Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 am

Rap Music 
Post Re: Rap Music
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
I'm not a fan of Bieber's music by any means, but I think people are a little harsh on him. I mean, he may be a Michael Jackson rip off, but it's not as if we haven't embraced other Jackson ripoffs in the past. The kids got talent for what he does, which is making lame pop music for pre-teen girls. I don't hate him for it, though.

I have to agree. In a way, I feel sorry for him when he wakes up and realizes how the industry's exploiting him.

I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't making so much money xD

Though I can't imagine he's had much of a childhood. Anyone want to make bets on how long before he has to enter a rehab or get treated for a venereal disease?

I'd give him a year or two before the public loses interest in him, I don't hate him personally(If anything i'm a little jealous of ihm, he's got all that money AND he's dating Selena Gomez!) but I do wish he would drop off the radar.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:07 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
i'd still gladly listen to him over Justin fucking Biber ANY day.

And I would listen to Soulja Boy over Master P. I agree 100% on Justin Bieber the bogus Michael Jackson ripoff. And don't get me started on Lady Gaga (loose hybrid of Madonna and Prince with none of the talent).

Lady GaGa is actually very talented. Is she a complete gimmick? Yeah. But she writes all of her own songs. She does come up with some very catchy melody's. And if you hear her sing an acoustic version of one of her songs, you'd know she has a very good voice.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 am
And I would listen to Soulja Boy over Master P. I agree 100% on Justin Bieber the bogus Michael Jackson ripoff. And don't get me started on Lady Gaga (loose hybrid of Madonna and Prince with none of the talent).[/quote]I actually like Lady Gaga and tihnk she has quite a bit of talent(apparently Madonna herself thinks so too) Never liked Prince one bit though(dosen't help that he's kinda dumb, like his rant about the internet was coming to an end? WTF was that all about? :? :roll: )

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 am
Lady GaGa went from her shock rocker phase to her fat Elvis phase way to fast.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:20 am
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Lady GaGa went from her shock rocker phase to her fat Elvis phase way to fast.

Regardless, she is a talented musician.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:33 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
Ludacris is from Atlanta everyone, C'mon.

And yeah, I'm white as fuck. I don't live through anything I hear on any songs really. But I hate when people claim "you don't really like hip hop if you aren't a fan of Run DMC" or some other old school rapper or group. I have listened to it, and I honestly think it sounds so dated that I can't stand it. Ignoring what they talk about on songs, the "flow" of rappers has greatly improved over time. I think the beats have improved over time. Rap music is all that I really listen to. I don't listen to rap to be enriched with knowledge about impoverished neighborhoods. I listen to what I think sounds good. I have a lot of respect for lyrical complexity, but I don't think that defines a rapper. Nas most certainly is a better lyricist than Jay-Z, but Jay-Z just makes better music.

Kanye West is as good as anyone, ever.

God damn I love his new album. The only track I don't like is So Appalled. And really, it's just the only song that hasn't made it to my Vodka playlist. Still like the song, especially more than, you know, others.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:59 am
Has anyone heard of/listened to OFWGKTA? They're a relatively new group, and they're pretty awesome. They're all young, but their style is refreshingly sinister. They're like a mix of Big L, early Slim Shady, MF DOOM, and Satan. No, not Satan as in a musical act, Satan as in the prince of darkness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

That's a video by Tyler the Creator, whose the de facto leader of the OFWGKTA group. It may be low budget, but it's fierce, disturbing, and awesome.

I'm diggin' the dark broodiness, flow, everything. These kids are all like only twenty, but they're talented. Produce their own beats and everything.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:08 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Has anyone heard of/listened to OFWGKTA? They're a relatively new group, and they're pretty awesome. They're all young, but their style is refreshingly sinister. They're like a mix of Big L, early Slim Shady, MF DOOM, and Satan. No, not Satan as in a musical act, Satan as in the prince of darkness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

That's a video by Tyler the Creator, whose the de facto leader of the OFWGKTA group. It may be low budget, but it's fierce, disturbing, and awesome.

