Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Cleveland v Buffalo.

Derek Anderson completed 2 passes and the Browns still won. God bless futility.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 pm
Well, the Patriots are certainly not the team of old, but man, the Broncos were impressive today. They're using Orton perfectly, Marshall has become a bit of a beast, and you have to love McDaniels's enthusiasm.

Also, the Rams, Browns and Lions are three of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. So any credit given to McNabb's play or the "now 5-0!!!" Vikes should be taken with an enormous grain of salt, yes?

And yes, the Browns on most days are a lot worse than the Bills.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 pm
Shade wrote:
Well, the Patriots are certainly not the team of old, but man, the Broncos were impressive today. They're using Orton perfectly, Marshall has become a bit of a beast, and you have to love McDaniels's enthusiasm.

Also, the Rams, Browns and Lions are three of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. So any credit given to McNabb's play or the "now 5-0!!!" Vikes should be taken with an enormous grain of salt, yes?

And yes, the Browns on most days are a lot worse than the Bills.

Two things:

YES (in regards to Denver), and yes (in regards to 'The Crapnanimous Trio'). Totally agreed.

Random observations:

The Niners finally looked out-matched. This was a bad one, but nevertheless I maintain my enthusiasm of winning the division. Seattle and Arizona beat AFC South teams who weren't the Colts, which frankly doesn't mean anything, and St. Louis is the most hapless team in the NFL.

Watching the Colts rape the Titans unendingly provides a brilliant relief to last year's MNF (where the Titans shamed the Colts), which made it feel (at the time) like the change of the guard had finally come. Think again, Tennessee. Oh, and welcome to football hell.

"Cincinatti: The New Spin"
In this inspirational TV miniseries, the Cincinatti Bengals beat winning teams (among them the Super Bowl champions!), run efficient two-minute drills, and somehow fail every single special teams play in the book on the way to leading the AFC North. Bon appetit, America.

Carolina finally won, and I expect them to add a few more W's in the next few games. They are a good team that had some fluke (and, really, cruel) setbacks. In other words, they're the team that everyone thought Tennessee was until last week.

Lastly, say what you will about Eli last year, in and out of the playoffs (I know I did), but he is a monster this season. The Giants are the best team in the land unless proven otherwise. An all-Manning Super Bowl is far from being ridiculous; it's probably a good way to earn an extra mortgage. *wink wink*

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:20 pm
I think the loss of Plaxico may have been a blessing in disguise for Eli. He no longer as that one go to guy anymore and has learned to spread the field. He may be in the top 5 QBs, along with Roethlisberger and the big three.

I'm saying it right now: the Eagles defense will be exposed again like in the Saints game. They look good against bad offenses but when they go against a competent QB (Brees) I have no faith in their ability to make a stop. They're not playing badly, but the loss of Dawkins and Jim Johnson doesn't bode well.

Do the Bengals have the best defense in the league? Pittsburgh and Baltimore are a notch below where they were last year. I think the only contenders right now are Minnesota and the New York teams. I said it before, but Palmer's injury last year really overshadowed the fact that Marvin Lewis FINALLY got his D.

The Cardinals and Texans are the same team. The difference is Arizona has the luxury of the easier division. Switch them and the Texans play in the Super Bowl. Seriously, they're the same freakin team!

Hey, good job Dallas. If only you could just barely squeak by the Chiefs every week. Yes, the same Chiefs that the Eagle and Giants beat the hell out of. See ya Wade, you don't have a chance to make it back next year.

Speaking of which, do you think Jim Zorn and Dick Jauron make it to the end of the week? And do you think the Redskins and Bill draft new QBs next year?

Finally, Cedric Benson, what the hell? How do you go from being the biggest RB bust since, Lawrence Phillips (?), to being the best RB not named Adrian Peterson? It's amazing how these things work. Benson was this close to being finished, was signed off the street in a pinch last year and is now playing at a Pro Bowl level. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes, sometimes a change of scenery really does make a world of distance. Jason Campbell and Brady Quinn, you may have hope yet. JaMarcus Russell...nah, you're still screwed.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 am
Shade wrote:
Also, the Rams, Browns and Lions are three of the worst teams in the history of the NFL

I hope you're referring to the individual 2009 teams and not from a historical perspective.

