Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am

Bother 
Post Bother
What's a thing (or things, I suppose) that bothers you?

I try not to be bothered by everything, but I hate how slow upper management can be. I remember when my mother was temp as the company she works at now, they wouldn't make her permanent for the longest time. It was something like two years. My situation's not as bad, but it takes over a week for a pay raise to go through. Why! If someone told me why, I wouldn't complain as much.

I also hate it when people use a gun with a grenade launcher attachment in Free-For-All matches in Modern Warfare 2.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Post Re: Bother
Two things, one serious and the other not.

First thing:

I have a friend I've been gradually losing respect for. He's a nice guy, mostly, but has always had a tendency to need a lot -- need to borrow things (DVDs, mostly), need a lot of advice, and need a lot of special favors. The phone rings, and if it's him, I know that it's going to have little to do with me or my family; the topic is always him, current struggles (almost always women and sex) and it's been getting frustrating. Seven, eight calls a day and frequent requests to borrow money. I'm a nice guy, really, but I don't like to feel exploited. It bothers me that (a) it took me so long to notice this guy for the self-involved user he is and (b) I eventually had to conlude (a) without anywhere else to go.

Second thing:

I was bothered by Michael Winterbottom's defense of using unsimulated sex in 9 Songs. He claimed that, in literature, characters had sex all of the time and so why not in movies? What bothered me was his mistaking actors for the characters they play -- it wouldn't just be the characters having sex but the actors having sex. Weird. If a character commits a murder you don't have the actor kill someone.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 pm
Director

People who are condenscending
Poeple who are pretentious
People who wear bowties; you look pretentious

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:07 pm
Pedro wrote:
I try not to be bothered by everything, but I hate how slow upper management can be. I remember when my mother was temp as the company she works at now, they wouldn't make her permanent for the longest time. It was something like two years. My situation's not as bad, but it takes over a week for a pay raise to go through. Why! If someone told me why, I wouldn't complain as much.

Dude, try working for the Federal Government. Pay raises take FOREVER to go through. I'm in the middle of getting one now, and it's taken 2 weeks already for my supervisor to come up with a justification and move the paperwork along. Then it goes for signature and all that other bullshit. It'll be another month probably. What bullshit. Of course, a raise is a raise, so I can't complain too much. Still pretty bothersome.

majoraphasia wrote:
I have a friend I've been gradually losing respect for. He's a nice guy, mostly, but has always had a tendency to need a lot -- need to borrow things (DVDs, mostly), need a lot of advice, and need a lot of special favors. The phone rings, and if it's him, I know that it's going to have little to do with me or my family; the topic is always him, current struggles (almost always women and sex) and it's been getting frustrating. Seven, eight calls a day and frequent requests to borrow money. I'm a nice guy, really, but I don't like to feel exploited. It bothers me that (a) it took me so long to notice this guy for the self-involved user he is and (b) I eventually had to conlude (a) without anywhere else to go.

I have a friend a lot like that. He doesn't call as much as yours, but everytime we talk or hang out, he needs something. He's basically the black Al Bundy (minus Peggy and the kids) - high school sports star who never made anything of himself. He relies on friends and relatives to mooch off of to get by. I just want to grab him and shake him and say, "You're 28 years old! Get a job, or a car, or something! Do something with your life!" The worst part is he's arrogant to a fault and thinks he's a great person that everyone loves. Infuriating!

What bothers me is people who drive slowly in the left lane. Nothing brings road rage faster. If you're putting along at 55-60 in the left lane and a line of cars is behind you, GET OVER! You aren't doing the world a great service by annoying people who drive faster than you. It doesn't keep speed down. It probably causes more accidents because it leads to more aggressive driving.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:13 pm
Sometimes, humanity in general bothers me.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:24 pm
People who are intolerant of other peoples cultures....and the Dutch.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 pm
a dude in class.

plagiarizer. would fuckin love to murder his ass....in front of his mother.

irritating fucker. always begs people to do his assignments.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:11 pm
In honour of the World Cup I nominate sports fans who think they're always right and yet know virtually nothing about the sport. Every 4 years all these football fans appear. That's perfectly alright, but I can't stand those who insist that X is the greatest player EVA!!! Just today someone was trying to convince me that Germany threw their match for money. Please...these guys are mostly multi millionaires. Why throw the most important game of your life for a few dollars more?

PeachyPete wrote:
What bothers me is people who drive slowly in the left lane. Nothing brings road rage faster. If you're putting along at 55-60 in the left lane and a line of cars is behind you, GET OVER! You aren't doing the world a great service by annoying people who drive faster than you. It doesn't keep speed down. It probably causes more accidents because it leads to more aggressive driving.

Yes! Same here. A bunch of folks think that they can stay in the lane as long as they're driving the speed limit. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, that lane is for overtaking ONLY. Get your ass back into the other lane when you're finished. Difference is that we drive on the left here. We've tried to adopt all the stupidest things from the British.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:22 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
In honour of the World Cup I nominate sports fans who think they're always right and yet know virtually nothing about the sport. Every 4 years all these football fans appear. That's perfectly alright, but I can't stand those who insist that X is the greatest player EVA!!! Just today someone was trying to convince me that Germany threw their match for money. Please...these guys are mostly multi millionaires. Why throw the most important game of your life for a few dollars more?

I laughed and laughed while reading this. And why? Why did I laugh? Because I know NOTHING about football even after watching several matches, following most of the games on paper, and participating in the Reelviews World Cup over at Yahoo. I remained so blind to the nuances, so completely at a loss for expertise, that I couldn't bring myself to post in the Reelviews thread on the games even though I wanted to. On Yahoo I know that I'm an outsider and I'm pretty sure that everyone else has figured this out. I saved myself embarrassment only to post this paragraph.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:57 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

i know exactly what you mean....

before the world cup...ME: "who're you supporting?"...THEY: "im supporting messi" ..."and ronaldo"
well ...ME in imagination: "say hello to my little friend!!"

PS - noone is gonna throw anything for money...except maybe the referees would. call me crazy...but they dont get a nike advertisement.
*yes i AM pointing at 2002*

PPS - you had a world cup thingy on yahoo?! and eddy did not invite me? mmeeee? :cry: :cry:

and i thought...*heartache*!!!

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I laughed and laughed while reading this. And why? Why did I laugh? Because I know NOTHING about football even after watching several matches, following most of the games on paper, and participating in the Reelviews World Cup over at Yahoo. I remained so blind to the nuances, so completely at a loss for expertise, that I couldn't bring myself to post in the Reelviews thread on the games even though I wanted to. On Yahoo I know that I'm an outsider and I'm pretty sure that everyone else has figured this out. I saved myself embarrassment only to post this paragraph.

I'm sure you know that my post wasn't directed at you since you don't pretend to know all there is about the game. Actually, you're being a little coy. You were ahead of me for some time in the yahoo game and while I see you're now in 4th, you still have 31 correct picks to my 32. Pretty...pretty good.

aameen wrote:

PS - noone is gonna throw anything for money...except maybe the referees would. call me crazy...but they dont get a nike advertisement.
*yes i AM pointing at 2002*

PPS - you had a world cup thingy on yahoo?! and eddy did not invite me? mmeeee? :cry: :cry:

and i thought...*heartache*!!!

Agreed on the referees. That's something I can believe. And...I feel genuinely bad now. It was Bondurant's league, but he was very clear that we could invite anyone we liked. This selfish asshole invited no-one. Sorry buddy, it would have been more fun with you there.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:04 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I'm sure you know that my post wasn't directed at you since you don't pretend to know all there is about the game. Actually, you're being a little coy. You were ahead of me for some time in the yahoo game and while I see you're now in 4th, you still have 31 correct picks to my 32. Pretty...pretty good.

:?:

I never thought your post was directed at me. I was describing my narrow escape of being That Guy.

Fun fact: I picked every single game on Yahoo based on Vegas odds. True! That's why I'm in 4th place and not 1st.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:24 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
:?:

I never thought your post was directed at me.

I know, that's why I said:

Quote:
I'm sure you know that my post wasn't directed at you

Did I language fail somewhere? Sorry, it happens...

Just to reiterate: I hope you know that I knew that you knew. Or something to that effect.

Hey, I can add something to the bother list! Me!

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:38 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

Aw, please tell me that your post was directed at ME. It'll break my heart if you don't. 8-)

P.S.: Now that you mentioned the W.C., I have to also reiterate how much those fucking horns (re: vuvuzelas) bothered me in every match I watched. Fuck Africa for any future W.C. hosting consideration if that's their idea of "culture".

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:23 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Amen! I really hate it when I'm driving 130 MPH and some asshole who's only going 110 is taking his own sweet time passing someone in the left lane. ;)

Luckily, that doesn't happen that often over here. On the Autobahn, you pass on the left, then you get over. Passing on the right is strictly verboten. You can lose your license for passing on the right. I tell you, I feel much more secure driving 120 mph plus over here than driving back in Chicago at 60mph where you have no idea what the other guy is going to do.

Anyway, what bothers me is hypocrisy. And littering.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 pm
Director

Women who send mixed signals.

And that's pretty much it.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:

You win. That's fucking aggravating. Yes, I I mean that both ways.

I'd add "Women who hold out on sex as a form of punishment" to the list.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

You win. That's fucking aggravating. Yes, I I mean that both ways.

I'd add "Women who hold out on sex as a form of punishment" to the list.

Yep, happened to me last night man. I went to a party at my friend's and my one friend, who I sorta had a crush on last summer, was like all over me and hugging me one minute, then she turns her body away from me when I sit down next to her. Plus the fact that as I was driving away I'm pretty sure I saw her making out with one of my other friends. Sad.

I guess I could add some stories Fox News reports on to the list - too (and I'm conservative!).

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Misogyny

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I guess I could add some stories Fox News reports on to the list - too (and I'm conservative!).

You too?!??!??!?! This place is brimming with conservatives! It's freaking me out -- I'm starting to feel like Veronica Cartwright at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The last thing she sees? This:

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 pm