Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Gamers? 
Post Gamers?
I am an avid gamer myself. I have a gaming PC, but the only game I play online is WoW, and Dawn of War. I prefer to play most online games on my 360 or PS3. I am currently playing Resistance 2 online if there are any of you who play let me know.

Other favorites are:

Burnout Paradise(360)
CoD 4(360)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:44 pm
Post Re: Gamers?
I'm mostly into RPGs, myself. I just love a game that can weave a really gripping storyline. I also love the huge timesink a single RPG can provide. I dunno why, but a game that can keep me busy for more than 40 hours is a good game to me. My favorites are Final Fantasies VIII, X, and XII, as well as Xenosaga.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm
I'm a gamer but I'm usually a generation behind, at least I have my happiness in my PS2 and GameCube.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:51 pm
Same here, in fact I hardly play my brother's Xbox 360 and my Wii. My PS2, however has gotten more game time in the past couple months than any other console I own, other than maybe my old N64, which I also love. The PS2, however, is probably the best console in gaming history for RPGs.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:53 pm
I have a Wii and a 360. I only get to play for about an hour and a half every day (my parents...). I play Halo 3 online most of the time. Sometimes I will play DDR.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:29 pm
I am not a hardcore gamer, no online play for me, but I frequently play Madden 09 and Gears Of War 2 on my 360, always looking for new games to play. The problem for me is that I do not like dishing out 60 dollars every time I want to play a game, I feel like they are way overpriced.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 pm
As the years go by, I've been falling more and more out of love with video/computer games. Board games, on the other hand, have practically taken over my life.

Listening to a 12 year-old kid gloat over my dead body in Gears of War isn't my idea of fun any more. I'd much rather spend my time sowing the seeds of doubt and distrust among my friends as a secret Cylon agent in the new Battlestar Galactica game. I'd much rather play something like the classic Dune game, where the circumstances of the story are predetermined, but the narrative is determined by the interaction between the players, than an RPG which basically puts you in the position of a spectator.

That said, I've been enjoying Dead Space quite a bit. It's a perfect example of how video games can work as a creative medium in the same way that movies do. It's atmospheric, tense, and immersive. I also can't wait for Resident Evil 5. If it's even half as gripping and exciting as the last game in the series, I just might be spending more time with a controller in my hands.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 pm
Avid game lover, although I rarely actually muster the time to play through most games :?

But I'm actually replaying a relic from the past: Chrono Trigger DS. This game is just timeless (pardon the pun) as it has held up so well. Despite it being a direct port without any enhanced upgrades, I've been hooked on it over everything else. Just a solid effort with a great story, lovable cast of characters and gorgeous soundtrack.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm
I love video games, but I've been too busy and too focused on other things to play anything too new. The last new game I got into was Gran Theft Auto IV, so I still need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, No More Heroes, and a lot of others. I'm a big survival horror fan, so the game to break this weird slump I'm in will be Resident Evil 5.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm
Quote:
But I'm actually replaying a relic from the past: Chrono Trigger DS. This game is just timeless (pardon the pun) as it has held up so well. Despite it being a direct port without any enhanced upgrades, I've been hooked on it over everything else. Just a solid effort with a great story, lovable cast of characters and gorgeous soundtrack.

AWESOME :D

This game made my life back in the day and I think with all the focus on fancy shmancy graphics these days nothing has come close to replicating the success and captivation of this piece of work. The broad array of characters, side quests, and so forth. Imagine a movie adaptation..

I remember being into Final Fantasy 8 around the same time, surprisingly two very similar games.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:25 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
Quote:

AWESOME :D

This game made my life back in the day and I think with all the focus on fancy shmancy graphics these days nothing has come close to replicating the success and captivation of this piece of work. The broad array of characters, side quests, and so forth. Imagine a movie adaptation..

I remember being into Final Fantasy 8 around the same time, surprisingly two very similar games.