Also, the Lions played decent against the Steelers and had a few rough breaks like the b.s. roughing the QB call. After Brady's injury we have officially entered the era where the QB can't even be breathed on. The Titans were the victim of this b.s. call twice on one drive.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:45 am
Director

Who else is happy that the Patroits lost yesterday?

Matty Ice and the Falcons put a beatdown to the Niners. Go ATL.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 am
Profile YIM
Shade wrote:

Granted, those teams stink to high heaven, but what does that have to do with McNabb? The Eagles haven't played any of those teams. McNabb himself has only played against Carolina and Tampa. What about those 3 teams stinking should cause Mcnabb's play to be taken with a grain of salt? What about Mcnabb in general should be taken with a grain of salt? Aside from injuries, he's a proven, Pro Bowl-caliber QB.

Also, I don't understand the rationale of taking away credit for not playing a good team. This isn't college football where teams can schedule whoever they want for 4 games a year. You can only play who is on the schedule. When you blow a team out that you should beat, credit should be given. Minnesota has done that so far. They look very good. There's no need to crown anyone in September or October (otherwise the Cowboys would have been SB locks the past 2 years), but it's perfectly fine to say certain teams are playing well, regardless of who they play.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 am
Director

Bondurant wrote:
Shade wrote:
Also, the Rams, Browns and Lions are three of the worst teams in the history of the NFL

I hope you're referring to the individual 2009 teams and not from a historical perspective.

Also, the Lions played decent against the Steelers and had a few rough breaks like the b.s. roughing the QB call. After Brady's injury we have officially entered the era where the QB can't even be breathed on. The Titans were the victim of this b.s. call twice on one drive.

True that. The Titans weren't going to win the game anyway, but I guess you have to avoid the defense from pushing you into your own quarterback, otherwise that must "roughing the passer". What a joke. I hate all the Mannings, they reek of arrogance and Peyton's a commercial-whore. Always have hated the Colts, too.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:46 am
Profile WWW
WHODEY!!!!!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:42 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
Shade wrote:

True that. The Titans weren't going to win the game anyway, but I guess you have to avoid the defense from pushing you into your own quarterback, otherwise that must "roughing the passer". What a joke. I hate all the Mannings, they reek of arrogance and Peyton's a commercial-whore. Always have hated the Colts, too.

Say what you will about coddling the QBs (which is fair enough, I agree with you), the Titans defense was very unaware of their positions. They seem totally lost without Haynesworth. Either that, or, judging by Baltimore and Pittsburgh's (relative) defensive slumming, the offensive coordinators of the league conspired to make defense irrelevant in 2009. It certainly looks that way. It seems every QB from last year has netted more yards per game in less time (especially in terms to the Mannings, Flacco, Ryan, and Brees*). Even a rookie like Mark Sanchez seems at home in this new, safer NFL.

By the way, I forgot to say this in my last post: Dallas is a joke. Their 'winning' record is much like last year; it hides how shamefully weak they are as a team. They might actually get beaten by the Redskins when they play next, shame of all shames. T.O. might be playing piss-poor in Buffalo (or is simply maladjusted), but there's no way you can blame their repeat collapses on him anymore (nor Wade Phillips, I argue). I knew this would happen, and all of you Terrell Owens skeptics deserve it.

* - Aaron Rodgers WOULD be more successful, but his O-line is a pathetic mess, and consequently, he is not being afforded an opportunity to show everyone how amazing he is.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:05 pm
Bondurant wrote:

Correct. Only referring to the 2009 incarnations.

Bondurant wrote:

I'll grant that the Lions played okay, for them, but the Steelers just are not a very good team right now.

I do think the calls in the Colts-Titans game were good in terms of the rules. If anything, the second one was a bad break, but still not a bad call (according to the rules, not according to what I think the rules should be).

The NFL has to protect QBs. Absolutely. And if the calls were consistent, I would be okay with it even if it meant you couldn't really breathe on people. The problem is that the only QBs you can't breathe on are named Brady, Favre, and Peyton. The game is called differently for these guys to the degree that I believe the order has come straight from Goodell to keep these guys healthy. Stupid, but seemingly true.

