Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:12 pm

The original music thread. 
Producer

Post Re: The original music thread.
My band is currently the #4 most popular rock band in the Lansing area on Reverbnation.com. If everyone here could go to our Reverbnation page and listen to a couple songs, it'll give us a big hand in climbing even higher. Please and thank you.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Some of the albums I heard and loved in Jan and Feb. (Disclaimer: These are almost all the albums I listened to in the two months. It's not like I heard 10 albums of which I am listing some. I usually only buy albums I think I will enjoy.)

Everything Everything - Arc - They're from Manchester and this is their sophomore effort, and the first album of theirs I listened to. Arguably the most eclectic record of 2013 so far, it also warrants multiple listens because of the depth some of the songs have in terms of their sounds. And at 19 songs (including the Itunes bonus edition songs), what is amazing is that there isn't a single dud to be found; it never really feels too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjKcmZGhUrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKMfJ8cZoQ

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away - This is one I've been listening to a lot recently, but I still don't know what to make of it. There's a psychedelic quality to some of the songs, but what struck me was that none of them seemed too heavy on sounds. All the songs are very soft, melodious, and minimal in terms of structure. Yet almost all them linger in your heads for a long time. Here's the album's first single for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjF57zEbxpI

Villagers - {Awayland} - Song-for-song, this is flat out the best album of 2013 for me. If you check out my Last FM page, I've "loved" all of the songs from this album. That is how much I adore this freaking thing. This is definitely a folkish record though; some of the songs reminded me of something Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes fame) would do. (In fact, it is a weird coincidence that this album's song-writer (Conor O'Brien) shares first names with that guy.) Yet there's so much to take from it that one listen doesn't do it justice. Take something like The Waves for example. It starts out slowly and peacefully but morphs into a high-energy romp by the end. Earthly Pleasures, Judgment Call, Nothing Arrived are some of my favorites, but all of them have something to offer. Check out some of the songs below and see if you like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mc0I6cchCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEzRraYgA8

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious - This is the first Eels album I've listened to, and I am loving it. I bought the Deluxe Edition off of Itunes which has a lot of Live songs from previous albums. So you may want to check out the standard album if it's not your thing. I don't have anything to say about it though. I've only listened to it once or twice but not enough to form a concrete opinion. Reviews seem to think this is the most positive Eels record, and that it is. Almost all the songs are upbeat both in terms of lyrics and music. First two singles for you perusal below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vS_By_ZZ0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJASwBQ3qM

Others I've listened to are Biffy Clyro's Opposites which I haven't made anything of. It is a huge record inclusive of all the bonus tracks and quite frankly I haven't been able to listen to it all in one sitting so far. But it is also worth checking out. It is definitely more darker than anything I've listened to this year, but the music is definitely interesting. Their first single is Black Chandelier.

And if there are any The Smiths fans out there, Johnny Marr has come out with his first solo album - The Messengers. I've given it a once over and everything seems nice on its own, but I don't know how it all comes together. All of it also had a heard-it-already quality to them. We'll see how it fares on multiple listens.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Producer

New song from Chemical Edge: "Tsunami Tsurfing"

Take a listen if you get a minute.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 pm
Ken wrote:
New song from Chemical Edge: "Tsunami Tsurfing"

Take a listen if you get a minute.

Great stuff! I agree with the comments and then some: great and very tight drumming, smooth guitar, great vocals, wonderful bass, "detuned analog oscillator"-style solo synth fits right in.
I really llooovve the production sound. The very opposite of so much glassy and metallic sounding stuff these days. Very nice, round, fat and sweet lower mids without anything sounding boomy or boxy (not easy to achieve), nice hi-mids without sounding shrill (again: not easy to achieve) and a sweet subtle phasing effect going through the mix adding to the hypnotic quality. Sounds like vaccum tube and class A solid state equipment. If that sound has been made all "in the box" just with software, please tell the guy who is responsible for the sound/mix/mastering: he is ace! If not, tell him the exact same! Love it!

If you find my comment too patronizing, just ignore it. I'm an old guy ya know, we folks just talk like that.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 am
Producer

Thanks for the compliments. Our stuff is a mixture of software and modern equipment. Our drummer does have a very nice selection of microphones and our keyboardist is a big Reason/Propellerhead tinkerer, so the production is pretty much their baby. I'll let them know what you said.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:46 am
Producer

More new music: "Downtown"

I realize this one's been posted before, but not this version. We've got a whole album's worth of tracks on the way, including overhauled and finalized versions of all four songs from our EP.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
More new music: "Downtown"

I realize this one's been posted before, but not this version. We've got a whole album's worth of tracks on the way, including overhauled and finalized versions of all four songs from our EP.

That's a good track Ken. I could definitely jam that. Keep it up!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am
Producer

Here are some more new recordings if anyone's interested in listening. These are the last of the songs that were originally on our demo EP, which we've re-recorded for our forthcoming album in addition to probably six brand new songs.

"Hellacious Fellacious"
"Chemical Edge"
"Hawk"

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm
Producer

I had nothing to do with this particular piece... but he is my drummer, so I feel like claiming some kind of credit for him.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

It's for a Guitar Center competition, by the by.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 pm
Producer

I just made this video.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:56 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken, Any chance of buying the Chemical Edge's music digitally? I checked out your official website, but couldn't find any proper info, besides your teaser video. I absolutely loved Tsunami Tsurfing.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Producer

We are working on digital distribution and possibly an online store for physical merch, but we probably won't announce anything until we've got some definite details.

Thanks for the compliment on Tsunami Tsurfing--AKA the one where I play the same chord until my hand is a gnarled claw!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 am
Producer

Two question, Ken

1. If it doesn't change my life forever, am I owed some form of compensation by yourself?

2. What are the groupies like?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:14 am
Producer

1. No. But it's moot, since the change has already begun.

2. Few and far in between.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:59 pm