Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Evenflow8112 wrote:
in regards to Burress' prison sentence. That is unforgivably ridiculous and the judge who pushed for that sentence shouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's a grotesque use of justice as a pelvic thrust, which benefited no one.

Whats your reasoning for this? Ever since day one of that happening, everyone was of the mindset the boy was going to jail for carrying an unregistered gun in NY. Its an offense taken very seriously in that state.

I havent heard much about the specific injury either. Did the bullet hit the bone? Is he rehabbing? He's a doosh, but it will be interesting to see Michael Vick throwing passes to him in Philly when he returns and they become a team of felons, what with the court and jail in house already...

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:54 am
"The Dolphins looked pretty impressive tonight. They looked just like the team that almost beat the Colts. The Jets to me are massively overrated in the defensive area. They had absolutely no answer to the wildcat formation and they let a rookie QB with little experience dismantle them. Jets are going to end up a wildcard team or worse in my opinion. Either the Dolphins or Patriots (leaning here) are going to win that division."

My interpretation on the game: Pretty awful defense by the Jets in the area of protecting against the run, especially late in the game. This could open up holes for them later in the season, and frankly, they won't be able to stave off repeated contests to that weakness. That being said, I don't figure the Dolphins as a genuine threat, as any other team with a record identical to the Jets would have silenced their ridiculously successful final drive.

Two things I found interesting:
- Braylon Edwards starting THE WEEK AFTER being traded and looking more alive than he has the past 3 years. Might this be the prospect of him finally being on a winning team? What a steal for New York.
- New England is winning despite having a (relatively) sub-par Tom Brady on the field and next to no production from Moss. If they start firing on all cylinders, who doubts New England as the favorite once again?

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:45 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
- New England is winning despite having a (relatively) sub-par Tom Brady on the field and next to no production from Moss. If they start firing on all cylinders, who doubts New England as the favorite once again?

We'll know where they stand in a few weeks when they play the Colts at primetime.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:55 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Redskins-are-first-in-history-to-play-six-straig?urn=nfl,195479

This makes me feel even more strongly about the sad-sack 'Skins. Of course, if Money-bags Snyder Esq. was held accountable for producing a team with no chemistry via checkbook, there would be hope, but it looks like Jim Zorn will be ushered out in what is becoming a miserable coaching tradition for the franchise. Just totally horrible.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:21 pm
Giants vs Saints

This is gonna sound like sour grapes, but can the officiating get any worse? At least 5 calls against the Giants were complete BS.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:09 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Giants vs Saints

This is gonna sound like sour grapes, but can the officiating get any worse? At least 5 calls against the Giants were complete BS.

That may be true, but those questionable and bad calls do not equal that final score. The Giants were outplayed in every facet of the game and got their ass kicked regardless of the bad officiating.

Oh and congratulations to the Vikings for barely holding on to the game against the first good team you've played.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:26 pm
It's SIX bad calls now, and I agree the Giants got outplayed, but the bad calls were momentum busters and killed drives as well. And 27-24 at halftime is a much different game than 34-17.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:32 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
It's SIX bad calls now, and I agree the Giants got outplayed, but the bad calls were momentum busters and killed drives as well. And 27-24 at halftime is a much different game than 34-17.

Again, I don't really disagree with your points, but I've seen more poorly officiated games already this season. The NFL is the most inconsistent of the major sports in how they enforce their rules.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Director

Either Jeff Fisher is having a secretive sexual affair for Kerry Collins, or he has some deep hatred for Vince Young. This makes no sense.....

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Either Jeff Fisher is having a secretive sexual affair for Kerry Collins, or he has some deep hatred for Vince Young. This makes no sense.....

He'll go in. Their season wasnt over until today, but trust me, Young is not the answer to TN's problems this year.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:54 pm
Watching the Jets-Bills game after watching the Bengals-Texans and Vikings-Ravens games...this league sucks to much right now. There's no parity and the games, while close, are so poorly played that it's almost unwatchable.

The Colts, Giants, Patriots, or Saints are winning the Super Bowl. I'd bet the house.

I can't wait for the NBA.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm
Washington is so awful. Them losing to KC was pretty much the end. Tennesee looked worse though. How they were ever 13-3 last year is beyond me.

