Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Van Halen 
Post Re: Van Halen
FWIW, Michael Anthony was one of the premier harmony / background vocalists in all of rock and roll.

And as a bassist, no one is worse than Adam Clayton, except maybe my brother :P

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm
The AV Club interviews Sammy Hagar. I suppose this is related to the discussion at hand:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/sammy-hagar,54130/

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:37 pm
I guess Sam isn't buying the rumors that Van Halen's new album is currently in post-production.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:58 pm
I don't like Van Halen, never have...never will. I'll admit I haven't given them enough of a chance probably, I bought a "Greatest Hits" CD or something a few years back...listened through a couple times and that was it. I couldn't tell you any names of the songs, I couldn't tell you what "era" any of them were from. But I just don't like them. To me it just doesn't even sound like they were having fun in any of the songs, it all sounded formulaic and blah. I just remember thinking "really?! that's it?! That's what all the ruckus is about?!" Again, I have no problem with my opinion not being taken seriously since I clearly haven't been exposed to enough Van Halen, but that's a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

I like a lot of music too, anything from Robert Johnson to hell...techno of any sort. Oh well whaddya gonna do?

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 pm
Colin wrote:
I don't like Van Halen, never have...never will. I'll admit I haven't given them enough of a chance probably, I bought a "Greatest Hits" CD or something a few years back...listened through a couple times and that was it. I couldn't tell you any names of the songs, I couldn't tell you what "era" any of them were from. But I just don't like them. To me it just doesn't even sound like they were having fun in any of the songs, it all sounded formulaic and blah. I just remember thinking "really?! that's it?! That's what all the ruckus is about?!" Again, I have no problem with my opinion not being taken seriously since I clearly haven't been exposed to enough Van Halen, but that's a good thing as far as i'm concerned.

I like a lot of music too, anything from Robert Johnson to hell...techno of any sort. Oh well whaddya gonna do?

Hot for Teacher sounds unfun, formulaic & blah?

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Hot for Teacher sounds unfun, formulaic & blah?

Just doesn't do anything for me...i'm not saying Van Halen is terrible...I just don't like them is all.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm
Timmy Shoes wrote:
If a band is only as good as it's drummer, then VH is mediocre.

Sorry to be off topic, but I just had to pick up that statement.
There are tons of classic examples of bands where the drummer is technically bad (if they came up with just the right sound is something debatable).
The first example are the Beatles. C'mon noone can convince me that Ringo Starr is a great drummer.
Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is technically very bad - it has been talked (same as Ringo) over and over again - because it's obvious. O.K. O.K. he provides the steady bead, he has soul etc. etc. but he is still a bad drummer.
I will not go into certain other famous bands (which I also like)where I think the drummer is bad.

Bad drumming for me is NOT about simplicity. It's a drummer who tries hard to keep it steady, but he is unable to keep it real stead, just enough not to ruin the band.

A more extreme example is "The Who". Keith Moon didn't even know hoe to vome up with a straight basic rock groove. He basically hit the kick drum, toms and cymbals as if he was playing one huge drum fill all the time. It was bassist John Entwhistle who came up with a technique to provide the notes and the steady groove. To back up my statement: this exact situation is used in the Berklee "Style Writing" course. So it can't be that open to interpretation. Fact is: the end result works.

So there ARE great bands with weak drummers (or those who have a weak technique) - and if the drummer doesn't mess up completely and serves the purpose - it's fine with me.

Phil Collins said in a 1990 interview for a BBC Scotland documentary aut Genesis: Take a bad band with a good drummer and it still sounds good. I'm not that sure. I guess he was selling himself - and the reputation of drummers - a bit. Why not?

My opionion: it all depends on how the band works. The Police were (are?) great to a very large part because of Copeland's great and inventive drumming. He is irreplaceable because he is part of the band's sound.
On the other hand I never liked Supertramp drummer Bob Siebenberg, who always sounded nothing more than a good session drummer with his chops together, but he never really put any soul into it (or so it sounds to my ears).

I am talking about rather "straight" rock drummers of course. If you start with jazz/fusion you get to some guys who are so incredibly good, they won't fit into any band even if they tried - that's why they do clinics, workshops, demos and lessons on DVD...

Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm
Director

Threeperf35 wrote:

My opionion: it all depends on how the band works. The Police were (are?) great to a very large part because of Copeland's great and inventive drumming. He is irreplaceable because he is part of the band's sound.

YES YES YES. For years I have argued that Copeland was the most important part of The Police's sound; Sting may have written most of the songs, but Copeland made them sound good. For confirmation of this, just listen to Sting's shitty solo music.

Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 am
Copeland is a magnificent drummer, but let's not sell Andy Summers short.

Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 pm
Ken wrote:
Copeland is a magnificent drummer, but let's not sell Andy Summers short.

Andy Summers is total genius. His Telecaster (at least live he always used one that I know of) with the most awesome chorus/delay FX, his beautiful voicings and his great riffs.... No Andy Summers = no The Police. Just imagine: "Every Breath You Take" without Andy's muted guitar riff - impossible. "Doo, doo, doo, daa..." without Andy's full chords and wacky chorus (almost shifting out of tune/pitch but not quite - it's as cool a guitar sound as there ever was). I looove Andy Summers' work to death. I just happened to talk about drummers.

The Police: These guys worked toghether like Swiss precision clockwork, only way, way cool!

Sun May 15, 2011 9:13 pm
As a guitar player, I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the only member of the band unmentioned so far. Even as a supporting character in a three member cast, Summers distinguishes himself. His sense of texture and his attention to the harmonic atmosphere of the songs are utterly crucial. I can't say I'm a big fan of the group, but they are all tremendous musicians.

Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:

YES YES YES. For years I have argued that Copeland was the most important part of The Police's sound; Sting may have written most of the songs, but Copeland made them sound good. For confirmation of this, just listen to Sting's shitty solo music.

Copeland is irreplaceable, but so are Summers and Sting. The Police was (is?) a perfect match with everything in place. Sting tried to go "jazzy/sophisticated" in his solo career. I don't think that was such a great idea, but some songs are fine. Still better than Phil Collins who did the impossible when he was with Genesis (whacking the living hell out of the drums, then running front stage to sing like there was no tomorrow, than back to the drum kit - for like 2 hrs! - try to get the bootleg of the Genesis 1980 London Lyceum gig - it's 100% legal, free and has the band's blessings - after that we talk again about Peter Gabriel). Phil's compositions have no substance, they are just well performed - Collins went the "soul and African music" way - doesn't work, he's a bloke from Southeast London.

Sun May 15, 2011 9:25 pm