Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Books That Would Make Great Adaptations 
Post Re: Books That Would Make Great Adaptations
I'm currently reading Shogun by James Clavell. I have yet to see the mini-series from the 80s but I doubt it comes anywhere close to the novel. I want to see this on the big screen or as a HBO mini-series in all it's bloody glory.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 am
Just One? Oh boy. Well my first, of many would definitely be The Dark Tower by Stephen King.

Director: Sam Mendes - he's currently developing my number 2 choice for this thread, Preacher, but this series thrives on the development of relationships between main characters and how it influences the journey of Roland. Sure, I wish Sergio Leone was still alive to direct this as his spaghetti westerns were a major influence on King to write this series, which is most evident in The Gunslinger, but I think Mendes would be my, still alive, man for the job. He would also have to be a co-writer with........

Writer: JJ Abrams is currently developing this series as he reportedly bought the film rights from King for 19 dollars (Ka is a wheel mother fuckers), which of course is significant to anyone who has read the books. I love Abrams in this capacity for the film(s). Lost, fringe, Alias, Mission Impossible III, and etc., he's a great writer and does a very good job of managing a grandious 'world' and bringing it all together.

Roland: For the unrealistic, Daniel Day-Lewis would be perfect here. Not really much explanation needed for this one. Also guys i've thought would be great: Hugh Laurie, Jim Caviezel, and even William Fichtner.

Eddie: This is the most challenging character for me to fictionally cast. It has to be a New Yorker, in his late 20’s to mid 30’s that has to be a huge smart ass. I’d love to see Ethan Hawke in this role as he looks noticeably younger than his age, but can he be disheveled enough? I’d like to think so.

Susannah/Detta/Odetta: Naomie Harris. I loved her in 28 Days Later; she had good turns in the Pirates of The Caribbean films and in After the Sunset.

Jake: Would have to be a new comer. I would have loved to see Logan Lerman in this role about 5 years ago, but now he’s just too damn old.

Oy: Would have to be CGI unless a dog/raccoon/fox hybrid could be created just for this film.

The Man in Black/ Randall Flagg/etc: Steve Buscemi. One of the finest character actors of our time, Buscemi’s face alone tells stories. He can be menacing, conniving, and masterful all at one time. I would love to see him in this role and all the separate characters it would entail.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Oh...that one by J.D Salinger. :D

I used to think that Franny and Zooey would make a good movie, back when, WAY back when I read it in high school. But I'm not so sure about that anymore. I decided to visit the Wikipedia page of that particular book for a refresher and after reading it I found myself thinking about The Royal Tenenbaums for some odd reason. Check it out if you feel so inclined and see if you catch any of those vibes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franny_and_zooey

You nailed it. In addition to the novel Salinger also wrote a bunch of short stories about the Glass family. I've read and heard in interviews that Wes Anderson used Salinger's stories as inspiration for The Royal Tenenbaums, although that statement is curiously missing from his commentary on the Criterion Collection DVD. But yeah, it isn't odd you thought of that movie, it's spot on. Check out the wikipedia page for the movie and check the influences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_Tenenbaums

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:57 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

I used to think that Franny and Zooey would make a good movie, back when, WAY back when I read it in high school. But I'm not so sure about that anymore. I decided to visit the Wikipedia page of that particular book for a refresher and after reading it I found myself thinking about The Royal Tenenbaums for some odd reason. Check it out if you feel so inclined and see if you catch any of those vibes.

You nailed it. In addition to the novel Salinger also wrote a bunch of short stories about the Glass family. I've read and heard in interviews that Wes Anderson used Salinger's stories as inspiration for The Royal Tenenbaums, although that statement is curiously missing from his commentary on the Criterion Collection DVD. But yeah, it isn't odd you thought of that movie, it's spot on. Check out the wikipedia page for the movie and check the influences:

Thanks for the confirmation on that one Pete! I happen to think that if T.R.T had been tightened up a bit with a little tweaking here and there it could have been on the same level as many of those timeless classic comedies that we all know and love. As it is, I like it quite a bit, but feel like it's missing something. Richie T's meltdown on the tennis court had me shooting spaghetti outta my nose and is one of the funniest things that I've ever seen in a movie. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm
I'm still wondering why Snow Crash hasn't been made.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm
I want the Lord of the Rings redone, exactly as they are now, but with Gimli having as much super-cool exaggerated fight scenes as Legolas. I understand the difference in medium between the book and movies and why Gimli was used for much of the movie adaptations comic relief, but being the nerdy fanboy that I am I feel that the character wasn't given justice. Moreover Legolas' character was also underdeveloped, turned into the character that does really flashy cool stuff to look at. But Tolkien himself said that Legolas did the least of the Fellowship, and Gimli's fighting ability in the book is much greater than what is shown in the movies.

