Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:21 am

Besides movies; what else..? 
Post Besides movies; what else..?
As I was pouring some 20w-50 into my cycle the other eve, I began to wonder; just going by some of the number of movies a select few of you claim to watch per annum, there can't be much time for anything else. Work, eat, watch, sleep, repeat. Is that true?

For those of us who watch less than 365 movies per year, what other hobbies do you have?

I'll chime in later.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 pm
Post Re: Besides movies; what else..?
If you want to call it a hobby...I cook. I like to cook. I get home from work and get into the kitchen. Not that my wife doesn't cook...it's just that I like to.

I owe it to my mom. She's one of those great cooks that never measures, does it by taste, know a million different things to cook and cooks them well. I didn't appreciate it until I left to college...5 states away. You can't realy find great Mexican food in Kansas. So I started cooking myself.

Anyways...cooking...I like to cook.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 pm
Well, lots of stuff.

The thing that maybe nobody here knows is that I compose a lot of music for both piano and guitar. Mostly instrumental works that mix jazz progressions with electronic and bona fide R&B elements. I've written well over 100 pieces, some clocking in at 4 minutes but several over 20. Strange as it sounds, I've been working on a chamber piece that incorporates a string section - I don't see myself completing it, though. I've been playing guitar for 15 years, piano for only about 3. No pieces have been posted on the net and only a few have been heard by anyone other than myself. I've never played with a band but secretly want to collaborate with others.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm
I like to write, though I blog fairly infrequently.

Hmm, what else....

I'm a big fan of Settlers of Catan, I guess. I get together with some friends of mine on a weekly basis to play board games and make fun of Alice.

I work out? I'm not the kind of guy who's aiming to bench 300. I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight, so I'm more focused on cardio. I do lift some, though.

I, despite fighting it for a long time, actually really enjoy Modern Warfare 2.

I've referenced work before, and honestly, I really enjoy working there. If you want to know a little more about it, here's the Wiki.

I guess I don't have that many hobbies. I'm sad now haha.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm
I play games, I read every so often. Obviously, there's the vlogs even though I think I'm going to branch out into real reviews.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 pm
Well I mostly play video games and surf the internet, most of the books I read are nonfiction, never was much into novels.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:18 pm
Sports - specifically football and basketball. I still play basketball occasionally, but I've been mostly relegated to following at this point. I watch, read about, and generally follow sports just as much, if not more, than movies. Sports is the reason I love DVR. I watch games live, then I watch a movie afterwards.

I used to read a lot, but I can't seem to find the time anymore. The only time I really read now is when I'm on the shitter. I shouldn't be uttering the following phrase at age 28, but I wish I had more time.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:34 pm
Cinematographer

I've played piano for 12 years (or 2/3 of my life), guitar for 5, choir, and college. And video games. And I'm an engineer. So I would say that I'm fairly balanced.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 pm
About 10 years ago, I was introduced to competetive target shooting which I did and have enjoyed until somewhat recently. The categories of shooting that I enjoyed required a fair amount of time and practice. The type that I still (to some small extent) do requires a LOT of prep work. I make/cast my own bullets from bulk Pb and Sn alloy (Lead/Tin) and form my own brass for a variety of calibers. Being introduced to "Schuetzen" rifle shooting, brought me into the world of target rifle building and machining. I own a metal-working lathe and recip. mill and shoot a couple of homebuilt rifles in cast-bullet classes and have done exceptionally well at our Regional matches and the Nationals. Building and feeding one-off custom target rifles has brought me a lot of fun, but now my time is monopolized by the wife and kids. Due to the amount of time it takes to do all the prep work and get to the range to practice, I've not done much shooting in the last 3-4 years. I only competed in one regional match all of last year, and while I was able to place second, it wasn't due to my efforts so much as a lack of others' efforts.
Since the kids have been born (currently 3 and 5) I've not had much time for these types of pursuits. I've gotten (back) into bicycling and with the kids being a bit older, I can take them with me on most forays. I'll be commuting on the bike once the morning temps are over 40 (have done so a few times this spring already) and will ride until it gets cold again in Oct/Nov. Last summer I stole a few Sundays and did some bike tours. On a family trip last October, I took my touring bike with to the Ozarks and rode some amazing routes. Bought a mountain bike this spring and have some off-road rides slated for that. I must have a couple/few thousand miles on the collective pedal fleet from the last two years.
Most exciting, I've also planned a solo cross-state tour (about 300 miles) for which I'm prepping myself and bike. Tenting a few nights and two nights at friend's places; I don't know if I'll like it, but if I do, I can see more long-tours in my future. If I do like it, I could certainly see a Northern Tier cross-county ride in my future when the kids are older (the wife could run 'sag' for us!). I've no experience with bike camping, so I nervously await and, even though this trip is not until September, I'll be loading the panniers and the bike tonight and many times between now and then to see how and where the tent, sleeping bag, cookstove/ware and other provisions will best ride. In the winter, I'm on the X-C ski trails either by myself or with my oldest offspring.

I guess the thing that sums me up is that, if I really enjoy something, I enjoy the hell out of it and end up going WHOLE hog for that activity.
When I'm too old or broken to push pedals, I'll do the Schuetzen thing again. Maybe I'll even get caught up on some movies.
Motorcycling has been a hoot too. I ride a Buell P3 on trips that need me to arrive faster than the pedal bike will allow.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:52 pm
darthyoshi wrote:
I've played piano for 12 years (or 2/3 of my life), guitar for 5, choir, and college. And video games. And I'm an engineer. So I would say that I'm fairly balanced.

Please forgive my incredulity but... what?! At 18? You need to qualify that noun, my young friend.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 pm
This may be the most revealing thread ever...makes me feel all depressed since I'm not doing anything cool like major or Awf Hand is doing.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm
Patrick wrote:
This may be the most revealing thread ever...makes me feel all depressed since I'm not doing anything cool like major or Awf Hand is doing.

Don't say that! If you knew how high strung (and jittery nervous) I was, how much coffee and tea I drink in order to keep myself screaming through the day, you'd be cheered so up that "Up" would be replaced with "Patrick" in the dictionary.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:40 pm
I read and play games pretty regularly. Considering how long I've been reading comics, I've got a pretty big collection of them. I like writing and drawing too. Drawing is something I intend to do a lot more of.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 pm
Seems like I'm doing a little of everything but sleeping these days. I work...alot. When you are on salary...at your dads shop, you tend to work all kinds of funny (giggly superbly wacky) hours.

I did manage to work in some extended family vacation time in Cincinnati and the great state of Kentucky during the past couple of weeks, though. I barely made it back as Kentucky pulls you into it's sweet embrace and won't let you go. I'm actually seriously contemplating moving there now, but don't know how to make that work with both a child and a (career?) in Wisconsin. Has anyone else here been hypnotized by the bluegrass state? I seriously think that I have to live there.

Anyways, my reading tends towards the eschatological, generally theological. Movies come by way of my ostentatious yet infinitely awesome Samsung through which HD On Demand movies stream at the rate of at least once every couple days.

SO that's a snapshot I guess. Besides movies, what else? Right now vicodin would do the trick, being a laborer since the tender age of, oh, 10 years old has me consistently hurting in multiple places at once and....well that sucks but it could always be worse, right.

Then there's Kentucky. Yeah....Kentucky. And vicodin.

Time to sleep.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:00 pm
I have quite a lot of hobbies actually. I love organized sports, i'm on an adult kickball and softball league here in St. Louis, and until catastrophic ankle destruction last fall, I was on a volleyball team as well. In the unorganized sports front, I'm a golf addict. I play 1-3 times a week. Currently I'm breaking in the sport of Mountain Biking, which i'm loving. I commute to work daily, which feels incredible. I love to write, mostly short stories, I grew up on Raymond Chandler novels so most of my stories seem to go to that realm or fantasy, where I spend most of my reading time and energy now. I'm currently in the middle of writing a comic series, which to this date is the best creative ouput I have. It's also easily my best creative idea. I'm proud, really proud. Getting back on track, I'm a music fiend, I can carry on a moderately intelligent conversation about any genre; Jazz, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Soul, and etc doesn't matter. I play guitar and bass guitar and write music as well. I've been in bands, but nothing currently, my roomate and I have been writing tunes together for the last year, but it's not very organized. Other than that, I have a girlfriend and a cat, so they get all the rest of my time.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 pm
Director

I can bake like a motherf'er, or at least used to before coming here. Cakes and breads? Easy as pie. And speaking of pie; apple or lemon meringue?

And hanging out with the kids. I am very well versed in the songs and storylines brought to you by Jack's Big Music Show, Blue's Clues and Backyardingans. But no fucking way I'm wasting my time with that Dora. She's a condescending twit.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:15 am
Alright. Me and Stiefmo can hit the links together. Although he'll probably whoop my ass. I was a decent junior golfer but don't play as often as much as I should anymore. Golf has been replaced by tennis at which I'm completely mediocre. You need an activity though, right?

I like growing stuff too. Have a few tomato plants, some parsley, some pepper. Nothing fancy. It's very relaxing to take 30 minutes or so every day just to water/weed etc. in the garden.

That's the productive stuff. I also watch a lot of sports. Mostly football (or "soccer"). Cricket too. I spend a lot of time reading random things online. You may have noticed that I post a lot of links. Occasionally I also self diagnose myself with terminal illnesses. However, that's no fun, so I'm trying to stop.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm
This here is a good topic. Some of these answers are fascinating. For all you musicians, there's an "Original Music Thread" about half way down this page. If you post, I'll listen, even if I don't post back.

Anyways, movies are my main hobby, just because a really great movie for me can often feel more like a religious experience than a piece of celluloid. But that's obvious, isn't it? Otherwise, I dabble in all the other arts but don't do anything really unique like some people here. I read some, I write some (I want to write more; I find the act incredibly satisfying but can rarely bring myself to actually start something), I listen to music some. I used to make sketch comedy videos with my friends, but that sort of died. (If you search redjacketguy on youtube I'm sure you can find the channel. If you plan on looking though, be warned that they're not that great. There's also a channel called heylookitsnate that I help out on occasionally (Let's say I'm the "creative consultant"). Look him up too if you're feeling frisky). I try to get out and run for awhile each day. I surf the internet a lot too. Occasionally I'll go on road trips with buddies.

I'm not sure this really counts, but I frequently structure my day around thinking. When I run I go way out of my way so that I can just spend some time with myself. When I listen to music I do it so that I can relax and think. Often I'll just pace around and think about things. I just like being with myself. Again, doubt that really counts, but I enjoy my company a great deal. Take it or leave it, I guess.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm
Director

I go to college. When I'm not going to classes or working on homework or studying I'm either playing basketball at the park, working at one of my two part-time jobs (one that's within my college's sports department), watching movies, listening to music, or hanging out with friends. My life is exciting, haha.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Zeppelin wrote:
I used to make sketch comedy videos with my friends, but that sort of died. (If you search redjacketguy on youtube I'm sure you can find the channel. If you plan on looking though, be warned that they're not that great.

I totally checked out The Ninja. Which one would you be? The Ninja?? The guy with the passing resemblance to James Berardinelli???

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:42 pm