Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:02 am

Top 10 Videogames (All systems welcome) 
Post Top 10 Videogames (All systems welcome)
Patrick: I wasn't sure if I should throw this in open forum or lists, so I'm going with lists.

Very simple, give me your favorite video games and what system you loved them on. I'll start.

10. Mortal Kombat - Arcade
9. Super Tecmo Bowl - Nintendo
8. General Chaos - Sega Genesis
7. Golden Axe 2 - Arcade
6. NBA Jam - Sega Genesis
5. Super Mario World - SNES
4. Metal Gear Solid - Playstation
3. Final Fantasy 12 - Ps2
2. Halo (1 and 3 are a virtual tie for me) Xbox / 360
1. Final Fantasy VII - Playstation

Honorable Mentions:

Resident Evil 4 - Ps2
Toe Jam and Earl - SNES
MarioKart (All Nintendo Systems)
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball - Nintendo 64
Gears of War - Xbox 360
Call of Duty 4 - Xbox 360
John Madden Football (All Editions)
Mega Man X - SNES

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm
Post Re: Top 10 Videogames (All systems welcome)
I put it in Open Forum cause the lists is for movies.

And I'm actually making a Top 100 video game list...it's harder than I thought.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 pm
Wow. I'm scratching my head. This task is a difficult one. I could only come up with eight games but will add to the list if something comes to me. These are the definitive 8 games of my life, games that I've played more than any other. The amount of time I spent playing these games is sad. No wonder I was never a hit with the ladies during my youngster/teen years.

Chrono Trigger - SNES
Madden Series - PS2
Mega Man 2 - NES
Mike Tyson's Punch Out - NES
Mutant League Hockey - Genesis
Tecmo Super Bowl - NES
WCW/nWo Revenge - N64
X-Men - Arcade

Last edited by Bondurant on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm
Some of my personal favorites:

Soul Calibur
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Final Fantasy X
Super Mario 64
GoldenEye
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Gears Of War
NBA 2K3
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
Halo 2 (Multiplayer)
Fallout 3 (new, but nevertheless sensational video game)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 am
Some of my favorites are:
Mass Effect
Grand Theft Auto IV
Far Cry
Sonic Adventure 2
Max Payne
Dead To Rights
Far Cry Instincts:Predator
Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) (I know i'll get a ton of weird looks for this one)
Far Cry 2
Max Payne 2
Sonic CD
Vectorman

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 am
Vexer wrote:

How's the loading times? Is it bad as I heard(too lazy to read/watch the Let's Play of this...apparently the game drove the makers insane)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:47 am
I couldn't do a Top 100 so here's my top 50

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4. Resident Evil 4 (GC)
5. Jak II (PS2)
6. God of War (PS2)
7. Star Fox 64 (N64)
8. Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC)
9. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
10. Super Mario 64 (N64)
11. Mega Man X (SNES)
12. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
13. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
14. Sonic Adventure (DC)
15. Banjo Kazooie (N64)
16. Metroid Prime (GC)
17. Perfect Dark (N64)
18. Max Payne 2 (XBOX)
19. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
20. Super Mario World (SNES)
21. Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN)
22. Wild Arms (PS1)
23. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
24. Grandia II (DC)
25. Halo (XBOX)
26. Final Fight (SNES)
27. Kingdom Hearts II (Ps2)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
30. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
31. Super Smash Brothers (N64)
32. Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
33. Mega Man X2 (SNES)
34. Paper Mario (N64)
35. God of War II (PS2)
36. Mischief Makers (N64)
37. Goldeneye (N64)
38. Rock Band (XBOX360)
39. Tetris (NES)
40. Lufia II (SNES)
41. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64)
42. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
43. Toy Story (SNES)
44. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)
45. Tomba (PS1)
46. Banjo Tooie (N64)
47. Jak 3 (PS2)
48. Tales of Symphonia (GC)
49. Jet Force Gemini (N64)
50. Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:53 am
Vexer wrote:

You certainly got a raised eyebrow from me. I’m not sure if I’ve met someone who’s enjoyed that game.

Anyways, my top ten:

1. Another World
2. Beyond Good and Evil
3. Rocket Knight Adventures
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
5. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
6. God Hand
7. The World Ends With You
8. Final Fantasy IX
9. Cave Story
10. Devil May Cry 3

I might change it later, since I’m probably forgetting a few.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 am
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I forgot about Zelda, Goldeneye, and God of War. Man I made that list way too hastily.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 am
I haven't really played a video game since 1991, maybe. A very little bit in college (this toward the end of the 90s). I stand by my list, made in complete sincerity using only my fond memories of hours spent not not playing video games.

