Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
I will here and now make a statement that I believe with 100% conviction. Ready? Here it is.

Johnny Cash sucks.

Legend of mediocre early-Elvis knock-offs and totally undeserving of his place on the pedestal.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:32 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I will here and now make a statement that I believe with 100% conviction. Ready? Here it is.

Johnny Cash sucks.

Legend of mediocre early-Elvis knock-offs and totally undeserving of his place on the pedestal.

I completely agree! Never got what the big deal about him was, course I hate country music in general so I guess for me it's not really saying much.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:37 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

Johnny Cash sucks.

I'm not sure that I agree with you a hundred percent on your music criticism there, Major.

I will grant you that there was a time period in which a small movement of influential performers with similar sounds coincided with one another. But that tends to be the way of popular music. Metallica may have been the most successful and influential band of their time, but that doesn't invalidate the accomplishments of like-minded musicians from that time. After the Beatles arrived, there was an avalanche of self-contained singer-songwriter-musician groups. Surely there must be a few valid examples of good music amongst the detritus.

I am not an enormous fan of Cash's music, but he had a tremendous quality as a performer, was a formidable songwriter in his own right, and had a way of lending his simplicity and authenticity to songs written by others.

But don't worry your little head over it. As fat as Elvis got, there's still plenty of room on the pedestal for others.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:33 pm
Director

Well, if you're going to criticize Cash for doing Elvis knock-offs then criticize Elvis for ripping off various black artists :p I am not an Elvis fan.

I actually am not too much a fan of Cash's earlier stuff, but I find that his voice was always resonating. He also ventured into territory that few dared to get into at the time. And I find some of late material to be utterly compelling.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:40 pm
firefly wrote:
Well, if you're going to criticize Cash for doing Elvis knock-offs then criticize Elvis for ripping off various black artists :p I am not an Elvis fan.

I actually am not too much a fan of Cash's earlier stuff, but I find that his voice was always resonating. He also ventured into territory that few dared to get into at the time. And I find some of late material to be utterly compelling.

We'll have to agree to *yawn* not really interested in Cash enough to find out if the later stuff is good or not. His cover of NIN's "Hurt" was comical. His early stuff is nothing special, typical 4/4 rockabilly speak-singing repetitious dreck. I'm not a huge fan of Elvis but I can stomach at least Side 1 of those first two or three albums.

Ken wrote:
I'm not sure that I agree with you a hundred
percent on your music criticism there, Major.

For good reason: I didn't really offer music criticism. Just trollin' the thread, really.

Ken wrote:
But don't worry your little head over it. As fat as Elvis got, there's still plenty of room on the pedestal for others.

Which brings to mind other musicians that don't belong on the pedestal with fat Elvis. Here's a look at some of those that just haven't earned it:

*Fat Elvis
*B.B. King

There are many, many others. But you mention someone like Billy Joel and you find everyone agrees.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:59 pm
Vexer wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Johnny Cash sucks.

I completely agree! Never got what the big deal about him was, course I hate country music in general so I guess for me it's not really saying much.

Well guys, guess this one's over.

majoraphasia wrote:
We'll have to agree to *yawn* not really interested in Cash enough to find out if the later stuff is good or not. His cover of NIN's "Hurt" was comical. His early stuff is nothing special, typical 4/4 rockabilly speak-singing repetitious dreck. I'm not a huge fan of Elvis but I can stomach at least Side 1 of those first two or three albums.

I will say once, and only once, that 'American Recordings', is Johnny Cash. It is the one album that captures his stature and leaves an imprint on the psyche, heart, and soul. All of his other work is up to debate (although I think 'Folsom Prison' deserves its plaudits and is at the least better and more consistent an effort than any Elvis record). I don't mind people calling him overrated, even largely unbearable. It's not like he was Bob Dylan, or anything.

P.S. - Know why everyone agrees that Billy Joel sucks? Because Billy Joel. Sucks. Everything he made, sucks. 'Piano Man' - sucks. 'We Didn't Start The Fire' is hands-down the worst anthem ever recorded and released by a major label. Billy Joel is worse as a musician than 'Challenger' was as an amusement park ride.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:25 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
P.S. - Know why everyone agrees that Billy Joel sucks? Because Billy Joel. Sucks. Everything he made, sucks. 'Piano Man' - sucks. 'We Didn't Start The Fire' is hands-down the worst anthem ever recorded and released by a major label. Billy Joel is worse as a musician than 'Challenger' was as an amusement park ride.

