ed Harris punched him in the face during the shoot for Abyss, cause Cameron apparently thought it would be an excellent idea to hold him underwater despite the fact that he was drowing!!! :evil:

Last edited by Vexer on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 pm
If we're going to talk about directors who are assholes, then Uwe Boll has to be added to this list. Just read about his antics and personality to see why.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 pm
Whats really disturbing about that asshole (Mahmoud Ahmadinejad) is the content of his speeches in Arabic, which so often go untranslated in American media. He basically ends every speech saying he would love nothing more than to do canonballs and jackknifes into pools of Jewish blood, and eradicate their DNA from the human gene pool. Just your average, everyday genocidal maniac.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
If we're going to talk about directors who are assholes, then Uwe Boll has to be added to this list. Just read about his antics and personality to see why.

True, but at least his antics are pretty funny for the most part, i've also heard similar complaints about Michael Bay, Bruce Willis and Kate Beckinsale both said they would never work with him again.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:55 pm
Ken wrote:
Roland Emmerich. His movies are pretty much exactly what you'd expect if Glenn Beck ever sat down in the director's chair.

Noooooooooo. I continue to insist that (unlike its contemporaries) the entity known as "Emmerich" is self-aware. It knows what it's doing. It can even be tongue in cheek. Messrs Bay, Ratner and G (first name "Mc") have no such claim.

Moovy1 wrote:
Whats really disturbing about that asshole (Mahmoud Ahmadinejad) is the content of his speeches in Arabic, which so often go untranslated in American media. He basically ends every speech saying he would love nothing more than to do canonballs and jackknifes into pools of Jewish blood, and eradicate their DNA from the human gene pool. Just your average, everyday genocidal maniac.

Mahmoud gets a lot of criticism but I think he feeds off of it. The single greatest shot that the US has ever fired against his regime is Andy Samberg's love song dedicated to him on SNL. I'm serious.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:35 pm
Whether Emmerich is self-aware or not is irrelevant to the mindset of paranoia and credulity that his movies foster. Perhaps Glenn Beck is self-aware. So what?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:33 pm
Ken wrote:
Whether Emmerich is self-aware or not is irrelevant to the mindset of paranoia and credulity that his movies foster. Perhaps Glenn Beck is self-aware. So what?

In order for Glenn to be self-aware, he would need to be thinking in the first place.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Be careful what you read. My girlfriends friend is married to Uwe. He s not mad at all. In fact hes a very smart business man.
Rob

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:20 am
Ken wrote:

I don't know how to say this without sounding like an asshole, but since that's the thread's topic I might as well go ahead: any member of the population who becomes paranoid after seeing a Roland Emmerich film needs to be slapped. To borrow your lingo, so what if he makes apocalyptic films? I too like to speculate about possible end of world scenarios and don't mind seeing a film where someone presents his. Are they believable? Not particularly. However, I continue to maintain that a few of his films meet the minimum requirements for entertainment and as such he is a bit better than the directors to whom he his often compared.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Be careful what you read. My girlfriends friend is married to Uwe. He s not mad at all. In fact hes a very smart business man.
Rob

Hitler was a savvy businessman! :P

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:27 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I don't know how to say this without sounding like an asshole, but since that's the thread's topic I might as well go ahead: any member of the population who becomes paranoid after seeing a Roland Emmerich film needs to be slapped. To borrow your lingo, so what if he makes apocalyptic films? I too like to speculate about possible end of world scenarios and don't mind seeing a film where someone presents his. Are they believable? Not particularly. However, I continue to maintain that a few of his films meet the minimum requirements for entertainment and as such he is a bit better than the directors to whom he his often compared.
You suggest that the entire human race needs to be slapped, and you might be right.

Widespread public belief in specific types of the paranormal/the supernatural/conspiracy theories directly correlate with portrayals of such things in popular media--specifically, in this case, movies. For example, when alien invasion movies became popular in the 1950s as an oblique reaction to the Red Scare, UFO sightings skyrocketed. When the trend in movies died down, so did the popular belief in UFO visitations. This is a documented psychological phenomenon, and it doesn't mean that people are stupid. Just highly suggestible. Once you introduce an idea, even in the guise of fiction, it becomes extremely difficult to get rid of. You also see this in political smear campaigns and various other rhetorical situations.

