Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 am

Books That Would Make Great Adaptations 
Director

Post Re: Books That Would Make Great Adaptations
One book that I would love to adapt is Don Delillo's White Noise. At one point plans were in the works for a movie version helmed by Barry Sonnenfeld. That one never came to pass.

My approach in filming would be to have many scenes showing how the information verload depicted in the book was gradually pushing the characters toward what they feared: death. Pushing them a lot quicker than they'd likely get on their own. The satiric elements would be just as relevant. Only a small amount would have to be updated from the 1985 setting (when the book came out).

I'd probably shoot most of it digitally. Stuff shown on a TV I'd keep in regular film stock.

As for cast I could envision Tom Cruise as the lead character (Prof Jack Gladney) and Emily Watson as his wife.

American Gods is a great novel. The problem with a movie adaptation is that one would have to cram so much into it to really do the book justice you would end up giving the audience a nervous breakdown.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm
I would enjoy seeing Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series adapted to screen. It already has that pulpy B-movie feel.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 am
Legend by David Gemmell, done in the style of Conan the Barbarian, but with modern production values.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 am
Pretty much anything by Barbara Kingsolver, with greatest desire first:

The Poisonwood Bible (in the paperback edition I bought she talked about writing a screenplay for a TV miniseries, but when I looked online, I couldn't find anything. Bah!)

Holding The Line: Woman In the Great Mine Strike of 1983 (Done as a narrative feature directed by Spike Lee, this could really be great.)

The Bean Trees/Pigs in Heaven

Animal Dreams

From Other Authors:

Invisible Monsters (Come on! After Fight Club, this should have been a no brainer)

Jennifer Government (Considering the current economic crisis, this one would actually be pretty popular me thinks)

Ishmeal by Daniel Quinn (I know, there's not much of a narrative here, but still, it would appeal to the art house crowd)

His Dark Materials (Done right, the way LotR was, ie shot in one go, this could be the equal of Peter Jackson's movie. I know JB described the books as "fantasy lite" and that may be the case, but I thought they displayed a philosophical depth and moral complexity lacking in pretty much any fantasy story I've ever read)

I know it's already been done, but considering that Hearts in Atlantis is my favorite book by Stephen King, I would like to see an adaptation in which a certain key character who did not die in book, did not also die in movie. I thought the Scott Hicks version was okay, but when they killed off a main character (who was very much alive and well at the end of the book) I found myself, well, a bit shocked.
-Jeremy

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:49 pm