Yee-ouch. Too soon! Not really, though. Good one!

I quite dislike Billy Joel and find Chuck Klosterman's love of Joel to be a sign of a yet-undiagnosed, perhaps unnamed, mental illness. It'll be called Mark's Syndrome. They wouldn't call it Klosterman's Syndrome because they usually name these things after the people that discover them.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 am
Saying you don't like Billy Joel is like saying you don't like Frank Zappa or Neil Young. Unless you're more specific, people (e.g. me) are just going to think you're a jabbering idiot and dismiss your opinion out of hand.

Plus, claiming to dislike one of the most varied and prolific musicians in popular music based on the handful of songs that get buttfucked to death on pop radio only compounds your error.

Joel has delivered plenty of rottenness in his day, but he's also hit some home runs. Dude's even composed an album of baroque piano compositions, which seems like all kinds of wrong until you actually hear it.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:43 am
Ken wrote:
Saying you don't like Billy Joel is like saying you don't like Frank Zappa or Neil Young. Unless you're more specific, people (e.g. me) are just going to think you're a jabbering idiot and dismiss your opinion out of hand.

I'd say preference for Joel's music is purely subjective, until proven otherwise.

I think it's funny that you think Joel is deserving of the same stature that Zappa, and especially Neil Young, enjoy, being he was neither as inventive or prolific as Zappa and doesn't come close to equaling Neil Young's body of work. Hell, Neil Young made more noteworthy songs in the first half of the 70's than Joel has been responsible for in three plus decades.

So no, I still rightly believe that Billy Joel sucks. He has some good work, like say, 'Scenes From An Italian Restaurant' (also, 'And So It Goes', but only if you're counting live performances and not the flat 80's recording of it), but overall if he was omitted from the musical landscape, I honestly wouldn't care much.

It's not like he was Bob Dylan, or anything :)

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 am
Why does everybody always take an analogy that compares one aspect between two things and insist that it should apply to all aspects?

No, I am not comparing Billy Joel to Frank Zappa or Neil Young--in any sense other than that all three have worked in multiple, widely differing styles, and that it is unfair to dismiss an entire body of work from any one of them based on music that represents only one or two of those styles.

To wrench this thread out of the negative direction it's taken recently, here's some discussion that's been transpiring on a couple forums:

Man, Capcom games had the best music back in the day. Admitting to liking game music seems to be stereotyped as a gamer nerd thing, but there really was plenty to appreciate about video game music in general--and maybe still is, for all I know. I specifically remember Capcom's stuff the most, so I single them out as being especially good. Their composers were on fire.

Most of the time, they stuck with electronic sounds, which makes the music sound appropriately "video gamey," but maybe not so listenable outside of that context. But, with a little imagination, it's easy to forget the keyboards and synth patches. Some of this stuff was clearly written with other instrumental arrangements in mind. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5h4luXEc_s

Swap in some live instruments and this would fit right in on a Joe Satriani album. Not just for the melodic theme, but the fusion of classic rock and futuristic mood that Joe often goes for.

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonKOGARBIc

This is like big city jazz with a heavy metal drum track. It's arguably just as good a fit for the character as the music from the films or the 1990s TV series--if not better.

And then, obviously, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrcUSiTj7JY

The interesting thing here is that they didn't go really traditional with it. Rather than come up with a quintessentially Japanese theme, they went with something more universal. It goes beyond just being a cool piece of background music and makes a quiet little statement about the character.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:33 am
I like some of Billy Joel's hits.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:50 pm
Ken wrote:

Plus, claiming to dislike one of the most varied and prolific musicians in popular music based on the handful of songs that get buttfucked to death on pop radio only compounds your error.

Joel has delivered plenty of rottenness in his day, but he's also hit some home runs. Dude's even composed an album of baroque piano compositions, which seems like all kinds of wrong until you actually hear it.

No doubt. Of course I was basing my dismissal on the singles the Joel has released. A more accurate statement would have been "Based on the singles Joel has released I have no interest in pursuing his catalog."

But, as much as a jabbering idiot as I am, what I've done isn't all that different from people who claim to love The Beatles based on the singles they released from 1962 - 1966. "Paperback Writer" no more reflects the whole of their catalog than side A of Abbey Road does. And just as The Police have an excellent catalog that deserves some attention it would be crazy to label them "great" or "bad" based on the radio-ready "Every Breath You Take".

When I say I "dislike Billy Joel" I'm not revealing much of anything, I promise. That goes for Evenflow8112 as well. I hope he doesn't mind the light defense.

Moving on, the last song I heard and the song that's currently stuck in neural repeat is 311's "Homebrew". Very catchy, very 311. I'm not a 311 fan but that's one solid track.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:13 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
Which brings to mind other musicians that don't belong on the pedestal with fat Elvis. Here's a look at some of those that just haven't earned it:

*B.B. King

Oh dear. Oh my my. I'm gonna have to say you missed the boat on that one.

Here's one of B.B. King's best-known songs. Such amazing guitar.

A great part of the blues is not just playing the notes, but knowing the best way to play them, because all blues songs are the same in their basic structure. There are few who know how to do that better than B.B. King; he's a bluesman comparable to Muddy Waters, Son House, Buddy Guy and Fred McDowell in terms of greatness. In my opinion, there's just an unmatched purity to his playing.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:20 pm
And B.B.'s sophistication as a musician goes far beyond the blues. For him, it's not just about learning from the masters. It's about learning from everything, even styles far afield of what he's known for. The genius is in integrating that stuff and bringing it across as something unified and inventive, but still quintessentially blues. He can drop knowledge with the best of the Julliard theory heads.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:25 pm
Director

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

*B.B. King

Oh dear. Oh my my. I'm gonna have to say you missed the boat on that one.

Here's one of B.B. King's best-known songs. Such amazing guitar.

A great part of the blues is not just playing the notes, but knowing the best way to play them, because all blues songs are the same in their basic structure. There are few who know how to do that better than B.B. King; he's a bluesman comparable to Muddy Waters, Son House, Buddy Guy and Fred McDowell in terms of greatness. In my opinion, there's just an unmatched purity to his playing.

I swear to you, that I watching the same video earlier in the day. I'm just now listening to blues and this song is a great way to enter the genre.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:39 am
Profile YIM
"I'd like to teach the world to sing..."

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 am
Only the Good Die Young FTW! While I'll have to agree with pieces of this and pieces of that, I think you can criticize Joel's song writing ability as it's hammy and contrived but saying Joel isn't a great musician is a bit too wide of a brush stroke. The guy has chops he just cared more about writing tunes to bang Christie Brinkley and those like her than he did about stroking his own ego.

I get the Cash hate as well, but damnit if I don't know every word to A Boy Named Sue, Folsom Prison, and all the other "classics." Cash + PBR = Success.

Oh and I'm currently listening to The Secret Machines. But don't tell anyone. Because it's a secret. Machine.... Yeah.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:56 pm
Been listening to alot of Lindsay Lohan lately as she's been on my mind for quite a bit(I sympathize with her as i've watched several of my relatives struggle with their own addictions, and I know how difficult it is to deal with) I'm hoping that she'll be able to finish recording her long-delayed Spirit In The Dark album. Quite a few songs from that album have been leaked already, and they're pretty good(at least they're certainly better then alot of what passes for music nowadays, like the Jonas Brothers, gag me! :evil: ) Anyways here's links to some of her songs:

"Can't Stop Won't Stop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAmORdGSVUM

"I Wanna Be Bad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VanZnD2K0E&feature=related

"Stuck"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGpRBGF9arA&feature=related

"Bossy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDlRMrpT-w&feature=related

"Too Young To Die"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRV4lqsFRQ4

"Walka Not A Talka"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwg9Zb_J30

"Stay"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bocEK1QxVsM

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:40 am
Director

I'm working my way through some videos that we saw ad nauseum on the Polish music channel wa had access to in Afghanstan. Enjoy. Or don't:

Agnieszka Chylinska - WYBACZAM CI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocj20_mD ... re=related

Monopol - Lans Full Erection Remix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyBHmBrAMc

Monopol - Zodiak Na Melanzu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghg6-MUfgto

Robert M & Dirty Rush - Super Bomb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp05wnOi ... re=channel

Robert M feat Nicco - Dance Hall Track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkI_j1y ... re=channel

Inna - 10 Minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci0ccJ_Z7jM&ob=av2e

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I'm currently in love with this song :D :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vceGQLbJAUM&feature=fvst

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 38  Next