1. Space Quest III (PC)
2. Space Quest IV (PC)
3. Ultima (NES)
4. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
5. King's Quest (PC)
6. Rise of the Dragon (PC)
7. Super Mario Land (SNES)
8. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
9. Space Quest
10. Pac-Man (Arcade)

I have yet to play a game on anything introduced since the first Playstation. That includes the first Playstation. Clearly I don't belong on this thread. But I still love those Sierra games for the PC even if they're nothing more than dinosaurs.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:42 am
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:

How's the loading times? Is it bad as I heard(too lazy to read/watch the Let's Play of this...apparently the game drove the makers insane)

Eh, there not too bad, about 10-15 seconds each, they are kinda annoying at first but you get used to them after awhile, and they certainly shouldn't get in the way of your overall enjoyment of the game. Aside form the loading times though, i seriously don't get all the hate for that game, I didn't encounter any glitches in the game, like many other people seemed to. I also enjoyed the widely hated Shadow The Hedgehog.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 am
Vexer wrote:

If you're an alter, this is the most brilliant forum coup since ed_metal_head killed aameen and hid the body in the back of the 'Great Movies' forum (don't bother looking - Orson was hungry...).

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:47 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:

If you're an alter, this is the most brilliant forum coup since ed_metal_head killed aameen and hid the body in the back of the 'Great Movies' forum (don't bother looking - Orson was hungry...).

You can believe whatever the hell yu want to believe since you seem to have it out for me no matter what I say, but it's the truth, I like that game OK? It's actually the game that convinced to buy a 360 in the first place, since the Sonic series was my introduction to vdeio games, if it weren't for this game being on the 360, I wouldn't have experienced the many great games the 360 had to offer so I have this game to thank for that.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 am
Oh something I can actually contribute to (I write for a videogame website)

Note: RPG's are my favorite genre and FF is king.

1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
3. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version has a better script and graphics, but technical issues abound whereas the PS1 version has less technical issues and an Engrish script. Take your pick)
4. Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
5. Chrono Cross (PS1)
6. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
7. Resident Evil 4 (Wii version is the best one, but its also a tad easier thanks to the Wiimote)
8. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
9. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)
10. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Honorable Mentions: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts II, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War I & II, and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:09 am
Blace wrote:
1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)

If we never agree on anything, fall in love with the same woman and end up dueling one another, or end up on two rival bands (me of course being a Mod-rocker), we will always have this. This is undeniably my favorite video game of all time. I dare any poster to deny it's emotional breadth, impact, or majestic splendor. It is simply amazing, and if not perfect, it is almost certainly the best game I have ever played - it's claws sink deep within me each time I sit down and give it another go.

P.S. - Who here has actually fought (and defeated) Nemesis?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Blace wrote:
1. Final Fantasy X (PS2)

If we never agree on anything, fall in love with the same woman and end up dueling one another, or end up on two rival bands (me of course being a Mod-rocker), we will always have this. This is undeniably my favorite video game of all time. I dare any poster to deny it's emotional breadth, impact, or majestic splendor. It is simply amazing, and if not perfect, it is almost certainly the best game I have ever played - it's claws sink deep within me each time I sit down and give it another go.

P.S. - Who here has actually fought (and defeated) Nemesis?

I'm so glad someone else sees the quality in this game. Every time I try to have a civil conversation about favorite videogames and mention this people think I'm crazy. They immediately mention the "laughing" scene and call Tidus an unlikeable and annoying brat. I think he is quite possibly the best character I have ever come across in a video game and his personality building and emotional complexity that he has towards his dad is nothing but extraordinary. Not to mention the music in this game is just plain beautiful. Auron is also BA. Just typing this makes me want to replay this gem (for the 4th time).

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 am
Yes, I'm primarily a PC gamer. Also, I like rpgs. How could you guess? I tried to limit myself to only one instance of a series, otherwise half the list would probably consist of Thief and System Shock games. Also, this thing will vary from moment to moment, although the top six are constants.