The Saints showed that they are for real today and the Giants showed me that their defense isn't as good as I and many people thought. Even with questionable calls that offense obliterated them.

How did the Eagles lose to the Raiders? I so thought they were better than that after the last few weeks...

Jets are on a steady decline. After starting 3-0 they have lost 3 games in a row. Playoffs might be out of reach with New England picking back up...

Baltimore is on a losing streak too...WTF?

I didn't see the game or the highlights, but what happened Cincy?!

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm
- Washington is no longer a franchise to me. They are on mental suspension to protect my mind from hemorrhaging.

- The Eagles always pull this kind of crap. They are the textbook definition of of a team that doesn't 'play every game like it matters'. In fact, they've always been. Worthless.

- The Titans are sad. Really sad. I'm beginning to think Vince Young should be benched for the rest of the season and traded to a team with legs. If I was him, I wouldn't risk an injury, since the season is over, and the franchise (Fisher in particular) obviously has no respect for him. I'm thinking that being the starting Raiders QB would be a more fruitful prospect (especially since Russell needs to be put to sleep, regardless of how many 'W's they can wing). Also, who isn't psyched about Colts and Pats in a week or two? Does this person exist?

- Vikings beat a team that had a winning record and have won six in a row to start off the season. I still think they could the be the 08' Titans of 2009, but nevertheless I'm willing to keep my suspension of belief in place a few weeks longer.

- Saints played great and Giants flinched. Not sold on Saints for the year, actually - the Giants handled what would have been a 75-0 game for almost any other team with reasonable aplomb. Expect the possible playoff rematch to be not only closer, but MUCH more brutal.

- Niners against Texans next Sunday. Lord, I hate having hope. I have no idea how this is going to go. Hopefully, the Atlanta game was a fluke (which in the context of the season it has been).

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:58 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
-
Also, who isn't psyched about Colts and Pats in a week or two? Does this person exist?

This is always the game I look forward to the most every season. Those games are always epic.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:04 pm
Shade wrote:

egads... the most obnoxious, repulsive professional sport on the planet.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:41 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
Shade wrote:

Not being obtuse here...can you explain this? I don't want to agree or disagree when I'm not totally sure what you're referring to.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 pm
I will say this, of all the weeks for my Giants to lose, the same week Philly and Washington lose is as good as it gets, I guess. Dallas is on a bye this week? Thats odd...

I picked the Texans to beat Cincy. This is how the Texans play. They'll be 8-8 again...

It is a strange year, that is for sure. I think this is an anomaly though. Theres gonna be some MAJOR changes in the off-season, both team-wise and rule-wise I think.

The Jets continue to show that they are a cursed team. As a Giants fan, I don't care so much, but it is kinda sad they can't get their sh*t together.

Is it really true that Cleveland has never been to a Super Bowl? That is crazy! What other old school teams have that terrible distinction?

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 pm
Shade wrote:
MrGuinness wrote:
Shade wrote:

Not being obtuse here...can you explain this? I don't want to agree or disagree when I'm not totally sure what you're referring to.

1) The lowest percentage of college graduates for any of the major pro sports.

2) Percentage-wise, more felons than any other sport, except maybe hockey

3) Some of the worst fans, making going to a game painfully uncomfortable. (Though I will admit, the one and only NY Rangers game I went to was the worst experience ever at a pro sports event)

4) Show-boating is getting bad in every sport (except baseball, for some reason), and IMO, it is a trait that was weened and perfected in the NBA.

5) I like the sport itself, I just can't sit there and watch these pampered illiterates (yes, I am generalizing) earn that much money and act so incredibly disrespectful.

6) The Cincy Bengles of recent years past should have been an NBA team.

7) And just to be fair, Plaxico is as much of a d*ck in this as well.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:11 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
1) The lowest percentage of college graduates for any of the major pro sports.

This is actually untrue: Major League Baseball, this year, including managers, there were less than thirty people in MLB who have degrees. The NBA is bad, but has quite a few more -- around 50-60.

There's two very simple reasons for this: They're ready to play. EVERY other sport has shown willingness to use players at any age - if highschoolers could make the jump to the NFL, it would happen all the time. They can't, so it doesn't. In baseball, players play when they're ready -- AAA Baseball has virtually no players with degrees. Hockey is the same.

