Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I do conclusively believe that this is easily one of the best, ever-shifting debates in sports.

Agreed on that, for sure. As you said, it's not a Montana-Marino thing. And frankly, it's hard to see how the situation will be clearer once their careers are done. It's going to be a debate for the rest of our lives.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:51 pm
Shade wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I do conclusively believe that this is easily one of the best, ever-shifting debates in sports.

Agreed on that, for sure. As you said, it's not a Montana-Marino thing. And frankly, it's hard to see how the situation will be clearer once their careers are done. It's going to be a debate for the rest of our lives.

I agree with both of you gents as well. There's no clear cut winner and it's pretty easy to make a case for either guy, which further complicates matters.

The only way the situation becomes clearer is if Brady somehow wins another 2 Super Bowls and Manning ends his career with 1. If Brady ends with 5 to Peyton's 1, it really wouldn't be a contest. I think the Colts are pretty much finished as a title contender (they were slipping last year), and much has been made recently of their misses on high drafts picks over the last 5 or so years. Short of a miracle, it's hard to see Peyton getting another ring, or even making it back for a chance at another one. The Pats are still a well-oiled machine that consistently drafts well (or at least has a lot of picks and hits some of them), which enlarges Brady's window. That kind of sucks for Peyton, but them's the breaks, I suppose.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
The only way the situation becomes clearer is if Brady somehow wins another 2 Super Bowls and Manning ends his career with 1. If Brady ends with 5 to Peyton's 1, it really wouldn't be a contest. I think the Colts are pretty much finished as a title contender (they were slipping last year), and much has been made recently of their misses on high drafts picks over the last 5 or so years. Short of a miracle, it's hard to see Peyton getting another ring, or even making it back for a chance at another one. The Pats are still a well-oiled machine that consistently drafts well (or at least has a lot of picks and hits some of them), which enlarges Brady's window. That kind of sucks for Peyton, but them's the breaks, I suppose.

Well said -- that's exactly what I mean with it being a debate that will probably go on forever. Unless Brady wins a couple more or Manning does the same, there is going to be a lot of room for interpretation.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm
I think Manning should be a serious contender for MVP this season. His value to the Colts has never been more clear.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm
The Bills did it! 3-0 with a win over New England is impressive. They got into a shootout with Brady and did the impossible! I don't know if they can keep getting into shootouts and winning, but they are easily the most entertaining team in the league right now. I also don't know how many more times they can be on the verge of getting blown out and comeback. I'm still not willing to call them legit, but they're probably going to challenge for a playoff spot.

As an Eagles fan, I can only say this - we're undefeated in games Mike Vick has finished. :roll: I think a lot of analysts are a little too busy focusing on his offensive line's problems than they should be. The line, while not great, hasn't been as bad as advertised. Sure, they've given up some pressure which led to some hits for Vick, but he also holds onto the ball for what seems like an eternity. That's his style of play, and he makes a ton of big plays either with his feet or scrambling around and finding a receiver, but it's naturally going to lead to him taking more hits. However, the most overlooked factor in all the hits Vick takes is the offensive philosophy the Eagles use. They call a lot of slow developing plays in order to take advantage of their speed and to get deep. Again, this is naturally going to cause a QB to hold on to the ball longer, which is going to lead to more hits. Vick takes a lot of hits for all of those reasons. He's also a small guy by NFL standards and is on the wrong side of 30. It'll be a miracle if he makes it through this season. Phil's Niners are next up on the schedule, likely with Vick on the bench.

The Lions are really, really good.

The Falcons are not that good. They could easily be 0-3 (and probably should be).

The Rams or the Chiefs have to be the worst team in the league right now. I expected the Chiefs to regress, but I thought the Rams would improve. They got worse. Much worse.

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am
PeachyPete wrote:
The Bills did it! 3-0 with a win over New England is impressive. They got into a shootout with Brady and did the impossible! I don't know if they can keep getting into shootouts and winning, but they are easily the most entertaining team in the league right now. I also don't know how many more times they can be on the verge of getting blown out and comeback. I'm still not willing to call them legit, but they're probably going to challenge for a playoff spot.

Yeah. That game was exhilarating, but they can't keep winning that way. As has been pointed out a lot these past couple days, Buffalo did close last season fairly strong and were spry even when they were going 0-8. They have a great chance to win a lot of games, but they could spiral quickly too. This week against Cincy is a classic let-down game so hopefully they get it going in time. We'll see. America is now behind them, though, and Fitzpatrick is very good.

PeachyPete wrote:
As an Eagles fan, I can only say this - we're undefeated in games Mike Vick has finished. I think a lot of analysts are a little too busy focusing on his offensive line's problems than they should be. The line, while not great, hasn't been as bad as advertised. Sure, they've given up some pressure which led to some hits for Vick, but he also holds onto the ball for what seems like an eternity. That's his style of play, and he makes a ton of big plays either with his feet or scrambling around and finding a receiver, but it's naturally going to lead to him taking more hits. However, the most overlooked factor in all the hits Vick takes is the offensive philosophy the Eagles use. They call a lot of slow developing plays in order to take advantage of their speed and to get deep. Again, this is naturally going to cause a QB to hold on to the ball longer, which is going to lead to more hits. Vick takes a lot of hits for all of those reasons. He's also a small guy by NFL standards and is on the wrong side of 30. It'll be a miracle if he makes it through this season. Phil's Niners are next up on the schedule, likely with Vick on the bench.

Well, the Dream Team in Miami started off slow too...

Really good point about their slow-developing plays. I think that's partly because Reid is so dumb and slow that he can't conceptualize things happening fast. More seriously, I think he's like Allen Iverson in that he's even smaller than most of us think he is. That he's doing this at all is incredible from an admiration standpoint, but again, he'll never justify that contract because he's not ever going to have a 16-game season again.

PeachyPete wrote:
The Lions are really, really good.

The Falcons are not that good. They could easily be 0-3 (and probably should be).

The Rams or the Chiefs have to be the worst team in the league right now. I expected the Chiefs to regress, but I thought the Rams would improve. They got worse. Much worse.

Agreed on all counts. The only thing the Falcons have going is sweet jerseys.

How about a Lions-Bills Super Bowl! Come on!!

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:17 pm
I don't think a Lions and Bills Super Bowl would be possible. Neither team would win.

It would make for the ultimate "Hands of Fate" game, though - whoever loses is the most pitiable franchise on the NFL. God does not want them. How do you even handle losing on either side?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 pm
I'd love to buy completely into the Lions hype, but I still have one fairly large reservation. We really have no clue what kind of QB Stafford is. Sure, he can throw the ball around and put up points, but can he do it when it matters? They're off to a great start, but he's still a very unproven QB. He's either hurt or been on teams who have been out of the playoff race by October. There's no telling how he'll respond in a big game. I mean, think about it, isn't this week's game in Dallas the biggest game he will have played in so far? That isn't to say that that game is even that big, he just has almost no experience. I'm not saying he will or he won't do anything, just that, including the 3 games this season, the guy has 16 starts for his career. The book is still very much out on him.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 am
Boo-yah! And with Vick playing. I'm proud to call myself a Niners fan today. Great comeback.

Buffalo is a fake, but more intriguingly, the Lions are REAL, and they just spelled it out for Dallas (which means, almost any other year, that they would have won the Thanksgiving game). Extremely excited for this team.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:38 pm
Director

Titans baby. Losing Britt sucks, but I think we'll be alright.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
I dont know whats more satisfying... The Giants win or the Eagles loss...

Cowboys lose, Yankees lose... if only the Redskins coulda lost :)

Was a good sports day...

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Boo-yah! And with Vick playing. I'm proud to call myself a Niners fan today. Great comeback.

That was embarassing. To blow a 20 point lead at home to an average team with a bad offense is just pathetic. To also miss 2 very makeable FGs, fumble the ball away on a potential game-winning drive (of course the kicker likely would have just missed again anyway), and have Ronnie Brown literally throw the ball away on the goal line leads me to believe the Eagles are just cursed this season. The football Gods don't take too kindly to trying to buy a championship, I suppose.

That was a huge win for San Fran, as they're now 3-1 and the rest of that division is 1-3 or 0-4.

