Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:20 pm

Rap Music 
Post Re: Rap Music
Wasn't really expecting a discussion of Rap on the Reelviews forum, but since the topic has been broached, here we go. It's hard to say hey listen to this album and you will love rap, or hey check this tune out, it will change your mind about hip hop and what it represents. So I will just give you my favorites, and if you haven't heard them and are curious, please listen away and feel free to comment.

Best Hip Hop Albums -

Be by Common - *The Corner
The Renaissance by Q Tip - *Life is Better
People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm by A Tribe Called Quest - *Can I Kick It?
Ready to Die by Notorious BIG - **Big Poppa
College Dropout by Kanye West - *Jesus Walks
The Black Album by Jay-Z - *99 Problems
Phrenology by The Roots - *Seed 2.0

* - Standout Track

** - Edited because I'm an idiot. The Downfall of Downloading music is that sometimes you don't actually get the right info. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by stiefmo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 am
Quote:
Life After Death by Notorious BIG - *Big Poppa

Big Poppa is actually on Ready to Die, not Life After Death

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 am
Director

I first got into rap when I was about 12-13, early 1990s. I had just started listening to music not long before and for a while listened to whatever was popular. After a while, I got bored with Top 40 (which was primarily the likes of NKOTB and Wilson Phillips) and started checking out rap.

The first rap group that I really got into was Naughty By Nature. I still like their singles (OPP, Hip-Hop Hooray). From there I worked backwards checking out Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim and so on.

So in a way I got into rap at the tail end of what many consider to be the golden age for it. I was there when Dr. Dre released an atomic bomb on it in the form of The Chronic and I watched as many people co-opted the most superficial aspects of it and almost ruined hip-hop with mindless gangstaism. I won't say Puff/P Diddy/Diddy/whatever the f*** he calls himself nowadays can't produce. But I do think he should be banned from the microphone. And I hate hate HATE Master P. If anyone oughta be number one on the most wanted list for almost ruining rap, it's him, barely beating out the aforementioned Diddy.

So it got to a point in the mid 1990s where it seemed like everyone was just trying to be a gangsta and nobody (with a few exceptions: Wu-Tang, The Fugees) was trying anything new or creative and I burned out. Then the likes of Common, Outkast, The Roots and Co Flow re-awakened my interest. Today I would say that the only genre I'd rank above rap is rock (and my defintion of rock includes the genres I listen to the most: Alt/Grunge, Punk, Classic rock). I know a few people that don't like rap, who tried listening to it and just didn't care for it. While I don't agree with them, I have more respect for that point of view than those who simply dismiss it without trying to understand it.

Now here are some of my fave albums from the genre:

Public Enemy-Fear Of A Black Planet
Public Enemy-It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Public Enemy-Apocalypse 91 (Underrated. It's the album that made me a fan)
LL Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out
Ice-T-OG Original Gangster
Ice Cube-Death Certificate
Eric B And Rakim-Paid In Full
Eric B And Rakim-Don't Sweat The Technique
Pete Rock And CL Smooth-Mecca And The Soul Brother
Fugees-The Score
Co Flow-Funcrusher Plus
Dr Dre-The Chronic
Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle
Wyclef Jean-The Carnival
2pac-Strictly 4 My N*****z
Jay-Z-The Black Album
Run-DMC-Greatest Hits
Queen Latifah-Black Reign
NWA-Straight Outta Compton
Outkast-Stankonia
Common-One Day It'll All Make Sense
Notorious BIG-Ready To Die
Kanye West-College Dropout
Lauryn Hill-Miseducation

That's only a sampling.

Side Note: I like the Beastie Boys a lot. Paul's Boutique is one of my fave albums of all-time. But I never really considered them to belong to one distinct genre. They thoroughly straddled the line between rock and hip-hop.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:50 pm
This might get a little pretentious/obnoxious. Apologies in advanced.

Now, after reading this thread, I've surmised at least two solid truths: nobody here seems to have a solid understanding about the origins of hip hop and why it was created and what purposes it served (I use the past tense purposely...I'll explain later...), and the other truth being that your all white. Like, straight up porcelain. If you guys stood next too a whiteboard, you'd be invisible. Seriously, if you guys were anymore suburban we'd have to call a concerned parents meeting.