However I'd just be happy if he had more flashy/cool looking eye-candy fighting scenes like Legolas did in the films.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
The Secret History by Donna Tartt -- Philosophy students accidentally kill someone during bacchanal and spend a lot of time trying to cover it up while keeping their peppy demeanors. The book wasn't particularly good but it could be a great B&W movie. The White Ribbon reminded me how great a modern film can look with the proper film stock -- I imagine this novel could be made moody beyond all measure with a humorless (read: Hanekeful) treatment. A cast of unknowns here.

I enjoyed this book. :) That would be a good film to adapt to the screen.

I want to see "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James Swanson turned into a movie. The pace of the book reads like a movie. High suspense, historic piece, lots of interesting characters - could be the next "The Fugitive."

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:09 pm
"The Berenstain Bears And The Messy Room"
"The Zombie Survival Guide"
The "No Berard Too Large" Trilogy (THE PRICE OF THE CROWN, THE PRICE OF MAGIC, THE PRICE OF TERROR)
"Mark Jeffries: A Life Lived In Vain...?"
"A Bridge To Terabithia XIII'

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 pm
Assistant Director

Moovy1 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation on that one Pete! I happen to think that if T.R.T had been tightened up a bit with a little tweaking here and there it could have been on the same level as many of those timeless classic comedies that we all know and love. As it is, I like it quite a bit, but feel like it's missing something. Richie T's meltdown on the tennis court had me shooting spaghetti outta my nose and is one of the funniest things that I've ever seen in a movie. Just a personal thing, I guess.

UGH! How insulting! Comparing a great literary mind like JD Salinger (RIP) to a sociopath jerk like Wes Anderson? Even I'm insulted, and I didn't even KNOW Salinger personally!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series adapted into movies. Might be tough to do since most of the best lines in the book were in the narration. That might necessitate a voice-over which may not work as well in the movies as it does in the books.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:23 pm
Assistant Director

I can't believe no one has said "The Shadow of the Wind" yet! It's my favorite book of all time!

Cast: Daniel Sempere--unknown Spanish actor, same with the rest of the kids.

Fumero: Javier Bardem, nuff said.

Fermin: Johnny Depp. Depp has the right amount of kookiness to play the character, as long as he doesn't go over the top.

Barcelo: Jim Broadbent. He has the right amount of booming personality that Barcelo has, and I think he'd be perfect.

Clara: Scarlett Johannson. She's gorgeous, while still having an air of coldness to her.

Nuria Monfort: Penelope Cruz. I don't know, but I've always imagined Nuria as Penelope Cruz.

Daniel's Father: David Stratharin.

Julian Carax: Christian Bale? I've always imagined Julian as being more vulnerable than Bale is, so maybe Jonathan Rhys Meyers. On second thought, yeah, Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be better.

Penelope Aldaya: Keira Knightly? I really don't know.

Penelope's father: Billy Connelly?

Julian's father: Anthony Hopkins, although he's too old. Someone like him, though.

Director: Christopher Nolan. He has immense skill, and "The Prestige" shows his affinity for creating atmosphere. And knowing his versatility, I'm sure he could handle a romance.

My one concession? It HAS to be rated R. No ifs, ands or buts. Anyone who's read the bood knows that this is an erotic love story, with a few sex scenes.

My ideal rating is: Rated R for Strong sexuality including graphic nudity, language and some brutal violence.

There's another book that I think would be great, but I can't think of the title. It's about a young pilot who gets shot down behind enemy lines and and has to journey across Europe to get back home. It's a great, young adult read.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Evenflow8112 wrote:
"The Berenstain Bears And The Messy Room"
"The Zombie Survival Guide"
The "No Berard Too Large" Trilogy (THE PRICE OF THE CROWN, THE PRICE OF MAGIC, THE PRICE OF TERROR)
"Mark Jeffries: A Life Lived In Vain...?"
"A Bridge To Terabithia XIII'

Tsk tsk. You know they couldn't possibly adapt that novel because of all the raw fuck action drenching every single page. That one chapter dedicated to the two girls doubling up on the protagonist would destroy any chances of the film seeing distribution. And they'd have to film it! It's the most important chapter in The Berenstain Bears And The Messy Room, after all.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 am
moviemkr7 wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

UGH! How insulting! Comparing a great literary mind like JD Salinger (RIP) to a sociopath jerk like Wes Anderson? Even I'm insulted, and I didn't even KNOW Salinger personally!

