Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next
The Official NFL Thread 
Director

Post Re: The Official NFL Thread
Who's the better QB(I mean who would you chose to be clutch in a two minute drive)?

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Who's the better QB(I mean who would you chose to be clutch in a two minute drive)?

Is that even a valid question? Peyton and Eli may both have a ring and whatnot, but Peyton has 37 game winning drives in the fourth quarter. That's more than any person at his stage in his career and 2nd on the all-time list behind Favre's 41.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm
Director

Blace wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

Is that even a valid question? Peyton and Eli may both have a ring and whatnot, but Peyton has 37 game winning drives in the fourth quarter. That's more than any person at his stage in his career and 2nd on the all-time list behind Favre's 41.

I meant between Ryan and Flacco who's the better QB?

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Blace wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

I meant between Ryan and Flacco who's the better QB?

Oh, my bad.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 pm
The MNF games is pretty ugly.

Delhomme's pic...he just threw it far in hopes it would work out well. He and Romo are just missing open guys. Delhomme's been good for a while and is in position to regress, but Tony? Maybe he was a fluke all along. This looks like a game where two backup QBs are starting...yuck.

As to the the other argument...Ryan is, was, and always will be the better QB. I fully believe that he'll be the consensus best QB in the league at some point.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:31 pm
Even though the Cowboys won tonight I don't feel like they gained anything. They still looked pretty bad and got lucky. Panthers are pretty much done now though.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Shade wrote:
The MNF games is pretty ugly.

Delhomme's pic...he just threw it far in hopes it would work out well. He and Romo are just missing open guys. Delhomme's been good for a while and is in position to regress, but Tony? Maybe he was a fluke all along. This looks like a game where two backup QBs are starting...yuck.

As to the the other argument...Ryan is, was, and always will be the better QB. I fully believe that he'll be the consensus best QB in the league at some point.

Delhomme's first pick was on him, even though the receiver made no play for the ball and made no attempt to swat. However, his second interception was due to Steve Smith's route break. That was awful. I feel like the game really came down to who lost less, and Dallas squeaked out (regardless of the score). They looked decent in the second half, but really, Jerry Jones has just wasted alot of money here. I'm not mournful - if they think Terrell Owens was the reason they had no playoff success, perhaps this season will awaken them to a greater truth; they have a rotten core, no chemistry, and an inconsistent (bordering on massive bust) quarterback. They might make the playoffs, but that is the extent of their potential - and I still give them a 50/50 shot of getting to the post season.

Are the Panthers done? Absolutely. Do they have the makings of a great spoiler team? Completely. Illogical flops like the 09' Carolina Panthers are capable of providing great late-season drama.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco seem fairly even to me. I think Joe Flacco has many years of people being down on him to go, but regardless he has shown nothing but an ability to be a completely serviceable, and occasionally brilliant, quarterback. Say what you will about Matt Ryan being perhaps more polished, Joe Flacco lifted his team in the playoffs last year in some difficult spots against Tennessee. Matt Ryan's season proved inconsequential the minute it extended to the playoffs.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:34 am
There's far too many injuries this year. I've never seen so many before. Dwight Freeney is out 2-3 weeks now.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:53 pm
More to the point, what is with all of the legal troubles around the NFL? In addition to Donte Stallworth's DUI-icide and Plaxico Burress' worthless prison sentence, there is also Marvin Harrison being a closet-gangster and Steve McNair having a film noir double-life (which is too awkwardly bizarre to not be true). Not to mention Jeremy Shockey murdering a prostitute, cutting her up and sticking the remains in Bill Parcell's garage.

Okay, I made that last one up. Probably. Anyways, it seems the NFL is running into it's fair share of notoriety. I'm sure there are many more cases that I could cite, but these weighed most heavily (I excluded Michael Vick because I'm sick of talking about it), especially in regards to Burress' prison sentence. That is unforgivably ridiculous and the judge who pushed for that sentence shouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's a grotesque use of justice as a pelvic thrust, which benefited no one.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:16 am
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
More to the point, what is with all of the legal troubles around the NFL? In addition to Donte Stallworth's DUI-icide and Plaxico Burress' worthless prison sentence, there is also Marvin Harrison being a closet-gangster and Steve McNair having a film noir double-life (which is too awkwardly bizarre to not be true). Not to mention Jeremy Shockey murdering a prostitute, cutting her up and sticking the remains in Bill Parcell's garage.

Okay, I made that last one up. Probably. Anyways, it seems the NFL is running into it's fair share of notoriety. I'm sure there are many more cases that I could cite, but these weighed most heavily (I excluded Michael Vick because I'm sick of talking about it), especially in regards to Burress' prison sentence. That is unforgivably ridiculous and the judge who pushed for that sentence shouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's a grotesque use of justice as a pelvic thrust, which benefited no one.

What may be so ironic next year is that Donte Stallworth could be playing next year and there won't be any form of protest against him. Just watch next year.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am
Profile YIM
Random Observations:

The Bears are one mean football team. Jay Cutler has made a not-so-implausible comeback since his abysmal week one.

New England impressed me. They have come out fighting after essentially being written off. I have a feeling the Ravens will have a spottier win-loss record from this moment onwards.

Tennessee has started 0-4... The only thing I can point at is Albert Haynesworth's departure. Otherwise, it's the same team. Right? Nevertheless, this literally closes the division. Indianapolis is the team to beat - maybe in the entire AFC.

Cincinatti and Cleveland. If this game was any longer I'd swear two good teams were playing. It's like they're trying to out-lose one another. It's really stunning.

Washington just had the easiest stretch of schedule for a team EVER and came away winning by an overall six points. If you can't tell, I'm disgusted.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Colts really are the best team in the AFC South. I mean, it's not even close. The only thing that makes this interesting is if Vince Young gets a start and Kerry Collins gets back to his luxury pad in Davy Jones' Locker.

Just to say, as a sports fan, or simply as a man without an identity crisis: If you are not looking forward to Monday Night Football this week, I don't know what to make of you. This is an historic, timeless, fascinating scenario, and to be honest, it's looks like a decent game anyways. Be there or be square. No irony here.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:46 pm
The Titans are Colts play each other next week. I'm excited. If the Colts win then the Titans are going to be 0-5. No playoff chances whatsoever.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:03 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Random Observations:

The Bears are one mean football team. Jay Cutler has made a not-so-implausible comeback since his abysmal week one.

They gave up 21 points to the worst team in the history of the NFL..... I'm still a Bears hater.

Vikes and Pack tomorrow night is easily the game of the season thus far. Great scheduling on the NFL's part. Of course the Packers are going to come out victorious, after Favre throws 2+ INT's trying way too hard to look good, but hey, it still should be a great one to watch.

Eventhough the Bengals/Browns game was ugly, it was still incredibly fun to watch. A blocked field goal and extra point, a 75 yard fumble recovery TD by a defensive lineman, and 2 Ochocinco TD's equates to one hell of a football game. Derek Anderson definately just took Quinn's job for the season. Other than Ryan Leaf, has there been a bigger QB bust than Brady Quinn? Poor Brownies....

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 pm
Director

Prediction: Packers: 24 Vikings: 21

If Favre wins this game, he'll be considered a hero. If he loses, people will challenge his play calling. There will be no middle grounds for him.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 pm
Profile YIM
I'll be rooting for the Packers.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:38 pm
Director

Blace wrote:
I'll be rooting for the Packers.

Brett Favre will crash and burn this year, I just feel it.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 pm
Profile YIM
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Tennessee has started 0-4... The only thing I can point at is Albert Haynesworth's departure. Otherwise, it's the same team. Right? Nevertheless, this literally closes the division. Indianapolis is the team to beat - maybe in the entire AFC.

They also have a new defensive coordinator who apparently doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. With that said the loss of Fat Albert clearly hasn't gone too well for the Titans.

As for my own thoughts...

One day we will all get to tell our children and grandchildren how great Peyton Manning was. Even considering his postseason struggles, which I feel have been greatly over exaggerated, I don't know if there's ever been such technically proficient QB. He is the bar in which all other QBs will attempt to reach.

One day we all get to tell our children and grandchildren how bad JaMarcus Russell was. The dude shouldn't be starting now. He's not improving and I can't see how leaving him out there to drown is helping anything. Oh, that's right, they cut Jeff Garcia before the season started, so I guess they have no one else to turn to. Good job Oakland. Seriously, there are some franchises that just shouldn't draft QBs and Oakland is one of them. Washington and Cleveland are also on that list.

Good win by the Saints, but I think people should temper their enthusiasm just a tad. First, this is the second straight game where the offense hasn't looked unstoppable, and second, Mark Sanchez had a bad case of the rookie stutters. They're a very good team, but I'm not ready to pick them above the Giants.

Speaking of which, Steve Smith may be turning into Marvin Harrison to Eli's Peyton. Just wait for when Eli and Mario Manningham get on the same page. Then of course there's Hakeem Nicks waiting around the corner. Remember when we were all wondering how'd they replace Burress?

Finally, my new prediction for the first overall pick in the 2010 draft: Jake Locker to the Rams. He's Tim Tebow with the ability to play quarterback in the NFL. And the Rams suck. Badly.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 pm
If only the Packers offensive line wasn't terrible... they would be one of the best teams in the NFL. Aaron Rodger is a great QB, but even the greats suck when there is pressure. Just ask Peyton or Brady.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:58 pm
The Vikings aren't quite elite yet, because that last quarter was too close. But it never seemed like they would lose. That being said, the Packers are a good team. They just aren't going to make a difference this year. That's all.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:13 am
I agree with your take on the Vikings. The Pack gave away at least one touchdown on the Lee drop (which obviously would have made a difference). Their defense has holes that Jared Allen masks sometimes, but won't against an elite offense.

Aaron Rodgers is very good. I don't think the Packers are a good team without Clifton, but with him they are good, and nothing more.

The Vikings need to play a few better teams before I have any real faith in them.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next