Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
"4st 7lb" by Manic Street Preachers. This song... heilige scheiße is it unpleasant. I wish I could hear it again for the first time.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 am
majoraphasia wrote:
"4st 7lb" by Manic Street Preachers. This song... heilige scheiße is it unpleasant. I wish I could hear it again for the first time.

Most devastating song of all time? I'd like to see someone top it.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:40 am
Anything, Anything by Dramarama. Great song and it's featured on the A Nightmare on Elm St. 4 soundtrack.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 am
Director

I'm still hooked on the mainstream rock I grew up listening too, I can't help it.

Right now its Godsmack. It's hard to believe the lead singer is 5'5 and has a pretty skinny frame, his voice makes him sound like a tall, hulking giant on the prowl. Their first album is raw, touchy subject matter, voice-cracking vocals, and hard hitting guitars. "Awake" is a great album, the subject matter is still rough, but the vocalist seems more in control of his gruff-sounding snarls ("Spiral" is a standout track). "Faceless" is their most complete album. Dynamic from start to finish, I love almost every track. "Straight Out of Line" is one of my favorite songs ever. "IV", their most recent album, is extremely impressive in the way that the band matures to a new, softer sound in some songs ("Shine Down" and "Hollow" are ear-catching tracks). They then came out with a 7 track acoustic album, some of their hits (like "Awake") toned down while introducing some new songs ("Touche" is a knockout, with a memorable chorus line). They're rumored to be making another album right now, I can't wait. Erna went on tour for a little while doing some solo stuff, but the "hiatus" or whatever was rumored is apparently over.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Blood on our Hands - Death From Above 1979. Raw dancy fun. These guys are a great band to see live too if you get the chance.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 am
"Rock Me Baby", the BB King version thereof.

There are many, many guitarists placed on the "Best of All Time" pedestal but BB King is the only one I will take exception to: he's good, depending on the recording he can be very good, but he's short of great by a distance. Still, a good song that everyone's heard at least one billion times each.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:35 am
stiefmo wrote:
Blood on our Hands - Death From Above 1979. Raw dancy fun. These guys are a great band to see live too if you get the chance.

They were a great live band! Just two guys, the drummer on vocals... they were busy busy busy on stage. And then they broke up, leaving us to wait for Les Savy Fav to come back to our towns.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:37 am
I recently listened to an album by Final Fantasy. It's decidedly not for me, but for some reason, the few songs I listened to on one of Beirut's album were more my taste. Go figure.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:28 am
Director

"Twisted Transistor" by Korn. Another band I didn't like originally but after I heard this and "Coming Undone", I became a fan. 'Transistor' has an absolutely sick beat to it, it's addicting.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
"O Superman (For Massenet)" by Laurie Anderson. #2 single in the UK in 1981. What did people think when an 8-minute spoken word performance came on the radio?

It reminds me of Radiohead's "Everything In Its Right Place", another track that, when I first heard it, seemed to have fallen from another planet. Radiohead does difficult much better but "O Superman" is pretty cool. Pretty, even.

Fri May 01, 2009 6:43 am
majoraphasia wrote:
stiefmo wrote:

They were a great live band! Just two guys, the drummer on vocals... they were busy busy busy on stage. And then they broke up, leaving us to wait for Les Savy Fav to come back to our towns.

Yeah, I'm kinda anxious to see MSTRKRFT live and feel that vibe out. They're incredibly more dancy than DFA 1979 but still seem like they can put on a killer show.

Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 am
anesthetize - Porcupine Tree - Ilosaarirock

live album. awesome show. Gavin Harrison is a god on a drum kit.
oh how i wait for the next album.
really people, you've gotta start listening to the tree.

Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm
The album "The Onslaught" from a band called "Lazarus A.D." I was interested because they're apparently part of some kind of thrash metal "revival" and come highly recommended.

Apart from the last track excellent last track (especially the solo at around 3:10) "Who I Really Am" [youtube.com] I don't really agree with the reviews.

Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 pm
Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday via playlist, followed by 'Alex Chilton' by The Replacements

May I say http://www.playlist.com is the greatest site of all time? My playlist is here: http://www.playlist.com/user/45093329/dashboard Does anyone else have one?

Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 pm
I just got done listening to Danzig's "Mother" and now I'm completely switching gears and listening to Scritti Politti's "A Perfect Way."

Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 am
Don't Call Me Peanut (acoustic) by Bayside. I have a mild obsession with Bayside. I just think Anthony Raneri's voice is completely different than what's out there right now. I'm seeing them tonight in St. Louis so i'm trying to get geared up for the show.

Wed May 06, 2009 2:52 am
Queen feat. Wyclef Jean, Free, Pras, and Canibus - Another One Bites the Dust.

It's interesting.

Wed May 06, 2009 4:58 am
Pedro wrote:

It's interesting.

Yeah, i'd say so, where did you get ahold of that?

Wed May 06, 2009 6:13 am
stiefmo wrote:
Pedro wrote:

It's interesting.

Yeah, i'd say so, where did you get ahold of that?

It's off Queen's third greatest hits album, or on Pras' Ghetto Superstar. Wyclef's a pretty decent rapper here, though he's usually pretty decent.

Wed May 06, 2009 3:12 pm
I'll have to check that out. I really dig Gone Til November. That's probably my favorite track by Wyclef, he's actually a pretty decent guitar player from what I remember as well.

Fri May 08, 2009 4:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 38  Next