DunkinDan89 wrote:

To me, the Titans are one of a handful of 3-1 teams that aren't very good (Was, SF, Buf). Their defense is legit, and Chris Johnson came alive yesterday, but I can't really see Hasselbeck continuing to play as well as he has without Britt. Plus, that defense is yet to face a really good offense. Tennessee is decent, but I don't think they're playoff caliber right now. That said, I would love nothing more than for them to win the division and have the Texans, yet again, be known as the "breakout" team that didn't break out.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am
The Niners will never truly move up until they bounce Alex Smith for someone better, but it's true that they have the best defense of their division and I don't see, barring a complete collapse, how they aren't in the running for division champs til' the bitter end. Better times are hopefully ahead for San Francisco, but they're at least putting a better face on the franchise right now.

As for the Texans, eh, they beat a wounded Steelers team by a touchdown and committed a foolish penalty. They have no hope of winning it all this year, and only a decent shot of winning their division. If the Steelers put it together mid-season and enter the playoffs rolling, then be afraid. And if the Ravens keep playing at this level unhindered, then they're the scariest team in the AFC. Additionally, the Packers aren't as far ahead for overall league dominance as the score of their last game might imply. I have a feeling that the Lions and Packers game will be a blowout against Detroit, but it will serve as a gauge for how far the Lions have come as a team.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:53 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:

I had Mr. Britt on both my fantasy teams. Ouch. And I thought my Fitzgerald/Britt WR combo was going to be unstoppable...

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 pm
Really, really looking forward to the Bears/Lions game Monday night (well, Tuesday morning for me). Not too happy about the Bears chances playing in Detroit, but as a lifelong Cubs fan, I'm used to baseless optimism and refusal to grasp reality.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 pm
Ok so to everyone raving about how awesome Detroit is...they won because they intercepted some terrible throws from ROMO. The lions QB hasn't proved himself at all really yet. The team beat Dallas because Dallas beat themselves lol.

EDIT: Just noticed PeachyPete's post above...so yeah I agree with him heh.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:31 pm
NINERS!!!! Damn that was amazing. This season has been a big burst of fresh air. Bills are apparently legit, Pats are (strenuously) better than Jets, and the Raiders are ruining betting pools with each passing day. Loving this season.

PS - Eagles as a Dream Team? Totally a Wes Craven kind of dream.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm
Figures. My Niners start playing amazingly well and people stop posting. Come on, you wimps*! POST GRIEVANCES.

* - Except for Pete. I can't possibly blame him for ignoring anything that has to do with the NFL right now. Poor guy.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:54 pm
No love for the Packers? Come on...the road to the SB last year was not an easy one, and still undefeated this year? What's not to love?

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:50 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Figures. My Niners start playing amazingly well and people stop posting. Come on, you wimps*! POST GRIEVANCES.

* - Except for Pete. I can't possibly blame him for ignoring anything that has to do with the NFL right now. Poor guy.

Hey! We won this week...thanks to Rex Grossman. We're heading into the bye week with a much needed win, and coming out of it with 3 straight winnable home games (Dallas, Chicago, Arizona). That said, there's not much reason for hope. Last week's victory played out similarly to most Eagles games this season (get a nice lead, turnover in the red zone, Vick gets injured), but thanks to Grossman, we got out of DC with a victory. That's just who the Eagles are this season - a very talented, very sloppy team.

The Niners still don't have the look of a legitimate team, but it's impossible to argue with 5-1. In that division, they could go 3-7 the rest of the way and still coast into the playoffs. They still have a bunch of division games left too. They could end up with 12 or 13 wins and we still won't really know how good they are.

johnny larue wrote:
No love for the Packers? Come on...the road to the SB last year was not an easy one, and still undefeated this year? What's not to love?

Green Bay is the elephant in the room right now. No one's talking about them because what is there to say? They're the best team in football and look unstoppable right now. They're going to be the top seed in the NFC and the road to the Super Bowl is going to go through Lambeau. With 11 weeks left in the season, we already know what lies ahead for them. They just aren't particularly interesting right now due to the fact that they're so good.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next