Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:06 am

Podcasts worth a listen 
Post Podcasts worth a listen
Podcasts....anyone subscribe to them? Anyone have any recommendations on podcasts either film related or otherwise?

The only podcast I subscribe to is How Stuff Works from the website howstuffworks.com and stuffyoushouldknow.org. They have a huge back catalog ranging from topics such as zombies, car engines, the Hells Angels, and etc. Pretty much anything you can think of. So check it out.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am
Post Re: Podcasts worth a listen
stiefmo wrote:
Podcasts....anyone subscribe to them? Anyone have any recommendations on podcasts either film related or otherwise?

The only podcast I subscribe to is How Stuff Works from the website howstuffworks.com and stuffyoushouldknow.org. They have a huge back catalog ranging from topics such as zombies, car engines, the Hells Angels, and etc. Pretty much anything you can think of. So check it out.

In the words of the now defunct Evenflow8112 (and maybe someone from Casablanca)... here are the usual suspects:

This American Life -- Tragedy, comedy and tragi-comedy from WBEZ in Chicago. Radio documentaries about how people get by in America. Some of the stories are serious philosophical inquiries and some of the stories are about indie bands touring public libraries. It's my favorite radio show and now, in podcast form, it can be yours as well. I recommend PLAN B for the introductory listen.

Radiolab -- Recommended by someone to me on this very forum! The show is edited in a spastic, often frustrating manner but between all the blips, echoes, and whirring tape noise you get PURE SCIENCE. The LAUGHTER episode is fairly amazing -- it looks at why people laugh and then moves into the very motivations for any action at all. Unconscious? Conscious? A mix? It's entertaining (and, as said before, a fairly frustrating) and good for a twice-monthly run.

KEXP Music That Matters -- Out of my beloved Seattle comes an indispensible hour of music from The Morning Show. World music, rock, operatic rock... it all comes together for an hour on your computer.

There are more but I like to create a little suspense before you totally lose interest.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 am
Haha, i'll check them out. What happened to Phil bye the way?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am
stiefmo wrote:
Haha, i'll check them out. What happened to Phil bye the way?

Good question... I haven't the slightest idea. For a while he was having problems logging into the site. Maybe those problems persisted. Maybe my form of tough love pushed him away from us... forever.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 am
My podcasts are each week

Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo Film reviews
Hilarious BBC film duo

Filmspotting
Film reviews from Chicago

KCRW's The treatment
Elvis Mitchell Film interviews

Mac Observers geek Guide

Mac OS ken

MacCast

5 Live Football daily
BBC soccer update

Best of today
BBC world news

Stephen Fry
Witty stuff from a great raconteur

That's it
Rob

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Filmspotting

5 Live Football daily
BBC soccer update

Rob

Filmspotting is great and I'd recommend it to any film fan. I think I posted a thread about here awhile back.

5 Live is good too but I never listen to the podcast. From time to time I catch it on Sirius. Even if I can't follow the leagues I like that this show isn't EPL centric and that people call in and talk about clubs from all divisions (some clubs I haven't even heard of).

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 am
I don't have any pod to cast to, but I do listen to the BBC World Service while driving. Their arts programme, The Strand, is quite good. The "best of The Strand" is available in podcast form as Global Arts and Entertainment.

From the site: Global Arts and Entertainment is the weekly compilation of the best of The Strand. The Strand is the home of arts and entertainment on the BBC World Service, presented by Harriett Gilbert and Mark Coles. The Strand covers the most exciting and interesting music, books, films, architecture, dance, cultural events and big name interviews from all corners of the globe.

Linky:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/globalarts/

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:03 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Filmspotting

5 Live Football daily
BBC soccer update

Rob

Filmspotting is great and I'd recommend it to any film fan. I think I posted a thread about here awhile back.

5 Live is good too but I never listen to the podcast. From time to time I catch it on Sirius. Even if I can't follow the leagues I like that this show isn't EPL centric and that people call in and talk about clubs from all divisions (some clubs I haven't even heard of).

5 Live Football phone in is also wonderful - the passion!
Rob

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Filmspotting

I checked this one out today and immediately became a fan. It was episode #292 on Fish Tank, Ninotchka and Teen Rebels. Very clever duo, the hosts. Their insights along with the laid-back "let's see where this conversation takes us" attitude is just about perfect -- far from the pandering I would have (unreasonably) expected. Great recommendation!

Some months back I checked out the Filmspotting forum and found myself overwhelmed with the activity on it -- lists, threads counting to ten-thousand, and millions of other ways in. Stymied by the choices I ended up taking a hike before logging even one post. Always amazed to find how much I really don't know about movies.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:00 am
I love Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment as well--dare I say it's far more indespensible than anything he did during his tenure for The New York Times. And on a completely different note, I love The Adam Carolla Podcast as well -- it's unhinged, vintage Carolla, which may be a great thing or a bad thing depending on your opinion of the host.

I must concede, however, my post in this thread is a bit selfish. My friend and I just started up a movies podcast, The BucketCast, yesterday. You can find it on iTunes (preferably!) or at my website (link). In the first episode, we review Cop Out, The Crazies, and Black Dynamite. We also discuss AMC Theatres' threatening to boycott Alice in Wonderland and our disdain for the low exhibition standards of a local chain. Look for it every week!

OK, shameless plug over and I hope it wasn't out of line -- but I think it's something that folks on this forum would enjoy. Let me know!

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:58 pm
That's not shameless at all. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions guys and keep 'em coming.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 pm
Critic

The AV Club does 2 that I like:

Every Friday they do AV Talk http://www.avclub.com/features/av-talk/) in which their film critics hash out the major new release(s) of the week, and also on Friday they have "Hatecast" (http://www.avclub.com/features/hatecast/) in which this snarky woman with a hot voice rants about what's particularly loathe-worthy this week

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 pm
Danny Baldwin wrote:
I love Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment as well--dare I say it's far more indespensible than anything he did during his tenure for The New York Times. And on a completely different note, I love The Adam Carolla Podcast as well -- it's unhinged, vintage Carolla, which may be a great thing or a bad thing depending on your opinion of the host.

I must concede, however, my post in this thread is a bit selfish. My friend and I just started up a movies podcast, The BucketCast, yesterday. You can find it on iTunes (preferably!) or at my website (link). In the first episode, we review Cop Out, The Crazies, and Black Dynamite. We also discuss AMC Theatres' threatening to boycott Alice in Wonderland and our disdain for the low exhibition standards of a local chain. Look for it every week!

OK, shameless plug over and I hope it wasn't out of line -- but I think it's something that folks on this forum would enjoy. Let me know!

Good traffic builder dude, join a film forum and promote - I like it
I'll check it out - but do hang around
Rob

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Adam and Joe
Dave Gorman

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm
Director

Movie B.S. with Bayer and Snider

Into the Night With Tony Bruno

The Spill Crew

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:16 pm
Profile YIM
All BBC:

Kermode and Mayo Film Reviews
Friday Night Comedy
The Daily Bacon
Desert Island Discs

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm
Director

The Signal (http://www.serenityfirefly.com)

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:04 pm
I'll second Filmspotting and This American Life.

Ones I also listen to:

Nerdist (Chris Hardwick, Jonah Ray, and Matt Myra talk with celebrities and amongst themselves about nerdy things, comedy, and other fun things)

Comedy Death-Ray Radio (Scott Aukerman hosts a radio show with a few funny songs, comedians talking and playing improv games, and playing characters)

The BS Report (Bill Simmons "The Sports Guy" and normally a guest talk about sports and pop culture)

The Moth (Weekly presentation of 5-20 minute stories without notes/props/music about a multitude of topics)

WTF with Marc Maron (Comedian Marc Maron talks to other comedians/personalities but normally about personal issues and process. Fascinating look inside comedy/hollywood)

Doug Loves Movies (Doug Benson "Super High Me" and three panelists talk about movies and play the Leonard Maltin game. (We should play that here but I have an Android phone so I can't download the app and don't have the book))

Sklarbro Country (The Sklar Brothers from Cheap Seats talk about recent sports stories, have a guest and then have a "sports figure" normally voiced by Chris Cox like Tiger Woods, Jerry Jones, etc.)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:06 pm