Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Official 'What Are You Listening To Now?' Thread
MGMT's cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Future Games".

I don't believe I'd ever heard any pre-Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks Fleetwood Mac before. I like both versions of the song and have decided to break out my copy of Fragile by Yes. I don't own any Fleetwood Mac. Do you?

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 am
Cinematographer

Also, if I haven't pimped "Movement and Location" by Punch Brothers than I'd like to do that right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XkZiwU7yk

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:26 am
Director

Election Day - Arcadia

An offshoot of Duran Duran with Simon LeBon and the Taylor brothers, I think. I've liked the song for a while, but just looked up the lyrics yesterday. Just terrible writing.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm
Currently listening to Camp by Childish Gambino. My respect for Donald Glover is close to achieving critical mass.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 am
Cinematographer

Taking a break from watching Quadrophenia (the movie) to look at some live performances of The Who performing songs from the album.

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zja8MV1JAG8

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:14 am
Director

Richard And Linda Thompson-I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight.

After hearing it in Looper I wanted to hear it again.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:32 am
Second Unit Director

PSY - Gangnam Style

So I heard about this song from a friend, as he told me that this thing had gone totally viral. Now I have it stuck in my fucking head. Please kill me. Now.

In all seriousness: it is a very catchy song, but what's more interesting is that many of the people listening to it don't seem to understand that it's meant to be satirical rather than serious. This is probably because Psy never did this song in English, so most people in the world can't understand the lyrics on account of not being fluent in Korean. The video is pretty funny, I have to say.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 pm
Producer

I'm weirdly happy for that guy. He probably didn't imagine for a second when he made that beautifully bizarre music video that it would become a worldwide phenomenon.

Yeah, it's a pop success, and pop successes tend not to last... but most musicians can work hard their whole lives and not even achieve that.

---

On topic: now listening to Bird & Diz, a collaboration between Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie.

If that combination of names isn't awesome enough already, their backing band is Curly Russell, Thelonious Monk, and Buddy Rich.

That's like if bebop fans got to vote on their dream supergroup and it actually happened.

Anyway, the whole band definitely cooks, but the dueling improv between Bird and Dizzy is insanity.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 am
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
PSY - Gangnam Style

So I heard about this song from a friend, as he told me that this thing had gone totally viral. Now I have it stuck in my fucking head. Please kill me. Now.

In all seriousness: it is a very catchy song, but what's more interesting is that many of the people listening to it don't seem to understand that it's meant to be satirical rather than serious. This is probably because Psy never did this song in English, so most people in the world can't understand the lyrics on account of not being fluent in Korean. The video is pretty funny, I have to say.

My theory is that it was intended to be serious but when everyone p!ssed themselves laughing at it they said "oh year, it was always meant to be satire".

Classic shifting of goalposts.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:07 am
Producer

There are way too many guys air-humping in an elevator (one too many, to be exact) for me to believe that this was ever intended to be taken seriously.

I realize that humor differs somewhat from culture to culture, but really... some things are universally funny.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:09 am
Producer

Yeah maybe. But there's perhaps just enough in there to let us believe that they take it seriously.....a bit.

I love its epic tastlessness!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 am
Producer

The way it was explained to me is that Koreans do not have a particularly satire-oriented culture. Here in the west, we love our satire to bits, but their humor is oriented a little bit differently and they're not particularly accustomed to this sort of thing.

So when something comes along that gives the upper class the gentlest of ribbing--as depicted in the very excellent study of human behavior that is this video--it's a little bit wilder for them.

We might look at it and not even see the satire, because we might not think "satire" when someone makes fun of celebrities, politicians, etc. It's just par for the course. These days, you learn it along with the multiplication tables.

Of course, even if you don't read it as satire, it's still pretty goddamn funny. I don't think there's anything lowbrow or stupid about laughing at the simple use of funny images, either. I think Frank Zappa was a genius, but he admitted to throwing silly sound effects and samples into a lot of his music just because they cracked him up.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm
Cinematographer

Grizzly Bear "Half Gate" from their great new lp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZizRiAP5g

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 am
Producer

Alice Cooper "Might As Well Be On Mars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmBb1JSr4c

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 am
Cinematographer

More Grizzly Bear excellence.

"What's Wrong" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FSZXNRfFts

This band reminds me of pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd, the Obscured By Clouds stuff. Also reminds me of "Watermelon In Easter Hay". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rdkucr3zqI

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:42 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
The way it was explained to me is that Koreans do not have a particularly satire-oriented culture. Here in the west, we love our satire to bits, but their humor is oriented a little bit differently and they're not particularly accustomed to this sort of thing.

So when something comes along that gives the upper class the gentlest of ribbing--as depicted in the very excellent study of human behavior that is this video--it's a little bit wilder for them.

We might look at it and not even see the satire, because we might not think "satire" when someone makes fun of celebrities, politicians, etc. It's just par for the course. These days, you learn it along with the multiplication tables.

Of course, even if you don't read it as satire, it's still pretty goddamn funny. I don't think there's anything lowbrow or stupid about laughing at the simple use of funny images, either. I think Frank Zappa was a genius, but he admitted to throwing silly sound effects and samples into a lot of his music just because they cracked him up.

I read up on this over the weekend and apparently it's making fun out of an affluent and "arty" district of Seoul and its inhabitants.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 am
Producer

The second half of the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's 2002 "By the Way" Album.

Less commercial than, but basically better than, the first half.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 am
Second Unit Director

Depeche Mode's latest album: Delta Machine

This is one of their better efforts over the past 2 decades, as it had quite a few songs that I enjoyed:

Secret To The End
Broken
The Child inside
Soft Touch/Raw Nerve
Should Be Higher
Alone
Soothe My Soul

Overall, however, this album doesn't even approach being their best ever for me. My standard for their work was set with their seminal album, Violator, so it would be quite a feat for them to top that in my mind. Still, it's good to see that the band still has it over 30 years since they first started out.

EDIT: I'm going to clarify that when I said that Delta Machine didn't even approach Violator in terms of being best ever, that is not to say that it isn't a great album in its own right. In fact, this one is now sitting at #3 overall on my DM favorite albums list, behind Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:28 pm
Director

White Blood Cells by The White Stripes

This is one album that took a while to grow on me. But it has done well. When I bought it back in 2003 I thought it was good. Now I say it's indisputably great. My pick for best White Stripes album followed by Get Behind Me Satan.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 pm
Director

"The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" - Alice in Chains

---

Saw AIC and Soundgarden two weeks ago near Philly, awesome show.

This new album from them is definitely impressive. Maybe not as good as "Black Gives Way to Blue" but it's definitely got that classic sludgey sound to it. "Stone" is a particular standout, maybe the best song they've done since "No Excuses", over 17 years ago.

"...Like Clockwork" - Queens of the Stone Age

---

Best album of 2013 that I have heard so far. Man Joshua Homme is a genius.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next