Seeing as how I was born, raised and still currently reside in the birthplace of hip-hop music, the Bronx, I think I have a unique insight to bring to the table. I've been surrounded by hip hop culture since birth.

Hip hop was originally created to give people living in the ghetto a means to express themselves without resorting to violence. Rap battles became a way of settling disputes without using pistols or knives. So for those many of you who seem to can't grasp why a lot of rappers talk about violent acts, consider the fact that it's a much more harmless way for them to channel their anger and frustrations. Additionally, rap was a way to develop creativity and create a positive thing from the strife of having to live in the hood. Therein also lies the reason why so many rappers do the self-confidence, "I'm the motherfuckin' man" routine; because back in the day if he was battling somebody, he had to be sure of himself. Nobody wants to hear a meek guy spitting about how awesome his opponent is... least of all in a battle. This might be hard for some people to grasp, but it has to do with an entire culture. It also gave black people their music back, considering us white folk stole their blues and jazz and then re-marketed it with a white guy named Elvis, this time calling it rock and roll.

Unfortunately, hip-hop has devolved from an art form of lyrical poetry comprised over beats composed of jazz/blues/other tracks to simple pop music whose only intent is to make money. Whose to blame, you ask? The white evil fuckers who sign on douches like soulja boy.... Who killed Biggie and Tupac? The evil white fucks who ran the media campaign to blow the entire thing out of proportion...they made a SHITLOAD of money off that "fued"...

But alas, it's less and less about the music these days. The whole "I'm the motherfuckin' man" bit is played out and pointless, and it seems like the lyrics hardly matter anymore. There are exceptions, to be sure, but overall the quality is way down. It's not even about being a positive form of creative expression for an oppressed peoples; instead it's about making a song that'll sound good as a ringtone and has lyrics so broadly retarded that it will appeal to all the dumb-fuckertins that buy and listen to that shit.

Also, this is obvious and doesn't need to be pointed out, but there is practically NO good hip hop music coming out of the south. Unsurprisingly, the music produced there is stupid and pointless, which makes sense considering the intellectual dearth in the American South.

Also, anyone who dismisses rap because of the songs they hear on the radio are close-minded idiots. Moreover, anyone who hates something they don't truly understand is a FUCKING IDIOT.

There's good and bad in every genre of music.

- disgruntled white guy from the Bronx ad infinitum.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:11 pm
That's a pretty good description Timmy, though I actually do like some southern rap(i'd argue that's pretty much the ONLY good thing we ever got from the south, no offense to anyone who's from there) And I don't call people dumb-fuckertins just because they like Soulja, if that's what they like, that's what they like, big fucking deal, what kids today listen to dosen't affect me, so why obsess over it? Though i'm certianly not defending Soulja Boy at all, he is the WORST rapper EVER! :evil: He stands for everything that's wrong with rap music today.

P.S. just curious, how do you guys feel about 50 Cent?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:43 pm
Vexer wrote:
And I don't call people dumb-fuckertins just because they like Soulja, if that's what they like, that's what they like, big fucking deal, it dosen't affect me what the kids today listen to, so why obsess over it?

I usually try to avoid calling people names for their tastes. The dumb-fuckertin slight was more of a broad, general thing, though obviously fans of soulja boy were insinuated, so I apologize if anyone here likes him.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:49 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:
And I don't call people dumb-fuckertins just because they like Soulja, if that's what they like, that's what they like, big fucking deal, it dosen't affect me what the kids today listen to, so why obsess over it?

I usually try to avoid calling people names for their tastes. The dumb-fuckertin slight was more of a broad, general thing, though obviously fans of soulja boy were insinuated, so I apologize if anyone here likes him.

Nope, i'm pretty sure everyone on here hates him, especially Corpen!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 pm
Well, I figured he wouldn't be popular amongst the frequenters of this board. He's hated for good reason!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
Also, this is obvious and doesn't need to be pointed out, but there is practically NO good hip hop music coming out of the south. Unsurprisingly, the music produced there is stupid and pointless, which makes sense considering the intellectual dearth in the American South.

