Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
bob harris wrote:
Wow, also being a diehard Eagles fan, I could not have put it any better. To me, the Vick signing bothered me for football reasons(I never found him to be all that good) and the accompanying circus just isn't worth it.

Thanks, and great to have another Iggles fan here. I'm also not looking forward to the entire world to start calling for Vick to start when Donovan has a bad game or 2. I never found Vick to be all that great either, and he certainly isn't better than 5. I'm still really excited for the year, but the Vick circus, combined with our defensive issues are making me come back down to Earth. Hopefully Westbrook stays healthy for once, although McCoy has looked pretty good this preseason.
rblount27 wrote:
1.) Michael Crabtree was mentioned. You know what San Fran should do? Call his bluff. Tell him if he wants to refuse to accept their offers he can go into the draft again next year. If that happens, and it's very unlikely, Crabs won't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting drafted higher then 1oth overall. There's no way he'll improve his stock by not playing so he'll sign eventually. Besides, this season will be a wash for him anyways so there's no rush.

Agreed. He'll lose a ton of money if he doesn't sign. Of course, as a WR, this season is cooked for him anyway. He's missed way too much to try to absorb everything he needs to and still contribute this season. He should be cussing his agent out every day for how bad this scenario has been botched.
rblount27 wrote:
5.) Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco will have sophomore slumps. I'm not saying they weren't good last season, I'm just saying they're not quite the prodigies everyone is acting like they are. Besides, the more tape defensive coordinators have on a guy the more stuff they will throw at said player. It'll be tough on both of them and I'm interested to see how they respond.

Agreed on Flacco, but not Matty Ice. Ryan is a stud, while Flacco was a game manager with a great defense. I live about 30 mins from Baltimore and I have to hear everyday how great they are. I hate them. I hate that city and I hate that their fans wear purple camo pants. I hope they go 5-11.
rblount27 wrote:
7.) Adrian Peterson won't be able to finish all 16 games and won't win the rushing title. That will go to DeAngelo Williams who will legitimately argued as the best RB in the league by season's end. Reggie Bush will continue to suck.

If Peterson stays healthy it's his. If not, I say Michael Turner gets it. The Panthers have another stud RB, Jonathan Stewart, who they'll make sure gets his fair share of carries. Reggie Bush should legally change his name to Reggie Bust.

Side note: Is anyone interested in a Reelviews Fantasy League? It seems like we have quite a few football fans here, it could be a lot of fun. Just throwing it out there...

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 am
rblount27 wrote:
5.) Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco will have sophomore slumps. I'm not saying they weren't good last season, I'm just saying they're not quite the prodigies everyone is acting like they are. Besides, the more tape defensive coordinators have on a guy the more stuff they will throw at said player. It'll be tough on both of them and I'm interested to see how they respond.

7.) Adrian Peterson won't be able to finish all 16 games and won't win the rushing title. That will go to DeAngelo Williams who will legitimately argued as the best RB in the league by season's end. Reggie Bush will continue to suck.

1.) I don't know. As pessimistic as I could be about Flacco, I sense that he could develop into a solid quarterback this season. He has no outstanding characteristics, granted, but I think he has excellent poise and was able to make some key plays against the Titans last year that indicate he can be a decisive play maker. Matt Ryan may fluctuate, or he may soar. I'm thinking he might very well climb new heights.

2.) I know this is totally out of left field, but I would love L.T. for rushing champion if he got his health fortified and started spitting out those old numbers again. If he commits statistics that are reasonably close to duplicating seasons past, I see San Diego as a certified threat for any team out there. Along with Philip Rivers making his ascent at the quarterback position, this would make the offense absolutely frightening.

P.S. - Michael Crabtree ruined this season for himself, and maybe for us. Nevertheless, the Niners could use a fresh receiver, so hopefully something gets worked out in the next few weeks and we get to either use him later this season or next year. Still, what a waste. I'm not sure his agent deserves ALL of the blame, either :|

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:55 pm
Director

I think Flacco will continue to do well, he'll be a solid quarterback but I'm not sure he'll develop into anything outstanding.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Go Browns!! Way to get that elusive 4-12 record......again.

