Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Nice work, Eagles. Dallas is an absolute disaster and a joke.

And how 'bout them Niners? I'm sold. They're division champs this year, withstanding even a sub-.500 finish to the regular season.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:24 pm
It was nice to see the Eagles finally put an entire game together like that. This was the sort of games I expected to see from them a lot this season, and outside of the Rams game, haven't seen. Of course, that was against the Rams. Who cares about that? Still, as I said weeks ago, it's a team built to score a lot of points and to be able to take advantage of a team that's trying to come back. It worked perfectly against Dallas, but that's once out of 7 games. We'll see if they've turned a corner or if it was just a good game.

That said, offensively they didn't do anything they haven't been doing all season minus turning the ball over a bunch of times. It's an offense that's really tough to stop if they aren't being careless with the ball. Again, who knows if the game against Dallas was the beginning of a new trend for the team or just one game.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 pm
I think I've fully gotten over the rage I felt towards my team when they fucked up all over the place in KC last night. No, wait, I still haven't yet- I want to take a running kick at Rivers' balls. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FUMBLE WITH LESS THAN 2 MINUTES WHEN YOU'RE WITHIN 30 YARDS OF THE OPPOSING ENDZONE!?!?!?!?

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I think I've fully gotten over the rage I felt towards my team when they fucked up all over the place in KC last night. No, wait, I still haven't yet- I want to take a running kick at Rivers' balls. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FUMBLE WITH LESS THAN 2 MINUTES WHEN YOU'RE WITHIN 30 YARDS OF THE OPPOSING ENDZONE!?!?!?!?

Phillip Rivers is among the most talented players at his position.

Unfortunately, he's also dumb as a rock and an inconsistent play-maker. In other words, the archetypal San Diego quarterback.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Phillip Rivers is among the most talented players at his position.

Unfortunately, he's also dumb as a rock and an inconsistent play-maker. In other words, the archetypal San Diego quarterback.

Another shot by Rivers, another SD turnover to close out the game. Go Green Bay!

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm
Rivers single-handedly tanked his team with those pick-sixes. That was a winnable game squashed by his Favre-ian interception antics.

As for that OTHER team with starts off with San... We're having an awesome, awesome year. Gore is running like a champion, Alex Smith is playing amazingly consistent ball, and the 'D' is terrific. Coach Harbaugh has brought exactly what Singletary promised for all of his seasons. They might not be elite, but they're a playoff shoo-in at this point... and with only one game played in their division! This is sweet, sweet relief from the usual grind.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Coach Harbaugh has brought exactly what Singletary promised for all of his seasons.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
and with only one game played in their division!

I liked your entire post, but those are the take home points. They should win no fewer than 5 of their remaining 8 games (all 5 division games left), and that'll put them at 12 wins. The remaining games against the Giants, Ravens, and Steelers will all be nice tests for the team. I think they'll end the year with 13 wins, a playoff bye, and a home divisional round game. Its a major turnaround for a team that underachieved for so long under Singletary. The key, to me, is that they're winning the same way every week. The play strong defense, have a strong running game, and don't make many mistakes. It isn't flashy, but it's effective and the team clearly believes in the system. That's a huge advantage. I've come around on San Fran. They've proven to be a legit team. I think Green Bay is the only elite team in the entire league, and San Fran has to be right there with the likes of the Ravens and Steelers for the number 2 spot.

Next week should be a nice test against an overachieving Giants team coming off of a huge win. Please beat them.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:44 am
Another week, another win. Hello #2 seed. I LOVE it when we beat the Giants. That's life-affirming. We're no fluke, and a playoff rematch would be tantalizing.

As for the rest of the games, all I have to say is that the Jets, Eagles, Ravens, and (especially) the Bills should all be ashamed of their performances and need to fix themselves. Of alll of them, I see the Jets and Ravens getting past their recent muck. The Bills are just about gone. And as for the Eagles.... Abandon all hope. Fear the reaper, Philly.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:18 pm
We should probably get some chatter going in this thread again. Yesterday was one of the best Sundays of football in quite some time. There were just a ton of good, close games. I'll go division by division:

NFC East

Last night's Cowboys-Giants game ranked really high on the entertainment scale. There's really no excuse for the Cowboys blowing that game, but it's Decemeber and that's what they do in December. Despite last night's entertaining game, I don't see either of these teams as real threats in the NFC. They're both too inconsistent and have a few too many flaws to beat Green Bay, San Fran, or New Orleans. To win the NFC a team is going to have to beat some combination of those 3 in consecutive weeks. That's really tough envision.

NFC North

Green Bay makes it look really easy. They dismantled a pretty good Oakland team yesterday. The injury to Greg Jennings is a big deal, but a team doesn't get to 13-0 because of one wide receiver (even if he is their best one). They're still the heavy favorite to win another Lombardi trophy. The Bears are likely finished after being the most recent team to get Tebowed. 7-6 with no Cutler or Forte is going to be too much to overcome. As for the Lions? Who the hell knows? They'll likely grab a wildcard spot with 10 wins, but it's tough to have a lot of confidence in a team that's been less than mediocre since their hot start.

NFC South

The Saints are suddenly vying for the 2 seed. To be honest, they're the only team I can see beating the Packers, and that's going to take a Herculean effort from Brees. Their offense can score with GB and their defense can force enough turnovers to slow Aaron Rodgers down. That said, I don't think it'll happen. The Falcons are the most boring, bland pretty good team in the league. They're a great home team and a poor road team. They'll make the playoffs and might even win a game before they inevitably get blown out.

NFC West

This division has been over for weeks. San Fran is very good, but they don't score enough points to merit consideration as threats to the Pack. They're a terrible red zone team that settles for far too many field goals. You can't score 20 points and seriously expect to beat the Packers no matter how good your defense is. That said, they are, without question, the second or third best NFC team and probably a top 5-6 team in the league.

AFC coming later today...

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 am
I was watching the Oakland-Green Bay game yesterday as my Niners were playing 'Who Wants the Win?' with Arizona yesterday, and may I say: the 2007 Patriots were scary, but Green Bay looks untouchable. I'm not convinced that Rodgers is capable of having a bad day, at all. You don't get a stronger SB lock than the 2011 Packers. A likely Saints-Packers conference championship sounds like an instant classic yet to be played.

As for the AFC - I want to say Ravens take all, but that means they'll have to avoid Pittsburgh in the playoffs on the way to being throttled by Green Bay (I don't see any AFC team as more than a competing cow in the Green Bay slaughterhouse). The Patriots are iffy, the Steelers are solid but can now uncharacteristically lose (being swept by Baltimore is troubling for them, no matter how well the fowl have been playing), and Denver looks to be heading towards a first-round shut-out. As for Wild Card teams: Nada. The only hope of an upset AFC champion is if the Chargers squeak into the postseason and ratchet up some unexpected wins. The Jets always play well in the postseason, but none of the teams they'll be facing at any point on the playoffs is a team they would beat 2 out of 3 times in the regular season. I just don't see them being competitive - not to mention they have yet to clinch even the hypothetical scenario I've just described.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I was watching the Oakland-Green Bay game yesterday as my Niners were playing 'Who Wants the Win?' with Arizona yesterday, and may I say: the 2007 Patriots were scary, but Green Bay looks untouchable. I'm not convinced that Rodgers is capable of having a bad day, at all. You don't get a stronger SB lock than the 2011 Packers. A likely Saints-Packers conference championship sounds like an instant classic yet to be played.

I think Rodgers is untouchable, but the rest of the team is exceedingly touchable. I certainly think they are capable of running the table all teh way to 19-0, but the defense gives up so many points and relies on takeaways. If Rodgers his off at all the the SB (or even if a WR just bobbles a good throw that turns into a pick-6), anything can quite obviously happen. Again, let me stress that I don't think 19-0 (or even something way beyond that) is impossible, but the ball can bounce funny in the biggest games. Should be a very entertaining playoffs, although I mostly agree that the AFC seems out of it (the Steelers are capable of giving Green Bay a good game, though).

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:22 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

An odd loss for your Niners yesterday, but with how wacky the games were all day, not a total shock. Most teams drop one or two throughout the year to lesser teams, and with the 49ers style, it was bound to happen. I wouldn't read too much into it, although with the Steelers coming up next Monday, it could end up costing them the 2 seed.

Onto the AFC:

AFC East

As expected, the Pats are back on top. Like every AFC team, they have major flaws. Their secondary is just plain bad. They have a tendency to get in shootouts, and as great as Brady is, I have a tough time seeing them getting past someone like Big Ben, let alone Rodgers or Brees. The Jets can probably sneak into the playoffs, and as Phil pointed out they seem to play their best football in the postseason. They have a winning formula. They run the ball, play great defense, and don't turn it over. I don't think their defense is as good as it was in the past, and they don't seem to be able to run the ball as well as they once could, so I can't see them making a whole lot of noise this year, but they are good enough to nab a wild card spot.

AFC North

Who's better - Baltimore or Pittsburgh? It's easy to say the Ravens this year seeing as how they've beaten the Steelers twice, but I'd be hard pressed to bet on the Ravens if the two met in the postseason. Big Ben's ankle is the key here. If he's anything close to 100%, or even 90%, the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC. If not, it's the Ravens. I think one of these two teams represents the AFC in the Super Bowl. If they meet, I'll take Pittsburgh, even if the game is in Baltimore. They just have some kind of weird hold over the Ravens. If Baltimore can avoid the Steelers, I'll take them.

AFC South

Houston is the top seed in the AFC right now based on tiebreakers. Weird. Especially considering they're down to their third string QB, Mario Williams has missed most of the year, and Andre Johnson can't keep those hammies healthy. They run the ball and play great defense. If they didn't have TJ Yates playing QB, I might take them to make the Super Bowl. Instead, they might not win a playoff game.

AFC West

TEEEEEEEEEBOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God is on his side. That is all.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm
Shade wrote:
I think Rodgers is untouchable, but the rest of the team is exceedingly touchable. I certainly think they are capable of running the table all teh way to 19-0, but the defense gives up so many points and relies on takeaways. If Rodgers his off at all the the SB (or even if a WR just bobbles a good throw that turns into a pick-6), anything can quite obviously happen. Again, let me stress that I don't think 19-0 (or even something way beyond that) is impossible, but the ball can bounce funny in the biggest games. Should be a very entertaining playoffs, although I mostly agree that the AFC seems out of it (the Steelers are capable of giving Green Bay a good game, though).

A few things here. The Packers defense is 31st in yards allowed, but only 15th in points. They give up around 21 a game. You're right that they rely on turnovers, and that's the main reason that number isn't higher. However, a defense that forces 2-3 turnovers a game and gives up 21 points a game is a perfect compliment to an Aaron Rodgers led offense. I mean, wouldn't you take Rodgers to score 21 against any defense in the league, especially with 2-3 extra possessions a game?

You also have to remember that a lot of that yardage is racked up when their games get out of hand and the team is playing catch up.

19-0 is well within reach of this team, even more so than the 07 Pats. That doesn't mean it will happen, but I'd say that it's the most likely outcome for this season. It's tough to have much confidence picking against a team when the opponents' best chance at victory is for Rodgers to have an off game or for a WR to bobble a pass. I just can't pick against a team if the only way to stop them is to hope they fuck up.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 pm
Green Bay is very touchable, as the Giants proved. The Giants truly won that game, having a touchdown taken away and a touchdown given to GB, both of which shown on reply but not called. Though I dont know if the Giants would have won the Dallas game if they had beaten GB, so its all good.

Philly are a bunch of overconfident bunglers. Their season is done.

Romo has been in the league 1 year more than Eli. Romo has 40 less touchdowns and 7000 less yards. He is 0-2 in the playoffs. Eli has a ring and is 4-4. There is no deny who they better QB is...

With any luck, Teabow will be brought right back down to earth the weekend with Brady & Bellicek. A 30QB Rating in the first 3 quarters of every game is not going to win anything against a real team.

Though thinking about a Green Bay - Denver superbowl makes me laugh :)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 am
Shade wrote:
I think Rodgers is untouchable, but the rest of the team is exceedingly touchable. I certainly think they are capable of running the table all teh way to 19-0

As a GB fan and looking at the remainder of the schedule, I feel pretty good about 16-0, unless they decide to start to resting players for the playoffs. 19-0 would be great, but Lambeau Field is not the impenetrable fortress in December like it was under Favre; I think Rodgers has a better record indoors away than outdoors at home in December.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Green Bay is very touchable, as the Giants proved. The Giants truly won that game, having a touchdown taken away and a touchdown given to GB, both of which shown on reply but not called. Though I dont know if the Giants would have won the Dallas game if they had beaten GB, so its all good.

I don't know about that. The Giants played Green Bay tough, but they needed a TD and a 2 point conversion just to tie the game with a minute left...and still lost. Green Bay missed a FG before halftime too. The Pack were very much in control of that game for the majority of it. And it was in New York.

johnny larue wrote:
As a GB fan and looking at the remainder of the schedule, I feel pretty good about 16-0, unless they decide to start to resting players for the playoffs. 19-0 would be great, but Lambeau Field is not the impenetrable fortress in December like it was under Favre; I think Rodgers has a better record indoors away than outdoors at home in December.

That's a good point. They like to throw the ball up and down the field and that doesn't necessarily transfer outdoors or to inclement weather. If they end up playing someone like San Fran in the NFC Title Game, playing in Lambeau might work to their disadvantage. What chance would the Pack have against San Fran in a few inches of snow?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:57 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I don't know about that. The Giants played Green Bay tough, but they needed a TD and a 2 point conversion just to tie the game with a minute left...and still lost. Green Bay missed a FG before halftime too. The Pack were very much in control of that game for the majority of it. And it was in New York.

SEVERAL calls were blown by the officials. In fact, every disputed play went GB's way. But the proof is in the pudding. Jake Ballard's touchdown was good.
http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/upl ... lard-2.jpg

GB's Greg Jennings never had possession. http://vimeo.com/33204115

And Donald Driver stepped out of bounds before he caught his touchdown pass. Sorry, I cant find that pic.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 am
First of all, calls are missed by officials both ways every game. It's a lame excuse to use that as the reason why a team lost. The Packers are better than the Giants, as their 13-0 record compared to the Giants 7-6 record shows. That's why they won. Now, since the calls you're disputing were key plays, I'll explain how they were the correct calls:

MrGuinness wrote:
But the proof is in the pudding. Jake Ballard's touchdown was good.
http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/upl ... lard-2.jpg

Check out this replay of Ballard's non-catch: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d824c71fd/Ballard-s-catch-a-touchdown

He got his foot down, and his knee comes down out of bounds. The end of this clip clearly shows that when it's shown from the reverse angle at about the 58 or 59 second mark. He was out of bounds. Part of his knee is in, but part of it is on the line. That means you're out of bounds. Only by and inch or two, but, well, he was out. It was challenged and the correct call was made. It was unpopular in New York, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

MrGuinness wrote:
GB's Greg Jennings never had possession. http://vimeo.com/33204115

The instant a WR establishes possession in the end zone, meaning he has the ball and 2 feet hit the ground, the play is over. Jennings bobbles the ball, secures it (meaning it isn't moving around while in his hands), and takes 2 steps. Play over. The fact that the ball is knocked out after that is irrelevant. The play is over as soon as someone has possession in the end zone. It's like when a QB or RB sticks the ball out to cross the goal line from the 1 yard line. As soon as that ball is over the goal line, it's a TD, play over. If someone knocks it out of his hands after the ball crosses the goal line, it isn't a fumble. The play was already over. That's the case here. Jennings establishes possession in the end zone, end of play.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 pm
I'm with Petey on the calls...frankly, I don't think either is that disputable. Ballard was out of bounds. Done.

For Driver, it's equally simple: he had complete control of the ball (although at an awkward angle) and both feet inbounds. The concept of "maintaining control through the catch" ONLY applies to catches where the receiver jumps in the air to catch the ball then falls back down. So that doesn't matter. How long he had control and both feet in is irrelevant.

Additionally (and to again echo Petey's sentiments), a ref actually costing a team a game in any sports is about a 1 in a 1,000,000 occurance. A bad call on a buzzer-beater or last-second foul in basketball? Simple solution: be up more points by that time. Same with the Jennings catch: even if you buy that it was questionable, all the Giants D had to do was not let him be in position to catch it in the endzone. They didn't do that. The refs simply didn't cost NY this game at all, even if those were actually bad calls (which, again, they weren't).

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm
It's gonna be Jets/Giants superbowl. I said it first.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next