Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 pm

The Joaquin Phoenix Saga! 
Post The Joaquin Phoenix Saga!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xK6xz8d9Q

I find this to be a delicious zone-out on Joaquin's part, although I have heard that this might be fake (I have my doubts).

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:50 pm
Post Re: Joaquin Phoenix Vs. David Letterman
I don't know if Joaquin is faking it or if he is seriously drunk/high/both. I think it's pretty obvious from the clip that Dave didn't know what was going on, so if he was faking Letterman wasn't in on the joke. I thought Dave handled it very well though, especially the last line: "Joaquin, sorry you couldn't make it tonight." I was doubled over in laughter!

2009 hasn't been a good year so far for those in the public eye. A-Rod admits steroid use, Christian Bale's rant goes public, Jessica Simpson packs on the pounds, Chris Brown (allegedly) assaults Rihanna, now Joaquin Phoenix. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting too.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:11 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

I find this to be a delicious zone-out on Joaquin's part, although I have heard that this might be fake (I have my doubts).

What do you guys think?

Hi there

I'm not convinced it was fake because of Letterman's increasing irritation and sharp comments near the end.

Phoenix has clearly lost the plot, witness the parody image with clothes, glasses and beard.

I've read that his music is simply awful :-(

Rob

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:12 pm
Phoenix has to be kidding. Did you hear the song he performed at the club the other week? Even with terrible audio quality, you could tell that the song wasn't very good. His stage acting was questionable, too, as his dancing was weird and his tripping and falling seemed staged. I read one insider report that Phoenix is faking it, but it was a questionable source.

All I can say is that if it's a joke, it's almost not funny anymore. It'd be interesting to see Casey Affleck bring a mockumentary/satire out of all this, but if it turns out to be a serious documentary... I don't know. Joaquin needs to get off the sauce if that's the case.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:21 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

What do you guys think?

Hi there

I'm not convinced it was fake because of Letterman's increasing irritation and sharp comments near the end.

Phoenix has clearly lost the plot, witness the parody image with clothes, glasses and beard.

I've read that his music is simply awful :-(

Rob

If this is real, which I'm sure it is, what did you expect? He's a white guy not named Eminem or The Beastie Boys, he's lucky he had his acting career or he'd probably be crucified like Vanilla Ice.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:54 pm
david's question about joaquin's time with the unabomber was funny.
not as funny as the farrah fawcett interview.
still amusing though.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:09 pm
Site Admin

I don't think it's a hoax, as has been postulated. But I don't know whether this is the result of drink/drugs, a complete disaffection with Hollywood, or a loss of sanity. He's burning too many bridges for this to be a publicity stunt. And his behavior is so odd that it wouldn't be at all surprising if he turns up dead.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
I was shocked when I went on Phoenix's imdb boards only to find that the majority of people thought this was a hoax. I couldn't disagree more... this seemed so genuinely bizarre that I don't think it can be chalked up simply to an 'act'.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:55 pm
Honestly, who goes on a talk show to wear sunglasses, chew gum, and only say "yeah"?

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:11 pm
I've gone back and forth on whether it's a hoax or not...

Two best indicators that it might be:
1) The gum seemed too neatly set up by Dave.
2) He snapped and cursed at Paul awfully quickly.

Other than that, watching the interview live in the final moments before I actually had to start work that night was terribly entertaining, though I'm going to feel bad about it if he really does spiral into oblivion.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm
I don't know if any of you guys from the states will be familar with them, but there is a british rapper/DJ Pairing known as 'Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip', they are actually pretty good as far as british hip hop is concerned, I suggest if any of you guys are acutally fans of hip hop that you check them out, Letter From God to Man; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnGNOiFll4 and Look For the Women: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjQxr73k ... re=related are in my opinion there best songs. Anyway, the point is that it seems Joaquin has stolen his 'image' from the rapper of the pairing, Scroobius Pip, and whilst it is not true of the videos linkes, he often wears Glasses on stage too, perhaps its a coincidence, I don't know, but if it is then its definately a big one. The following is a pretty amusing piss-take of the X-Factor, which is britains version of American Idol, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzA1kmH ... re=related

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
I don't think it's a hoax, as has been postulated. But I don't know whether this is the result of drink/drugs, a complete disaffection with Hollywood, or a loss of sanity. He's burning too many bridges for this to be a publicity stunt. And his behavior is so odd that it wouldn't be at all surprising if he turns up dead.

Way to stay optimistic, JB.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:11 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

im convinced it was fake because of that. i think before letterman was acting as though he was in on it. and it was all an act. kind of like when borat(cohen) came on. and after the break, this happened. and im prepared to believe they had a little discussion while we watched commercials and maybe they weren't happy with what the impression that was being given out. because afterwords he(letterman) himself seemed keen to convince us that this was a weird interview and both of em only then started taking offense and making "controversial statements" after that, and comparing it to the fawcett interview, thus increasing its genuineness.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm
aameen wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

im convinced it was fake because of that. i think before letterman was acting as though he was in on it. and it was all an act. kind of like when borat(cohen) came on. and after the break, this happened. and im prepared to believe they had a little discussion while we watched commercials and maybe they weren't happy with what the impression that was being given out. because afterwords he(letterman) himself seemed keen to convince us that this was a weird interview and both of em only then started taking offense and making "controversial statements" after that, and comparing it to the fawcett interview, thus increasing its genuineness.

The Fawcett interview?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:31 pm
Letterman is a silverback Gorilla.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:07 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
aameen wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

The Fawcett interview?

yeah. letterman said, during phoenix's interview, that "maybe we owe an apology to farrah fawcett". cuz thats concidered one of the worst/weirdest interviews on letterman. (personally i think thats exaggeration). so you get the implication letterman was trying make.
what i said was, doing so increases pheonix's genuineness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUmojv8Ui9g

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:31 am
Hi aameen,

I'm sorry but I don't understand this...

yeah. letterman said, during phoenix's interview, that "maybe we owe an apology to farrah fawcett". cuz thats concidered one of the worst/weirdest interviews on letterman. (personally i think thats exaggeration). so you get the implication letterman was trying make.

I think you may have had some editing issues here

Rob

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi aameen,

I'm sorry but I don't understand this...

I think you may have had some editing issues here

Rob

ok. maybe i acted with too much haste. rather than explain that i'll just expand.

in the 90s farrah fawcett came on letterman. its considered to be one of his worst/weirdest interviews. it was on the weird side of things as she appeared to be on coke at the time.
and during pheonix's interview letterman said at the end,"we owe an apology to farrah fawcett", implying that this was even worse than that one. saying that was like saying, "this is the weirdest interview"
so, here comes my point.
remember the borat interview?? we all knew it was an act and that letterman was in on it. because there he played the straight man. asked the questions off the script, laughing at the jokes, thus acknowledging they were jokes, and off to the next question.
not exactly an interview in the conventional sense. if he wanted us to believe that borat was a real person, he would have taken him seriously and done something about what cohen was saying. but that isn't the case, cuz with cohen the audience is always in on it. thats where cohen is nothing like kaufman.
now imagine a situation where he does want us to think the guy is for real.

thats what letterman does here. comparing it to fawcett is genius, not because it brings back memories and gets laughs but because saying that "this is the weirdest interview", establishes the fact that it was an interview. not a skit. interviews are with people, skits are with characters. one thing about interviews is, there is an honesty that is prerequisite. sure, people can lie, but the audience always expects a person- not a character.
comparing pheonix to fawcett completes the illusion. by then swearing and insulting had begun, so doing that takes it into the real world completely. somewhere where borat never is.
i'll repeat, saying that "this is the weirdest interview", establishes the fact that it was an interview. thus increasing its genuineness.

its like saying, "this is the worst breakfast i've ever had." saying that is beautiful, because the audience never even thinks that it might be dinner time.

---
jimmy page

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:23 am
Post Re: The Joaquin Phoenix Saga!
The next chapter, folks :ugeek:

Joaquin goes off on an audience member during a performance of his terrible music:
http://www.yahoo.com/s/1042506

I'm seriously starting the smell the fish :|

Mind you, I'm not doing what James would call 'feasting on a fallen icon' - I'm simply compelled to follow this particularly entertaining decline. I wish all forms of entropy were so potently hilarious.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 pm
Post Re: The Joaquin Phoenix Saga!
I can't find the Christian Bale thread but here's something absolutely hilarious I was shown yesterday.. it's a music techno remix of his flip-out.. absolute gold!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48

I think if Limp Biskit lose their lead singer Christian Bale def deserves a shot, haha.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:26 pm