Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am

Tell Me What To Read 
Post Tell Me What To Read
Have a little bit of time off, and when I am not watching, I am reading. Just Started Edgar Sawtell. Expecting big things because of the reviews. Also re-reading John Marsden's tomorrow series, which I haven't read since I was a teenager. It's fabulous. Did they ever adapt it for screen? Miniseries even? Just finished Blindness, which was made into a film with Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo - I only know that because they used the movie poster as the front cover of the book. Has this been released and I just missed it? I would be interested to see it. Speaking of movie adaptions, I am excited about "Let the Right One In" and was interested to read about you guys discussing it. The book was beautiful.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:04 am
Post Re: Tell Me What To Read
I read Jhumpa Lahiri's "Unaccustomed Earth" over the holidays and LOVED it. It is one of the best I've read. I thought it was better written than her Pulitzer-winning collection "Interpreter of Maladies."

Here is a list of books I recently read and enjoyed:
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Private Patient by P.D. James (any PD James book is worth reading)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 am
crazykate wrote:
Have a little bit of time off, and when I am not watching, I am reading. Just Started Edgar Sawtell

Let me know what you like and don't like about the book. It's in my to-read list. I heard mixed reviews from friends - some loved it while others thought it was mediocre.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:03 am
I'm about 1/5 of the way into TSOES and I think the fact that I am a dog lover is making a huge impact on my enjoyment (ie: I am enjoying it immensely).

I recently read The Reader as well - it was one of those slow burn books but I found her character totally unsympathetic. Maybe on a re-read I will find a different angle.

Thanks for the tips!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm
Let the Right One In! It's everything a vampire novel should be (i.e. not Twilight). XD

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 pm
I am right now reading 'The God Delusion' and its very interesting. I really recommend it. And I just finished Watchmen which I though was excellent.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm
crazykate wrote:
I recently read The Reader as well - it was one of those slow burn books but I found her character totally unsympathetic. Maybe on a re-read I will find a different angle.

I couldn't sympathize with the Hannah character either. However, I felt for Michael and the collective guilt his generation experienced (the book did a better job of capturing this than the film).

Speaking of dogs... did you read Marley & Me? I never read the book. Saw the film and used up half a box of Kleenex in the movie theater. What a tearjerker.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:02 pm
Quote:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Highly recommend! Blink and The Tipping Point are very much in the same bag in terms of the intriguing case studies and educational yet captivating style. Outliers is definetely the peak of his work, brillaint. My favourite part was the 10,000 hours theory :)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:17 pm
Hmmmm....after reading all these posts about books I never heard of I am almost embarrassed to post that I am revisiting Killshot by Elmore Leonard. All in hopes of ever seeing the film adaptation. I suspect it will be crap, but they really picked the right man in Rourke to play the Blackbird.

After that I will likely go back and read The Book of Five Rings again. But I have never been one for heavy literary works really. Always seems inaccessible for me in the relating sense.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 pm
Edy wrote:
I am right now reading 'The God Delusion' and its very interesting. I really recommend it. And I just finished Watchmen which I though was excellent.

yeah Watchmen is a brilliant piece of work. Very well-written, illustrated - everything worked. Looking forward to the movie adaptation. Have you read the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman? They're pretty good too.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 pm
Pedro wrote:
Let the Right One In! It's everything a vampire novel should be (i.e. not Twilight). XD

I love vampire stories. I didn't know the movie was based on a book. Definitely need to add this on my list. Thanks!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:46 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Hmmmm....after reading all these posts about books I never heard of I am almost embarrassed to post that I am revisiting Killshot by Elmore Leonard. All in hopes of ever seeing the film adaptation. I suspect it will be crap, but they really picked the right man in Rourke to play the Blackbird.

After that I will likely go back and read The Book of Five Rings again. But I have never been one for heavy literary works really. Always seems inaccessible for me in the relating sense.

Many of Leonard's stories have been adapted to the screen, right?
I'm not familiar with the Book of Five Rings. What is it about?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm
Sadly, I'm not much of a reader but I did really enjoy Freakonomics. Maybe because I'm a business major. Oh, if you're looking for material that has been made into films, check out The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Such a great film and book!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 am
sheryl wrote:
crazykate wrote:

I couldn't sympathize with the Hannah character either. However, I felt for Michael and the collective guilt his generation experienced (the book did a better job of capturing this than the film).

Speaking of dogs... did you read Marley & Me? I never read the book. Saw the film and used up half a box of Kleenex in the movie theater. What a tearjerker.

I loved Marley & Me (book) - was almost too scared to go and see the movie because I knew what a sobfest it was going to be!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:54 am
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie: One of my all-time favourites, but not for everybody. Check out some Amazon reviews to see if it's for you. It's challenging but in my opinion quite rewarding as well.

I, Claudius by Robert Graves: If you're interested in the Roman empire at all, this is a must-read. A fictional autobiography by emperor Claudius of his early life under emperors Augustus, Tiberius and Caligula. Very historically accurate but also entertaining as hell.

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood: Again, maybe not for everbody but I found it quite good. Also check out The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, a very intense and easy-to-read 1984-style book.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodr Dostoevsky: Surprisingly easy to read and suspenseful, not the intellectual bore that I expected.

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill: A fast-paced fictional account of an African woman's life through the slave trade in the late 1700s. I think this book was retitled to "Someone Knows My Name" in the US to avoid controversy (although "The Book of Negroes" is an actual book from that era that is still around in a museum somewhere).

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: The length is daunting, but the book is pure gold from start to finish.

There's many more, but that's probably enough for now.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am
Heff wrote:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodr Dostoevsky: Surprisingly easy to read and suspenseful, not the intellectual bore that I expected.

Prefer The Brothers Karamazov myself, but yeah great read.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 am
Gaiman I can definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't read him. He's about the easiest author there is to read, without being patronizing. He's ridiculously imaginative, and his prose places you in the scene with the smallest amount of text. He's about the opposite of Tolkien when it comes to description, and I love him for it.

I would recommend starting with Neverwhere if you don't do the "Graphic Novel" thing(because the Sandman is brilliant), or if you're afraid it'll be "too easy," start with American Gods.

Aside from the "popular" novels, I loved Ripley Bogle. An excellent novel about a brilliant irishman with a shitty family who ends up dropping out of cambridge to live on the street and drink.

Fierce People was also a fun little read, the movie does a pretty good job re-creating the book, and it's a chance to see Kristen Stewart pre-Twilight fame.

Anything by Neil Stephenson for Sci-fi fans is a recommended must as well. Snowcrash is one my favourite books ever, and the Diamond Age had some really neat ideas in it as well. This guy more or less came up with Second Life years before it came into itself, and he came up with the idea for Google Earth as well.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 pm
Vic wrote:
Heff wrote:

Prefer The Brothers Karamazov myself, but yeah great read.

I agree. Dostoevsky is surprisingly not difficult to read. I was intimated by his work in high school but was glad to have tackled them since. My personal favorite is Notes from Underground.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:12 pm
The Road.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm
Heff, out of your list I have only read The Blind Assassin, which I loved. Then I tried to read more of Margaret Attwood's books and couldn't get into them at all!

This is great, I am making a list to take to the library. Yippee!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:39 pm