Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Author Message
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
6 weeks after it's out, I find out Mastodon have a new album and it's just...Godamn, I said Goddamn!

Currently listening to Divinations for which there is a music video [youtube.com]


Fri May 08, 2009 3:07 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
ed_metal_head wrote:
6 weeks after it's out, I find out Mastodon have a new album and it's just...Godamn, I said Goddamn!

Currently listening to Divinations for which there is a music video [youtube.com]



Some of the best guitarists in the biz....What a great album.


Sat May 09, 2009 4:15 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
stiefmo wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
6 weeks after it's out, I find out Mastodon have a new album and it's just...Godamn, I said Goddamn!

Currently listening to Divinations for which there is a music video [youtube.com]



Some of the best guitarists in the biz....What a great album.


I agree, although the first plaudits are usually reserved for their drummer.

Anyone ever seen this comic?
Image


Sat May 09, 2009 12:03 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Mastadon made a song about Moby Dick?! That's awesome!


Sat May 09, 2009 1:40 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Patrick wrote:
Mastadon made a song about Moby Dick?! That's awesome!


Nay, not a song Paddy, they made an album [wikipedia.org] about Moby Dick. Mind you, it's only somewhat inspired by the book.

Now if you care for a little Doom metal there's this band called Ahab who take things to the next level. Their album [wikipedia.org] has some songs that (The Sermon) [youtube.com] that feature lyrics taken only from the book.

Methinks Metal is by far the most interesting genre around.


Sun May 10, 2009 12:03 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
ed_metal_head wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Mastadon made a song about Moby Dick?! That's awesome!


Nay, not a song Paddy, they made an album [wikipedia.org] about Moby Dick. Mind you, it's only somewhat inspired by the book.

Now if you care for a little Doom metal there's this band called Ahab who take things to the next level. Their album [wikipedia.org] has some songs that (The Sermon) [youtube.com] that feature lyrics taken only from the book.

Methinks Metal is by far the most interesting genre around.


An album...maybe I should actually listen to Mastadon instead of just half-paying attention to the Divinations video.

And yes, metal is the most interesting and smartest genre around. Anytime Rob Halford, Dio, Scott Ian or Henry Rollins speak they're going to say something awesome and/or smart.


Sun May 10, 2009 12:17 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
BUMP

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Mon May 11, 2009 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
ed_metal_head wrote:
Methinks Metal is by far the most interesting genre around.

i'll see that with prog rock. and raise you- porcupine tree.
:lol:

i agree.


Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
It's good to see that most people on this forum aren't into rap. Don't get me wrong, some of it is ok, but I'm getting tired with the self-righteous "I got more than you" tone the whole genre has. It's like one big "I'm better than you" genre. Most of my friends are into that music, I never have been, although I will admit some of Eminem's stuff is good, probably because he's so unique. I don't know, just something about this style of music pisses me off, it's like the fans and the listeners of the music think what the artists are saying will one day become their own reality. It's like one really sad and pathetic "fantasy world" that people think they can reach, while if you ask me, the "fantasy world" is grossly exaggerated, and something to me that will only be grasped by a one in a million chance. That's just me.

I prefer rock and metal, mostly because the songs actually have meaning and tell a story. I get with rap that most rappers do a "I grew up in the ghetto" type of song that explains how they got where they are, but by now it's just gotten formulaic if you ask me, it seems like it's all the same story. Thoughts?

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
It's good to see that most people on this forum aren't into rap. Don't get me wrong, some of it is ok, but I'm getting tired with the self-righteous "I got more than you" tone the whole genre has. It's like one big "I'm better than you" genre. Most of my friends are into that music, I never have been, although I will admit some of Eminem's stuff is good, probably because he's so unique. I don't know, just something about this style of music pisses me off, it's like the fans and the listeners of the music think what the artists are saying will one day become their own reality. It's like one really sad and pathetic "fantasy world" that people think they can reach, while if you ask me, the "fantasy world" is grossly exaggerated, and something to me that will only be grasped by a one in a million chance. That's just me.

I prefer rock and metal, mostly because the songs actually have meaning and tell a story. I get with rap that most rappers do a "I grew up in the ghetto" type of song that explains how they got where they are, but by now it's just gotten formulaic if you ask me, it seems like it's all the same story. Thoughts?


I find most rap music nowadays to be creatively and intellectually devoid; not quite as bad as country music in that regard but it often comes close. Basically, I like rap whenever I've had a few drinks or whenever I'm at a club but otherwise, I'm with you in this one DunkinDan89. To me, its tolerable but not what I tend to prefer.


Tue May 12, 2009 2:25 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I prefer rock and metal, mostly because the songs actually have meaning and tell a story. I get with rap that most rappers do a "I grew up in the ghetto" type of song that explains how they got where they are, but by now it's just gotten formulaic if you ask me, it seems like it's all the same story. Thoughts?

Care to explain that at all?

My initial reaction is that it would be exactly the opposite. Most mainstream rock I hear on the radio has very generic sounding lyrics with a Kurt Cobain wannabe voice. The rap, while also formulaic yes, and often mean-spirited, actually seems to reflect something interesting about a culture and due to the innate lyric-centricity of it seems to tell more of a story too.


Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Trevor wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I prefer rock and metal, mostly because the songs actually have meaning and tell a story. I get with rap that most rappers do a "I grew up in the ghetto" type of song that explains how they got where they are, but by now it's just gotten formulaic if you ask me, it seems like it's all the same story. Thoughts?

Care to explain that at all?

My initial reaction is that it would be exactly the opposite. Most mainstream rock I hear on the radio has very generic sounding lyrics with a Kurt Cobain wannabe voice. The rap, while also formulaic yes, and often mean-spirited, actually seems to reflect something interesting about a culture and due to the innate lyric-centricity of it seems to tell more of a story too.


Again, I don't listen to much rap, I'm just speaking from the songs from the genre which I've heard, it just all seems the same. If you're referring to Chad Kroeger as the "Kurt Cobain wannabe voice", I apologize you have to hear that crap called "Nickleback", I wasn't including them in the stuff I listen to on a normal basis. Just the "thuggery" of rap gets annoying after a while, a good example is 50 Cent who won't shut up about how he got shot in the face, we get it, you're such a tough guy, Fitty. I don't know, as I said, the whole genre seems like one big scream of "I'm better than you because of this...". Recently Kanye West came up with the brilliant idea after South Park made fun of him that maybe he should stop telling people how amazing he is. Gee, what a concept! I'm not saying rock and metal are perfect either, most of the mainstream bands nowadays suck hard (recent ones being "Theory of a Dead Man", I think "Shinedown" is the only band I can listen to on the radio any more), but it seems rap is extremely overrated just because the listeners want to live the "dream" the rap artists say they have, which is lots of money, women, and power. It just seems like a sad fantasy world, that's just what I think though.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue May 12, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
As long as we're on the topic of rap, I'm in the middle of listening to Eminem's new album. I like it a lot, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I also recently listened to Green Day's new album and I was kind of disappointed. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. Take what I say with a grain of salt. XD


Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Pedro wrote:
As long as we're on the topic of rap, I'm in the middle of listening to Eminem's new album. I like it a lot, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I also recently listened to Green Day's new album and I was kind of disappointed. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. Take what I say with a grain of salt. XD


Of what I heard, "Underground" is the best song on that CD so far. I can only take some of Eminem, I will admit I'm a fan of him, but he can sometimes be as bad as all the other rappers, that said, his single "We Made You" was pretty terrible, IMO. "Green Day" only had two good tracks on their last CD, "American Idiot", that being "American Idiot" and "Holiday", everything else was either mediocre or sucked. When I heard "Know Your Enemy", I winced, what a terribly repetitive and horrible single.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Pedro wrote:
As long as we're on the topic of rap, I'm in the middle of listening to Eminem's new album. I like it a lot, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I also recently listened to Green Day's new album and I was kind of disappointed. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. Take what I say with a grain of salt. XD


Of what I heard, "Underground" is the best song on that CD so far. I can only take some of Eminem, I will admit I'm a fan of him, but he can sometimes be as bad as all the other rappers, that said, his single "We Made You" was pretty terrible, IMO. "Green Day" only had two good tracks on their last CD, "American Idiot", that being "American Idiot" and "Holiday", everything else was either mediocre or sucked. When I heard "Know Your Enemy", I winced, what a terribly repetitive and horrible single.


21st Century Breakdown actually sounds a lot like American Idiot, though I think lyrically it makes a little more sense. ¡Viva la Gloria! is my favorite track thus far, and since I like Green Day, I'll probably listen to the album again to see if it's as mediocre as I thought.

We Made You's rapping is pretty mediocre. My favorite tracks are My Mom, Bagpipes From Baghdad, Deja Vu, and Crack a Bottle. Underground's actually probably the most epic rap song I've heard in a lot time and it's classic Eminem, but I don't know. It could use a few more listens before I declare it my favorite. In any case, the album's better than Encore.


Wed May 13, 2009 2:48 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
"Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," by Daft Punk


Wed May 13, 2009 5:28 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
"Girl" by The Beatles. I'm no psychic but one day, maybe, The Beatles will be HUGE. I hope they'll do an episode of Letterman soon... that should get them some exposure, finally.


Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
Denali and their song "Normal Days" to which I say: HOLY SH*T! What a great song! You never know what you're going to find on the internet radio.


Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 am
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
I am listening to Psychedelic Furs' "Heaven." An underrated song by an underrated band!


Thu May 14, 2009 2:10 pm
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
I keep trying to listen to Ken's band http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=952, but the link he provided keeps taking me to some quasi-pornographic personal ads. It's very frustrating!


Thu May 14, 2009 3:51 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 38  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr