Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 am

Rap Music 
Post Rap Music
I know a lot of people that love rap, and a lot of people that hate it and even dismiss it as a real musical genre. I personally am a fan, depending on the artist. What ya'll think?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 pm
Post Re: Rap Music
I somewhat like rap music, though I don't listen to it a whole lot.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:19 pm
Some rap is good, some rap isn't. Just like any other musical genra

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:25 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
I know a lot of people that love rap, and a lot of people that hate it and even dismiss it as a real musical genre. I personally am a fan, depending on the artist. What ya'll think?

I can listen to rap music, but it is not my favorite genre of music by a longshot. However, I really loved the soundtrack to the film Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which was composed by The Rza of the rap group The Wu-Tang Clan. Here's a piece of it for those who'd like to hear an example.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 pm
It depends on how far into the territory you go; Master P's label, No Limit, has put out some of the worst stuff I've heard in any genre. But then you have some great mainstream stuff -- The Pharcyde's "Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde" is among the greatest records of the 90s. Outkast get a lot of attention for good reasons and Snoop Dogg, basically a household name at this point, has yet to deliver an interesting vocal performance. I wouldn't call myself a fan of rap, though; much of what's done, on average, is just robbery from old rhythym and blues. Kanye West is basically the top artist as of now and he still isn't all that interesting compared to some solo DJ work you can find. Rap hasn't really grown all that much -- a good formula was found and it's been steady going for a long time. It's still better than most indie strummy bullshit (Bright Eyes, for example) but I can find something better to listen to most of the time. Check out that Pharcyde album, though. "Paul's Boutique" by the Beastie Boys, too.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 am
Assistant Director

For me, rap is like country music. It's there, but can only really listen to it in bits and pieces. The only albums I've ever bought were "Fear of a Black Planet" by Public Enemy and "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:51 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
For me, rap is like country music. It's there, but can only really listen to it in bits and pieces. The only albums I've ever bought were "Fear of a Black Planet" by Public Enemy and "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre.
I find country music downright excruciating, i'll gladly take Master P over ANY country artist!

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:07 am
Vexer wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I find country music downright excruciating, i'll gladly take Master P over ANY country artist!

That goes double for me. The term "country music" (in its current, hideously grotesque incarnation) has its associated artists and those artists should, effective immediately, have their instruments taken from them in preparation for their send-off to a manual labor camp. I hate country music in a way that could easily have me sent off with the nice young men in white coats.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:18 am
Assistant Director

"They're coming to take me away, hee hee, they're coming to take me away ha ha!"

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:30 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
"They're coming to take me away, hee hee, they're coming to take me away ha ha!"

Napoleon XIV just had his heart broken a little -- "Someone, somewhere... someone remembers my song!"

+1 for DylnFan96818

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:41 am
Rap is probably my favorite genre of music. There are only a handful of non-rap musical acts that I listen to a whole lot. I do listen to quite a bit of mainstreem rap, unlike a lot of people who listen to primarily rap.
My favorite rappers:
Eminem
The Game
Kanye West (he really is good....not just a crazy guy)
Jay-Z (none of his new music)
Drake
Many more.....

I despise 50 Cent and most southern rappers who just make catchy songs with no lyrical depth at all.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:15 pm
Rap is a legit genre to me. I posted a top 20 hip hop records which would render most of my other words here superfluous. Please, give it a read:

http://philius-1987.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-20-favorite-rap-records-wlinks.html

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 pm
Director

For me, there's only one rap song every four-five years or so that I actually, genuinely like. As talented as these guys may be, I just get so tired of the self-loving "look what I got, I'm better than you" crap that genre manufactures, especially in this past decade. The only rapper I really follow is Eminem, whose earlier stuff was raw, honest, and ultimately skillfully executed. However, his recent stuff fell right into the same trap most of that genre falls into, that being self-glorification and infecting this arrogant disease to it's fan base which accepts it so shamelessly.

Maybe I'm stereotyping the entire genre only having listening to a minimal amount of tracks compared to the hard rock/metal genre. I realize I'll get crap for this but since when do we categorize a rapper like Lil’ Wayne, who spits lyrics like, “I wish I could f*** every girl in the world”, as a great artist? Has our society fallen this far?

I think the main reason so many people love and are addicted to this genre of music is because some of it does a great job creating a fantasy world where women worship you and you have all the money in the world. What guy wouldn't want that, right? I kind've think it's sad people drift off to that dream-land when they listen to these songs and think, "Man, what it would be like to have that", when really, there's so much more to life than sex, drugs, and egos. At least that's what I believe, personally.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
For the most part, I don't listen to much rap music. The only ones I do listen to are the older records from the 80s and 90s, mainly Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys and De La Soul. I'm always interested in the art of sampling, which makes listening to albums like Paul's Boutique and 3 Feet High And Rising a lot of fun. And A Tribe Called Quest has a really smooth and jazzy vibe to their music that I enjoy a lot. I've tried listening to more recent stuff, but it seems much more misogynistic and shallow to me.

Edit: Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything Mr. DunkinDan said above me, although I've never listened to Eminem.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:54 pm
Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
For the most part, I don't listen to much rap music. The only ones I do listen to are the older records from the 80s and 90s, mainly Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys and De La Soul. I'm always interested in the art of sampling, which makes listening to albums like Paul's Boutique and 3 Feet High And Rising a lot of fun. And A Tribe Called Quest has a really smooth and jazzy vibe to their music that I enjoy a lot. I've tried listening to more recent stuff, but it seems much more misogynistic and shallow to me.

Edit: Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything Mr. DunkinDan said above me, although I've never listened to Eminem.

I have listened to a couple albums by the Beastie Boys and it's really a blast, and I do have interest in checking out Public Enemy. I guess I don't really have as big a beef with 90's rap as I do with 00's, which just turned into one big cyclone of out of control egos.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
I understand why people don't like rappers like Lil Wayne who have lyrics such as “I wish I could f*** every girl in the world”, but Lil Wayne really is a great artist. He does rap about stereotypical rap things like sex, money, cars, guns, etc. but its the way he crafts lyrics and uses metaphores that makes him very unique.
For example:
"Don't leave me unguarded
And I'm a cheese head Word to Vince Lambardy
Word to Marky Mark Leave a snitch departed
All that blood like the Red Sea parted
My gun go crazy like its retarded
Red light on it like its recordin'
I ain't recordin'
I'm Just C-4in'
My currency foreign"

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:55 pm
One of the very few 'if you say this to me my respect level for you will drop and repeated uses of this phrase increases the risk of physical assault' lines I've heard is:

"Rap isn't music"

If you believe this or say this then you are ignorant, if not racist, scum. You also haven't been to a record store since 1979. Since I've heard it said far more than a few times, I wanted to state my stance on it. It's disgusting to me.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 pm
Patrick wrote:
Some rap is good, most rap isn't. Just like any other musical genra

Pretty much.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:17 pm
As I understand it, rap is more of a vocal style than a musical genre.

Which means it makes even less sense to make broad generalizations such as blanket "like" or "dislike" statements.

P.S. I can't say I listen to a lot of it, because my musical tastes don't often intersect with vocalists who use rap. But it finds its way in occasionally.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm
I do enjoy me the hippity-hop. Mostly late-80s through mid 90s stuff (speaking of which, good list Philius. Props for including Co-Flow and Dr. Octagon), although I also listen to a fair amount of underground stuff from this decade too. Most of the mainstream from this decade sucks (Hey DunkinDan!), but the rest of the genre is fun. Really suburb rapping can be glorious, which is why I listen to so much of the stuff, looking for the next great verse. Not sure what else to add here... Wu-Tang?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 pm