10. UFO: Enemy Unknown -- PC. Or X-COM: UFO Defense. Nailbiting tactical combat where disaster looms every second, and it's simply incredible compulsive.
9. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time -- PS2. Excellent story, great platforming puzzles, cool time manipulation mechanics...and fair enough, slightly ropey combat, but I'll forgive it that because everything else is just so perfect. Every other entry in the series just makes me shake my head though.
8. No One Lives Forever -- PC. Jumping out of planes without a parachute! Evil Vacuum cleaner salesmen! Bare-knuckle fights with drunk scotsmen! Exploding goats! Monkeys! Probably the most idea- and personality-filled shooter in existence. The fact that Cate Archer isn't a gaming mainstay just makes me incredibly sad.
7. Rome: Total War -- PC. Some strategy gamers malign the Total War series for being too populist and not clever enough, but fuck them. I just want to see elephant cavalry be spooked by burning pigs, making them stampede through massed ranks of thousands of soldiers.
6. ICO -- PS2. Holding hands with girls is fun! Also, it made me cry at the end.
5. Fallout -- PC. The game that got me propely hooked on rpgs. Razor sharp laconic black humour, cool asthetic, and a combat system that lets you specifically target the crotch of your enemies.
4. Planescape: Torment -- PC. One of the most literate games ever. An epic rpg that shockingly does not have saving the world as the ultimate goal, makes the protagonist being an amnesiac not seem trite, and is not set in a cod-fantasy universe. Amazing!
3. System Shock 2 -- PC. "L-l-look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?" SHODAN is the finest villain in gaming, and the games are excellent survival horror.
2. Baldur's Gate 2 -- PC. Still Bioware's finest hour. The moment in chapter 2 when you're let loose in Athkatla with this enormous world to explore is simply breathtaking.
1. Thief: Gold -- PC. The first in the series is still my favourite. It has the best balance between story and gameplay, and the right mix of the mundane and supernatural horror. Garrett is a fantastic protagonist, and the thing just drips atmosphere from every pore.

Honorable mentions:

Deus Ex -- PC. A game I respect more than love, but I do respect the hell ut of this game. It doesn't excell at shooting, or stealth gameplay, or well anything, but the way it lets you tackle any situation the way you want is ok with me. Also, more games need to go around quoting Voltaire, refering to the situationst movement, and tell you off for sneaking into the ladies' room.
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines -- PC. The state it was released in was indefensible, and even with all the unofficial patches it still falls apart into a combat-ridden slog at the end. Still, the first two thirds are amazing, the world it creates is incredibly evocative, and it remains the best bash at a Deus Ex style rpg since, well, Deus Ex.
Shadow of the Colossus -- PS2. One the most beautiful games ever, one of the few games that is carried almost entirely by the fantastic presentation.
Outcast -- PC. Bizarro belgian adventure on an alien planet, one of those weird things people never attempt anymore because they're afraid of forcing people to learn bits of alien language. I'm slightly afraid of going back to it, because of the wonky voxel tech they used will probably look horrible now. Still, I'll always have the memories of ambushing patrols and bounding across the landscape on a dinosaur back.
Beyond Good & Evil -- PC. Well, it's probably better played on a console, but I did play it on a PC. Excellent Zelda-style adventure. Also, I have a crush on Jade.
Metroid Prime -- Gamecube. It's not a shooter, it's a first person platformer. One of the few that has managed to make that work.
Half-Life 2 -- PC. Well, everyone and their sister has played this. No explanation should be needed.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 am
4 more I forgot to mention-Metroid Prime, The Orange Box, Saints Row and Saints Row 2.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 am
Ok, I gotta offer up my list, especially since I still like to play video games today. Here they are in no particular order:

Fallout 3(PC) - Easily the best game in the past year for me.
Half Life 2(PC) - The best FPS-type game of all time as far as I'm concerned.
Mortal Kombat 2(Arcade) - This was the peak of the MK franchise, IMO, and a damn good game.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(N64) - Easily the best Zelda game ever made, IMO.
Metal Gear Solid(PS1) - This is a title that I spent too much time playing on the 1st Playstation.
Resident Evil 2(PS1) - IMO, this was the best game of the RE franchise.
Silent Hill(PS1) - The scariest video game I've ever played
Warcraft 3(PC) - This game helped define RTS games and of course led to the ubiquitous WoW.
World of Warcraft(PC) - There's a reason that 11 million people played this game at one point.
Diablo 2(PC) - The whole action-RPS was largely defined by this franchise.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:50 pm
Yeah WOW for me is a really hard game to place. I played it for a few months and got so into it, it was overwhelming and I eventually had to cancel my account. That game is like nerd crack and I ate it up. I don't know if I personally would throw it on my top 10, because to me it wasn't a great game it was just the atmosphere and competition that made it so addicting.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:51 pm