As much as I would like to hate Brett Favre, I hate the gushing media attention he has gotten, especially from the talking heads at ESPN, primarily Mike Ditka. He seems to think we're all in for a show and that we should all get off Favre's back for his wishwashiness. Maybe Ditka could take his own clue and jump off the Favre bandwagon and realize this isn't 1998 and that it is O.K. to chastise or criticize players. Favre isn't going to throw for 4500 yards and is going to hand off to Peterson; how is that different from what Jackson and Rosenfels were going to do. Maybe no one remembers how Favre shortcircuited the Jets' season last year with his idiotic interceptions, and no, do not give tme "the good old boy just having fun" BS that all the pundits seem to throw around.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 pm
DylnFan96818 wrote:
Maybe no one remembers how Favre shortcircuited the Jets' season last year with his idiotic interceptions, and no, do not give tme "the good old boy just having fun" BS that all the pundits seem to throw around.

You know, I seem to remember the Jets going from sub-.500 to over .500 the year he joined, even with his terrible final stretch. They even lead their division for a few weeks, which was otherwise unheard of for most of this decade.

I would say that Favre failed in the end, but he alone did not short-circuit the Jets. They'll understand the real reason when they give Rex Ryan a disorder by mid-season. They are just not a solid football team.

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm
I'm a huge Colts fan and I'm hoping Donald Brown cures some of our running ills from last season. That's the big story for the Colts this year I think. I don't think the coaching change will have an effect that anyone that isn't paying really close attention will notice.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:01 am
pig nash wrote:
I'm a huge Colts fan and I'm hoping Donald Brown cures some of our running ills from last season. That's the big story for the Colts this year I think. I don't think the coaching change will have an effect that anyone that isn't paying really close attention will notice.

Awesome! Colts fans all over this board! I like it. :D

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 am
Director

rblount27 wrote:

Agreed on Flacco, but not Matty Ice. Ryan is a stud, while Flacco was a game manager with a great defense. I live about 30 mins from Baltimore and I have to hear everyday how great they are. I hate them. I hate that city and I hate that their fans wear purple camo pants. I hope they go 5-11.

Matt ryan is a better Qb than flacco, the only reason Flacco made it to the AFC championship game was of the defense. Flacco will be better, but Matty Ice is the next big thing in the NFL. Falcons record: 11-5

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:23 am
Profile YIM
Director

As much as people want to blame Favre, blame Childress and the viking vetern players for a possible disaster. The players have no faith in t. Jacson or Sage and they think a 40 year old QB can take a team to the SB, while he has a tear in his rotator cuff,this could (and should) end badly.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:26 am
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
As much as people want to blame Favre, blame Childress and the viking vetern players for a possible disaster. The players have no faith in t. Jacson or Sage and they think a 40 year old QB can take a team to the SB, while he has a tear in his rotator cuff,this could (and should) end badly.

Actually, from the things I've been hearing at ESPN, some players feels there is a fissure in the locker room, most saying that Jackson and Rosenfels deserve more chances to prove themselves. How many players there are, and who, I don't know, but it sounds like there could be a mutiny swelling in Minnesota. Don't count on the season ending - if it does indeed end badly - in silence.

I want to see how this turns out, because it could very well be a disaster, yet, on the other hand, nothing is written in stone. Just ask the Carolina Panthers.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm
Let's go Packers, led by Aaron Rodgers and one of the best groups of receivers in the NFL the offense will be tough to stop. The defense should improve up front with the addition of BJ Raji and Clay Matthews, and lets hope Woodson and Harris can keep it up for a few more years.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:55 pm
Adrian Peterson = GOD

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 pm
Lions fan here. Yes, we do walk this earth. Love my boys in Honolulu Blue even if they don't love me back. At least this year AP is on my fantasy team. My boys can help me win some major cash by being the same ol' Lions when they play the Viqueens.

On Vick....how many games before Eagles fans scare away all PETA protesters?

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:01 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Lions fan here. Yes, we do walk this earth. Love my boys in Honolulu Blue even if they don't love me back. At least this year AP is on my fantasy team. My boys can help me win some major cash by being the same ol' Lions when they play the Viqueens.

With PETA's latest ads, shouldn't Andy Reid be the main target? Guy's bigger than two McNabbs.

I would like to salute your bravery in admitting your Lions fanship, but more importantly, I want to see them play this year. I think they could be good with the proper guidance. Not right away maybe, but eventually, in the next few years they will be in a great position to overtake their anemic division. Count on them leaving the cellar for good over the next few years if 2009 displays a major upswing.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:26 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

With PETA's latest ads, shouldn't Andy Reid be the main target? Guy's bigger than two McNabbs.