MrGuinness wrote:
2) Percentage-wise, more felons than any other sport, except maybe hockey

I don't know that that's true; there's virtually no statistics on criminals in the major sports. But I've seen nothing to suggest the NBA is running away with this -- my best guess would be that each sport features about 15-20% felons.

MrGuinness wrote:
3) Some of the worst fans, making going to a game painfully uncomfortable. (Though I will admit, the one and only NY Rangers game I went to was the worst experience ever at a pro sports event)

I have to heartily disagree, although as you said this is based on a lot of personal experience. NBA fans are loud and bawdy at times, but I've never seen a fistfight. I go to several NFL games a year and you can see fights breaking out across the stadium. But since it's outside it seems less offensive to people, maybe.

MrGuinness wrote:
4) Show-boating is getting bad in every sport (except baseball, for some reason), and IMO, it is a trait that was weened and perfected in the NBA.

Well as you said it's your opinion. I think the NFL is a lot worse, but the NBA is rough, and more obvious because of the limited number of players on the court and the uniform differences.

MrGuinness wrote:
5) I like the sport itself, I just can't sit there and watch these pampered illiterates (yes, I am generalizing) earn that much money and act so incredibly disrespectful.

How exactly are they "disrespectful"? If you're talking about preening and showboating, than watching the NFL is incredibly hypocritical. And look around at the continued revelations of seniors in college football who have middle-school reading levels -- how many NFL players who went through college even got a real education? How are they more pampered, or less deservedly so, than any other pro sports players?

I really think so much of this comes down to the uniforms and closeness of the fans at the games. Every sport fan knows what dozens of NBA players look like -- how many could tell NFL players apart, other than for their size?

And I'm NOT saying this is you, Mr. G, but the fact that these are "uneducated," tattooed young black "thugs" is clearly why some people act like the NBA is the only "dirty" league.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
- Washington is no longer a franchise to me. They are on mental suspension to protect my mind from hemorrhaging.

They are plain awful, but trust me, Snyder is held accountable. Every single day. I live right outside of DC and there isn't a person who covers the team that doesn't say he is the #1 reason the team is in such disarray. He literally gets blamed on a daily basis. The problem is, he owns the team, there is nothing that can be done.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
- The Eagles always pull this kind of crap. They are the textbook definition of of a team that doesn't 'play every game like it matters'. In fact, they've always been. Worthless.

I'm a Philly fan, and you're right, they do tend to do this every year. A lot of it has to do with how Andy Reid calls games. If Mcnabb is having an off day, he refuses to go to the run. He just lets Mcnabb's bad day continue with him chucking the ball all day long. At the same time, good teams (not that Philly has proven to be one this year) lose to bad teams all the time. The Giants lost to the Browns last year. The Cardinals looked terrible for almost half of the season. It's the NFL, it happens from time to time. To say the Eagles are worthless when they've been a playoff mainstay for most of the decade is a bit foolish, no?

Evenflow8112 wrote:
- The Titans are sad. Really sad. I'm beginning to think Vince Young should be benched for the rest of the season and traded to a team with legs. If I was him, I wouldn't risk an injury, since the season is over, and the franchise (Fisher in particular) obviously has no respect for him. I'm thinking that being the starting Raiders QB would be a more fruitful prospect (especially since Russell needs to be put to sleep, regardless of how many 'W's they can wing). Also, who isn't psyched about Colts and Pats in a week or two? Does this person exist?

Vince Young can't just refuse to go into games. He'll finally be getting a shot to play and he's going to say, "No, I don't want to get hurt."? His career would be over. There are already concerns about his mental toughness, doing that would only amplify them by 1000. I don't see how the franchise has no respect for him. He was the starter until he got hurt and played at an average level. Collins came in and the team took off. There was no reason to put him back in last year. There was equally no reason to enter this season without Collins as the starter. Now that the season is lost, they should play him. However, I don't see how a 1 or 2 game reluctance to put him in while trying to save your season equals any kind of disrespect.

Fisher created enough disrepect on his own by wearing a Peyton Manning jersey at a charity event. Come on, you can't do that. He knows better.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 37  Next