Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:17 am

Contingency for a 'Favorite'? 
Post Contingency for a 'Favorite'?
What for you readers constitutes a favorite? Is there a criteria? Or is it just if you can watch it forever and never be bored by all the viewings? Is a favorite always in line with a movie you think was great?

I found while working on a 100 Favorites list I am not done and have passed 130 films. I think the reason for that is many of these movies are favorites for certain elements, and some are overall favorites. I also found that some movies I think are great like Spider-Man 2 are not a favorite, though certainly watchable many times over. There is also a noticeable lack of many 'classic' movies. I haven't watched as many as I would have liked but I am slowly remedying that. There are a few though I find landing as favorites.

I'm curious to know how your favorites come about?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:05 am
Post Re: Contingency for a 'Favorite'?
7 Rules Which Help Me:

1. Can I watch it without feeling the need to pause?
2. Can I tell when a chapter ends?
3. When you watch another film, and see an actor from a 'favorite' movie, does it takes you out of the other film?
4. Would you show it your friends? Would you be selective?
5. Can it put you in a mood, without any forcing on your part?
6. Does it get better with time?
7. Is it simply the best at what it does?

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:24 am
I need to be able to make it my own. It has to be somewhat personal.
My favorites will very rarely be anything very popular, as then I have trouble taking ownership. My favorites define me to some extent, and I view them that way when determining them. I can't let myself be defined by something everyone likes.
So that makes me a little bit snobby. But it also just means I like things that are a little bit flawed.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 am
Good question...I think my main things were greatness, re-watchability and memorability.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am
1. Is it cool somehow?
2. Is it good?
3. Is it memorable?/What makes it stand out?
4. Am I going to be able to sit through this again?
5. Does it bring emotion out of me in some way?

I'd say all of my favorites do this in some shape or form. It's a flawed system because it sometimes depends on the day and my mood, but it's the best I can do right now.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:55 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
What for you readers constitutes a favorite? Is there a criteria? Or is it just if you can watch it forever and never be bored by all the viewings? Is a favorite always in line with a movie you think was great?

I found while working on a 100 Favorites list I am not done and have passed 130 films. I think the reason for that is many of these movies are favorites for certain elements, and some are overall favorites. I also found that some movies I think are great like Spider-Man 2 are not a favorite, though certainly watchable many times over. There is also a noticeable lack of many 'classic' movies. I haven't watched as many as I would have liked but I am slowly remedying that. There are a few though I find landing as favorites.

I'm curious to know how your favorites come about?

SFW,

This is a great question! One that I've thought alot about over the years.

My struggle is when someone says to me - what do you think is the best film ever? What they often mean is , your favorite. the two are different.

I guess that the first rule of thumb is that you have to personally like it.
Does the film have to have creative merit. Not really, as it's a statement of personal preference.

When I was younger, in my teens and early twenties I found that my favorites tended to be pulse quickening action oriented affairs or fear inducing horror movies.

However, as I've gotten older that has changed and I've searched out more foreign and older films that come highly recommended.

I think I can say with some confidence that I've seen over 90% of all the decent English language (US & UK) movies made since 1940. So foreign language increasingly makes up a regular part of my diet.

What a wonderful journey it is.

My personal rating system these days asks me to try and rank my enjoyment alongside my consideration of the film's merit.

Questions I have considered and rejected are:
Is it cool? - I don't care as I am not a slave to the fashionable dictates of others.
Do I want to see it again - The Sweet Hereafter is my problem here. It's a great movie that for a parent is physically painful to watch
Would I show it to friends - Ozu's Tokyo Story and Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar - definitely not

Then finally there is a problem that I can't get round. My top three films or personal favorites were reviled by me upon first watching. I thought Vertigo was failed Hitchcock as I wanted more North By Northwest. it seemed pretentious and self absorbed. 2001 A Space Odyssey was a confused bore of a film. Citizen Kane was a mess and to be honest the story of some egomaniacal newsman just did not interest me. Over the years, each of these films grew upon me and now sit atop my list. I have seen all three of them over ten times each and simply cannot wait for my next encounter.

Rob

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 pm
Interesting question,

I find that favorites, are ones that I can view numerous times, ones that strike a chord with my soul, that artistically affect me, that creates a sense of beauty or awareness about my life or the lives of others. Sounds corny probably, but that is how I view it.

One important thing I noticed when watching a movie recently for the third time, (No Country for Old Men) even though I was aware of what and when things were going to take place, I still held my breath at times and was fully absorbed into the film, and still wondering in amazement at the flow and performances taking place.

Cheers,

wade

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 am
I don't necessarily have criteria that I go with when choosing a favorite. I guess I just feel it. If I were to have criteria, re-watchability and emotional response upon first viewing would be on there. Staying power is also important. Do I think about the movie after watching it, or is it quickly forgotten.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
Do I think about the movie after watching it, or is it quickly forgotten.

That's how the Fountain started creeping up for me. I watched the movie and thought, 'that was alright, but a little confusing.' But I'm still thinking about it two weeks later, and I want to watch it again in high def with the sound turned up on a Friday night. It's become this wonderful movie in my head, hopefully it stays that way.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm
My interpretation of this has subtly evolved over the years. It used to be purely the films I could watch several times in a row without wanting to stop. My favourite ever film still satisfies this criteria more than any other film but it has become slightly less of an issue. Most of my preferences are based purely on their ability to entertain although there are a few where they mean something personal to me.

Nostalgia is also a defining, but less quantifiable, characteristic of my favourite films.

On a side-note, I have an ordered top 3 and could struggle to name the rest of a top 10 in no certain order but I find it very difficult to separate out individual flicks after that. It'd certainly be impossible to have an ordered top 100 list.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 am
I don't really have a list of things I look for, but if a film makes me think, makes me respond in a positive way, makes me want to watch it again or after it ends I start thinking 'I really enjoyed that' then I'd say that it becomes a favourite.

I knew coming out of the cinema after seein g The Dark Knight that it was a big favourite of mine, as it enthralled, interested and entertained me hugely.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

Good point, I always thought there was a distinction between what I felt were good films, and films I actually enjoy watching. For example, while I know that Rashomon is a good film, I have no overwhelming desire to watch it again, while I've probably watched Wanted more than ten times and enjoyed it immensely every time, flawed as it is.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:17 am
I am glad I asked this question! :) It seems everyone has a similar idea behind what is a favorite and even some distinctions between a good movie but not a favorite.

My list eventually will be posted on my blog for anyone bored enough to read it. I am not yet done, hoping to post it by this weekend. But I think I might be over 200. It is not ordered though. Main reason is that they are technically equal in a fashion as one film might really excel in its dialogue, another the overall feel of the film, yet another for theme or underlying theme...you get the idea.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:32 pm
If I wanna watch it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it's a favourite.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 pm
I don’t find it particularly useful to create a criteria for determining whether a film is a favourite or not but I can observe what favourites have in common.

1) They’re good films. Nostalgia doesn’t get very far with me and there’s no such thing as “so bad it’s good” in my book.
2) I’ve seen them several times already. I may see a great movie in the theatre tonight, but I won’t know it’s a favourite until at least a year later when I’ve had the DVD in my collection for multiple viewings.
3) I can watch them again at a moment’s notice. There are many great films that require a certain mood going in whereas my favourites are ones that create the appropriate mood as they play out.
4) I want others to like them. I consider it a privilege to introduce a favourite to someone whose taste I respect. When doing so, I often find myself watching the person as much as the film to gauge their reactions. My opinion of a person may be enhanced or diminished by his take on the film.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
If I wanna watch it over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it's a favourite.

That's a simple, yet apt way of describing it.

The reason I want to watch some movies over and over and over and over again goes to their ability to create a compelling world that I want to spend time in. I tend to like sci-fi a lot, so the films that create interesting futuristic worlds often fulfill this criteria.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 pm
Do these movies have deep character developments, as well as characters you care about?

For example, even if The Abyss had mediocre-written characters, it would have still been a very good popcorn flick. But what turned this into a **** movie for me was how very well written the characters were-they were deep rooted, and was very well acted to boot...you just connected with them from the opening bat. I thought True Lies(another James Cameron movie) was like that too. Too bad Titanic's characters were cheesily written though.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 am
Repeated, enjoyable viewability, non-dependant on one's mental state; that's what makes a favorite.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm
one of my favorite movies is pans labyrinth. am i fantasy guy? no. am i a period peice guy? no. so i dont think genres play into it at all.
ive only seen it twice. and the second time, i was being polite to some guests. its just not a movie you watch repeatedly. and its not enjoyable either. but it is a favorite.
most repeatable movie - office space. not a favorite.

so my answer is - its never one certain thing. whatever clicks.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 pm