Your post does a terrific job of explaining how you came to those conclusions. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am
Assistant Director

The Royal Tenenbaums...nuff said.

I don't why the hell anyone would want to watch crap like that! People call his movies dark comedies, but he's just plain mean. Watching one of his movies is like being bullied.

I like dark comedies. Cruel Intentions, Very Bad Things, Santa's Slay...those are great black comedies. But what made them funny rather than mean is that the filmmakers injected a sense of humor into them. Without it, you just end up feeling violated.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:

I don't why the hell anyone would want to watch crap like that! People call his movies dark comedies, but he's just plain mean. Watching one of his movies is like being bullied.

I like dark comedies. Cruel Intentions, Very Bad Things, Santa's Slay...those are great black comedies. But what made them funny rather than mean is that the filmmakers injected a sense of humor into them. Without it, you just end up feeling violated.

I won't speak about Anderson's other movies, but you find The Royal Tenenbaums mean? Wow. I think it's one of the kindest, most touching stories about a damaged family that I've ever seen. The film handles it's entire cast gently and kindly. I'm blown away that someone could find that film mean.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 am
moviemkr7 wrote:

You complain about feeling violated after watching Royal Tenenbaums, but you cite Very Bad Things as a counter-example???

Very Bad Things was a Very Bad Movie and one of the most mean-spirited, horrible film experiences I've ever had, and I've seen a LOT of films. After the initial 10-15 minutes, which were quite good, it went totally off the rails. Black, yes; comedy, no.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:36 pm
Assistant Director

PeachyPete wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I won't speak about Anderson's other movies, but you find The Royal Tenenbaums mean? Wow. I think it's one of the kindest, most touching stories about a damaged family that I've ever seen. The film handles it's entire cast gently and kindly. I'm blown away that someone could find that film mean.

Maybe it was because he developed his characters too well. Comedy has to have a sense of exaggeration for it to be funny, but without it, it either doesn't work, or if it's a dark comedy, it's just mean.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
I want to see an adaptation of American Gods. Truth be told it'd be a hard story to adapt and there is a lot that occurs that would have to be trimmed, but with the right director they could still capture the essence and epic nature of the book. I imagine the bits that would probably go are some of the more superfluous stops that only serve to expand the universe, but it would be very possible to exercise those moments and focus on the main story progression.

I also have always wanted to see an adaptation of "The man in the High Castle." It's an idea that people seem to be interested in with so much alternative history stories popping up in various mediums, and it's debatable that The Man in the High Castle was one of the first books to really nail the concept into a modern mind. For those who haven't read it, it essentially deals with what life is like after Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire successfully win World War 2 as well as the goals of both factions after their victory. It's a great book and it would definitely feel at home on the big screen, provided it doesn't suffer the Phillip K. Dick curse of being turned into a stupid actioner as was the unfortunate path of films like Total Recall.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:41 am
Assistant Director

Chie1989 wrote:
I want to see an adaptation of American Gods. Truth be told it'd be a hard story to adapt and there is a lot that occurs that would have to be trimmed, but with the right director they could still capture the essence and epic nature of the book. I imagine the bits that would probably go are some of the more superfluous stops that only serve to expand the universe, but it would be very possible to exercise those moments and focus on the main story progression.

I also have always wanted to see an adaptation of "The man in the High Castle." It's an idea that people seem to be interested in with so much alternative history stories popping up in various mediums, and it's debatable that The Man in the High Castle was one of the first books to really nail the concept into a modern mind. For those who haven't read it, it essentially deals with what life is like after Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire successfully win World War 2 as well as the goals of both factions after their victory. It's a great book and it would definitely feel at home on the big screen, provided it doesn't suffer the Phillip K. Dick curse of being turned into a stupid actioner as was the unfortunate path of films like Total Recall.

I agree with you that Hollywood does eliminate much of the thought provoking elements in favor of routine action scenes in many movies. Typically they leave it in just as a hook to get people in the theater (why do they still do this? Movies that raise these questions typically make a lot of money, like "Total Recall," "Minority Report," or "The Matrix." Hollywood continually keeps underestimating the intelligence of the average moviegoer :evil: ).

However, I do have to disagree with you about "Total Recall" being turned into a stupid actioner. True, it was an Arnold Schwartzenegger movie with a lot of action. But it did raise a lot of philosophical questions that served to further the plot. I haven't read Phillip K. Dick's story, but I think you're not giving the film its due credit.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
American Gods is rather dense. I'd prefer to see this as a cable mini-series rather than a feature, but I agree that the material would lend itself well to adaptation.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm