Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:38 am

Box Set Trade-Off 
Post Box Set Trade-Off
People:

I have a "brand new" copy of the first season of Angel that I'd love to get rid of. In full disclosure: I opened it, watched the first two discs and ended up hating the show so thoroughly that I want it out of my presence. You can have it.

BUT...

I'd like to trade you for something. I'm looking for a copy of any of the following films:

Barry Lyndon
Sixteen Candles
Ugetsu
King Kong (the original version or Peter Jackson's)
The Maltese Falcon
Lawrence of Arabia
Network
Prizzi's Honor
Night Moves (1975)
Sante Sangre
El Topo
One From the Heart
The Mirror (Tarkovsky)
The Insider (Michael Mann)
Leaving Las Vegas
Tsotsi
Internal Affairs (the one with Richard Gere)
Any Errol Morris documentary

If you have any of the above films on VHS or DVD and you're willing to trade for six DVDs worth of the Angel (the Vampire Slayer) Season 1 please let me know via PM, email (majoraphasia@gmail.com), or carrier pigeon.

I hope to hear from someone. Really. I really, really hate Angel.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:39 am
Post Re: Box Set Trade-Off
Gotta watch those blind purchases. :D

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 am
Well I have none of those movies, nor do I watch Angel...but why don't you just sell it?

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 am
Patrick might be a genius. I own The Maltese Falcon, Lawrence of Arabia, Network, and The Insider. Now, if major is willing to trade this box set of Angel for one of those DVDs, I could easily sell the box set (I wonder for how much?) and make enough money to re-buy my copy and spend the excess on something else. Maybe I could buy that $40 Criterion version of The Third Man I've been trying to talk myself into getting for the past 2 months. It all really depends on how much I could get for the box set of Angel. How much did it run you, major? In fairness, my dog chewed the case of The Maltese Falcon. My conscience wouldn't allow me to send that to you. Also, The Insider was a gift from my girlfriend, so unless I could hide it from her, I don't think trading that would be a good idea. Any preference between Lawrence of Arabia and Network? LOA was also a gift that I haven't even put in the player yet. I saw it in the theater about a year ago, so I have no desire to diminish that experience by watching it on a TV screen. It's been opened, but unused. Network is a 2-disc special edition that I've watched a couple times.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 am
Maybe it's not about the money? :?

I dunno.

Ever hit up a Goodwill just to see what used T-Shirts they have in stock? I have...and they're my favorites.

:oops:

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:37 pm
I've got sixteen candles. Not a fancy version or anything but I'd trade you.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:55 pm
I'd like to tell you all a little story. May I? Thank you.

I purchased the box set of Angel for $4.00 off of eBay. After shipping and handling I paid all of about $9.00 for the DVDs. It came, so far as I could tell, brand new. It was virtually sparkling. Stilled shrink-wrapped and everything. And I know how it could have been shrink wrapped by someone wanting to create the image of its brand newness but, really, who gives a f*ck? See. The story was little as promised.

Whatever my reasons for not taking it to Slackers or somesuch should be completely meaningless to you. Why I didn't put it on eBay should be completely meaningless to you. I don't care if you sell the discs to get your dog some extra food, purchase The Third Man, or use the money to buy that new liver you've been eyeing at the Medical Waste black market.

People should make an honest effort to actually believe that I wanted to send you, or anyone, the f*cking Angel DVDs because I wanted one of the movies I listed. It seemed like a nice thing to do -- you get something you want, I get something I want. See how those two birds could be bludgeoned with the god damn stone?

If you're somehow, miraculously, able to get more than $10.00 for the DVDs I will print a t-shirt with your name on it and wear it around for the entire day demanding people pay homage to you.

PeachyPete, if you're interested in getting rid of Lawrence of Arabia I'd love to exchange it for Angel: The $4.00-From-Ebay Box Set. If not, pig nash offered something later (I was doing this on a first-come first-serve basis) that, should PeachyPete change his mind, I'd like to exchange.

So, in closing: Moovy1, you are absolutely correct.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm
I'ma pass on this one, but I'm impressed you keep putting yourself out there, majora. I'd even consider trading you Barry Lyndon just for the hell of it, but one of these days I plan on watching it.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:01 am
Pedro wrote:
I'd even consider trading you Barry Lyndon just for the hell of it, but one of these days I plan on watching it.

Damned Barry Lyndon. I feel torn enough on it that I'd have to purchase it to actually see it. What makes it counterintuitive is that, should I rent it, I'd end up keeping the rental for six weeks without ever working up the energy to actually watch it. I don't know why this is. I should see it.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:54 am
majoraphasia wrote:
I'd like to tell you all a little story. May I? Thank you.

I purchased the box set of Angel for $4.00 off of eBay. After shipping and handling I paid all of about $9.00 for the DVDs. It came, so far as I could tell, brand new. It was virtually sparkling. Stilled shrink-wrapped and everything. And I know how it could have been shrink wrapped by someone wanting to create the image of its brand newness but, really, who gives a f*ck? See. The story was little as promised.

Whatever my reasons for not taking it to Slackers or somesuch should be completely meaningless to you. Why I didn't put it on eBay should be completely meaningless to you. I don't care if you sell the discs to get your dog some extra food, purchase The Third Man, or use the money to buy that new liver you've been eyeing at the Medical Waste black market.

People should make an honest effort to actually believe that I wanted to send you, or anyone, the f*cking Angel DVDs because I wanted one of the movies I listed. It seemed like a nice thing to do -- you get something you want, I get something I want. See how those two birds could be bludgeoned with the god damn stone?

If you're somehow, miraculously, able to get more than $10.00 for the DVDs I will print a t-shirt with your name on it and wear it around for the entire day demanding people pay homage to you.

PeachyPete, if you're interested in getting rid of Lawrence of Arabia I'd love to exchange it for Angel: The $4.00-From-Ebay Box Set. If not, pig nash offered something later (I was doing this on a first-come first-serve basis) that, should PeachyPete change his mind, I'd like to exchange.

So, in closing: Moovy1, you are absolutely correct.

Meh, nevermind, go with pig nash. I can't tell if you got so offended because you thought I was trying to take advantage of you or because you think I'm greedy or because I somehow damaged the integrity of your trade. Either way, no offense was meant, and I explained my intentions mostly in jest to make you aware of how one-sided the trade seemed (which I was obviously wrong about). Of course you shouldn't care what I would have done with the box set after I had it, just as I didn't care what you did with it before I would have had it.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 am
PeachyPete wrote:

Meh, nevermind, go with pig nash. I can't tell if you got so offended because you thought I was trying to take advantage of you or because you think I'm greedy or because I somehow damaged the integrity of your trade. Either way, no offense was meant, and I explained my intentions mostly in jest to make you aware of how one-sided the trade seemed (which I was obviously wrong about). Of course you shouldn't care what I would have done with the box set after I had it, just as I didn't care what you did with it before I would have had it.

I'd feel the exact same way if someone else had written what I had. I likely got so offended because, given the day I was having yesterday, I was looking to vent. That doesn't exactly excuse the overreaction but, hopefully, comes slightly closer to putting it into some perspective. I believe I generally keep it together in most of my posts and all humor I use can generally be read as nothing more than what it appears to be. Clearly, after re-reading what I'd written, I was looking to scold when I would have been better off paying some attention to what you'd actually written rather than what I obviously took away -- a call to arms. It'll happen now and again (as it has in the past) but, with some editorial good cheer, not so frequently. Sorry about the stupid shove on my part, Peachy. I was being ridiculous.

So, as it stands, it looks as if pig nash and I are going to be trading some DVDs (or whatever form Sixteen Candles finds itself in his posession). Please let me know via PM or email where I might send the Angel discs -- pig nash'll be alerted to this post via PM -- so we may add the proverbial chocolate to the milk. If pig nash has since muted interest I'll post something to that effect here so any further offers may be entertained.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:51 pm