I would like to salute your bravery in admitting your Lions fanship, but more importantly, I want to see them play this year. I think they could be good with the proper guidance. Not right away maybe, but eventually, in the next few years they will be in a great position to overtake their anemic division. Count on them leaving the cellar for good over the next few years if 2009 displays a major upswing.

Ownership is the problem in Detroit. In years prior to Willie Clay Ford the Lions won 4 championships. Since he become the lone owner of the team in '64 they have one playoff victory. Matt Millen was fired only after Ford's kid stated he'd be gone if he was running the show. No comment from Junior and Millen would still be drafting recievers for the team. On top of that...there was a rumor going around that the Fords purchased the Lions for the sole purpose of keeping Willie away from the auto company. Millen had no respect for the coaches or the players. Now that Millen is gone and Junior is operating the team, maybe there will be brighter days ahead. If Stafford works out then the team will have a solid QB, RB and WR but the o-line and defense will still need some work.

Here's to the Lions going 8-8. That's all I ask for.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Here's to the Lions going 8-8. That's all I ask for.

The Lions going 8-8 would be a staggering achievement. Honestly, if they win 5 games that's a helluva performance. But I'm rooting for them, and I do think that in a few years they could begin a short reign of domination in that division.

What do you guys think of the Saints? Do they have the D to make a serious run?

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:57 am
I was fairly surprised when I searched the page for "Browns" and they actually got a mention. Then again, it was only to point out that they were 4-12 last year.

Football is the one sport I'll always be excited for, even when I know the team I root for is going to be crap. Anderson or Quinn? Does anyone care? At least it's not Ken Dorsey.

Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm
So what do people think of the Brett Favre block that is getting alot of attention? Cheap shot or accident? I don't think he meant to hurt the guy, but he definitely went too low. Tough to call.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:15 pm
Blace wrote:
So what do people think of the Brett Favre block that is getting alot of attention? Cheap shot or accident? I don't think he meant to hurt the guy, but he definitely went too low. Tough to call.

If this was Phillip Rivers making the block, it would be taken as a given by the media that it was accidental. Ditto for most quarterbacks. They might get a small article written by ESPN which would be tucked away at the side of the page, but there would little to no controversy. Brett Favre, by doing nothing wrong, per say, has become persona non gratis. I'm sure people will take offense that I have said he has done nothing wrong, but really, how many QBs switch teams without antagonism? Did Steve McNair become a villain for leaving Tennessee? Sure, the Titans fans disliked it, but it never caught on as a perceived injustice. Kurt Warner went from the Rams to the Giants to the Cardinals with little to no whiplash from the media.

Does this loathing really stem from the fact that he said he was retiring, and didn't? By this logic, Gene Simmons' estate would be looted and burnt to the ground. Was it because he tempted the Jets into thinking they were contenders and then pulled the rug from under them with his last four (admittedly horrendous) four games? They were respectable for the first time in years (dating from when they ironically ended one of their seasons as divisional champs by beating Favre and The Packers). Was it because he joined his former team's rival? Big deal. This is a 'sports sin', which is a logical action attached with sports-related delusions that ends up being like the equivalent of wrestling fans calling a particular wrestler a 'heel'. It's a ridiculous notion. As David Cross so eloquently put it - 'What are we, a nation of five year olds?'

But enough ranting. I think that the sports world is forgetting to extend it's hand to the victim, by accident or through malice. I sincerely hope that Eugene Wilson is alright, and if not, recovers completely.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm
Bump

1.) .....> AP =/= God. He might beat LT this season, though.
2.) ..........> Favre got fined. Exciting. I'm really apathetic by now.
3.) ..> I am a Niners fan, but yes, I am a stealth Colts fan when the occasion is right. If Peyton Manning is playing and one of the running backs displays a pulse this season, watch out, AFC.

I ran into an article on EPSN earlier today and thought it was absolutely instant, effortless reading. I have to agree with about 80% of it (although I can take or leave his entire rankings of the NFC West and the NFC North - all predictions there are crapshoots at best). I don't think Peterson has a shot, as amazing as he is, at the MVP title, and if the Viking DO go the distance/get a play-off spot, the MVP winner may very well end up being Favre, statistics be damned. I can't wait for this season, and this article represents at the very least a kernel of why I am aniticipating it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4439322&sportCat=nfl

Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next