Roland Emmerich stands apart from his peers because the subject matter of most of his movies correspond almost perfectly which one form of these beliefs or another. It's one thing to do a generic story about the entirely plausible scenario of an asteroid headed into Earth's orbit. It's quite another to throw gasoline onto the fire of a very specific end-of-the-world theory--as in The Day After Tomorrow, for example. And it's yet another thing to systematically do so, time after time, movie after movie. The synopses for his movies read almost as though he chose from a list of bunk scenarios that somehow manage to cling to our popular discourse in spite of having no merit at all.

(In fact, The Day After Tomorrow compounds the felony by taking something that's actually a valid concern--climate change due to human activity--and heavily inflates the implausible doomsday scenarios while giving absolutely zero time to the plausible, scientific side.)

The ability for bunk information to spread is only increased as it spreads. In other words, once credulity is stoked, it becomes very hard to foster skepticism. Emmerich is Hollywood's lead stoker of credulity.

People often suggest that bad movies can make you dumber for having watched them. In the case of Roland Emmerich's movies, they're probably right.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:39 pm
That whole thing about bad movies making you dumber is complete bullsiht, it's pretty hard to take any of Emmerich's films remotely seriously, and most people I know don't buy the whole 2012 myth, if he wants to make stupid movies about the end of the world of whatever, that's fine by me, since the rleease of 2012 there hasn't been any reports of increased belief in the myth, at least not that I know of.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:43 pm
Director

The point they're making is that if a film introduces an idea that can be explored to give a sense of wonder and credibility. A movie uses it for bland, generic, and stupid action scenes that can be made of farce may ruin any chance for another film to descuss that topic. If it needs a $200 million dollar budget for the action scenes and not for the idea, then the film is nothing more than bullshit.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
The point they're making is that if a film introduces an idea that can be explored to give a sense of wonder and credibility. A movie uses it for bland, generic, and stupid action scenes that can be made of farce may ruin any chance for another film to descuss that topic. If it needs a $200 million dollar budget for the action scenes and not for the idea, then the film is nothing more than bullshit.

Oh yeah I agree with that and 2012 does look pretty bad, I was just saying that watching a film like 2012 dosen't automatically make you dumber.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:44 pm
I was being facetious with the line about movies making people dumber. The substance is in the rest of what I said.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:30 pm
Vexer wrote:
James Cameron sounds like a real asshole as well, he's second only to Shyamalan in terms of his ego and his poor treatment of his actors digusts me, Ed Harris punched him in the face during the shoot for Abyss, cause Cameron apparently thought it would be an excellent idea to hold him underwater despite the fact that he was drowing!!! :evil:

While I've never heard the story behind The Abyss going as far as Harris punching Cameron for holding him under water (sounds like an exaggeration of everything that did happen), Cameron is a director known for pushing his actors. He does have a large ego and he wants to make the best film he can; this personality trait has got actors like Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn and Sigourney Weaver to work with him repeatedly because they believe in his direction, it has also turned off actors like Harris and his co-star Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio who have vowed never to work with him again because they don't believe it was worth the personal stress. David Fincher has come under this attack as well, he also had to deal with endless and exhausting studio interference on Alien 3 and learned that if he was going to make the films he wanted then he was going to have to be persistent, egotistical and get it done his way; he's made some of the best modern films in recent years due to this. The Abyss was also one of the most stressful studio film productions ever made (it also happened to be a near-perfect movie, ending be damned!). If I was gonna pull documented proof on Cameron being an asshole, it would be his "I'm the king of the world" speech when he won Best Director and Picture for Titanic, which I'm guessing was simply a joke on his part that came across as all too egotistical.

johnny larue wrote:
Any/all leadership in Iran starting with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I like how they officially call themselves a "republic"...I don't think they know what the word means.

Amen.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next