Yep, that was during my heyday of gaming too, FFVII, FFVIII, Chrono Trigger... they all take me back to that time. The whole time-travelling mechanic of CT is what makes it so unique and special; who could've thought that those sprites can still stand with the best of them to this day? ;)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:18 pm
Little Dragon wrote:
Avid game lover, although I rarely actually muster the time to play through most games :?

Doesn't the DS version have a new dungeon? And if so, isn't that an upgrade?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm
Patrick wrote:
Doesn't the DS version have a new dungeon? And if so, isn't that an upgrade?

Oh, well yeah, there are some minor enhancements, but my comment was more referencing any upgrades to the extent of something like FFIV DS, which got a complete graphical overhaul and voice acting, among other things. Chrono Trigger got tweaked here and there, but the core game is essentially identical in look and play mechanics to its release back in '95.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm
I like fighting games, particularly Capcom's stuff. I mainly play Capcom Vs. SNK 2 and Super Street Fighter II Turbo. I've dabbled in competitive CvS2, but I'll play anything in or related to the Street Fighter series for my own amusement.

And no, I haven't had the good fortune to play Street Fighter HD or Street Fighter IV yet. I'm hoping to change that soon.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:20 pm
Speaking of old RPGs, don't tell me I'm the only one here who thinks FFVIII is better than FFVII. Anyone else of the same mind?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 pm
The only games I really play are Rock Band and Grand Theft Auto 4, but I play them pretty often. Sometimes Call of Duty.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 pm
My favorite RPG PS2 is Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Kingdom Hearts is also a very fun game to play.

I played Neverwinter Nights (PC game) years ago and really liked it.

I'm currently playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on PS3. It's my first PS3 game (aside from Rock Band). So far I'm enjoying it.

Currently addicted to Mario Kart Nintendo DS.

Need to see a doctor for sore thumbs...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:00 am
SORocker wrote:
Speaking of old RPGs, don't tell me I'm the only one here who thinks FFVIII is better than FFVII. Anyone else of the same mind?

FFVIII got a lot of blacklash for its junction system if I recall, but overall I thought it was good (I never beat Omega Weapon though :P). FFVII was personally my first RPG, so it has a special place, although I can't deny that it has been milked to death and its popularity can be a turn-off.

I'd want a more classic-themed RPG like those of the 16-bit era. FFIX was a kind of tribute to those ones, with its eclectic cast and traditional elements, but it seems to be a forgotten entry that most people shun and ignore. The mishmash of sci-fi elements, extravangant costumes and over-the-top worlds in today's RPGs are becoming tiresome for me. The commercial and merchandising appeal of the games seem to be more prominent than anything else.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 am
sheryl wrote:
My favorite RPG PS2 is Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Kingdom Hearts is also a very fun game to play.

I played Neverwinter Nights (PC game) years ago and really liked it.

I'm currently playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on PS3. It's my first PS3 game (aside from Rock Band). So far I'm enjoying it.

Currently addicted to Mario Kart Nintendo DS.

Need to see a doctor for sore thumbs...

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was an amazing game! I played through that so many times. Neverwinter Nights was really good too, but I am a total whore for everything that Bioware does. Have you looked into their new one, Dragon Age? Looks to be getting back to their CRPG roots.

Drake's Fortune was pure fun. I think the voice acting is some of the best I have heard.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:11 am
haha, I wish I could say the same thing as Patrick - I'd love to be able to have the patience to stay behind a generation or two - most likely would get the games and systems at low costs!

But alas, I've picked up a Wii and PS3. Good times though. I still have and play the ps2, SNES, and N64, as well as countless titles downloaded off of the Wii's Virtual Console.

For ps3, my playstation network name is M-arcusR for anyone who is online and would like to add me. (just send me a quick message saying you're from the reelviews board so I know you're not just some random lol)

Currently playing Little Big Planet (freakin amazing), and GTA4.
rock on

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:48 am