It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Tell Me What To Read 
Post Re: Tell Me What To Read
I'm reading Watchmen right now.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 am
Talisker wrote:
Goubot wrote:
Test audiences apparently hated it the first time (for how little that's worth) and they scrambled to make some edits.

I can't wait to see the new happy ending :roll:

McCarthy liked it and he doesn't abide happy endings (as far as I've seen, anyway).

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:44 pm
Talisker wrote:
Goubot wrote:
Test audiences apparently hated it the first time (for how little that's worth) and they scrambled to make some edits.

Were you kidding or are they actually changing the ending? It's perfect as it is.

As an aside, I think casting Viggo was a pretty good choice.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am
DAR wrote:
I'm reading Watchmen right now.

I'm re-reading Watchmen. My first reading went quickly because I couldn't wait to find out what happens next. Now, I'm taking my time and savoring each panel. I'm paying more attention to the illustration this time.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:59 am
My most recently read books were Dennis Lehane's Mystic River and Prayers for Rain, the latter of which is, of course, the final book in the Patrick Kenzie/Angie Gennaro detective series, which includes Gone Baby Gone. I read the other books in the series over the summer mostly. I'll read anything by Lehane.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 am
oafolay, hot recommendation. Will try for sure. Ta!

So, am rereading Kane & Abel. Read it in my early teens and can't believe how much I am enjoying my mid twenties re-read.

Also, Martin Misunderstood was LOVELY. At under 150 words, you will read it in an afternoon. Well worth it.

Lastly, I am up to my last book in the John Marsden "Tomorrow" series - I know, I know, it is teen fiction. But have you read that shit? It is sensational.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Talisker wrote:
Goubot wrote:

Were you kidding or are they actually changing the ending? It's perfect as it is.

As an aside, I think casting Viggo was a pretty good choice.

Father and son catch a ride on the beach caravan last seen at the end of Mad Max 2 while Mel sits atop a cross watching the caravan dissapear into the sunset. All smiles and giggles. Test audiences loved it.

Was reading Stephenson's Crytonomicon but 900 pages is a pain to carry on the subway (where most of my reading is done). Reserved for the bedside table and replaced with Day of the Triffids. So far so good. Classy 70s scifi. Also recently enjoyed Shteyngart's Absurdistan. Kind of a mix between Confederacy of Dunces and Notes from the Underground (maybe). All Murakami is good but Windup Bird Chronicles is best. Good Omens is a blast (cowritten by Gaiman). Read Watchmen, enjoyed it, went out and got Batman Returns and The League of Extrodinary Gentlemen; Black Dossier. Not generally a comic guy but all 3 were very readable and suprisingly complex (Batman Returns was a big suprise...very entertaining, very mature).

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:22 am
there's a review of a book about dorothy wordsworth (william wordsworth's sister) in the nytimes today. it sounds interesting. might be worth taking a look.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/books/25garn.html

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 pm
Just picked up the new Christoper Moore book.....Fool. I'm a big fan of his humor. My favorite by him is Lamb. Also just finished World War Z by Max Brooks for the second time after I heard it was being optioned into a movie. It's the account of the Zombie wars for those who enjoy that kind of thing

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:01 pm
bob harris wrote:
Just picked up the new Christoper Moore book.....Fool. I'm a big fan of his humor. My favorite by him is Lamb. Also just finished World War Z by Max Brooks for the second time after I heard it was being optioned into a movie. It's the account of the Zombie wars for those who enjoy that kind of thing

Did you see the concept art of The Battle of Yonkers? Well, not really concept art for the movie but it's like the artist's application to do real concept art for the WWZ movie. It's so awesome it'll blow your mind.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 pm
Patrick wrote:
bob harris wrote:

Did you see the concept art of The Battle of Yonkers? Well, not really concept art for the movie but it's like the artist's application to do real concept art for the WWZ movie. It's so awesome it'll blow your mind.

NO? Where did you see it?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:40 pm
bob harris wrote:
Patrick wrote:
bob harris wrote:

NO? Where did you see it?

I saw it on Joblo.com but it was about a month ago...lemme see if I can find it. And it looks like I did:

http://io9.com/5140561/world-war-z-concept-art-rocks-the-battle-of-yonkers

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:45 pm
I saw it on Joblo.com but it was about a month ago...lemme see if I can find it. And it looks like I did:

http://io9.com/5140561/world-war-z-concept-art-rocks-the-battle-of-yonkers[/quote]

WOW! Thanks for sharing that! I cannot wait to see if they can pull this off.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:10 pm