Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Hey now, I remember Teenage Fanclub, and I still listen to Teenage Fanclub. Quality band with a surprisingly deep catalogue of great songs. That said, I've also listened to and enjoyed Kyuss. They exist in different genres (The Fannies in Big Star-esque power pop, Kyuss more in heavy rock), and there's nothing wrong with liking both of them.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Hey now, I remember Teenage Fanclub, and I still listen to Teenage Fanclub. Quality band with a surprisingly deep catalogue of great songs. That said, I've also listened to and enjoyed Kyuss. They exist in different genres (The Fannies in Big Star-esque power pop, Kyuss more in heavy rock), and there's nothing wrong with liking both of them.

I HATE this thread. Not because it's harmful but because, every single time I post something, I manage to reveal that I'm a broad-stroke painting jerk. So, for the record:

I'm not really "into" music any more. I used to be -- there was a time, from ~1995 - 2005, when I couldn't get enough of it. Shows, imported singles, bootlegs... all great. But that ended in 2006 and, since then, the only real passion I've got is for a few scant new releases. I'm no longer able to hear the great in things like Britney Spears (I once believed "Toxic" was a monumental single) and I write things like "Johnny Cash sucks" without knowing what I'm talking about. I'm no expert and, at this point, I'm not a great listener. Gone! Four years gone. So, yes, there's nothing wrong with liking Teenage Fanclub. I used them as an example because, back in the early 90s, they released a much-hyped debut that managed to disappoint me. That was 20 years ago. I'm running on vaporous musical memory and I plan on ignoring my future posts in this thread. I urge others to do the same.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I HATE this thread. Not because it's harmful but because, every single time I post something, I manage to reveal that I'm a broad-stroke painting jerk. So, for the record:

I'm not really "into" music any more. I used to be -- there was a time, from ~1995 - 2005, when I couldn't get enough of it. Shows, imported singles, bootlegs... all great. But that ended in 2006 and, since then, the only real passion I've got is for a few scant new releases. I'm no longer able to hear the great in things like Britney Spears (I once believed "Toxic" was a monumental single) and I write things like "Johnny Cash sucks" without knowing what I'm talking about. I'm no expert and, at this point, I'm not a great listener. Gone! Four years gone. So, yes, there's nothing wrong with liking Teenage Fanclub. I used them as an example because, back in the early 90s, they released a much-hyped debut that managed to disappoint me. That was 20 years ago. I'm running on vaporous musical memory and I plan on ignoring my future posts in this thread. I urge others to do the same.

Whoa! I've never known anybody who wasn't into music period(aside from those who are tone-deaf obviously) :shock:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 pm
I like music.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:26 pm
Vexer wrote:
Whoa! I've never known anybody who wasn't into music period(aside from those who are tone-deaf obviously) :shock:

It's not as if I've forsaken music. The amount of raw effort I put into keeping up with it ended up burning me out but I still listen to music now and again. Mostly in the car. I appreciate quiet a lot more than I used to. I used to listen to a lot of noisey, noisey stuff. Once in a while I still play through "Absolutego" (everyone, take note) and remember better, noisier days.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:14 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:

It's not as if I've forsaken music. The amount of raw effort I put into keeping up with it ended up burning me out but I still listen to music now and again. Mostly in the car. I appreciate quiet a lot more than I used to. I used to listen to a lot of noisey, noisey stuff. Once in a while I still play through "Absolutego" (everyone, take note) and remember better, noisier days.

Oh i don't put much effort into keeping with music either, i'm probably one of the few people in existence who hasn't heard a single Justin Bieber song.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:44 am
You're not missing much.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:13 am
majoraphasia wrote:
I appreciate quiet a lot more than I used to.

Oh...hell yes.

It's crazy, right Mark?

Just wait till you have more kids, man. Sharing silence with your wife is one of the treasures, I now treasure. Kind of like climaxing at the same time she did...

I've said too much.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 am
ram1312 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Oh...hell yes.

It's crazy, right Mark?

Just wait till you have more kids, man. Sharing silence with your wife is one of the treasures, I now treasure. X-rated comment that was funny.

*sigh of relief* Yes. The silence is great. And there's so damned little of it. But it's pretty awesome when your kid sings, off-key and inaccurately, Primus' "Too Many Puppies". Kids love puppies. And bass.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:18 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Oh...hell yes.

It's crazy, right Mark?

Just wait till you have more kids, man. Sharing silence with your wife is one of the treasures, I now treasure. X-rated comment that was funny.

*sigh of relief* Yes. The silence is great. And there's so damned little of it. But it's pretty awesome when your kid sings, off-key and inaccurately, Primus' "Too Many Puppies". Kids love puppies. And bass.
Yeah, try listening to your sister loudly singing along to crappy pop-punk bands like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and Fallout Boy, fortunately she's going to college out of state now, so that's no longer a problem.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:40 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Oh...hell yes.

It's crazy, right Mark?

Aw man...so right, as well. You know, we complain...but when their sweet little songs will eventually be replaced by shit like like a G-6...like a G-6 or whatever the fucking song goes...you've got to take it in, man.

Recently, my oldest made my wife cry with his rendition of Do You Hear What I Hear? that he's learning for the holidays.

So that's what I'm listening to now fellas...off tune, forgetful lyrics of Christmas songs, sung in the sweetest of little voices.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am
ram1312 wrote:

Recently, my oldest made my wife cry with his rendition of Do You Hear What I Hear? that he's learning for the holidays.

So that's what I'm listening to now fellas...off tune, forgetful lyrics of Christmas songs, sung in the sweetest of little voices.

All the stuff that used to irritate me, in baseless thought experiments, now seems like the greatest stuff in the world. I know every parent says that but I'll be a guy who works on Thanksgiving if it isn't true. I especially like her version of Abba's dancing queen. A true improvement over the original.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm
In the spirit of the holiday: Alice's Restaurant -Arlo Guthrie 8-)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:46 pm
Now listening to what is possibly the final mixdown of a recent live show my band played. Maybe my engineer/producer hat is a little too tight, but it's sounding pretty good. We'll release it as an album if it turns out well enough.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Any fans of W.A.S.P. on here? i've been giving them quite a few listens lately.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:05 pm
Vexer wrote:

Hey Blackie Lawless, PUT ON A SHIRT!

Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:20 pm
Vexer wrote:
"Hellion" is one of the baddest tunes around. Makes me wish I could scream or sing or do anything vocally related.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:15 pm
Ken wrote:
Vexer wrote:
"Hellion" is one of the baddest tunes around. Makes me wish I could scream or sing or do anything vocally related.

Got that right! :twisted: This right here is one of they're best songshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHkexUhJy0

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 pm
Ryan Adams Cardinology and Love is Hell
Rob

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:10 pm
Director

Decided to do random shuffle on System of a Down like I sometimes do, then I get to school, get on the Internet, and read they're getting back together to tour in Europe after disbanding in 2005? Awesome.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next