Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:16 am

Asshole! 
Post Asshole!
I'm not posting pictures of anuses (ani?) so you can stop getting excited. Sometimes you read something and think "That person is an asshole". Feel free to list other assholes you can think of (though I think it'd be unwise to list people on this forum :) ).

My first nominee: Multi-billionaire Paul Allen.

Reason:

A firm owned by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has filed a lawsuit against Google, Apple, Facebook, and other companies alleging that they have violated patents related to search, multimedia, screen pop-ups and database management.

Interval Licensing filed the patent lawsuit Friday in U.S. District Court of the Western District of Washington. The companies named in the lawsuit are Aol, Apple, eBay, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, Yahoo and YouTube.

The patents covered by the lawsuit are:

-- U.S. Patent No. 6,263,507, for "Browser for Use in Navigating a Body of Information, With Particular Application to Browsing Information Represented By Audiovisual Data."

-- U.S. Patent No. 6,034,652, for "Attention Manager for Occupying the Peripheral Attention of a Person in the Vicinity of a Display Device."

-- U.S. Patent No. 6,788,314, for "Attention Manager for Occupying the Peripheral Attention of a Person in the Vicinity of a Display Device."

-- U.S. Patent No. 6,757,682, for "Alerting Users to Items of Current Interest."

Seriously? All those billions and you sue some of the biggest firms out there. This is doubly irritating for me because I'm mostly against software patents. Amazon has a patent for ordering something with one-click. Anyone care to explain how this is an original and patent-able thing. Look at the last patent. U.S. Patent No. 6,757,682, for "Alerting Users to Items of Current Interest. They gave a patent for that? Imho software patents should only given out in a few extreme cases or banned entirely. All they do is lead to lawsuits like this one. Ultimately it'll be the lawyers that get rich.

So, you have to be a real big asshole to sue all these companies. But if you have a personal wealth of 13.5 Billion then you're a giant asshole.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:27 pm
Post Re: Asshole!
I see what you are saying but I believe in software patents. What about the case with Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. There is a legitimate concern that he stole that idea. The world may never know the truth, but since I am considering patent law after my engineering degree, bring on the law suits baby!! Like you said, those patent lawyers are about to get riiiccchhh!

But my asshole of recent memory is Steve Jobs.

Yes, I love apple products and yes the man is the unequivocal zenith of a successful business model, marketing, advertising, and computer and software design. He brought Apple out of the gutter and maid the whole world fall in love with them all over again do to a certain image being promoted. BBuutt his massive ego and belief that iOS devices should be completely closed down and should only work through iTunes is ludicrous. He, using Apple, wants to control what his buyers consume, ironically, cira 1984. I think I am the only one that knows best what I want to do. For trying to tell me otherwise, Steve, you are being an asshole!

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 pm
Armond White, for obvious reasons that have been stated countless times on this forum.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:54 am
Jack Thompson-WORST LAWYER EVER! :evil: Thankfully he was barred from practicing law a few years back.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:17 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
Jack Thompson-WORST LAWYER EVER! :evil: Thankfully he was barred from practicing law a few years back.

Hear hear! I think he was the person for the term "media whore" was created. I enjoyed the fact he was out in front of the cameras blasting the video game "Bully" before anything about the game was known.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:24 am
Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
Armond White, for obvious reasons that have been stated countless times on this forum.

Pete Hammond is right up there with Armond as the worst critic right now.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 am
Profile YIM
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I see what you are saying but I believe in software patents. What about the case with Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. There is a legitimate concern that he stole that idea.

I'm not sure a patent would have helped in that case. Remember they had a germ of an idea but no clue how to implement it. I believe he was the sole original developer. It would have been difficult for them to patent the entire thing without his help. Even then, the idea of social networking isn't really patent-able. He could have kept little parts and improved where he saw fit. Whatever the case, he's a giant asshole so I'm glad you brought his name up in this thread.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm
Quote:
Whatever the case, he's a giant asshole so I'm glad you brought his name up in this thread.

Ya he is a giant asshole. I think Armond White deserves a little something extra on top of his already major Asshole status as well.

In accordance with Gameday being at an SEC location for the third week in a row this Saturday, I'm going to name anybody that thinks the SEC is overrated or isn't the best NCAAF conference as an Asshole!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:13 pm
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I'd like to nominate me!! :D

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:21 pm
Gaffer

Bill O'Reilly. I've never seen a man who can squeeze so much concentrated douche into a single face's surface area.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:44 pm
Hinotori wrote:
Bill O'Reilly. I've never seen a man who can squeeze so much concentrated douche into a single face's surface area.

Oh god yes! I remember how he made a big deal over Jennifer Anniston saying that women were capable of raising kids without a man, I couldn't care less if that guy died tomorrow! Jerry Lewis really gets on my nerves as well.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 pm
Glenn Beck.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 pm
Yeah, when it comes to extremist conservative "pundits" (unfortunately for the right, the only ones you ever hear spewing) I'd rank the top three levels of right-wing, pundit douchebaggery as 1) Rush Limbaugh, 2) Glenn Beck and 3) Bill O'Reily. I just wish that there were more conservative pundits who talked with level-headedness, logic, common sense and common decency.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I'd like to nominate me!! :D

Sorry, but I reject your nomination. At this juncture you're far too nice a person. You're going to have to do a lot of work before you can achieve "asshole" status.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 am
Keith Olbermann

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 pm
Director

johnny larue wrote:
Keith Olbermann

He's alright, but he can be a bit annoying. This is coming from a liberal. Rachel Maddow for the win.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:18 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Some wise person once said that if assholes could fly, the world would be an airport. With that said, I've pondered for years doing an "asshole of the week thread," but never have.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 pm
johnny larue wrote:
Keith Olbermann

You might get a laugh out of this Johnny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgX4doURkSE

I nominate Fidel Castro. Truly an asshole of assholes and the douchiest of douches.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm
I will second that nomination for Rush Limbaugh although sometimes I find some of his commentary to be so out-of-touch with how people think in this day and age that he can be quite funny at times.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 pm
Well Rush Limbaugh's actually going to guest star on an upcoming episode of Family Guy, that oughta be interesting!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:58 pm