I'm diggin' the dark broodiness, flow, everything. These kids are all like only twenty, but they're talented. Produce their own beats and everything.

Yeah they have a lot of potential

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 pm
I'm generally more of a fan of intelligent lyricists a la Mos Def & Talib Kweli, but I appreciate many others.

And Bieber is just as talented as Lady Gaga is.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 pm
Shade wrote:
I'm generally more of a fan of intelligent lyricists a la Mos Def & Talib Kweli, but I appreciate many others.

And Bieber is just as talented as Lady Gaga is.

Oh dear god PLEASE tell me you're joking! Lady Gaga is INFINITELY more talented then that little shit Bieber will EVER be! :evil: ANYBODY could write his songs with virutally no effort whatsoever, he's so terrible he makes Soulja Boy look like a goddamned musical geniuses by comparison!

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:03 am
Vexer wrote:
Oh dear god PLEASE tell me you're joking! Lady Gaga is INFINITELY more talented then that little shit Bieber will EVER be! :evil: ANYBODY could write his songs with virutally no effort whatsoever, he's so terrible he makes Soulja Boy look like a goddamned musical geniuses by comparison!

Come on...even Gaga is Mozart compared to Soulja Boy.

Both Bieber and Gaga make easily-digestible, unchallenging mainstream pop. Essentially, it's music made in a factory -- not very many steps up from Rebecca Black. I don't have a problem if you just don't dig listening to the Biebs, but you're lying to yourself if you're telling yourself Gaga is good music. There's nothing wrong with listening to it if you enjoy it, just like there's nothing wrong with potato chips and McDonald's in moderation. Nothing at all. We all have vices like that. But Gaga -- like Bieber and Ludacris, certainly -- is musical McDonald's. Fine to consume, but admit that it's barely food/barely music.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:13 am
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Both Bieber and Gaga make easily-digestible, unchallenging mainstream pop. Essentially, it's music made in a factory -- not very many steps up from Rebecca Black. I don't have a problem if you just don't dig listening to the Biebs, but you're lying to yourself if you're telling yourself Gaga is good music. There's nothing wrong with listening to it if you enjoy it, just like there's nothing wrong with potato chips and McDonald's in moderation. Nothing at all. We all have vices like that. But Gaga -- like Bieber and Ludacris, certainly -- is musical McDonald's. Fine to consume, but admit that it's barely food/barely music.

Well I think she IS geuninely talented, and if you listened to some of her early songs(by early I mean she recorded those under her real name) I think you'd at least agree somewhat, hell even Madonna(who she's often compared to) thinks she has talent, so that HAS to mean something right?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am
Vexer wrote:
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well I think she IS geuninely talented, and if you listened to some of her early songs(by early I mean she recorded those under her real name) I think you'd at least agree somewhat, hell even Madonna(who she's often compared to) thinks she has talent, so that HAS to mean something right?

No. :lol: Why should Madonna be any judge of talent?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 am
Vexer wrote:

I have listened to her early stuff, and I totally concede that she's a fine musician and songwriter -- as is Bieber. I don't like either of them, for the record. But I do agree that she is not without talent, she just doesn't try to do anything interesting with it.

Quote:

Indeed.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:32 am
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I have listened to her early stuff, and I totally concede that she's a fine musician and songwriter -- as is Bieber. I don't like either of them, for the record. But I do agree that she is not without talent, she just doesn't try to do anything interesting with it.

Quote:

Indeed.

In that case Madonna is no more talented than either of them. Or Brittany Spears for that matter.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 am
And I honestly believe that my 4 year old Pug is just as musically talented as Soulja Boi

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 am
spencerworth34 wrote:
And I honestly believe that my 4 year old Pug is just as musically talented as Soulja Boi

You shouldn't speak ill of your dog like that. :P

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 am