Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:50 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player? 
Author Message
Post Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
I'm thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player from Best Buy and I know the store usually offers some kind of protection plan/extended warranty for it.

Is it worth paying the money for a protection plan/extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player? Tell me your experiences.

Any advice would be appreciated.


Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:58 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
It's an economic question really?

Can you answer any or all of these and yes / no becomes apparent :-)

How much did the Blu Ray player cost?

How much does the warranty cost?

Likelihood (%) of breakdown in 3 years? My guess is 25%

Likely price of replacement in 12, 24 and 36 months - My guess is 75%, 66%, 50%

Likelihood that you will upgrade in 3 years

Rob


Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:34 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
Robert Holloway wrote:
It's an economic question really?

Can you answer any or all of these and yes / no becomes apparent :-)

How much did the Blu Ray player cost?

How much does the warranty cost?

Likelihood (%) of breakdown in 3 years? My guess is 25%

Likely price of replacement in 12, 24 and 36 months - My guess is 75%, 66%, 50%

Likelihood that you will upgrade in 3 years

Rob



....................uh.......................So is that a yes or no to my question? lol.


Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
ck100 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
It's an economic question really?

Can you answer any or all of these and yes / no becomes apparent :-)

How much did the Blu Ray player cost?

How much does the warranty cost?

Likelihood (%) of breakdown in 3 years? My guess is 25%

Likely price of replacement in 12, 24 and 36 months - My guess is 75%, 66%, 50%

Likelihood that you will upgrade in 3 years

Rob



....................uh.......................So is that a yes or no to my question? lol.


I think what Rob's trying to say is if you can afford it, get it.


Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
Patrick wrote:

I think what Rob's trying to say is if you can afford it, get it.


Wait... that's not what Rob's trying to say! He didn't write "Run for the hills before you sign up for the extended warranty" but he didn't exactly not write that, either.

Rob was implying that you shouldn't get the extended warranty and I'm seconding that implication. That is, of course, if the extended warranty represents a fair percentage of the cost of the player. Those plans have a nice way of helping out Best Buy improve their margin while giving the consumer the feeling that they've just helped Best Buy improve their margin and, unfortunately, it'll be Ramen Noodles for this week.


Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:06 am
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
majoraphasia wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I think what Rob's trying to say is if you can afford it, get it.


Wait... that's not what Rob's trying to say! He didn't write "Run for the hills before you sign up for the extended warranty" but he didn't exactly not write that, either.



Either Pat's being sarcastic and you're losing the war, or Pat was being serious. Both have scary implications.


Buying a warranty for a Blu-ray player is ridiculous. How many DVD players have you broken in a lifetime? It's silly to put stock in that possibility. However, if the warranty covers being screwed over by a fancier player in a few years, or having wasted good money on a Blu-ray player when a PS3 has that very same ability with various other uses for essentially the same price tag, then yes, buy a warranty. It's fully warranted. Warrant was a good band. 'Cherry Pie'. Good song.


Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 am
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
Me and Major are warring? News to me?

And I was serious


Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
Maybe i should make clear what i was saying

When making a purchase decision you need to ask yourself some questions.

The answer to those questions drive the answer. You cannot just write yes or no

However,

I never buy warranties and hers' why

Modern consumer electronics are remarkably reliable if they survive the first few days/ weeks.

99% of all failures occur at that point in my experience

Let's assume that the Blu Ray player was the Sony and it cost $250

Let's also assume that you're like most people and will upgrade or change player within 3/5 years

Let's also assume that a $250 player today will be about $125 in 3 years time, $199 in 12 months and $149 in two years.

If you also assume that after the first month the likelihood of failure is about 10%

What you have not told us and it's a critical piece of the discussion, is the price of the warranty. To be clear a warranty is a piece of insurance who's price is driven by historic data.

Based on my assumptions, if the price of the warranty is more than 10% of the replacement cost in the future you should not buy it.

So now you have the data, tell me the price of the warranty and i'll tell you what to do. yes or No :-)

What you originally asked me was this

I'm thinking of buying a car and the guy has offered me a price, do you think i should?

You did not tell me anything about the player, the price, the warranty....

have fun
Rob


Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:24 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
OK here's what I'm thinking of:

Blu-Ray player price: $379

Warranty price: $79.99 for 4 year coverage.


Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:13 pm
Post Re: Worth getting an extended warranty for a Blu-Ray player?
I always bargain shop so I end up not buying warranties.

Also, I've never really had a problem with electronics failing on me, except for a couple of DOAs, so from personal experience I just don't feel a need for warranties. I imagine, given enough time something will fail on my and I will change my mind. Hopefully by that point I will have more $ than I do now and will have bought a warranty just for the hell of it.


Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:50 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr