Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
mailedbypostman wrote:
How is Buckethead so good?
Listening to Nostrum - Thanatopsis
His fingers are at least twice as long (and fast) as a normal person's.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 am
Ken wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
How is Buckethead so good?
Listening to Nostrum - Thanatopsis
His fingers are at least twice as long (and fast) as a normal person's.

I thought that was only his monstrous pinky. :D

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I just finished up listening to a 4-disc box set of 1970s Chuck Berry recordings. I've already got his 50s and 60s recordings, so the next step was to wrap it up with his 70s stuff.

For many years, I've been a huge Chuck Berry fan. His work is one of the true cornerstones of American music, and if you can't appreciate it, you really can't appreciate rock and roll music. but he was more than just a rocker; he was a great bluesman and a great interpreter of others' work, taking classic songs and making them great in his own way.

The Complete Recordings box sets are for the truly devoted fans; the 1970s box especially doesn't feature the same continuous high level of greatness that you saw in Berry's early years. But there are many interesting items on it, and I found it a rewarding listen for those. But for those who just want the essentials, a two-disc anthology will serve just fine.

I had a ticket to go see him live last year but he cancelled due to ill health. I was going on my own as well - that's how much I wanted to see him!

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

recently:

The Beach Boys
The Kinks
The Doors

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 am
Chillin to Paul Gilbert's latest. Aweeeeslom e

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:03 pm
I haven't heard his last couple albums, but I loved Get Out of My Yard and was listening to Lean Into It just today. How's his new one?

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 am
Ken wrote:
I haven't heard his last couple albums, but I loved Get Out of My Yard and was listening to Lean Into It just today. How's his new one?

Well this is my first PG album.

I think it's quite good.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 am
My own music - 'Nothingness'. I've been editing this thing for hours (which explains the choice), and by God, it's actually not that bad. And it's relentlessly depressing, which is a plus.

I would also like to announce that 'Reefer Madness' (2003) has an amazing soundtrack, especially in regards to the title track. If only the movie itself was nearly as good :cry:

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm
Karn Evil 9 First Impression Part 2- Emerson, Lake and Palmer

And shush about Reefer Madness. The movie was great.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 pm
"Badge" by Cream. Hard to go wrong with Cream.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I was listening to "I'm So Glad" from Goodbye the other day. That was a peak in guitar playing and all-out jamology that I don't think Clapton reached before or ever did again.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

Unless you listen to the non-singles.

Just to be difficult, however:

Cream - 'White Room'

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 pm
Philip C. Spires. <3

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm
MimixRose wrote:
Philip C. Spires. <3

That's a good song.

Except the mid-section. That needs some work.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm
Ken wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I was listening to "I'm So Glad" from Goodbye the other day. That was a peak in guitar playing and all-out jamology that I don't think Clapton reached before or ever did again.

I won't disagree but I will say you should take a listen to "Out of the Blue" on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. This is Harrison and Clapton (among some others) fighting it out on the guitar and, oh my, is it something to hear.

And for the record: I don't believe Eric Clapton v. George Harrison is an even match. Or: Clapton clearly, very obviously wins. Hell, on Harrison's best-loved "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" it's Clapton that owns the track.

Everyone should own a copy of All Things Must Pass... sides five and six don't get much love but, armed with a pair of good headphones, it's supreme.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
MimixRose wrote:
Philip C. Spires. <3

That's a good song.

Except the mid-section. That needs some work.

Haha. Mayhaps. A little tuning could be done.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 pm
"Wild Thing" by Jimi Hendrix

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Everyone should own a copy of All Things Must Pass... sides five and six don't get much love but, armed with a pair of good headphones, it's supreme.

Hell with that, plug me the hell in.

'All Things Must Pass...' is a great album, and while Clapton was by far the better guitarist ('Crossroads', anyone?), Harrison was by far the better songwriter. 'What Is Life' is probably the best song he ever wrote, but his top ten of self-penned tunes can easily match that of McCartney's solo work, and maybe even John's.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:55 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I won't disagree but I will say you should take a listen to "Out of the Blue" on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. This is Harrison and Clapton (among some others) fighting it out on the guitar and, oh my, is it something to hear.

And for the record: I don't believe Eric Clapton v. George Harrison is an even match. Or: Clapton clearly, very obviously wins. Hell, on Harrison's best-loved "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" it's Clapton that owns the track.
Clapton holds his own on Harrison's turf, but what Harrison himself plays on any other given Beatles track is absolutely immaculate. He is perhaps second only to David Gilmour in judging the context of a song and responding with precisely what that context calls for. Clapton does beat both of them in terms of pure chops (and, at least in terms of Cream, balls-to-the-wall passion), but if guitar playing is thought of as a chops game, there are plenty of young guns out there who dust them all.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 pm
Ken wrote:
Clapton holds his own on Harrison's turf, but what Harrison himself plays on any other given Beatles track is absolutely immaculate. He is perhaps second only to David Gilmour in judging the context of a song and responding with precisely what that context calls for. Clapton does beat both of them in terms of pure chops (and, at least in terms of Cream, balls-to-the-wall passion), but if guitar playing is thought of as a chops game, there are plenty of young guns out there who dust them all.

The bolded statement is the truth. With one catch: Pink Floyd's The Final Cut, by which time Gilmour had become the guitarist that played for Roger Waters. Still a good record but those solos and bland melodies... the poor guy just didn't want to be in on those sessions.

And to keep the thread on track: I'm listening to Vincent Price do some spoken word on the album Tales of Witches, Ghosts and Goblins. Found it for $2.00 at a local place just this afternoon. It's fairly warped but I've been pretending that Price is drunk as he tells scary stories.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next