PeachyPete wrote:
Granted, those teams stink to high heaven, but what does that have to do with McNabb? The Eagles haven't played any of those teams. McNabb himself has only played against Carolina and Tampa. What about those 3 teams stinking should cause Mcnabb's play to be taken with a grain of salt? What about Mcnabb in general should be taken with a grain of salt? Aside from injuries, he's a proven, Pro Bowl-caliber QB.

Sorry, I didn't connect my thoughts very well.

Obviously McNabb has only played against the Panthers and Bucs, but it goes along with my point: both of those teams are awful. I'm not knocking what McNabb has "proven" in the past; my point is only that right now he hasn't been throwing together good games. I'm definitely not saying that he sucks.

PeachyPete wrote:
Also, I don't understand the rationale of taking away credit for not playing a good team. This isn't college football where teams can schedule whoever they want for 4 games a year. You can only play who is on the schedule. When you blow a team out that you should beat, credit should be given. Minnesota has done that so far. They look very good. There's no need to crown anyone in September or October (otherwise the Cowboys would have been SB locks the past 2 years), but it's perfectly fine to say certain teams are playing well, regardless of who they play.

You're of course right in that it's not college and the level of talent across the board is better. But in the case of the Vikings, they've played the three awful teams and only blown out one of them. They needed a last second miracle against a very average 49ers team, and their best victory came against a Packer team that seems to be a borderline playoff team at best. I'm not saying they're terrible, but it's not as if they're crushing everyone they face or that they haven't shown some obvious weaknesses against some very bad teams. I know no one who knows anything is crowning them, but I don't think you can praise them without pointing those things out. It's not "taking away from them" as much as it's being realistic. If they had crushed the Browns and Lions I'd be much more eager to call them great. Right now, they're a very good team who has done what they're supposed to do, and nothing more.

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers WOULD be more successful, but his O-line is a pathetic mess, and consequently, he is not being afforded an opportunity to show everyone how amazing he is.

Yep.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:22 pm
stiefmo wrote:
WHODEY!!!!!

Seconded!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:38 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:

What a joke. I hate all the Mannings, they reek of arrogance and Peyton's a commercial-whore. Always have hated the Colts, too.

You can't be serious right now... Peyton is pretty much the least arrogant QB I can think of in the NFL. He never ever showboats and in all the interviews he's very nice and never takes any credit for the team winning even though he should be taking all of it. He's passed quite a few significant players this year in some stats and he always acknowledges that they were great and that even though he passed them he doesn't consider himself as good as they were. Arrogant QB's would be Brady and Rivers.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:30 pm
Shade wrote:

The Browns just won a game, which some teams did not. They look terrible, but worst ever? I cant agree. I think maybe playing for Mangini REALLY does suck.

The Lions are actually playing not too poorly this year, though I won't disagree that last years team is a top 10 worst ever, MAYBE top 5.

The Rams were ALWAYS building for next year. Spags is going to turn out to be a wonderful coach and I dont think anyone expected their offense to be this bad. I haven't been keeping tabs on them, but I imagine you will see marked improvement in them during the year.

I would have to say that that first Tampa Bay Bics team may well have been the worst ever, but is a first year expansion team back in the day really a fair shot?

Go Giants!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:34 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
the Titans defense was very unaware of their positions. They seem totally lost without Haynesworth.

Haynesworth himself is having a horrible year as well. Fat bastard :)

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:
What a joke. I hate all the Mannings, they reek of arrogance and Peyton's a commercial-whore. Always have hated the Colts, too.

Payton's words about passing Johnny U's records were some of the most respectful and self-deprecating I have ever heard from a sports figure.

I don't disagree with you that the 2 of them are selling themselves a bit thin commercially, but honestly, you cannot fully blame these guys who at ANY moment could have their entire career ripped from them with one misplaced helmet from making as much money as they can as quickly as they can. Dennis Byrd anyone?

From the NFLPA... The average length of an NFL career is about 3 and a half seasons. Although there are some exceptional players who have long careers that extend 10 or twelve seasons and beyond, most players only stay active for about three seasons. Players leave the game because of injury, self-induced retirement, or being cut by the team. This also means that while players may make more money than most people, they are only making it for an average of three and a half years. To make sure they are successful in the future, players must invest their money well and make plans for another career when they can no longer play football.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 pm
MrGuinness wrote:

The Lions are actually playing not too poorly this year, though I won't disagree that last years team is a top 10 worst ever, MAYBE top 5.

If a game could be staged between the '72 Dolphins and '08 Lions I'd put all my money on the Lions. It's all about the era in which they play.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:27 pm
MrGuinness wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Payton's words about passing Johnny U's records were some of the most respectful and self-deprecating I have ever heard from a sports figure.

I don't disagree with you that the 2 of them are selling themselves a bit thin commercially, but honestly, you cannot fully blame these guys who at ANY moment could have their entire career ripped from them with one misplaced helmet from making as much money as they can as quickly as they can. Dennis Byrd anyone?

From the NFLPA... The average length of an NFL career is about 3 and a half seasons. Although there are some exceptional players who have long careers that extend 10 or twelve seasons and beyond, most players only stay active for about three seasons. Players leave the game because of injury, self-induced retirement, or being cut by the team. This also means that while players may make more money than most people, they are only making it for an average of three and a half years. To make sure they are successful in the future, players must invest their money well and make plans for another career when they can no longer play football.

Great point. Bo Jackson lives off of endorsement and commercial money. Hell, if I was a star QB I'd have no problem doing a commercial for anything. Easy moeny.

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm
The Dolphins looked pretty impressive tonight. They looked just like the team that almost beat the Colts. The Jets to me are massively overrated in the defensive area. They had absolutely no answer to the wildcat formation and they let a rookie QB with little experience dismantle them. Jets are going to end up a wildcard team or worse in my opinion. Either the Dolphins or Patriots (leaning here) are going to win that division.

Other Notes:

Colts have a bye week which means Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, Kelvin Hayden, and Marvin Jackson all get an extra week to heal up from injuries. Our defense will be at practically 100% in 2 weeks against the Rams (like we needed it). The guys filling in have done a marvelous job so I'm feeling good about our secondary at the moment. I can't wait to watch Bob Sanders play again. It's been far too long (although Melvin Bullit is becoming one of my favorite players and I hope they shift him to another position and keep him in the line-up when Sanders comes back).

The Titans absolutely need to start Vince Young next week if they think he is the future. They are going nowhere fast and it is a perfect oppurtunity for him to play without reserve since they are winless anyway. It'll be a great learning experience for him. There is no way they are running the table and making the playoffs.

I consider the Vikings overrated at the moment. They aren't blowing out the teams that are terrible like the Colts and Giants are. They are barely winning. Jared Allen is a beast though.

The Patriots are in trouble when Tom Brady starts making mistakes. That throw that hit Wes Welker in the feet made me cringe because that was easily a touchdown if he led him down the field. They would have won the game too. Not Tom Brady like in the least. Also, Randy Moss has been non-factor this year. They need to get him going.

The Cowboys are PATHETIC. They should have *destroyed* the Chiefs. I don't think they are going to make the playoffs and the record they have is entirely misleading. They need a new coach. Wade Phillips is not cutting it.

WTF happened to the Jaguars?! I have nothing more to say because I'm so dumbfounded by this team and its inconsistency.

Finally, The Broncos are the luckiest team ever. They get tips into other receivers for big plays way too much and are winning because of it. They look good and will win their division, but they need to improve that offense. It is very run of the mill.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
MrGuinness wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:
the Titans defense was very unaware of their positions. They seem totally lost without Haynesworth.

Haynesworth himself is having a horrible year as well. Fat bastard :)

He knew what he was doing. Joining any organization with Dan Snyder at the helm is like committing statistics suicide. The man just wanted the money; hat's really all there is to it. In a way, I can't blame him. As it stands, the most famous Titan of all time retired without a ring and got iced by his 20 year old lover (this is not a dig at the Titans - rare, I know - but just an elaboration of how unrewarding near-total commitment to an organization can be). At least now Haynesworth can plunge into anonymity with a surplus of cash.

P.S. - Dan, I thoroughly understand why you would hate Peyton Manning, but attacking his conduct is a strategy I've yet seen. There's a good reason for that. If I wanted to roast QBs for acting like five year-olds, I could always have some Phillip Rivers on a pike, thank you very much.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next