I would guess you mean aside from Outkast.

One thing that does get up my craw is the "wigger" mentality (IE: Those who get into hip-hop sinmply because it's cool). Specifically I mean those who just listen to the likes of Lil Wayne and say "that's so cool". On the music end, they never heard of Rakim, PE or Run-DMC and they sure as hell haven't taken the time to understand the cultureal element.

For a better understanding of the cultural background of hip-hop I recommend a book called Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff Chang. It talks about the music. But it's less about rap music and more about how hip-hop culture evolved. How it was born and how it grew. One film project I plan to tackle one day is a film about the birth of hip-hop. Working title: Planet Rock.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:05 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

Yeah I forget that he's a souther rapper sometimes. Y'know, him having talent and all, throws me off a bit.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

Yeah I forget that he's a souther rapper sometimes. Y'know, him having talent and all, throws me off a bit.

Outkast is two guys.

And isn't Ludacris southern rap? I say that cause I like Luda.....

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 pm
Patrick wrote:

Outkast is two guys.

There's Andre 3000, but what's the others guys name? (that's a joke, btw)

I'm not sure where Luda is from.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Patrick wrote:

Outkast is two guys.

There's Andre 3000, but what's the others guys name? (that's a joke, btw)

I'm not sure where Luda is from.

Ludacris is from my home state Illinois, as is Common. Is there a genre for northern or midwestern rap? :lol:

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:48 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Nope, i'm pretty sure everyone on here hates him, especially Corpen!

I DESPISE Soulja boy. He's utter shit all around, from his lyrics to his rapping.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 am
Profile YIM
So would you say he's the worst music artist ever in any shape or form? I wouldn't go that far, as terrible as he is, i'd still gladly listen to him over Justin fucking Biber ANY day.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:41 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
i'd still gladly listen to him over Justin fucking Biber ANY day.

And I would listen to Soulja Boy over Master P. I agree 100% on Justin Bieber the bogus Michael Jackson ripoff. And don't get me started on Lady Gaga (loose hybrid of Madonna and Prince with none of the talent).

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 am
I'm not a fan of Bieber's music by any means, but I think people are a little harsh on him. I mean, he may be a Michael Jackson rip off, but it's not as if we haven't embraced other Jackson ripoffs in the past. The kids got talent for what he does, which is making lame pop music for pre-teen girls. I don't hate him for it, though.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:46 am
Director

Timmy Shoes wrote:
I'm not a fan of Bieber's music by any means, but I think people are a little harsh on him. I mean, he may be a Michael Jackson rip off, but it's not as if we haven't embraced other Jackson ripoffs in the past. The kids got talent for what he does, which is making lame pop music for pre-teen girls. I don't hate him for it, though.

I have to agree. In a way, I feel sorry for him when he wakes up and realizes how the industry's exploiting him.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:51 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Timmy Shoes wrote:

I have to agree. In a way, I feel sorry for him when he wakes up and realizes how the industry's exploiting him.

I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't making so much money xD

Though I can't imagine he's had much of a childhood. Anyone want to make bets on how long before he has to enter a rehab or get treated for a venereal disease?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:55 am
Ludacris is from Atlanta everyone, C'mon.

And yeah, I'm white as fuck. I don't live through anything I hear on any songs really. But I hate when people claim "you don't really like hip hop if you aren't a fan of Run DMC" or some other old school rapper or group. I have listened to it, and I honestly think it sounds so dated that I can't stand it. Ignoring what they talk about on songs, the "flow" of rappers has greatly improved over time. I think the beats have improved over time. Rap music is all that I really listen to. I don't listen to rap to be enriched with knowledge about impoverished neighborhoods. I listen to what I think sounds good. I have a lot of respect for lyrical complexity, but I don't think that defines a rapper. Nas most certainly is a better lyricist than Jay-Z, but Jay-Z just makes better music.

Kanye West is as good as anyone, ever.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 am