Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:51 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What's your drink? 
Author Message
Post Re: What's your drink?
I've had four Canadian Club whiskeys in the past four hours and am also in no mindset to post. Plus, I've got to drive soon and wouldn't want posting to distract me from the blurry road and need to take a nap.

But not really.


Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:05 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
I'll explain my current drink of choice with a movie quote:

"Fuck Heineken. Pabst Blue Ribbon!"


Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Don't know how I missed this thread. Probably due to too much partaking...

I love Beer. Living here in the Holy Land of the Golden Nectar is like a dream come true. I prefer Weissbier, but like a good Helles as well. I have often made the obligatory pilgrimage to Kloster Andechs to partake of the wonderful dark beer they serve there and have also been to the Weihenstephan brewery on more than a few occasions, the oldest brewery in the world. They have been brewing beer there since 725, and officially received a license to sell it in 1040. They've been going ever since. I think they've had some time to get it right. Both Andechs and Weihenstephan are only about 30 minutes from here.

I'm also an avid whisky drinker and love a good single malt. I prefer Scotch, then Irish, then bourbon, but one of the best whiskeys I've had is a bourbon, George Stagg. If you can find it, buy it. It's great. I like the smoky Islay Scotches like Aardbeg, Laphroaig and Caol Ila, but love a good Speyside as well (The Macallan, especially the 25 y.o., being a particular favorite).

Irish is smoother (being distilled three times will do that) but I prefer the distinctive flavor of Scotch.

And then there's wine. Love wine. Prefer red, but will drink white and rosé depending on the food or weather. It's good to be a wine drinker here in Germany, as it is substantially cheaper for some reason. Must be differently taxed. I can get the exact same bottle of a California red that costs $20 in the US for €4 here in the supermarket. French wines are cheaper here than in France, etc. You can get a very good bottle of wine here for €5-10. Wonderful.

I was never a big tequila fan, but my cousin, who lives in San Diego recently came to visit and he brought a bottle of Patrón anejo as a gift. Wow, were my eyes opened. I look forward to discovering the world of high-end sipping tequila. Definitely made me rethink my image of tequila as a frat boy shooter drink. And I always hated the taste/smell of tequila. The Patron experience was similar to a fine whisky.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:09 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1795
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: What's your drink?
For me, I love diet peach Snapple. And it's not bad for you either; it doesn't have much in the way of sugar, and it tastes great.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am
Profile
Post Re: What's your drink?
MunichMan wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread. Probably due to too much partaking...

I love Beer. Living here in the Holy Land of the Golden Nectar is like a dream come true. I prefer Weissbier, but like a good Helles as well. I have often made the obligatory pilgrimage to Kloster Andechs to partake of the wonderful dark beer they serve there and have also been to the Weihenstephan brewery on more than a few occasions, the oldest brewery in the world. They have been brewing beer there since 725, and officially received a license to sell it in 1040. They've been going ever since. I think they've had some time to get it right. Both Andechs and Weihenstephan are only about 30 minutes from here.

I'm also an avid whisky drinker and love a good single malt. I prefer Scotch, then Irish, then bourbon, but one of the best whiskeys I've had is a bourbon, George Stagg. If you can find it, buy it. It's great. I like the smoky Islay Scotches like Aardbeg, Laphroaig and Caol Ila, but love a good Speyside as well (The Macallan, especially the 25 y.o., being a particular favorite).

Irish is smoother (being distilled three times will do that) but I prefer the distinctive flavor of Scotch.

And then there's wine. Love wine. Prefer red, but will drink white and rosé depending on the food or weather. It's good to be a wine drinker here in Germany, as it is substantially cheaper for some reason. Must be differently taxed. I can get the exact same bottle of a California red that costs $20 in the US for €4 here in the supermarket. French wines are cheaper here than in France, etc. You can get a very good bottle of wine here for €5-10. Wonderful.

I was never a big tequila fan, but my cousin, who lives in San Diego recently came to visit and he brought a bottle of Patrón anejo as a gift. Wow, were my eyes opened. I look forward to discovering the world of high-end sipping tequila. Definitely made me rethink my image of tequila as a frat boy shooter drink. And I always hated the taste/smell of tequila. The Patron experience was similar to a fine whisky.


Wisconsin makes a great beer and it's not Miller. It's an upstart brewery in New Glarus, WI that quickly became one of the best beers around. I love the taste of beer, and I've sampled pretty much everything in their catalog and they've never let me down. I prefers lagers over ales, but the now famous Spotted Cow is a very drinkable ale and is great with a dinner and doesn't become too sweet if you're drinking more than one.

Here's the web site: http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/Beers.cfm


Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
The days of nothing but shit beer in the US are long over. There are some fantastic microbrews to be found everywhere. I like Spotted Cow. Goose Island makes some nice beers if we want to stay in the midwest. 99% of the mass-produced stuff is still shit, though.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
MunichMan wrote:
The days of nothing but shit beer in the US are long over. There are some fantastic microbrews to be found everywhere. I like Spotted Cow. Goose Island makes some nice beers if we want to stay in the midwest. 99% of the mass-produced stuff is still shit, though.

Many microbrewed beer tends to be fairly good, so this isn't a point that could specifically apply to American beers. Most U.S. beer is indeed watered down piss- for me, Coors is pretty much the only one I can stand to drink.


Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:52 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
I'm not a beer or wine fan. Guinness is probably the beer I hate least, and I can drink some white wine, but I don't really enjoy it.

Gin & tonic is my standard drink, enjoyed even more because I'm such a Douglas Adams fan. I like Chartreuse, too, although one ounce can last most of an evening.


Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Sapphire wrote:
Gin & tonic is my standard drink, enjoyed even more because I'm such a Douglas Adams fan.

Interesting- G&T's are a favored drink of mine as well. I need to ask the following about your gin: Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire?


Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Beer - Anything dark and strong lol (yes yes we all know how that phrase can be twisted around)

Mixed Drink - White Russian (yes I tried it because of The Big Lebowski lol)

Random Other - Vanilla Almond Milk with organic Soy/Protein powder mix


Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 am
Post Re: What's your drink?
majoraphasia wrote:
If this thread doesn't get at least 100 posts I'm going to team up with ram1312 and come to your house for an old-fashioned beatdown.


50 posts....as much as majors company would please my delicate heart, im gonna contribute....

drink? - Water. no alcohol for me. so..

one word - darjeeling. :D

more words....

ThumsUp, with a lot of ice. cubes, some of it crushed. in a glass.
although the glass bottle is the classic way...

juice, you ask? - we get a thing back home...called mixed fruit - sweet lime, pomegranate, orange, lime(yellow, small), with sugar and a splash of soda ...plus, "chooran", a salt thingy....

iced tea - regular kind. with lemon lemon lemon all over it...

green tea.

PS - im currently on medication that forces me not to drink anything...no alcohol, no sodas, no nothing! WHAT's the good thing about living near a beach if one cannot eat sea food?!

PPS - also, no sex. no joke. im on doctors orders not to have sex. :| just to put it out there..... :lol:

PPPS - where is jimmy?

PPPPS - thumsUp - for the culturally different(aka everyone) - is somewhat a coke, pepsi type of thing....


Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
aameen wrote:
PS - im currently on medication that forces me not to drink anything...no alcohol, no sodas, no nothing! WHAT's the good thing about living near a beach if one cannot eat sea food?!

PPS - also, no sex. no joke. im on doctors orders not to have sex. :| just to put it out there..... :lol:

PPPS - where is jimmy?



What kind of world do you live in where you can't have sex on doctor's orders!


And if by Jimmy you mean JB, he's probably at home taking care of his baby


Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:46 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Patrick wrote:
aameen wrote:
PS - im currently on medication that forces me not to drink anything...no alcohol, no sodas, no nothing! WHAT's the good thing about living near a beach if one cannot eat sea food?!

PPS - also, no sex. no joke. im on doctors orders not to have sex. :| just to put it out there..... :lol:

PPPS - where is jimmy?



What kind of world do you live in where you can't have sex on doctor's orders!


And if by Jimmy you mean JB, he's probably at home taking care of his baby


the question is what kind of medicine is this that would cause "side-effects" if i do?

and no...i dont.

although thats good to hear. :)


Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:51 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
Gin & tonic is my standard drink, enjoyed even more because I'm such a Douglas Adams fan.

Interesting- G&T's are a favored drink of mine as well. I need to ask the following about your gin: Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire?


I prefer Sapphire (which does not actually have anything to do with my username), but really, once it's mixed with tonic water, I have trouble telling the difference.

I will confess: I grew up in a non-drinking family, so I didn't drink for years, until I was about 30. I had no familiarity with liquor at all. When I bought my first bottle of Sapphire Bombay gin, I was BITTERLY disappointed to discover that it was only the bottle, not the gin, that was blue.


Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:49 pm
Online
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6482
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: What's your drink?
On a related note, your hippo is adorable

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 pm
Profile
Post Re: What's your drink?
Cold mocha/coffee ice shake-made up the recipe myself so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg at McDonald's to get one!


Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 am
Post Re: What's your drink?
So I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with five of my friends pretty soon. What would you guys recommend for six people who don't drink all that often? The goal's to get drunk, of course.


Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
Pedro wrote:
So I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with five of my friends pretty soon. What would you guys recommend for six people who don't drink all that often? The goal's to get drunk, of course.


Jägermeister. I believe it was invented for cabin-in-the-woods drinking. Mind you, this advice comes from a someone who doesn't imbibe, so please don't sue me if it turns you into a raging Evil Dead style demon.


Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:49 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
So I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with five of my friends pretty soon. What would you guys recommend for six people who don't drink all that often? The goal's to get drunk, of course.


Jägermeister. I believe it was invented for cabin-in-the-woods drinking. Mind you, this advice comes from a someone who doesn't imbibe, so please don't sue me if it turns you into a raging Evil Dead style demon.


That's the best advice given in the history of this forum. This stuff was originally made with deer's blood, if there's one hard alcohol out there to start off slow with it's Jager. It tastes like black liquorice, but after your first shot it won't matter. Another bonus is that when you throw up it looks like blood. I haven't drank since my last camping trip, but everytime I go into the woods, I bring along Jager.


Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:13 pm
Post Re: What's your drink?
stiefmo wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
So I'm going to a cabin in the mountains with five of my friends pretty soon. What would you guys recommend for six people who don't drink all that often? The goal's to get drunk, of course.


Jägermeister. I believe it was invented for cabin-in-the-woods drinking. Mind you, this advice comes from a someone who doesn't imbibe, so please don't sue me if it turns you into a raging Evil Dead style demon.


That's the best advice given in the history of this forum. This stuff was originally made with deer's blood, if there's one hard alcohol out there to start off slow with it's Jager. It tastes like black liquorice, but after your first shot it won't matter. Another bonus is that when you throw up it looks like blood. I haven't drank since my last camping trip, but everytime I go into the woods, I bring along Jager.


Wir wollen Jägermeister! - (We want Jägermeister!)


Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr