Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 am

Steven wants to read some books! 
Second Unit Director

Post Steven wants to read some books!
I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands for the next few months, and I don't want to dedicate absolutely all of it to watching movies. (Just most.) I'd also like to read some great books. I'm almost entirely uninitiated with literature and since I'm in the company of some really intelligent individuals here, I'd figured I'd ask all of you. What books should I read this summer? I've barely read anything worthwhile, so just about anything goes.

Last edited by Steven on Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: Steven wants to read some books!
I recently recommended The Fault In Our Stars in the reading thread, so I'll bring it up here. I'll also recommend All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers, which is a McMurtry novel about a young writer and his various failed relationships. It's like The Notebook for 20-something guys. Also 2001: A Space Odyssey and Rendezvous With Rama, both by Arthur C. Clarke. The most accessible hard science fiction I've ever encountered. Clarke communicates a real joy for exploration.

Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Dude, Steven...I know it's a thick thread with just about 30 pages, but check the thread Ken referred to. Some really good stuff in there.

Man Gone Down (thank you Mark), Never Let Me Go (thank you Ed and Mark), and Asterios Polyp (thank you Ken) are just three out of various books I never would have found and loved had it not been for that thread.

Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Everything recommended thus far is wonderful and deserves your time. Others:

The Brothers K, David James Duncan. Epic storytelling on a human scale. It's long in the best sense and sumptuous to read. In every sense it's much more than the sum of its parts.

Matterhorn, Karl Marlantes. Yes, it's probably the best Vietnam war novel, but that's not why you should read it. You should read it because it's a gorgeously realized story that rings true with each element and never reaches for cheap emotions or ideas.

The Night Gardner, George Pelecanos. It works marvelously as a procedural thriller, but it's so much more. It treats its grave subject with seriousness and class. It's incredibly moving in passages and while I'm far from the first to say this, Pelecanos writes death scenes better than anyone ever (which is why he was always brought in for major deaths on The Wire). Everything he writes is good, most is great, this is marvelous.

Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 am
Assistant Director

The Shadow of the Wind: Magical, erotic and sumptuous. It's my favorite book of all time.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Tue May 06, 2014 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I'm reading John Green's Looking for Alaska right now, and I'm looking forward to checking out The Fault In Our Stars. All the other recommended novels look interesting and I'll be sure to give them all a look. I'll read through the reading thread as well.

Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Elsewhere on here I've recommended Don Delillo's White Noise, Richard Russo's Empire Falls and Dennis LeHane's Darkness Take My Hand. I still do. Here are a few other ones:

Lullaby by Chuck Palahnuik
Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
The Risk Pool by Russo
Libra and Underworld by DeLillo
Pretty much anything by LeHane

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 am